• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sunset on the Aragonés

peregrina2000

Staff member
When I saw an article entitled “Town in Jaca with the most spectacular sunsets on the Camino,” I knew it had to be about Arrés.

Yup!

And the hospitaleros take their guests out to the picnic table, where the views are just amazing. @J Wilhaus confirmed that the tradition lives on. Along with a tour of the church. Such a special place, do not miss Arrés if you walk the Aragonés!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yup! That's the tradition. Puesta del sol every evening. For us before supper with the church tour which now also includes the tour of the restored medieval tower. (You can look out the arrow slits to imagine who might be invading from nearby Navarre.) Then after supper a trip to the Mirador to watch the sun set...

A wonderful albergue that was the project of the priest who founded Hosvol and also who started the albergue at Grañón.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Cuenca de Campos on the Madrid the hospitalero does a similar thing. There is a tower that was originally built to spot storms (I think) that is now the perfect place to spot raptors and take in the sunset. Each night the hospitalero brings pilgrims out to this fabulous spot.
IMG_20230703_215623745_HDR.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
El Burgo Ranero is another albergue that follows the sunset tradition, reputedly accompanied by a chorus of frogs living in the lagoon (actually bog) in the foreground of the photo, but they were mute when we were there. The weather was dull and overcast when we stayed in Arrés, so I had to make do with a shot up the hill as we walked away next morning, picture #3 was a mid morning consolation prize.

When we walked it in 2019, locals were telling us it was the only camino that had seen fewer pilgrims, which seems extraordinary as it is a beautiful route with fascinating historical and natural sites.
P1020778.JPGDSC05817 (3).JPGDSC05825.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I saw an article entitled “Town in Jaca with the most spectacular sunsets on the Camino,” I knew it had to be about Arrés.

Yup!

And the hospitaleros take their guests out to the picnic table, where the views are just amazing. @J Wilhaus confirmed that the tradition lives on. Along with a tour of the church. Such a special place, do not miss Arrés if you walk the Aragonés!
Please, please stop raving about the Aragones. We don't want the secret to get out!!!! ;) 😊 I had just a wonderful night there. It was just a German couple and myself in late October. We couldn't sit outside as it sure looked like rain (Only rained for a few minutes), but that albergue is without a doubt a gem and it is a beautiful and peaceful spot.

Muchas gracias for this information. My French son in law Julien and I will be walking through Arres about mid October. Buen Camino
At some point in the fall and winter, they stop having volunteer hospitaleros, but you can get the key and stay. I am not sure exactly when that will be. I think the bar would be open for eating although you could bring some items and cook. Probably pantry items still available. No store in town. Obviously the sunset will be earlier and the family that owns the bar has a key to the church and medieval tower, too. Fill up your water before you leave as there is no fountain before Artieda the next day (18 km).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Muchas gracias for this specific info, Willhouses. Julien is a real packhorse, we'll bring plenty of food and take lots of water. But I look forward to dinner in the bar. AND THE SUNSET! Buen Camino

At some point in the fall and winter, they stop having volunteer hospitaleros, but you can get the key and stay. I am not sure exactly when that will be. I think the bar would be open for eating although you could bring some items and cook. Probably pantry items still available. No store in town. Obviously the sunset will be earlier and the family that owns the bar has a key to the church and medieval tower, too. Fill up your water before you leave as there is no fountain before Artieda the next day (18 km).
My son and I stayed in Arres in late February 2020. There was only one other pilgrim, who arrived after dark and left early so we never saw him. There was no hospitalero. We ate dinner at the bar. The lady who worked the bar gave us the key. I always wondered about the glowing reviews of the Arres albergue since we did not experience what others have reported. Now I know why. Well, I plan to be there in early October but I will not expect a hospi. But I will make a point of seeing the puesta del sol !!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The general rule of thumb is "if the green car is there, the bar is open" or that was our instruction...

The parents have an acreage down the hill somewhere and grow asparagus. The daughter lives in the village and works at the bar/casa rural with her mom. There is also a brother in town who speaks some English.

They were excavating some more areas on the "mayor's house" so there may be more in addition to the church and tower in the future. The town had a hunting lodge/castle for the Aragones royals which is in ruin, but the cross in the choir loft faces away from the alter and faces the door where the royals entered from the castle.

Lotsof repairs needed in the church roof. We were told there is a bit of an impasse between the church who says the city should do the repair work and the city who says the church should do it...

Hospitaleros clean up the church and tower twice a month. That was Phil's chore and after the rain he had to go back and mop up...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks so much for this update, Janet and Phil. Since you are now the forum Arrés experts, I will ask you another question, sorry!

When I was there, I was told that the government (not sure if national, regional, or local) had offered abandoned and derelict structures in the town to people for a trivial amount, a few euros I think, if they would promise to renovate the house in keeping with traditional style and promise to live there.

Did you ever hear anything about that?

No, did not know about that, but there were several lovely rebuilt places as well as some other real ruins. There was at least one British expat living in the community and some families with kids that take the local taxi/school bus to the area schools.

Also a big sign down at the bottom of the hill about properties.

This may indicate a program of some kind, but Phil and I were not aware of it.

When I walked on the Aragones it was at the end of October. I think I arrived in Puente La Reina about October 28th or so. I was told at many of the albergues that they were going to be closed at the end of October. The albergue in Ruesta is a little different. They were going to have. a mini rock festival in early November and then they were going to close. They told me it all depends. I kind of remember a couple of albergues were open longer as you got close to Puente La Reina. Overall I would not walk it after October.

€46,-
Yes, "es depende..." At Arres it may also depend on the number of available volunteers. Only a few albergues are open for Hosvol volunteers in the winter. (Zamora, Ponferrada, Grañón)

As Americans, Phil and I had to spend a lot more this year by renting a car for 2+ weeks. Normally we don't do that, but it was much further to get groceries and make deposits at the bank than we could comfortably walk. We loved being there, but after I retire in May '24, we could unlikely afford that kind of expense again. We still hope to volunteer, but will rely on assignments with more infrastructure.

Yup!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back