• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tendinitis day 2

MariposaTraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances-Beginning May 13th in SJPP
it looks like I've got patellar tendinitis 2 days into my camino from SJPP. I've gone thorough other forum posts about this issue and have gotten voltaren cream, poles, and a tendon strap to wear. I'm planning on taking a rest day in Pamplona tomorrow. Besides ice and elevate is there anything else I can do? I don't want to have to stop walking.

Also side note, when taking a rest day since I will have to leave the albergues at 8 do I just have to carryy pack around until they open up again?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
it looks like I've got patellar tendinitis 2 days into my camino from SJPP. I've gone thorough other forum posts about this issue and have gotten voltaren cream, poles, and a tendon strap to wear. I'm planning on taking a rest day in Pamplona tomorrow. Besides ice and elevate is there anything else I can do? I don't want to have to stop walking.

Also side note, when taking a rest day since I will have to leave the albergues at 8 do I just have to carryy pack around until they open up again?

This is a topic I know extremely well as I could barely walk at the end of day 2. I even wrote a big post about it:
https://caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/why-the-camino-scares-me.31469/

If you are in Pamplona now at where you wish to stop today for a rest day ask this morning about leaving your pack while they clean and set up for new business.... Also be sure to drink ENOUGH WATER even on a rest day and especially on walking days.

Last edited:
I see many pilgrims injured after the first 2 days.
This can be avoided by taking it SLOW and instead of trying to get to Roncesvalles that first day, taking it in two or even three days. I'm so sorry you are hurt. Take some time in Pamplona to rest and then go slow. Nothing says you can't bus or taxi a few days either. Take care...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Two quick replies both important:

1) Do not be tempted to take pain killers - ibuprofen (the stuff thats in Advil) can be purchased over the counter in pharmacies in double and triple doses enough to knock out a Cape Buffalo- it will help with the pain but continuing to walk while "floating high" will only make things worse - big time.
2) Rest by all means, since leaving Pamplona you will face the climb to Alto del Perdon which you may find arduous with tendinitis the descent on the other side more so. Consider a bus on to Puente la Reina or even Estella.
Doctors will recommend canceling your Camino if the pain persists consider acupuncture in Logrono or Burgos if you still are suffering -it truly works.
Mspath got it right walk slow and drink as much water as you can hold!

I am currently waiting for a bus 10k from Pamplona. Me in my stoic mind thought I could make it there on foot today and take a break tomorrow. Thank you for all of the replies. My pack weighs 6-7kg WITH water. Going to take a day maybe 2 in Pamplona and hope it's enough to keep going. I would absolutely hate to end my camino so soon for something like this. I feel like my body is betraying me after I've been planning this trip for over 2 years.

I think one of the biggest lessons the camino teaches is acceptance of what is: sometimes our best laid plans go awry, and we can't control that, but we can control how we respond to that. Sorry if this sounds trite in relation to your current experience, which must be very frustrating, but I also sincerely believe that miracles happen when we take a step back and let things unfold in their own way... Treat yourself and your body with the same love and respect you would bestow on any other injured traveller you met along the way. It might not be the camino you'd planned, but it might be the camino you need right now. x

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Take care of yourself. I would suggest taking a couple of days off and then looking into sending your pack ahead, at least for a few days. This helped my husband when he had tendonitis a few years ago. Wishing you the best and buen camino!

Two quick replies both important:

1) Do not be tempted to take pain killers - ibuprofen (the stuff thats in Advil) can be purchased over the counter in pharmacies in double and triple doses enough to knock out a Cape Buffalo- it will help with the pain but continuing to walk while "floating high" will only make things worse - big time.
2) Rest by all means, since leaving Pamplona you will face the climb to Alto del Perdon which you may find arduous with tendinitis the descent on the other side more so. Consider a bus on to Puente la Reina or even Estella.
Doctors will recommend canceling your Camino if the pain persists consider acupuncture in Logrono or Burgos if you still are suffering -it truly works.
Mspath got it right walk slow and drink as much water as you can hold!

sure, rest by all means, but DO take ibuprofen. it kills the pain because reducing inflammation, which left uncontrolled will cause more sustained damage. in Spain without prescription you can get 600mg pills, which will be recommended to take 3x daily with plenty of water. if your stomach tolerates this (no ulcer etc), the dose might be even increased.

Albergue Jesus y Maria normally lets pilgrims stay for more than one night if they have health problems. They do have a lovely backyard where you can put your feet up and drink lots of water. Resist the temptation of sightseeing, even without a backpack. Buen Camino and speedy recovery, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have had tendonitis twice and seen other people with it, time out is the best healer a day or two, later if you can do it a little stretching may help but not while it is inflamed, some one gave me the acronym a few years ago RICE, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. It may work for you, take it easy when you do start walking again, if you have to rush leave it until the later stages.

Like it has been said it could be a blessing, have seen it in other people and myself something has happened to disrupt the flow and plans of their/my Camino and in comes the unexpected gift.

Buen Camino

Just checked online what advice was been give for tendonitis and Oops have to apologise, RICE as a process is advised against, rest and elevation is good but using ice slows down and hinders the healing process as do some anti- inflammatory medicines, the inflammation( within limits) is good to begin with it is a healing process.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

The lesson that we just learned since being back from walking the Camino is drink, drink, drink, do not tie boots too tight or even change the lacing, shorten the stages. Maya

I developped plantar fasciitis last fall on CdelNorte a week after starting out. I kept walking, busing part of each day. When I got home I limped for two and a half months. Pain remained until March. That's 7 months, and I am lucky it has not lasted longer. In fact, the pain returned two weeks ago and I was not happy considering I am heading out again on Sunday. But, knock on wood, with a daily 75mg slow release voltaren I am pain free again, at least for the moment.

This is what my podiatrist has me doing: I am forbiden to put a foot on the floor without a shoes on that has good support. So it's my orthotics when I leave the house, my Birkenstocks as slippers in the house. I also alternate between two types of orthotics: the really stiff ones and a softer pair: half the day in one, the other half in the next.

Advil 3 times a day. Icing my foot while rolling it on a bottle of frozen water 10 minutes every hour. Stretches of the toes and calf. You can roll a ball under your foot to stretch that part as well, a tiny ball, like a golf ball.

If you want to keep walking, and suffer from Plantear Fasciitis you cause more damage, as I did. But at the very least do consider sending your bag ahead in the morning to limit the weight on your foot, Advil if your stomach and take it, or voltaren, and stopping in every place that has a bar, buying a cafe con leche and asking for ice for your foot. Do not walk barefoot, ever. Since you're in Pamplona, try to find a place that could sell you non-prescription orthotics that offer some arch support.

Good luck!

If you want a comfortable spot to rest for a few days try the private Albergue Maribel Roncal in Zigur Menor. You can take a bus to the village from Pamplona. The albergue has been family run for more than 50 years and Maribel is a most helpful hostess who speaks several languages. Call and explain your situation before arriving. Reservations are accepted and there is a large garden for relaxing.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Mariposa,
If I can toss in my two cents worth...

I would strongly suggest that you take a few days off--read a book, look at the sights from a stable position, like a cafe chair. Don't fret; the Camino is still going to be there several days later. This is the most essential thing you can do right now. (It's called relative or active rest. The rule of thumb is - don't do anything that reproduces your pain for the initial two or three days. After that, you need to get it moving or other problems will develop.)

As Mike said above, RICE is now not advised for injuries--but more to the point, for injured tendons and ligaments, such as the patella tendon . If you want to try it, try it but not for too long: 10 -15 minutes at a time; your call.

There are two trains of thought in the treatment world: RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) and MEAT (movement, exercise, analgesics, treatments). RICE seems to be better for acute muscular injuries whereas MEAT seems to be better management for tendon and ligament injuries, such as patellar tendinitis. I've suggested a little bit of A and a little bit of B for you. If you can get in to see a massage therapist--or a physio (who will apply either RICE or MEAT practices on your knee and leg)--she or he will be able to assist you with this in person.

The knee strap is great but I would wear that after your knee injury has calmed down. You want a compression bandage or elastic support right now. Don't wear it 24 hours a day; wear it when you are moving around. After the inflammation around the knee has retreated, you might want to wear it while walking for a number of days, as a support. Don't get one that is too small or tight; you want support, not constriction!

The other thing you want to do is to stretch. The quadriceps muscles that attach to the patella are probably overworked and not strong enough. A tight muscle is different from a strong one: a tight muscle is overused and weak, which offers no help in the form of protection or mobility, in this case to the knee joint. One specific muscle in the quadriceps group, the vastus medialis--the muscle on the inside of the thigh--is usually the weak culprit, especially in women. If it is weak, as it usually is in (a lot of) women, it will pull the patella--the kneecap--out of alignment and can set the joint up for a tracking problem and then, subsequently, with runner's knee, aka, patella tendinitis. You need to stretch your quad muscles (and toss in the hamstrings and calf muscles--front and back) then start to strengthen the quads, especially the vastus medialis on the inside of your leg. Legs, plural. Both legs!

If you can find a massage therapist in Pamplona who has an available appointment, I would also highly suggest seeing him or her. It will help speed up the healing process. There are several there; I'll send you a message with some names and contact info.

Sorry for the long long and clinical note; I am a Registered Massage Therapist in Canada with 21 years of experience; 23 years if you include my training; 8000 years if you include my post-graduate education! :) As you are not my client, my information is purely for that--information. As a therapist, I also can't suggest medications as that is out of my scope of practice. But as a pilgrim, if it was me in your shoes, I would make my way to a farmacia for some (natural) analgesics, that contain proteolytic enzymes, to help with recovery and pain relief. These are more readily available, apparently, in Europe than in N. America. If it was me, I would also avoid anti-inflammatories.

Get a good book, a cuppa tea, calm your fidgety desire to walk now and rest. In a few days, get into Pamplona and see a massage therapist. You should be good to go after that (but take it easy! don't over do it; you want to enjoy the Camino and not worry about injuries!)

All my best from sunny and warming up (9°C right now!) PEI, Canada!

Last edited:
Here I go again! Why does everybody want to leave from SJPP?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
SJPP is a beautiful walled city...the climb over the Pyrenees is beautiful...it is relatively easy to get to from Paris by train...it is considered by many to be "the" start point for the CF and, of course, it is where Martin Sheen's character started his journey in "The Way." It comes down to personal choice as does going back to the Camino Frances when there are so many other long hikes in the world as well as so many other Caminos that end up in Santiago. De gustibus non est disputandum.

You may have to change your footwear. What you have now may not be providing the proper cushioning stability and motion control necessary to prevent tendinitis. They have outdoor shops in Pamplona. If the footwear is indeed the problem, it will only get worse as you walk.
Hope you heal up soon and best wishes.
cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everyone has their treatment for tendonitis. ..same as blisters.

I developed it prior to my Camino and am still walking 16 days in.

I got professional advice....

Try to get to a health professional to get checked out! That way you will know what you care dealing with and how best to manage it.

Go natural!

You'll have to find the Spanish translation, but I'm carrying 2 months supply of Tumeric capsules and loads of black pepper corns! The active ingredient in Tumeric is called curcumin and it has many medicinal properties, apart from culinary ones. One of them is as an anti-inflammatory agent. It doesn't digest well, but there is something in black pepper that helps the process. I take two tablets and half a dozen crushed peppercorns every morning, washed down with water. It also helps aching bones stop aching. Do a bit of research if you can. In the UK, some pharmacies sell curcumin tablets so you could try the Spanish ones. The only side-affect that I'm aware of is that you might go orange, but you can put that down to the Spanish sun!

Here I go again! Why does everybody want to leave from SJPP?
I highly recommend it and would only do it that way. I think it's a cool little French town in the mountains. I really liked the atmosphere the place had, Camino wise when I first was there during the height of the walking season in July. So many fellow pilgrims. You could feel the vibes. Not to mention the walk over the beautiful Pyrenees. Walking from one country into another. Really a cool thing to do. Been to a lot of places in the world, but before that had never walked over a mountain range from one country to the next.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm with you Anna Kappa.
After dealing with Achilles tendinitis while training, (and not being able to walk for 4 weeks), I made the decision that was right for me, to start in Roncesvalles.
One day, I'll walk from Le Puy France to Roncesvalles though.

I highly recommend it and would only do it that way. I think it's a cool little French town in the mountains. I really liked the atmosphere the place had, Camino wise when I first was there during the height of the walking season in July. So many fellow pilgrims. You could feel the vibes. Not to mention the walk over the beautiful Pyrenees. Walking from one country into another. Really a cool thing to do. Been to a lot of places in the world, but before that had never walked over a mountain range from one country to the next.
Basque country was my favorite part. Are you considering the EPW? Walking thru six countries sounds pretty cool.

Basque country was my favorite part. Are you considering the EPW? Walking thru six countries sounds pretty cool.
That would be a nice walk for sure. Hope it gains popularity and develops an infrastructure of hostels and such like the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That would be a nice walk for sure. Hope it gains popularity and develops an infrastructure of hostels and such like the Camino.
It sounds as if it is really coming along. I've been following it on FB and some of the accommodations are beautiful--and affordable. I like that it is still not quite wide open and crowded.

Hello.
In accordance with the rules of the Saint James Congregation in SdC pilgrims have the right in case of illness to stay up to 3 nights in the albergue!
Buen Camino
Jochen

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I too got tendinitis on my 2 nd day,it was coming down to Roncesvallaes that did it, I iced it daily, used Bio freeze but what helped me most of all was taping it up,you can buy the tape from any Pharmacy,it has to be taped correctly to work, I was lucky that partner is a physio and knew how to do it.It saved me and I completed the 790 k in 28 days last June & loved every moment of it !!

Is there is more Basque country in France than Spain ??

Because of "that movie". :)
Scottie , if you think MS movie a few years ago had any influence on the numbers starting in StJ then you are into the moonshine mate.
Check with Ivar and find where the pilgrims commence who end up @ Santiago.
Find the numbers over a decade of pilgrims commencing in StJPdP.
The numbers might surprise.

I had difficulties after walking it, still would like to do it again, maybe next time start 3 to 4 days back. Its a hard introduction.[/QUOTE

Navarrenx .... great starting town ,
Short day to Bellevue [old pelerins and pool in property],
Ostabat , Famous town for the camino , then 20km to
St.JPdP , have lunch and head to Valcarlos.

Hope Gillespie can get your mob playing an attacking game.
He will be the coach Mike,

Thank you everyone for all of the help. Things are getting better after a day of rest. I'll be taking one more day just to make sure I'm good to go then it's off to the camino once more.

No camino families Mariposa , take your time at your own pace and in step with the limbs.....your limbs.
And just when you think you need a good soaking bath, good meal in a restaurant and a good nights sleep without the snoring , only yours , then stop and enjoy the many wonderful hotels/pensions available.

Last edited:
Dear fellow sufferers. Cramps and tendonitis are entwined. The usual going to bed ,sleepy, only to be up again 5 mins. later with agony in the ankle tendons... Read a book in bed- no way! Cramps in fingers -ditto when driving.
But the best one is behind my left Knee,!! It can cripple me at any time of day. HOWEVER! experiments with quinine, calcium, etc did nothing. I find that large doses of magnesium are miraculous, work very quickly the relieve the cramp pulling the tendon. (Three a day of 300mg. strength is good: more is diarhoea)
It works for me- my son thinks I'm an alien reptile- so it might not work for you.
Regards my brother
dave

Dear fellow sufferers. Cramps and tendonitis are entwined. The usual going to bed ,sleepy, only to be up again 5 mins. later with agony in the ankle tendons... Read a book in bed- no way! Cramps in fingers -ditto when driving.
But the best one is behind my left Knee,!! It can cripple me at any time of day. HOWEVER! experiments with quinine, calcium, etc did nothing. I find that large doses of magnesium are miraculous, work very quickly the relieve the cramp pulling the tendon. (Three a day of 300mg. strength is good: more is diarhoea)
It works for me- my son thinks I'm an alien reptile- so it might not work for you.
Regards my brother
dave

Came across many pilgrims who started in their home towns in Holland , Germany and Austria Dave that swear by magnesium.
Son is a paramedic who runs marathons all the time..........magnesium dad, is what he preaches to this ageing hack.
No need for spanish and when the need arises when you are not sure of the bear size , ask the first on your right .
You should be finished by now however hope the camino was all you desired.

Last edited:
if you think MS movie a few years ago had any influence on the numbers starting in StJ then you into the moonshine mate.
Departures from SJPdP increased 8.9% in 2011 (the year "The Way" was released), 14.4% in 2012, 19.6% in 2013, and 10.4% in 2014.

Departures from Roncesvalles and Via de la Plata were pretty flat, with decent growth on the Camino Ingles and Camino del Norte. Departures from Sarria showed considerable growth.

upload_2015-5-17_6-49-11.png

Cause and effect are open to interpretation, but growth increased after The Way.

Cause and effect are open to interpretation, but growth increased after The Way.
I may not be reading this chart well but while it does show an increase in 2010 numbers dropped again the year, making the growth quite linear over 10 years, except for Saria that has seen a jump. What would be interesteing to see is the number of Americans before and after the movie, because let's face it, The Way is first and foremost a movie for the US market.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Regards my brother
dave

Hi Dave,
If you are getting cramps, it may mean you have a slight magnesium deficiency and are right on the money with magnesium supplements.

Basically--muscle-wise--calcium stimulates muscle activity (contracts them), magnesium decreases muscle activity (relaxes them) and Vitamin D improves muscle efficiency and reduces muscle ache (amongst other things). The three minerals also have other important functions in the body.

Magnesium, is known as the relaxation mineral and easily be gotten through diet. Think fibre: legumes, whole grains, vegetables (especially broccoli, squash, and green leafy vegetables), seeds, and nuts (especially almonds), dairy products and meat. Here's the great part: you can also get magnesium from chocolate, and coffee! Water with a high mineral content, or “hard” water, is also a source of magnesium. People of different ages need different amounts of magnesium--adult males = 400 - 420 milligrams/day.

By the way, a cramp is a painful and continuous spasm in a muscle (usually caused by nutrient deficiency); tendinitis is an inflammation in a tendon. The two aren't the same thing or related, actually.

Sorry for jumping in; I hope your cramps go away soon. You might want to see your doctor if they continue...
Cheers!
Heather

Departures from SJPdP increased 8.9% in 2011 (the year "The Way" was released), 14.4% in 2012, 19.6% in 2013, and 10.4% in 2014.

Departures from Roncesvalles and Via de la Plata were pretty flat, with decent growth on the Camino Ingles and Camino del Norte. Departures from Sarria showed considerable growth.

View attachment 18584

Agree Falcon but there was a line showing the increase going back to 2004.
It seems more are starting now in France than Roncesvalles but could the spike in 2010 be related to recovery from the recession.
The Norte is a great second camino and i think the figures show that.

when I first researched about the Camino, Roncesvalles was shown as the starting point for the Camino Francés.

The spike in 2010 is from being a Holy Year. I have no guess on causation. Kape Kerkeling caused a big increase in German walkers, which is still going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi how is the tendinitis now? I have also suffered from it on a previous camino besides the ice and elevation I also used a GEL called ANTISTAX which I rubbed morning and night as well as when I felt pain on the way. I also got good advice to put a half inner gel sole under my heels in the boots this I found really helped immediately . I also found walking forward on the front part / toes - down any incline helped. Ice your leg whenever you stop at a café/bar.... respect your pain and attend to it often .I hope this helps you.....all the best

As someone who has spent a lifetime dealing with knee injuries, there are many times I could not have managed without anti-inflammatories or ice. Last year after a knee replacement, I suffered a patellar tendon rupture with a very long rehab. I'm close to being totally back to normal, but a few weeks ago, when stepping up my walking and cycling, I developed patellar tendonditis. Rest (number 1), ice, stretching, massage and some Aleve got me moving again. I have also begun using kinesio tape, strapping for IT band tightness and for patellar tendon inflammation. It gives support without having to resort to the full knee brace. I'm happy, my knee is happy, and training for the camino has resumed. I will never give up using ice when I hurt. I hope you find the treatment that is right for you. Good luck and speedy healing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
when I first researched about the Camino, Roncesvalles was shown as the starting point for the Camino Francés.

It is called "Camino Francés" because it was used by the majority of french pilgrims. Roncesvalles was the principal entrance to Spain through the western Pyrenees in the Middle Age. Technically it starts after the border, in Roncesvalles.

Anyway, everybody started from their own home town and walked right to the nearest point of the path. And then to Santiago.

Hello everyone.
The name of Camino "Francés" is a name misnomer
In this case "Francés" provienw of "Francas" in old Spanish language was referring to the towns and villages that were "Francas" (not paid taxes to the king). Numerous villages were built along the way to help pilgrims Villafranca Montes de Oca, Villafranca del Bierzo, etc. and they were free "Francas" to pay taxes.

I stayed at the albergue in Pamplona this summer and I too wanted to stay on for another day. You leave your rucksack in a locker in the morning. No need to carry it around with you. ML

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone.
The name of Camino "Francés" is a name misnomer
In this case "Francés" provienw of "Francas" in old Spanish language was referring to the towns and villages that were "Francas" (not paid taxes to the king). Numerous villages were built along the way to help pilgrims Villafranca Montes de Oca, Villafranca del Bierzo, etc. and they were free "Francas" to pay taxes.

That explaination is valid for the towns called Villafranca, Vilafranca or Villefranche but it isn't, in my opinion, for the Camino. There is a clear link between 'franco' (exent, privileged) and 'francés' (french) since both words come from ancient franc, the name of the germanic 'barbarians' who settled the modern France, precisely named that way after them.

In Spain (the former kingdoms) in the Middle Ages, those who came from further over the Pyrenees were ususally called 'francos', even if they weren't french. In fact, as the Spanish Royal Academy states, the term 'francés' comes from provenzal 'fransés'; the term 'franco' was the usual untill 'francés' became the official to name those natives from France.

I'm pretty sure the name Camino Francés is because of the path that french pilgrims (francos or franceses) walked. But it's just my opinion.

Sorry for the long off-topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

I experienced patellar tendinitis after 15 or so days on the French Way. I lightened my load, by sending some items ahead to Santiago, cut myself slack for one day by using a pack ferrying service. I also went to a farmacia and bought a flexible knee brace (tan in color and with approx. 3 in. of material on both ends from the articulated opening). I was good to go from then on in and was incredibly relieved as I thought I might be down and out for a longer time frame. Buena suerta

Dear Heather et al.
I was wrong about muscle cramps and tendonitis being the same.
I found an excellent resource in the website below
"How to finally get rid of your patella tendonitis.htm"
It's not for pilgrims on the road - it is a rehab. program, but there's lots of good stuff to do for leg strength and flexibility a lot of it involving a 'roller' - think giant paint roller! It's good preemptive program.
I'm very good at tripping over stuff. I have ankle supporting boots,
and I might use knee and wrist strapping on 'risky' sections.
I also have walking poles.
Hasta la revista -Dave

Hi Pabloke.

The dictionary of the Royal Spanish Language Academy.
Franco, ca. adj.
4th.sense.: "Applied to the things that are free from taxes and contributions, and places, ports, etc. on which this exemption has"
Only after 6th.sense appears : "Belonging to the Germanic peoples of Franconia and Lower Rhine who conquered France and gave it a name"
Un saludo.

I developped plantar fasciitis last fall on CdelNorte a week after starting out. I kept walking, busing part of each day. When I got home I limped for two and a half months. Pain remained until March. That's 7 months, and I am lucky it has not lasted longer. In fact, the pain returned two weeks ago and I was not happy considering I am heading out again on Sunday. But, knock on wood, with a daily 75mg slow release voltaren I am pain free again, at least for the moment.

This is what my podiatrist has me doing: I am forbiden to put a foot on the floor without a shoes on that has good support. So it's my orthotics when I leave the house, my Birkenstocks as slippers in the house. I also alternate between two types of orthotics: the really stiff ones and a softer pair: half the day in one, the other half in the next.

Advil 3 times a day. Icing my foot while rolling it on a bottle of frozen water 10 minutes every hour. Stretches of the toes and calf. You can roll a ball under your foot to stretch that part as well, a tiny ball, like a golf ball.

If you want to keep walking, and suffer from Plantear Fasciitis you cause more damage, as I did. But at the very least do consider sending your bag ahead in the morning to limit the weight on your foot, Advil if your stomach and take it, or voltaren, and stopping in every place that has a bar, buying a cafe con leche and asking for ice for your foot. Do not walk barefoot, ever. Since you're in Pamplona, try to find a place that could sell you non-prescription orthotics that offer some arch support.

Good luck!
very helpful,i have this problem also,getting better but has taken almost 8 months !

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.