• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Terrorist Attacks in Paris -are all our pilgrims safe?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
The news is ablaze with info on the terrorist attacks on Paris this afternoon.

Do we have any pilgrims flying into Paris today?
The French government has closed the borders coming in and going out.

If you have plans to fly in or out of Paris in the next day or two, you may want consider to reroute via Madrid or another city.

Praying for the people of France. :(

Many news stations are reporting. Here is one:
http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/paris-ile-de-france-fr/

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I replaced the link with one I believe to just be reporting breaking news from various stations. If anyone has better links for updated info, please post.

I do know that Heather Badger Knight, a former member of this forum, and a hospitalera, is in Paris tonight. We haven't been able to reach her but I'm sure the internet is flooded.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Several people are contacting me to see where I am right now. I haven't seen the news for days, and I understand that there are terrorist attacks occurring. Hoping that all pilgrims out there are safe tonight. And very concerned for everyone in France. If anyone out there is affected, hoping and praying that you are OK.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Everyone, this is terrible news and I know we are all affected emotionally, but I beg you not to colour your posts with opinions. It would be good if the thread stayed open so that we can check on fellow pilgrims who may or may not be travelling through France.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Please do not change your flights there is no need.....

No flights or trains effected and the borders are not completely closed...fact.
The Home Office here in London stated this and so has the French powers to be. Now things are in a bit more perspective its just land borders to prevent those leaving who need to be sought if any are still afoot and seeking to flee .The Border with Germany is not that far away 3 hours normal driving. for example

Anybody flying from America continue to do so...completely safe
Unconfirmed reports state around 100 people have been killed which will effect countless family members.

When hearing of the drone strike today by a joint US/UK forces this action tonight does not surprise me and will not surprise me of it happening again in Europe.

Europe is a safe place for American...and never ever live in fear.....

as MTtoCamino says "We must stay strong in the face of terror."...

If there is a rally soon in Paris to show defiance over these attacks I will be going like I did when people rallied over the attacks in Paris. not that long ago..

edit flee not flea

Last edited:
Thanks @mountaingoat999, for the information on the borders, but please, don't contaminate it with opinion. Otherwise it will get edited.

Just be warned everyone. My finger is firmly on the "delete" button. I know it is an emotional issue but we just have to be adults.

Praying very hard right now, especially innocent people in France whose lives have been overturned...and for all of us.
As well as those in transit, there will be pilgrims tonight in SJPP.
Can anyone offer information to them about how/when/whether they will be able to continue?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Considering that we are 7 hours behind Europe, we are watching various TVchannels, including the French right now. Update is 153 deaths, borders closed and American airlines have cancelled their flights to and from Paris.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
US Citizens in Paris who are safe are being asked to call their families asap as the State Department lines are being flooded.
011-202-501-4444 is the number to call if you are IN Paris and need assistance.

We are being told that the metro remains closed and that borders remain closed. For those concerned about people travelling through Paris, national governments are providing telephone numbers to contact. Some of these are becoming jammed, so please don't call unless you have a specific person about whom you are worried.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Some specific current information, from the Guardian:
"François Hollande said earlier that France would be closing its borders but what does that mean in practice?

Airports remain open and flights have left the capital, but some airlines, including American Airlines, said they would be delaying flights to Paris. Many, including United, Delta, and Air France KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, were operating normally.

The French foreign ministry said airports would remain open with increased security checks.

Train services also continue as normal. Eurostar said its services between the UK and France would run as normal on Saturday, but it would allow passengers who no longer wished to travel to change their tickets
."

Listening to what President Hollande said, it seems the concern is people leaving France, not arriving.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thoughts are with the people of Paris and in fact all France. As a mark of respect the Sydney Opera House will be flood lit in the colours of the "Tricolour" (red, white & blue). A great sight.
Thankfully only one Aussie so far has been reported injured. Buen Camino to the people of Paris:)

Thoughts are with the people of Paris and in fact all France. As a mark of respect the Sydney Opera House will be flood lit in the colours of the "Tricolour" (red, white & blue). A great sight.
Thankfully only one Aussie so far has been reported injured. Buen Camino to the people of Paris:)
The Convention Centre in Dublin did the same last night.
Prayers for all those killed and injured.
Viva le France.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I replaced the link with one I believe to just be reporting breaking news from various stations. If anyone has better links for updated info, please post.

I do know that Heather Badger Knight, a former member of this forum, and a hospitalera, is in Paris tonight. We haven't been able to reach her but I'm sure the internet is flooded.
Heather is safe, she checked in late last night.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
http://www.sudouest.fr/2015/11/14/p...apres-les-attentats-de-paris-2185712-4171.php
Usually people cross the spanish-french border free and without police at sight. This doesn´t mean that there are not police, you don´t see them and they put control points on inner roads in both countries. When there are alerts as terrorism or similar you will see police at the border check point and weaponed soldiers. Be sure that although you dont see police in the way from St Jean to Roncesvalles they will be watching, and spanish Guardia Civil will be doing the same.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The news is ablaze with info on the terrorist attacks on Paris this afternoon.

Do we have any pilgrims flying into Paris today?
The French government has closed the borders coming in and going out.

If you have plans to fly in or out of Paris in the next day or two, you may want consider to reroute via Madrid or another city.

Praying for the people of France. :(

Many news stations are reporting. Here is one:
http://www.breakingnews.com/topic/paris-ile-de-france-fr/

May all people who died in Paris last night Rest In Peace.

My first day on the Camino was September 11, 2001.

The support and solidarity of all the different people was amazing.

I don't know how to stop this insanity, but I will say that the continued strife is a better reason to plan, rather than cancel a pilgrimage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to what President Hollande said, it seems the concern is people leaving France, not arriving.
Eurotunnel trains running normally today so far. Friends of ours were allowed to travel earlier than ticket they had booked. God bless and keep those poor people and their families.

Eurotunnell trains running normally today so far. Friends of ours were allowed to travel earlier than ticket they had booked. God bless and keep those poor people and their families.
Sorry I put that info in wrong place. Eurotunnel running as normal. Our friends left early this morning .a lot of seats were empty so they were allowed on. God bless and keep all those affected people and their families.

Everyone, this is terrible news and I know we are all affected emotionally, but I beg you not to colour your posts with opinions. It would be good if the thread stayed open so that we can check on fellow pilgrims who may or may not be travelling through France.
Please note @Kanga's post above. Some posts have been edited, please stick to facts and information.

€149,-
Quite often there is a police stop on the paved road from SJPdP to Roncesvalles to randomly check vehicles, I suspect they are stopping everyone now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Tears of appreciation for all of this goodwill. I'm sitting in New York, after about 12 stressful hours of travel. I have a five hour layover here before my six hour flight to the West Coast.

Airport security in Spain was definitely beefed up. Also pretty tight entering the US, but what else is new. Anyway, best wishes to all.

Deb

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
NYT montage of some of the many places expressing their solidarity with the people of France:
Thanks for the links - truly fantastic. As a follow-up the French Flag will fly over the Sydney Harbour Bridge today and tomorrow (Govt says a special flag will be made if we do not have one large enough).:cool:;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You took the words from me Viranani. It does help, Kanga even though none of us can actually give practical help...
It is nice, when people are in pain...
Thank you.

I just returned from a concert at which Isabel Leonard sang and Sharon Isbin was on guitar, and the program was almost all beautiful Spanish music and songs. Ms. Leonard started the concert by saying that this afternoon as she was getting her hair done and then putting on a fancy red dress and high heels, she wondered what right she had to be doing something so frivolous today. But she decided that bringing beautiful music to a packed concert hall was on balance a good thing, for the world is so desperately in need of as much beauty as it can get.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Vive la France!!!!!
As I stated on Franco American day June 24, France is America's first and oldest friend. All day and night long, France's name has been on our lips. Not anything useful to report in this post. Just to let Parisians know, we love you and wish you strength and peace.

French flag flies at half mast opposite the Fortescue River Roadhouse in the Pilbara, north west Western Australia credit: Lucie Bell @lucieboots ABC Rural reporter

flag_pilbara.jpg

Possibly a timely reminder to register with your government before going overseas. Here in Australia it's via the Smartraveller website. It makes contacting you or your family easier should this prove necessary. I have experienced it and the system works well.

As I stated on Franco American day June 24, France is America's first and oldest friend. All day and night long, France's name has been on our lips. Not anything useful to report in this post. Just to let Parisians know, we love you and wish you strength and peace.
Am sure so many still in shock. I have just painted 3 of my flower pots red,white and blue. Am covered in paint but no clue how to put them on forum. Just getting upset for those poor people when I look at them,but they will always remain red,white and blue.

Am sure so many still in shock. I have just painted 3 of my flower pots red,white and blue. Am covered in paint but no clue how to put them on forum. Just getting upset for those poor people when I look at them,but they will always remain red,white and blue.

So many are grief stricken and words fail us all at such times but small heartfelt gestures such as yours help both ourselves and others.

There was a beautiful piece in the Sydney Morning Herald that points to a gentle response to this tragedy:
We need to be kind.
And kindness in the face of these sorts of atrocities is hard. Fortunately, it's also incredibly powerful.

if your feeling at a loss right now and maybe alone ...wandering around your capital city tonight or right now might comfort......In London there are several gatherings with people lighting tea lights and candles and just being quiet or mingling among like minded people.......later tonight I will walk around Piccadilly circus and sit a while with the other people..

Thank you! My father was an old cantankerous and objectionable Frenchman (lol) but he always told me that if he had to take any other nationality, it would be the US of A. He meant it. He loved you unconditionnally. My mother was the same...
Go figure... (quick exit lol)

Last edited:
I'm with you all. My response to the ugliness of what has happened is to try, in my limited capacity, to make the world beautiful again. In relationships, in art, in music, in sport, in every way I can, to be kinder and to be inclusive. A sense of humour to lighten our loads and bit of reason does not go astray either (while admitting mine is no beacon of hope).

I embrace all those of you who walk this Camino with me.

This weekend, the Arctic Cathedral in Tromsøe (my place of living) was originally lit up in blue to mark the international diabetes day, but Saturday morning it looked like this, and it still does:

View attachment 22440
Hi Alexwalker, I was in Tromso a couple of years ago. Lovely place and amazing Cathedral. Buen Camino.

I am so sorry to hear this happened it is where my great grand father came from and has been on my mind a lot the past few days, I have never been there and thought if I do , do the Camino again in 2017 I would like to go there on the way and see a little of Paris, I did met some very nice French people on the Camino this summer and I do hope and pray that they are all okay I found it hard not to tear up when thinking of this terrible thing and find it so hard to accept anyone in their right mind could do such a terrible thing to other people

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
if your feeling at a loss right now and maybe alone ...wandering around your capital city tonight or right now might comfort......In London there are several gatherings with people lighting tea lights and candles and just being quiet or mingling among like minded people.......later tonight I will walk around Piccadilly circus and sit a while with the other people..

Lest we forget!
image.jpeg

CTwrWOiUAAA6hV5.jpg

Pray for Paris.

If any Forum members/pilgrims in Paris need assistance send a PM/Conversation and I will try to help you. I live near-by and speak English and French.

MM
that is such a kind and practical offer..i am sure lots of people will be terrified and confused,may god and people like you help them.

I am so sorry to hear this happened it is where my great grand father came from and has been on my mind a lot the past few days, I have never been there and thought if I do , do the Camino again in 2017 I would like to go there on the way and see a little of Paris, I did met some very nice French people on the Camino this summer and I do hope and pray that they are all okay I found it hard not to tear up when thinking of this terrible thing and find it so hard to accept anyone in their right mind could do such a terrible thing to other people

What a lovely post Georgina, I hope you get to come and see Paris, it is a beautiful city., especially in the Spring...

Don't know what the DL said right now but infer it was inconsistent with the quote. If so, just goes to show that the best of us are still susceptible to strong emotion overruling reason. I've been really impressed by how much there's been in the media on restraining the revenge reflex.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am aware of the forum rules (no religion, no politics, nothing that could stir up discussion). But this is not what the Dalai Lama said right now as anyone who follows the news will know.
No comment!

I am aware of the forum rules (no religion, no politics, nothing that could stir up discussion). But this is not what the Dalai Lama said right now as anyone who follows the news will know.
Boeddhisme, this is a way of life, not a religion.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please let's not go there, Arminius and Kathar1na. Another time perhaps it would be a good conversation to have.
But not here, not now.
It's not the point of this thread.
I want to make it clear that it was not my intention to raise the point. For me; this discussion is closed!

Terrorist Attacks in Paris -are all our pilgrims safe?

Yes yes yes.now and the months to follow.it was safe for pilgrims before and is more so now..many non members look on the forum to check this thread (I assume).many do not use forums.
the current effect on anybody travelling right now today and over the next few months will be delays at passport control in the places like Biarritz/Lourdes airport where before they just did a very quick look....you fly into Santiago and at the passport booth it was a very relaxed affair....more time needed I would imagine now.

there are many pilgrims not on forums who travel everyday more or less...Paris..Madrid.
everyone is safe......

I'm a bit rattled but in a different way than in January and I see this in people around me, too. Nobody I know talks about revenge. That is not on people's minds around here (and nothing to fear but fear isn't either). And we live closer to the places that are currently in the headlines than many. Reading this thread while commuting to work is like living in two worlds at the same time - a surreal feeling. I guess I should give up one of the two ...
katherina I hope you are not feeling too bad now as you were this morning. Don't know where you live but as you say, you are not far from where these awful things happened so it's natural to feel rattled. So many people are feeling like this right now especially when travelling on public transport so "keep your chin up" so to speak. Yes it must be a surreal feeling too for so many-- I would say it's akin to shock or post traumatic shock right now.keep going to work and keep reading the forum-- don't give either of them up as you wanted to this morning. May whoever is up there bless you and keep you. Annette

What a lovely post Georgina, I hope you get to come and see Paris, it is a beautiful city., especially in the Spring...
Thank you domigee, I do too, it certainly looks beautiful in all the pictures I have seen and thanks for the tip on the time of year to come it gives me a goal point

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
Hello all. Here to give a brief account of my (and many others) first day on the Camino on May 1. The trip to Roncesvalles was tough. I went Valcarlos route because napoleon was very ill advised...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
I am wondering how you disconnect, in part, from the world. I have a couple of reasons that I need to be accessible but, I don't want to be constantly connected on this journey. Ideas?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.