• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking A Leap Of Faith & Walking The Camino In July! HELP!

Cacique Vargas

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking July 2017
Visited Spain two weeks ago and heard about El Camino on one of tours that I was doing. It really peaked my interest and I did a little research and decided I wanted to do it. I have set a NYC Departure to Spain to begin the walk in July, my Summer School Vacation. I have about four weeks to do this so I would like to know where I should begin the walk that would get me to Santiago en el camino Frances. I do have limited hiking skills and have my gear from local hiking in New York but they have only been day hikes and was a little worried about making it all the way. I am 52 and this would be my first long hike, any help or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome Cacique! I would consider starting in Pamplona (if you are doing the Francés route which is the most popular.) It is a beautiful city and easy to get to. I believe it is possible for most people to make it to Santiago from there in 28 days. You may need to start a little closer though if those days include travel to and from the camino.

Buen Camino!

Oh! Think about starting in SJPP, and walk as far as you can. If you make Santiago in 28 days fine. Otherwise, you can bus, train, or taxi past a few spots, arrive in Sarria, and walk from there. Bear in mind, whatever route you take you must walk the last 100kms to receive your Compostela.
Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Both starting in Pamplona and the starting in St Jean and leap frogging to Santiago are good ideas.
I've done the Frances twice in July and one thing for sure, it's warm and dry. You will only need the minimum of gear. So travel light. I could have easily done them with about 5 kg's of gear.
ultreia

Both starting in Pamplona and the starting in St Jean and leap frogging to Santiago are good ideas.
I've done the Frances twice in July and one thing for sure, it's warm and dry. You will only need the minimum of gear. So travel light. I could have easily done them with about 5 kg's of gear.
ultreia

what do you suggest to pack and leave behind?

Only my perspective, but I don't agree with those who suggest bus transport in order to "start" at "the beginning" and "finish" at Santiago. I have done it that way and it is fine if you are only looking for a good time, a walking holiday. Doing it that way is pretty typical of our usual western, goal oriented, organised, planned, lives.

Instead, I recommend starting in Pamplona or Logroño, so as not to get the "must get there, will have to catch a bus" feeling. Don't make it just another holiday. Walk in a relaxed manner, and keep walking until you get to Santiago. It gives you a better chance of understanding how different it is to walk and keep walking, of how liberating it is not to make any decisions, an understanding of pilgrimage as a physical event, of having no expectations, of living in the moment. Feel the burdens lift! And that will pretty much ensure you will come back - when you can start again further back in France, and walk through St-Jean-Pied-de-Port and the Pyrenees.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
what do you suggest to pack and leave behind?
I would suggest no sleeping bag, but use a liner instead.
No need for a heavy jacket of any kind. A lightweight fleece pullover at the most.
I wore tech shorts and tech t-shirts everyday. Get some of those convertible hiking pants. More versatile. Shorts when you need them, long pants when you need them.
I was never rained on in July, so no need for full rain gear. A lightweight poncho will work.
A good hat to protect you from the sun.
No need for heavy, leather hiking boots.
If you forget anything, or need to replace or need something along the Way, you can always buy it in Spain. Lot's of outdoor shops on the Camino.
Get the Brierley maps only guidebook if you are needing one.
ultreia

Well Cacique, after reading all the posts responding to your original post I agree with everything that everyone said!!!! You have great advice given to you there so make this Camino your Camino and do what feels right... Buen camino. Ed

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you are starting in July, you need to check the timing of the San Fermin festival in Pamplona, the running of the bulls. It is usually around 5th to 15th of July and accommodation around Pamplona will all be booked out.

Last edited:
@Devon Mike makes a good point, and so does @C clearly - seriously think about walking from Logroño. Its a major transport hub and easy to get to, and the first days are an easy introduction to the Camino. I remember having the best hot chocolate the churros in one of the little side streets, as well as great tapas. The hardest part is probably finding the Camino from the train or bus station - its a bit of a hike to the old part of town, where you meet up with the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Whilst starting in SJPdP and arriving in Santiago in 28 days is possible, it would mean you would have a) a big climb over the Pyrenees on your first day and leaves no buffer for rest or short days.

San Fermin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_FermĂ­n is from 6th -14th July, but if you start outside of these days in Pamplona shouldn't affect. Pamplona > Santiago appr. 730km = 26km/day stages necessary.

Starting at the following places gives you these approximate daily stages (assuming 28 full walking days and no rest days):

Logroño - 630km = 22.5km/day
Burgos - 505km = 18km/day

Taking a bus/train to shorten the journey if you run out of time is a possibility but it would also mean to interrupt the continuity/experience of your pilgrimage and to leave new won friends behind.

Depending on how fit you are at the start of your pilgrimage, I would either start in Logroño or Burgos, both places are easy to get to. And if you have time left over at the end of your journey, just enjoy the days in Santiago and/or walk on to Finisterre/Muxia.

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.