A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Suseya or Suseia??

Brendan@ProjectCamino

Share your Camino story with me!
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 16
Santiago to Finesterre 17
SJPP to Sarria 17
Hi all,

Does anyone know what the correct spelling is??

Suseya or Suseia??

I have read it spelled both ways, so was hoping someone could help clear this up.

Also, does anyone know where in Santiago this picture was taken??

Ultreya-y-Suseya.jpg

Thanks,

Brendan.

Advertisment

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
I am not sure but in Spanish the pronunciation is different and Suseia would be the right one because Suseya sounds similar to Susella .

Advertisment

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
More seriously, it's like asking whether you spell a similar call in English like "heya" or "hey ya". Neither ultreia nur suseia are a word in any known language, and contrary to what one often reads, it's not even certain that it comes from Latin.
Irony may be dead in the Forum ...

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
I'm not a native English speaker - we are talking about spelling in an English language context here, right? - but I thought the answer is obvious: in English, it's Xunta (de Galicia) and all the others are juntas. :)
Yes, if you say Junta can be Andalucia, Extremadura, Castilla León and Castilla-La Mancha but not Galicia that is Xunta.

Camino(s) past & future
'
Irony may be dead in the Forum ...
I did put a big smilie at the end of my reply.

Plus, I did actually get curious about it but that's just because I know from a previous life that it can be very important to native speaker minorities how certain names, words, place names are written/expressed in dominant languages. In this context, I once had to work through a whole night because I had no inkling beforehand of the amount of work waiting for me - and it did actually involve Spain. Maybe I've not yet shaken off this trauma :cool:.

Last edited:

tpmchugh

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Frances (2015)
Hi all,

Does anyone know what the correct spelling is??

Suseya or Suseia??

I have read it spelled both ways, so was hoping someone could help clear this up.

Also, does anyone know where in Santiago this picture was taken??

View attachment 39110

Thanks,

Brendan.
Have seen both words spelt differently so guess either spelling is fine ie ultreia e suseia Who knows

Camino(s) past & future
2011-2017: Home(Germany) to SdC via Cologne-Taizé-Le Puy-Somport-Camino Aragones-Camino Frances
Does anyone know what the correct spelling is?? Suseya or Suseia?? I have read it spelled both ways, so was hoping someone could help clear this up.
My first answer ("The correct spelling is "suseia"") wasn't complete, as I found out. There is no single spelling, but three different ones in the Codex Calixtinus (from ca.1140), where the words are originally taken from:
  • in book 1, chapter 26 it's suseia, ultreia
  • in the appendix 1 within the hymnus "Ad honorem regis summi it's E ultreia esus eia
  • in the appendix 2 within the chant "Dum pater familias" it's E ultreia, e suseia
So it's up to you which spelling you choose. The spelling with y instead of i is obviously a spanish variant.

Harald

Camino(s) past & future
'
three different ones in the Codex Calixtinus [...]
  • in book 1, chapter 26 it's suseia, ultreia
  • in the appendix 1 within the hymnus "Ad honorem regis summi it's E ultreia esus eia
  • in the appendix 2 within the chant "Dum pater familias" it's E ultreia, e suseia
Thanks, this is the first time that I see a direct reference to this second text position in the codex, ie the Ad honorem hymn! And I now see that it says "e ultreia esus eia decantemus iugiter" in the text of this hymn ... "e ultreia esus eia we sing forever". Makes me wonder whether the expression has any more significance than say "eia popeia" (I'm sure you'll get this, @HaraldS :)).

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 85 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.2%
  • June