• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestions for a place in Pamplona to spend 2-3 nights before stating CF?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
Dearest Pilgrims, I am looking for suggestions for a place in Pamplona to spend 2-3 nights Late Sept. 2023 before stating my Camino. I have never been To Pamplona, or to Spain in fact. I am seeking a place where I can get my bearings and recover from jet lag (as well as enjoy the sights!). I will be taking the train from Madrid to Pamplona. Gracias Pilgrims!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
you won't need 2 days to "recover"...fwiw (and I was familiar with Spain/Pamplona) I landed in Madrid at 6:00am, took a train to Pamplona and started my hike at 3:15pm from Castilla (where Running of Bulls begins) and hiked to Obanos. You would be wise to stay one night in Pamplona and then begin your hike to Puente la Reina the next morning. I promise you'll be better off taking this approach then taking 2 days to "recover"...do that on the Camino and it'll be a good time well worth your effort

Dear irishrock, by the time I reach Pamplona I will have been traveling basically nonstop for about 36 hrs so I'm not likely to want to jump up and start hiking (but who knows? Maybe I will!). I am retired and time doesnt really matter - I have as long as it takes! I've worked my entire life to be able to shrug off the chain of time restraints (other than death). Besides, I'm sure there are things to enjoy in Pamplona and surrounds - you know, smelling the roses. Buen Camino dear pilgrim and I hope our paths someday cross.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear irishrock, by the time I reach Pamplona I will have been traveling basically nonstop for about 36 hrs (door to door). I am retired and time doesnt really matter - I have as long as it takes! I've worked my entire life to be able to shrug off the chain of time restraints (other than death). Besides, I'm sure there are things to enjoy in Pamplona and surrounds - you know, smelling the roses.
best advice I could ever give is to "hike your own Camino"...it sounds like you're doing JUST that. Buen Camino

you won't need 2 days to "recover"...fwiw (and I was familiar with Spain/Pamplona) I landed in Madrid at 6:00am, took a train to Pamplona and started my hike at 3:15pm from Castilla (where Running of Bulls begins) and hiked to Obanos. You would be wise to stay one night in Pamplona and then begin your hike to Puente la Reina the next morning. I promise you'll be better off taking this approach then taking 2 days to "recover"...do that on the Camino and it'll be a good time well worth your effort
You may not need time to recover from jet lag, but for many it's important. Additionally, it sounds like @MARSKA wants some time to enjoy Pamplona before starting her Camino, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Hello Marska, sorry I don’t have any recommendations for Pamplona. I decided to fly from the US into Paris and train directly to SJPP and start my Camino on the 22nd after spending 2 nights in France. Either way if you find a nice place there please pass along as that is where I’ll be my 4th night on the trail. Enjoy and good luck!

Dearest Pilgrims, I am looking for suggestions for a place in Pamplona to spend 2-3 nights Late Sept. 2023 before stating my Camino. I have never been To Pamplona, or to Spain in fact. I am seeking a place where I can get my bearings and recover from jet lag (as well as enjoy the sights!). I will be taking the train from Madrid to Pamplona. Gracias Pilgrims!
Sounds like a great idea. I have stayed three times in Pamplona for a couple of nights each time, at what used to be called Hotel Eslava and is now Alda Centro Pamplona - part of a chain of small hotels. I don't know whether it is still the same under the new ownership, but was always a good (and very reasonably priced) place to stay in the old Town, very easy to walk everywhere. The rooms were comfortable and the people very nice. They did a good breakfast too! It may have changed, but I'm gambling on it still being good and have booked for a (non-Camino) stay next month.

If you've not been to Pamplona, it is worthwhile to walk around and see the walls and the fortress structure. The old town is interesting and you can enjoy visiting.

I was personally treated like a dirty, homeless person as a pilgrim during a holiday time that locals were given preferential treatment on a holiday weekend. I have never wanted to stay there again. I was glad to retreat to my hotel where they treated me with respect and dignity.

Unfortunately my hotel is now closed and when we stayed there, there was an all night concert across the street and so we had little rest. My takeaway is that some people love Pamplona. Others can't get away fast enough. (Like me) You might consider a Taxi to Hotel Akeretta near Larrasoanna before Pamplona for the first night of quiet and then give yourself a nice day of walking with the option to stay in Pamplona if you wish.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've stayed at a couple of Pamplona hotels, that I would recommend: The Tres Reyes and Iruna Park.

I've also stayed at a couple of Pensions that were cheaper and fine, but I can't remember the names right now.

Greetings, Marska. I always stay at a comfortable hotel by the main plaza (jusrt a few short steps from a plethora of awesome restaurants), which is very central to all over old Pamplona. It's also very quiet with good soundproofing and the staff are quite professional. It's called Gran Hotel La Perla and you'll definitely find it relaxing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can recommend this place: https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/hostal-bearan.html

While I can’t say that I love or hate Pamplona, I have never had anything but a pleasant time there and have been treated similarly as any of the cities along the Camino. We’ve stayed there twice to do exactly what Marska plans to do (which I think is an excellent idea) and it’s been a perfect place to recover from the long trip, do a little sightseeing, munch a few tapas, and take care of pre-Camino tasks. The location of Hostal Bearan is ideal, including being very close to a post office if you want to send some of your stuff to Santiago.

I will need a place that is willing to accommodate me for 2-3 nights and is conveniently located to grocery store, bars, camino supply store, etc. and has a pleasant "feel". Private toilet and shower. Although I appreciate 4 & 5 star hotels, that is not what I am seeking on this trip. Hostal Bearan looks about right. Thank you!

Dear irishrock, by the time I reach Pamplona I will have been traveling basically nonstop for about 36 hrs so I'm not likely to want to jump up and start hiking (but who knows? Maybe I will!). I am retired and time doesnt really matter - I have as long as it takes! I've worked my entire life to be able to shrug off the chain of time restraints (other than death). Besides, I'm sure there are things to enjoy in Pamplona and surrounds - you know, smelling the roses. Buen Camino dear pilgrim and I hope our paths someday cross.
Hello again Marska. I have a suggestion as you have mentioned that time is no problem for you and you have as long as it takes. Why not take a taxi from Pamplona to St Jean and start there? You can spend a couple of very relaxing days in this gorgeous small town, eating French Basque food and trying their local wine and cider before starting the Camino. It's such a beautiful section between St Jean and Pamplona and it would be a shame to miss it. Given you have lots of time, you could go slowly and enjoy every step by staying in Orisson / Borda, Roncesvalles, Viskarret, Larrasoana and then your 2-3 days in Pamplona. If you don't like the sound of the big hill between St Jean and Roncesvalles, fear not as Express Bouricott have an 08.30 shuttle taking you all the way up to Croix de Thibault making for a short but stunningingly beautiful walk to Roncesvalles (you'd also be travelling the same route as the walking pilgrims to that point). Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This has crossed my mind, dear Joker.
Do you have suggestions for accommodation as I enjoy a couple of very relaxing days eating and drinking to my hearts content in St. Jean prior to slowly floating to Orisson/Borda? Perhaps I shall await my 0830 Express Bouricott chariot in anticipation of a glorious stroll into Roncesvalles.
LOL. Buen Camino!

To 'float' on that steeply inclined 8km stretch between St Jean and Orisson would indeed be delightful. As it is, I regard it as my penance for sins and the first steps on the Camino towards atonement :).

One other plus about St Jean is that you would be starting where many many others start and spending time among other pilgrims also brimming with anticipation and a roller-coaster of emotions is a great way to enjoy a day or two before the morning of reckoning itself.

There are a lot of great places where you'll meet other pilgrims and in those small villages, everything is already central. You already stated you don't want 4/5 star comfort, so you could try mid-range options, such as Villa Esponda in St Jean or perhaps a private room in an albergue. In terms of actually experiencing an albergue, the Roncesvalles albergue is a good introduction as it is very clean, semi(ish)-private, comfortable and has lots of great facilities. Any of the other private options there are fine too, with the pick being the Hotel Roncesvalles / Casa de Beneficiados. Then in Viskarret I've stayed in Casa Batit (but the former place run by a lovely Hungarian couple is sadly now no more). Larrasoana has a couple of simple but adequate places such as Casa Tau (I used to like to stay in Akerreta, but in real terms that place is getting on for 4 star quality).

It'd definitely be wise to book all your accommodation in advance at least until Pamplona as this year is looking busy and this whole section can be a bit of a bottleneck.

Buen Camino and happy planning!

There was a mini San Fermin festival in late September that I had the chance to experience. No running of the bulls, but a parade. Sights: Catdedral, Meson del Caballo Blanco outdoor bar with a great view of the city walls near the catedral, Calle San Nicolas for tapas bars, Caminoteca for last minute items (poles etc.).

I would give Eslava a second. I haven’t been there since the new ownership but great rooms, great breakfast and just enough off the beaten path to be restful and quiet. Why do you need a grocery store?

We stayed at the Alda Centro Pamplona last September for a couple of nights and liked the hotel very much.

I've stayed in Hotel Yoldi and liked it. I'll be doing that again this year.

Hola Marska! My friend and I also stayed at the Hotel Yoldi. It was a perfect location - a short walk to the main square, shops, and sights. The staff was very friendly. There's also a small cafe in the hotel where you can get morning coffee/breakfast. If I remember correctly, they also have a buffet breakfast. The rooms were comfy and clean.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have never been To Pamplona, or to Spain in fact. I am seeking a place where I can get my bearings and recover from jet lag (as well as enjoy the sights!). I will be taking the train from Madrid to Pamplona. Gracias Pilgrims!
I have to strongly disagree with your statement that one does not need 2 days to recover. I have traveled to Europe at least 20 times in my life and 10 times to various countries in South America. The farthest being Buenos Aires from different departure cities all across the United States and Mexico and I always need 2 days to fully recover. I have walked 7 caminos and twice started with only one full day of rest and the first few days on the camino were not the best for me. I believe for some they can walk getting off a long distance plane ride running, others need a day and still others more time. It is different for all. Personally I have alot of trouble sleeping more than a few minutes here and there on a plane and feel even worse if I take something to sleep. I rarely can fall asleep the first night I arrive until late into the night. We are all different. People need to do a best guess based on their own personal sleep habits and I think it is better if you have the time of course, to err on the side of caution. What is the worst thing that can happen if you didn't need a second night? Spending an extra day in one of the most fun cities on earth?
Can't recommend where to sleep as I always stay at the Jesus y Maria albergue. It is right in the heart of the centro historico and a really nice albergue to stay in.

While I can’t say that I love or hate Pamplona, I have never had anything but a pleasant time there and have been treated similarly as any of the cities along the Camino. We’ve stayed there twice to do exactly what Marska plans to do (which I think is an excellent idea) and it’s been a perfect place to recover from the long trip, do a little sightseeing, munch a few tapas, and take care of pre-Camino tasks. The location of Hostal Bearan is ideal, including being very close to a post office if you want to send some of your stuff to Santiago.
I stayed at the Bearan Bar & Room this past Wednesday and my room was small, simple and comfortable for a solo traveler. I enjoyed my stay there as you said it’s an ideal location. The Bearan has an elevator if needed. I forgot something when I left for SJPDP. I notified them that evening and the lady who cleaned my room took it to the office where they are holding it for me. I very much appreciate their thoughtful action.

I stayed at an Airbnb outside of the old town, just 10-15 minutes walk into town. Plenty of services around. I had a private twin room with a shed bathroom (with just one other twin room) . Cost was about 24 euros a night. I stayed for three nights to explore Pamplona and regroup after the Pyrenees. I can send you the contact details of the owner if you want to book with them direct.

Pamplona is one of favourite cities on the Camino, with its own special atmosphere and energy. I've stayed in a few excellent albergues but not really relevant for the OP, but definitely worth a couple of days stay. I sympathise with J Willhaus being treated like a homeless person ... It happens, unfortunately, but less often on the Camino than elsewhere, perhaps because you meet millionaires on the way who look like tramps, which I suppose is what we all are, temporarily. I was in a cafe in Estella this morning looking and feeling a bit rough and the lady who gave me a coffee and asked "algun mas?" as I carefully counted 1.20 in small change. I said no, and she slid a 2 euro pecan pastry along the counter free of charge. That's the Camino for me, just that. Nothing can prepare you for the sheer decency and kindness of the people on the way, pilgrims, hospitaleros and locals alike.

Hola, Marska,
I stayed two nights at the Pamplona Catedral hotel and enjoyed everything immensely. Comfortable room and bath right near the Cathedral, castle walls, and main plaza of Pamplona. I booked two nights not only to relax and see the sights but also to allow a cushion of time ahead of pre-booked Camino stays, in case of travel delays. Took the bus to St. Jean PDP. There is much to enjoy in Pamplona.

Last edited:
Hi there, having stayed there 2 night ago, I highly recommend Hostel Casa Ibarrola. Although sleeping in pods, they are very roomy and have memory foam mattress and plow. Perfectly clean and great lication. Beun camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Recently stayed in the Hotel Avenida, quite close to the bus station. No complaints.

Casa Albergue Ibarrola , for me one of the best accommodations on the camino. The staff could not have been much more helpful.

Pamplona can be very busy but I always enjoy it there . It is nice to have friendly place to stay close in . I found a small municipal albergue called “ Paderborn”. If you are walking into town from SJPP , just after you cross the St Magdalena bridge go left for about 500 yds. It’s on the left with their back to the river . It’s just 500 yds further on to the bull ring where the running of the bulls ends . It’s very close to downtown .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2017 I stayed at Hotel Arriazu in the old city surrounded by restaurants and tapas bars, with easy access to the modern city as well as the old. I loved Pamplona.

We just spent a night at a little apartment just a couple of blocks from the Old City. The owner was very nice and the apartment was both comfortable and reasonably priced (there were 4 of us). It is called Apartamento en zona centrica y tranquila. You can find it on Booking.com.

Pamplona can be very busy but I always enjoy it there . It is nice to have friendly place to stay close in . I found a small municipal albergue called “ Paderborn”. If you are walking into town from SJPP , just after you cross the St Magdalena bridge go left for about 500 yds. It’s on the left with their back to the river . It’s just 500 yds further on to the bull ring where the running of the bulls ends . It’s very close to downtown .
If it’s a municipal albergue, isn’t there a 1 night limit?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From the city website:
”Casa Paderborn is a public hostel for pilgrims and a joint project between the city of Pamplona and the Association of Friends of the Way of St James of Paderborn, its twin city in Germany.”

They don’t take reservations, and they don’t say if they allow more than a one night stay.

that's good to hear as I have booked my room there for my jet lag day May 16 before I head off to SJPP the next day.

Suggest : Hostal Aloha central & private bathroom or shared bathroom .

I have stayed at eslava hotel & Eslava pension big difference between them don’t get them mixed up.
ESLAVA Hotel is very quiet but I am not attracted to stay there again .

Pamplona is a lovely city and great introduction to Spain. Take your time the whole way. I hope your return travel dates are flexible. The thing to remember with Spain is that most cities and large towns have grown around an old historic centre. Keep going till you find the centre, it's all about the old towns. Albergues may have limitations on length of stay or need you to leave early with your luggage so a hostel or cheap hotel may be better for you. I've stayed at Hotel Yoldi several times on non Camino related visits to Pamplona. It's not in the old town but close. Please don't think of the Camino as a challenge to tackle but an experience to enjoy. It's not so much how quickly you do it as how long you take. Leave time for stops in places you like, short walking days and several days in Santiago too, it's amazing. I walked from Pamplona to Santiago in the winter of 2015 in 30 days. Next time I will allow 45 days at least. Buen Camino.

I strongly disagree. I come from Portland Oregon and it takes me 2-3 days to recover from the flight. Everyone is different.

I've stayed at Hostal Bearan (I think they recently changed their name to Bearan Bar) several years and enjoyed it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pamplona, myself!
Get on booking.com and poke around. Find something in Old Town. But do it quick. Things are filling up.
I go nearly every year - PM me if you like for other suggestions.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi. I LOVE Pamplona and it's a wonderful city to recover from your travels. I am acually flying out to Madrid tonight and will take the train to Pamplona the next day and stay 2 nights in Pamplona. Just wonderful to walk around, sit at the main square and just relax. I booked Hostal Arriazu, which is affordable and in a small street behind main square. Last year we stayed at Ciudadela , which was ok too. It will be my 6th time in Pamplona and 2nd time alone (my poor husband has a massive foot injury and has to stay home :( ) I always feel very safe in Pamplona. So enjoy.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi. I LOVE Pamplona and it's a wonderful city to recover from your travels. I am acually flying out to Madrid tonight and will take the train to Pamplona the next day and stay 2 nights in Pamplona. Just wonderful to walk around, sit at the main square and just relax. I booked Hostal Arriazu, which is affordable and in a small street behind main square. Last year we stayed at Ciudadela , which was ok too. It will be my 6th time in Pamplona and 2nd time alone (my poor husband has a massive foot injury and has to stay home :( ) I always feel very safe in Pamplona. So enjoy.
I also love Ariazu. It's very convenient to everything.

I am at Casa Ibarrola right now, also recovering from jet lag, buying hiking poles, and getting organized. Great place! Wonderful staff, cool sleeping pods. Pamplona is great for hanging out. Also go to the Cathedral and eat pintxos.
Hi SM! I looked at Ibarrola. Might give it a go. How difficult is it to get to/from train and Alsa bus from the location?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi SM! I looked at Ibarrola. Might give it a go. How difficult is it to get to/from train and Alsa bus from the location?
Hi @MARSKA ,

The train station in Pamplona is a bit out of town, so you'll need a taxi to bring you to your choice of place to stay. Don't know about the bus station. Whatever place you choose in Pamplona, make sure it is in the centre. In SJPP, everything is centre...

You seem to have studied the Forum well: You seem very prepared to go. Enjoy Pamplona (or SJPP). They are both worth some rest days. Go slow and enjoy.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back