Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taking the Invierno from Ponferrada, Oct 2023. Is there an updated Invierno guide?

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I see there are many posts up to fairly recently about the Invierno and I have read many of them. I'm wondering if there is an updated guide as the last one I can find here is from 2019.

I am starting my first Camino near Pamplona this fall on the Camino Frances and I'd like to change to the Camino Invierno either in Ponferrada or perhaps Sarria. It sounds beautiful and might be a welcome change after spending significant time on Camino Frances. I actually thought about just stopping at Sarria and finishing the last 100 at a later time, but if Camino Invierno is an option I'll stay on.

Does this option sound doable for a newbie?

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere in the Invierno sub posts - I guess I missed it? Gracias!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'd like to change to the Camino Invierno either in Ponferrada or perhaps Sarria.

The Invierno doesn't go through Sarria, so you can't switch there.

You might want to study a map of all of the routes.

wisepilgrimcaminomap.gif

For a newbie, I think that following the Camino Francés all the way is probably best. What you aren't taking into consideration is the effect that your (as yet unknown) walking companions will have on you. By the time you reach Ponferrada you will have been walking for several weeks with the same cohort of pilgrims. You may want to strike out on your own at that point, but I suggest that you keep your plans loose, and make the decision when you get to that point.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To answer your question about guides, there is a Brierley guide for the Invierno, available to order from Ivar's store. The Invierno is also covered at Gronze.com.

I agree that it would be best to wait to make your decision. In addition to the issue of pilgrim friends, and crowds, the Invierno route will add 2 or 3 days, so you would need to consider that.

Check the app stores for the Wise Pilgrim Guides. I know the author personally and can attest that he keeps his digital content as up-to-date as possible.

Print guidebooks are, by their nature, obsolete fairly quickly. But the better ones, like the Wise Pilgrim series make interim .pdf downloads available for between- printing updates.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I actually thought about just stopping at Sarria and finishing the last 100 at a later time, but if Camino Invierno is an option I'll stay on.

Wise Pilgrim took over our forum guide and is updating it. I know many who have used it happily. It’s in the app store.

But as @trecile has noted, you can’t join the Invierno in Sarria. Only turnoff is in Ponferrada.

After walking for several weeks on the Francés, you’ll have a pretty good sense of your comfort level and fitness level. I don’t think the Invierno presents any huge challenges. It is extremely well marked, and there are plenty of services. You’ll just have to decide if you want to be on what has been a very solitary route. Many of us love it for exactly that reason, but it might not be for everyone. I think the numbers will be increasing this year, with the publication of Brierley’s guide, but you won’t find crowds, that’s for sure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I see there are many posts up to fairly recently about the Invierno and I have read many of them. I'm wondering if there is an updated guide as the last one I can find here is from 2019.

I am starting my first Camino near Pamplona this fall on the Camino Frances and I'd like to change to the Camino Invierno either in Ponferrada or perhaps Sarria. It sounds beautiful and might be a welcome change after spending significant time on Camino Frances. I actually thought about just stopping at Sarria and finishing the last 100 at a later time, but if Camino Invierno is an option I'll stay on.

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere in the Invierno sub posts - I guess I missed it? Gracias!
We walked the start of the Invierno but saw no pilgrims along the way. The start is beautiful but very lonely. Well signposted but not very good in Ponferrada! The sign is damaged and only half of it there. We decided to go back to Ponferrada and continue along the CF as far more sociable!

Since I am not fond of the part of the CF after Sarria, I would be interested in the Invierno, but I would not want to bypass O Cebreiro, especially if I hadn’t walked that section of the Camino before. The hike up there, although difficult, is gorgeous alpine scenery, and the Tolkien-esque town itself is a major highlight of the CF. Heck, even having done it twice, I wouldn’t want to miss it.

96243812-A419-47C1-A05D-4E9D1767A5FA.jpeg9C9C3299-5904-4CB3-B64F-7B085D662A85.jpeg5068B1CF-EE0F-40BD-89B1-79BFC0694664.jpegAD5908D4-60C0-4BBD-AFEF-2C89155C5651.jpeg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Hi there,
I just wanted to mention there is a wonderful guide, published locally by a well known gentleman. He has been promoting the Camino de invierno even before it was popular. His name is Jose Rua Perez, his guide are in both languages(Spanish/English). When you purchase his guide, you also have access to the web site (wonderful place to research while on the camino, if you don't want to carry the guide).
I used his latest version last year.
www.caminodeinvierno.es

I did the invierno in October/November, beautiful, without the congestion you find in the Frances.

Buen Camino,
Texasguy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there,
I just wanted to mention there is a wonderful guide, published locally by a well known gentleman. He has been promoting the Camino de invierno even before it was popular. His name is Jose Rua Perez, his guide are in both languages(Spanish/English). When you purchase his guide, you also have access to the web site (wonderful place to research while on the camino, if you don't want to carry the guide).
www.caminodeinvierno.es

I did the invierno in October/November, beautiful, without the congestion you find in the Frances.

Buen Camino,
Texasguy

Hi, Texas guy, I am pretty certain that José is the guy pictured with Asún (owner of the house where pilgrims used to stay till it got to difficult for her and her mother). My blog from my first Invierno is here. My post from June 10, 2011 has a picture of the two of them. I remember that we spent a few hours painting arrows, These guys have been longstanding supporters of the Invierno, and I hope they are happy to see that their efforts to popularize the route seem to be paying off.

Google maps, Maps.me and any other decent mapping app will provide a walkable route from O Cebreiro or Sarria to Monforte de Lemos https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mon...cbb084e79a91!2m2!1d-7.043627!2d42.7078162!3e2

There's an argument to be made that the "original" Invierno threw a right at Monforte or thereabouts up to Sarria if you accept that the "Winter" route was the one you took as a snow-dodger
Most interesting.
Frances: roughly, from Ponferrada to O Cebreiro is about 52 km. From O Cebreiro to Monforte anywhere from 59-69 km depending on route.
Invierno: Ponferrada to Monforte is about 126 km. So, crossing in a southwesterly manner, provided lodging is available is 111-121 km. Wonder if anyone has attempted it, might have even met more Peregrinos than the Invierno in November, LOL.

Hi there,
www.caminodeinvierno.es

Buen Camino,
Texasguy
What were the temperatures? We usually walk in the early spring but I am thinking of early October. Also any problem with places being closed for the season
Thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would love to walk O Cebreiro and then go back to the Invierno. All us Invierno crazies love to make it up as we go along.
Has anyone done this?
I'm thinking of doing the Invierno and then doing a bus trip or something to O'Cebreiro just to say hi to it. I walked through there 23 years ago, so it's not like I've never seen it, but I think this time the Invierno is calling. Although things could be different by the time I get to Ponferrada. We'll see.

Hi, Texas guy, I am pretty certain that José is the guy pictured with Asún (owner of the house where pilgrims used to stay till it got to difficult for her and her mother). My blog from my first Invierno is here. My post from June 10, 2011 has a picture of the two of them. I remember that we spent a few hours painting arrows, These guys have been longstanding supporters of the Invierno, and I hope they are happy to see that their efforts to popularize the route seem to be paying off.
You are correct!! We have become friends since 2015. He is an incredible gentleman. I try to meet with him every year when I am in Santiago.
I think everyone that worked so hard to get this Camino de Invierno moving ahead is very happy with the progress.

What were the temperatures? We usually walk in the early spring but I am thinking of early October. Also any problem with places being closed for the season
Thank you
Rosemary314,
The temperatures were cool in the morning and evenings, but wonderful walking weather. We only walk in late winter or early fall.
Buen Camino!!!

Texasguy

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back