• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The 3 most 'memorable' Albergues you stayed in - and Why

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Now that I have finally 'taken the plunge' and stayed in a few Albergues, I was surprised at how good the experience can be. And varied! Thank you for pushing me gently in that direction.....

How about sharing your most 'memorable' three?

I'll kick off, in no particular order.

Albergue Parroquial Santa María - Fuenterroble de Salvatierra - Via de la Plata. (Donativo)
This was a 'must try' for me having heard so much about it and Father Don Blas who runs it.

Very quirky decor and accommodation, like the hobbit house out the back!
Great Hospitelero, welcoming, jovial, helpful.
Wonderful communal meal. A great lesson in how to create delicious food, from not much!
And an interesting 'mix' of Pilgrims and short term 'residents'.....

Refugio Gaucelmo - Rabanal del Camino - Camino Frances (Donativo)
Again a must try for me having heard so much about it.

Great Hospiteleros, kind, supportive, helpful.
Lovely building and facilities.
No communal meal but afternoon tea in the garden, as a meet and greet for everyone.
Communal breakfast available though.
And right opposite the Church to attend vespers.

Albergue Municipal de Villavieja "Manuel Fuentes" - Villavieja - Camino Invierno (10 Euros)
What an adventure! On booking, I was told to bring food as nothing is available locally!
Only 11 people live in the village and I saw none of them.
You literally walk up a mountain to get there!
They give you a code for the door, and there is an honesty box for your 10 euros.

A converted school house, lovingly restored, perched on the side of a mountain with million dollar views!
Everything a Pilgrim needs (except food).
Fully equipped laundry (washer dryer), kitchen, nice beds and bathrooms, sitting room / dining room.
Blankets, Sheets! Towels!

And I had it all to myself! Not a soul there.

Gee, it was hard to narrow it down to just three!!
Hence keeping it to most 'memorable' rather than best or anything else.

CAVEAT!! Given the recent discussions on providing recommendations.
Your mileage may WILL vary ;)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ditto on Refugio Gaucelmo. That is a magical place.

We also really enjoyed the Albergue peregrinos Ribadiso. Rustic for sure but the people were great. being able to sit with my feet in the river while drinking wine and chatting with fellow pilgrims.

Parroquial at Viana, Grañón 's San Juan de Bautista, and Santa Maria at Carrion de los Condes. Facilities at all very simple with shared communuty meals. Spiritual aspect to all three that was offered, but not forced on me.

These three helped me make the decision to get the training to become a hospitalera. After service now as a hospitalera at 5 donativo albergues, I still hold myself to the standards set by those hospitaleros at the 3 albergues mentioned.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hospital San Juan Bautista in Granon. (CF) Great communal meal, a sense of camaraderie and that this is how pilgrimage should be.

Municipal albergue in Tabara. (Sanabres) an ordinary building with extraordinary hospitaleros, a great communal meal and again that sense of this is how a pilgrimage should be.

Albergue Torre de Sabre in Cubo de Terra del Vino. ( VDLP) I don't know how much criticism is permitted on the forum, so I will say that this place was the total opposite of the two above. After the closure of the municipal albergue this private place is the only option in a town with a long distance to the next accommodation. The owner ( I will not call him a hospitalero) knows he is the only game in town and prices and attitude reflect this.

Hospital San Juan Bautista in Granon. (CF) Great communal meal, a sense of camaraderie and that this is how pilgrimage should be.

Municipal albergue in Tabara. (Sanabres) an ordinary building with extraordinary hospitaleros, a great communal meal and again that sense of this is how a pilgrimage should be.

Albergue Torre de Sabre in Cubo de Terra del Vino. ( VDLP) I don't know how much criticism is permitted on the forum, so I will say that this place was the total opposite of the two above. After the closure of the municipal albergue this private place is the only option in a town with a long distance to the next accommodation. The owner ( I will not call him a hospitalero) knows he is the only game in town and prices and attitude reflect this.

I stayed there in a private room.
We ate in town ;)

1. Casa Peregrino Emaús - Burgos
great hospitality (international volunteers), communal prayer and dinner, very good beds and lavatory

2. Parroquial de Grañon, San Juan de Bautista - Grañon
best experience, very unique, donativo, communal dinner and church visit

3. Albergue San Miguel - Hospital del Orbigo
very artsy, polite and humble hospitalero, very nice breakfast, nice Patio

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Three albergues come to my mind (At another moment some others could appear)
El Reposo de Andayon in Cuerres ( the Norte)
O Xistral after Abadin also on the Norte
Albergue in Benduenos (the Salvador)

And of cause the Casa de Fernanda on the Portugues

I will go with once again
Refugio Gaucelmo - Rabanal del Camino - Camino Frances (Donativo). It was lovely sitting in the garden but at 3.30 the weather changed and inside was afternoon tea by the fire. I remember the hospitaleras coming around to offer blankets that night as it was cold.

Le Rozel Gite - this was on the Chemin de mont St Michel just after Cherbourg. The guy lives next door and has converted the adjoining building into a pilgrim gite (also open to hikers on the GR). It was a perfect first night in France heading on my camino route as it was filled with pictures of the camino and Santiago- not what I expected at the northern end if Contenin Penisula in Normandy. Probably does not see too many heading to St Jacques de Compostelle but lovely!

3- Albergaria Pinheiro's in Alvaiazere on the Camino Portuguese
After a fall I spent an extra day here. Very special wax sello, and I got a second metallic one as I spent a second night. Small rooms - the second night I was in the single room no 1 called 'John Brierley'. The owner, as it was Sunday took the opportunity and left me in charge for a few hours with the keys and it was fun to welcome fellow pilgrims.

Last edited:
During 10 years of walking the Camino Frances in autumn/winter at age 65 to 76 I spent roughly 450 nights usually stopping in municipal albergues. Only the final days in Santiago were ever booked in latter years.

When weary after walking wearing a full pack all that was needed was a simple shelter with preferably a lower bunk and a working toilet/shower. Nothing else was really necessary; luxury was heat in winter as well is an electric socket to charge a phone and when possible pleasant companions and something to eat.

My forum posts and/or blog entries often cite favorite places to stay. The municipal albergue in Villafranca Montes de Oca was always a favorite and this earlier post lists the reasons why.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Like others, Parroquial de Grañon, San Juan de Bautista (Frances). Memorable for the warm and welcoming hospitaleros, the sense of community (especially around supper), the after supper service/ceremony/what have you in the upper part of the church. Also memorable for the mats on the floor, no pillows, and the worst sleep of that Camino.

Casa da Fernanda (Portugues). Memorable for the warm hospitality, the sense of community, and the sense you are being welcomed into someone's home and celebrated. It also happened to be my 55th birthday when I stayed there, although I think the sense if being celebrated was extended to all pilgrims with the after dinner celebration.

Santa Maria at Carrion de los Condes (Frances). Who could forget the singalong with the nuns? Another communal meal (a common theme among memorable albergues) and a great celebration of St. James Day.

I could easily list 5 or 6 more that vie for the top three but instead I will give honourable mention to one that probably doesn’t: Santervás (Madrid). Like in Villavieja, there is no food available locally. So my fellow pilgrim and I loaded ourselves up with food to be prepared. But the volunteer hospitaleros (a couple) invited us to share their comida and cena at this donativo (as well as setting out a desayuno for us). Not so much a communal meal as a shared meal with our Spanish hosts, eating what they had been planning to eat. It's not the albergue that was memorable in this experience, so it can only make honourable mention.

Impossible to pick only three.

Most were memorable in one way or another. It is funny how well I remember most of my nights on the Caminos, even if some of them are many years ago now. And most memories are good ones.

The parroquials with communal dinner are always a good choice, in my opinion. The hospitality is what makes them special. They make you feel like a guest, not a customer.

I guess if I have to pick one night, it would be the refuge de la béate on the way from Le Puy last year. A simple shelter without electricity, no hospitalero, no beds, no mattress, no showers. A compost toilet and a fountain on the other side of the road, no shop or café in town. A wood stove if you wanted to heat or cook.

It just felt magical that day. I stopped very early, and throughout the day more and more pilgrims stopped "just for a moment to rest", and then stayed. In the end we were a nice group staying there, sharing what we still had in our backpacks for a simple dinner. Chickens, dogs, cats, sheep, goats, cows, butterflies and human locals also came by to say hello, and every single one of them was friendly to us and with each other.

One local man came with instruments, and played and told stories until we had fallen asleep on the floor, candles the only light.

For most people walking by it is probably only a primitive hut, maybe a place to shelter from the rain for a few minutes, nothing special. For me it felt like paradise for that one special night.

For me, good company and good atmosphere makes a good albergue. It may be luxurious or only a simple shelter. In the end it is not the power sockets next to my pod bed or the good WiFi connection that are really memorable, but the atmosphere, the people, their stories and the conversations.

I wish I could add the beautiful soothing music that was played that night, but at least two photos:

IMG20220621211400.jpgIMG20220621135449.jpg

Last edited:
My most memorable albergues (it is more than 3, but I could not decide which ones were my top 3)

* Borda - simply lovely, with a top host, delicious food and so very comfortable, with 4 women in single beds and with our own bathroom. It was a perfect end to the 1st day and got us off to a good start on day 2. (I stayed in Orisson in 2018 and Borda is 100 times nicer)

* Estella - Hosteria de Curtidoras - wonderful, single beds with a private bath for 4 women, a fantastic host, gorgeous setting with the sound of the water fall all night long, and a great breakfast buffet. The building is so unique and they have preserved it beautifully.

* Espinosa - Casa las Almas - only 5 pilgrims per night, but the best dinner and breakfast on the Camino Frances. The 2 hosts are German and seem to have thought of everything to make your stay memorable and nice, from single beds, to the linens and hand towels for each person.

* Castrojeriz - Rosalia - great single beds and a wonderful communal dinner and fantastic breakfast. Super friendly hosts.

* Hospital de Orbiga - Casa de Los Hidalgos - Wonderful pod beds with curtains, great garden and creative common room, super friendly host and a top breakfast buffet.

* Astorga - Albergue So Por Hoja - Lovely lady from Brazil that wants her home to be your home for the night. Single beds with snuggly linens. Fabulous Brazilian dinner and great breakfast

There are others that I liked that were not specifically albergues or that just had 1 or 2 things about them that were wonderful and worth mentioning perhaps, but I won't on this thread.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Manjarin - Donativo. No electricity or running water. No hot water. STARS. PEACE. Friendly. Funny. Interesting ritual by Tomas. A lovely family style dinner. Good conversation and understanding between pilgrims. I learned a lot there about not making flash-judgments about people or lodgings.

Parochial at Viana - Donativo. Family style dinner with the BEST garlic soup and fresh bread. Wonderful priest who did a pilgrim mass for us and took us on a tour of the sacristry to see church treasures. Good conversation and comaraderie amongst pilgrims.

San Anton - Donativo. Spectacular ruins. At the time we stayed there were only 3 walls on the room where we slept. No electricity. No hot water. PEACE. Wonderful hospitalera, Marina, who had taken over after the regular hospitalero had been killed in a train accident. We had wine under the kabillion STARS in candlelight. Family style dinner.

There are so many more - Arres, Guacelmo, the parochial at Azofra, San Bol, and others, but these 3 are at the top of my list. (I keep thinking of more and more!)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My most memorable albergues (it is more than 3, but I could not decide which ones were my top 3)

* Borda - simply lovely, with a top host, delicious food and so very comfortable, with 4 women in single beds and with our own bathroom. It was a perfect end to the 1st day and got us off to a good start on day 2. (I stayed in Orisson in 2018 and Borda is 100 times nicer)

* Estella - Hosteria de Curtidoras - wonderful, single beds with a private bath for 4 women, a fantastic host, gorgeous setting with the sound of the water fall all night long, and a great breakfast buffet. The building is so unique and they have preserved it beautifully.

* Espinosa - Casa las Almas - only 5 pilgrims per night, but the best dinner and breakfast on the Camino Frances. The 2 hosts are German and seem to have thought of everything to make your stay memorable and nice, from single beds, to the linens and hand towels for each person.

* Castrojeriz - Rosalia - great single beds and a wonderful communal dinner and fantastic breakfast. Super friendly hosts.

* Hospital de Orbiga - Casa de Los Hidalgos - Wonderful pod beds with curtains, great garden and creative common room, super friendly host and a top breakfast buffet.

* Astorga - Albergue So Por Hoja - Lovely lady from Brazil that wants her home to be your home for the night. Single beds with snuggly linens. Fabulous Brazilian dinner and great breakfast

There are others that I liked that were not specifically albergues or that just had 1 or 2 things about them that were wonderful and worth mentioning perhaps, but I won't on this thread.
Indeed Albergue So Por Hoja in Astorga is very good. That Brazilian woman owns it and she immigrated along with her daughter. She is the cousin (I believe this is the relationship) of Jose who owns the Hostal Casa San Nicolas in Molinaseca. Jose and his wife owns this place and it is very nice as well. Jose's wife makes a traditional Brazilian dinner each evening. Really good place to stay.

Now that I have finally 'taken the plunge' and stayed in a few Albergues, I was surprised at how good the experience can be. And varied! Thank you for pushing me gently in that direction.....

Albergue Parroquial Santa María - Fuenterroble de Salvatierra - Via de la Plata. (Donativo)
This was a 'must try' for me having heard so much about it and Father Don Blas who runs it.

Wonderful communal meal. A great lesson in how to create delicious food, from not much!

No communal meal but afternoon tea in the garden, as a meet and greet for everyone.

Albergue Municipal de Villavieja "Manuel Fuentes" - Villavieja - Camino Invierno (10 Euros)
What an adventure! On booking, I was told to bring food as nothing is available locally!
They give you a code for the door, and there is an honesty box for your 10 euros.

A converted school house, lovingly restored, perched on the side of a mountain with million dollar views!
Fully equipped laundry (washer dryer), kitchen, nice beds and bathrooms, sitting room / dining room.

Nice one! Got me thinking from an air-con albergue at Almatoz on the Ruta de la Lana:

1. Guemez - a real community spirit. I was given a ‘goblin’ chalet!

2. Grañon - the most spiritual place. Packed but happy to sleep on the chapel floor! The communal meal with the priest was memorable…

3. Here now for the shelter I have been so generously afforded in 36 degree heat. Albergue de Almatoz. Juan, the hosptaleiro just called to meet up for a caña. So kind and caring.

0F8F0DBD-7725-4AEE-9AE8-03918AFB3497.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Albergue Bodenayo, albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbega, roots and Boots ( no longer in operation)

Three albergues come to my mind (At another moment some others could appear)
El Reposo de Andayon in Cuerres ( the Norte)
O Xistral after Abadin also on the Norte
Albergue in Benduenos (the Salvador)

And of cause the Casa de Fernanda on the Portugues
I Xistral is wonderful!!

I've written about this before on other threads, so I will be brief this time without describing the full experience, which was unparalleled at any other albergue. The star of stars is the albergue in Benduenos, on the Salvador. We had heard repeatedly about it and made sure we hiked the steep incline from the camino to the teeny community where the albergue is. It's donativo...and that's for lodging food and even drinks (beer and their special cider). The small community embraced us from serving us lunch to sitting on the veranda with sweeping views of the valley below and mountains in the distance while teaching us how to pour cider the proper way, a wonderful communal dinner and shared stories after dinner upstairs. While we have enjoyed many albergues and remember them vividly, Benduenos will be very hard to top.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The monastery in Urdax(ES) along the Baztan: a courtyard full of modern sculpture, empty but for me, and a town full of moneyed tourists uncertain what to make of someone traveling afoot through the town.
Bodenaya along the Primitivo.
And, for oddness, the the "riverfront" Albergue in Potes(Lebaniego/ Vadinense juncture). Like a scenic jailhouse.

Nice question! Brings back some sweet Camino memories! ❤️

I would say the following 3:

Hospital de San Nicolas in Puente Fitero (Camino Frances). A small albergue, or hospital, which is run by the Italian Brotherhood of the Friends of Saint James. It's situated in small church where pilgrims could get shelter and help in the middle ages. It's one of those places where the true spirit of the Camino is still alive.

La cabana del abuelo Peuto in Guemes (Camino del Norte). This is another place where the true spirit of the Camino remains intact. Padre Ernesto has created a beautiful place for pilgrims: lots of beds, shared dinner and the moment where he shares his story with us. I remember arriving at 3PM on warm July afternoon and the first thing I was asked was: “are you hungry? Would you like some pasta and wine?” And so they served me an amazing lunch and only after that we did the checkin and the stamp.

Albergue Ave Fenix in Villafranca del Bierzo. I visited both this albergue and the hospital San Nicolas ten years ago and I went back this year. The Ave Fenix is not the same anymore. Jato is very old and the competition from other albergues means fewer and fewer pilgrims. Despite all of this, the Ave Fenix is still in my heart and it will always be. Ten years ago I’ve had an amazing paella, this year a simpler dinner with only another pilgrim, Jato and his daughter. It was equally beautiful and intimate. My wish is that the Ave Fenix will be reborn, one more time, like its name says! And will give hospitality to plenty more pilgrims.

Nice question! Brings back some sweet Camino memories! ❤️

I would say the following 3:

Hospital de San Nicolas in Puente Fitero (Camino Frances). A small albergue, or hospital, which is run by the Italian Brotherhood of the Friends of Saint James. It's situated in small church where pilgrims could get shelter and help in the middle ages. It's one of those places where the true spirit of the Camino is still alive.
Yes, another of my favorites!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've written about this before on other threads, so I will be brief this time without describing the full experience, which was unparalleled at any other albergue. The star of stars is the albergue in Benduenos, on the Salvador. We had heard repeatedly about it and made sure we hiked the steep incline from the camino to the teeny community where the albergue is. It's donativo...and that's for lodging food and even drinks (beer and their special cider). The small community embraced us from serving us lunch to sitting on the veranda with sweeping views of the valley below and mountains in the distance while teaching us how to pour cider the proper way, a wonderful communal dinner and shared stories after dinner upstairs. While we have enjoyed many albergues and remember them vividly, Benduenos will be very hard to top.
Just checking and confirming that I had planned a stop there on my Salvador Camino starting the day after tomorrow. 😀

Last edited:
I've written about this before on other threads, so I will be brief this time without describing the full experience, which was unparalleled at any other albergue. The star of stars is the albergue in Benduenos, on the Salvador.
This is also my No. 1, followed by Bodenaya on the Primitivo.

My favorites have already been mentioned: Grañon, San Anton, Gualcelmo.
So I'll take the liberty to add:
San Nicolas (before Itero de la Vega)
Donativo in what was once a chapel, with amazing Italian hospitality. So much caritas, and a very quiet atmosphere.
La Faba (by the church as you come into the pueblo)
We had a wonderful stay here, and again a quiet welcoming atmosphere.
El Beso (after Triacastella)
A bit rustic, but charming. A family project in a tiny hamlet, with wonderful veg food, and hammocks in the garden under the enormous chestnut trees. Also far from the crowds.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wanted to add San Nicolas to my list too, but because I broke my wrist there in 2018, it is a bit traumatic as well as being a wonderful place to stay. The Italian men running it were so very kind as well as being great cooks.
Tried to visit here last year, but they were closed. Happily, they were open this year and as I walked in the door, burst into tears. When I saw how high that step was that I fell off of, I was shocked. It is almost knee high. No wonder I broke my wrist so badly. It never healed correctly so, it reminds me 24/7 of my Camino.

Anyway, it is a unique place to stay and I highly recommend it. Falling asleep to candle light is special.

I had wonderful stays in nice albergues which were elevated to outstanding because of the circumstances. So i will not list them cause the circumstances will be different for the next guy.
These three however, from my last camino, were quite outstanding on their own:

Casa Paderborn - Pamplona
San Francisco de Asis - Tosantos
Arroyo de San Bol - San Bol

there would be more, but the limit is three.

Ditto to Grañón 's San Juan de Bautista, Santa Maria at Carrion de los Condes and Casa Peregrino Emaús in Burgos

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just checking and confirming that I had planned a stop there on my Salvador Camino starting the day after tomorrow. 😀
I suggest you call ahead. It's a steep climb up to the albergue. I doubt many will be there, and the hosts are so generous than when a poor soul knocked on the door at 11pm soaked to the skin from heavy rain and starving, they let him, warmed him up and set out a mattress for him even though the room was full. We all woke up, but were deeply touched by this kindness.

Casa Susi would be my favourite in Trabadelo ... super people

but Robo, most of my memorable stays have been because of the fellow perregrinos ( the good , the bad and the ugly ) so some of my favourite albergues wouldn't be the same without them. Azofra muni for instance has rooms with 2 beds.. and an Italian gent upon meeting me handed me a pair of ear plugs ( no explanation needed )

Hospitaleros too ... sometimes out performing their humble suroundings.. (Donnativo in El Burgo Ranero)

I could make a big list but am sure you get my drift.

Our favourite was "Albergue Oasis Trails" in Villamajor de Monjardin. The rooms were small, but clean. We had an excellent communal supper there. We especially enjoyed the meditation room after dinner; a time to be silent, listening to worship music. They also offered a bag lunch, for a small fee, for the next day--super generous snacks.
If you still have some gas in your tank when you get there, you can take a 30 minute or so hike up to the Monjardin, the peak the overlooks the town , and remnants of Castillo de San Esteban

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our favourite was "Albergue Oasis Trails" in Villamajor de Monjardin. The rooms were small, but clean. We had an excellent communal supper there. We especially enjoyed the meditation room after dinner; a time to be silent, listening to worship music. They also offered a bag lunch, for a small fee, for the next day--super generous snacks.
If you still have some gas in your tank when you get there, you can take a 30 minute or so hike up to the Monjardin, the peak the overlooks the town , and remnants of Castillo de San Esteban

A good example how things and circumstances can change with the hospitaleros in charge.
The welcome there in 2011 was the coldest I encountered on all my Caminos. And no, I am not a spoilt brat who believes she needs " service ".
Good you had a warm welcome!

A good example how things and circumstances can change with the hospitaleros in charge.
The welcome there in 2011 was the coldest I encountered on all my Caminos. And no, I am not a spoilt brat who believes she needs " service ".
Good you had a warm welcome!
The people running the albergue were exceptionally kind and warm. I'm sorry for your experience

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suggest you call ahead. It's a steep climb up to the albergue. I doubt many will be there, and the hosts are so generous than when a poor soul knocked on the door at 11pm soaked to the skin from heavy rain and starving, they let him, warmed him up and set out a mattress for him even though the room was full. We all woke up, but were deeply touched by this kindness.
It is always my intention to call ahead on his Camino when I can, just as I tried to on the Madrid. On the Madrid, it sometimes didn't work, with the calls going to the Ayunamiento and either not being answered or not making it to the hospitalero.

El Beso (after Triacastella)
A bit rustic, but charming. A family project in a tiny hamlet, with wonderful veg food, and hammocks in the garden under the enormous chestnut trees. Also far from the crowds.
This was my favourite on the CF, and probably No.3 overall for me behind Bendueños and Bodenaya. Must be something about Bs!

I had wonderful stays in nice albergues which were elevated to outstanding because of the circumstances. So i will not list them cause the circumstances will be different for the next guy.

Yes, Paderborn! Another favorite.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've appreciated every albergue I stayed in, though none of them stand out past the others in terms of greatness. The "most memorable" for me wasn't memorable for being fantastic, but for the fact that I had to track down the key and stay alone in a huge dark room with two dozen hospital beds. (La Bañeza)

The people running the albergue were exceptionally kind and warm. I'm sorry for your experience
(Oasis Trails)
I was volunteer hospitalero there several times 2015-2019. There was a change in management in one of those years. The current management is more flexible and relaxed, I think. Although the others, who had been there for many years, I think did a good job. But they did tend to "play by the book" a bit more. Also, I was only the fourth non-Dutch volunteer in their first 21 years. In the past three, there have been volunteer staff from Italy, USA, Switzerland, Taiwan, Germany, Sweden, and several more.

Great thread!

Loved Granon and Gaulcelmo.

Last Camino Frances had a great time and was so well looked after by a great German hospitalero in the parroquial in Bercianos. Communal meal and a really lovely ceremony

Albergue de peregrinos on Forrester in Porto on the Portuguese, 2 miles or so up from the cathedral. Was there on a Christmas eve it was so fantastic. Also they helped me way bicycle box on my return. V g.has a cat and orange trees

Parroquial annunziata ceparana, high up in the hills on the via francigena in Italy. I had cycled a different route and that was my first night meeting that was and it was a gorgeous communal meal and fun

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Loved Albergue So Por Hoja... it means"just for today" and that became my mantra for the rest of my Camino... and still is

I haven't walked as far as most on here, so my top three will probably change. But for me, right now.

Bandeira (VdlP) - Municipal albergue with vivid colours and almost portacabin style. i liked the colour and the lady working the desk was friendly. I was the only person staying there, that night. Clean, almost militaristic in the way it came across. Absolutely perfect for me. Everything you needed was there and nothing you didn't.

Ourense Municipal, specifically the one from 2017 in the museum at the top of the hill. Was based out of a museum. One of the coolest, most interesting places I stayed at in Spain. I sat outside talking to a German cyclist who was drinking a bottle of some random sweet wine, who was heading to Oseira monastery the next day, but told me it had to be booked. Whomever decided to move it down the hill into a non-descript residential building was an idiot. It was better on top of the hill with the good views.

Gonzar municipal - up the hill from Portomarin - The interesting roof joists made from tree trunks and the rustic feel. I enjoyed staying there. Was a real mix of people, from the interesting doctor lady who was tending to her feet with what seemed like a full medical kit (vials of lidocaine, bandages, suture kit, etc), to the guy who left home somewhere south of Villada (south of Sahagun) with 100 euros and was heading to Santiago after being encouraged by an NGO person to walk a Camino. No one spoke any English as far as I knew, until i met a girl i'd said hi to while there, as I approached Monte de Gozo two days later and she asked me in pretty good English if I wanted to party that night. ;) Alas, partying was out as I was heading back to the Picos the next day.

I'm sure after this year i will have new favourites. I think Benduenos may get added, if the views are as good as the video that someone linked on the Salvador forum (by Nadine i think).

Oh yes… Paderborn! The welcome there..I was made to sit DOWN and given juice and biscuits BEFORE I had to hand over my Credencial and some dinero!

Plus the first clothes spin-dryer encountered on any Camino. So ‘nett und typisch Deutsch’!

1. 2001: Roncesvalles’s cavernous dorm room on my first camino. My mom came with me. We were first ones in and were subsequently shocked to find guys and gals shared dormitory.

2. 2002: Grañon. I really, really loved the communal dinner and I was asked to say the Our Father during the prayers in the choir stalls.

3. 2002: Negreira municipal. I was there early November and it was chilly to cold outside. Within albergue the floors were heated and shower water hot. There were single twin beds as opposed to bunks. The picture window in the dorm overlooked green, green grass. We pilgrims cooked up a meal for ourselves; ever so nice. My first night hospitalero didn’t show up so a group of us stayed another night. Second night hospie popped up and told repeat customers to move on in the morning.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Just a personal viewpoint (aren't they all?)...one's experience of an albergue can be influenced by a multitude of factors. A couple of (anonymised) examples:

1. Walking on my first Camino Frances, after about a week I stayed at an albergue that was amongst my worst experiences - it was full (overfull in fact, with late comers being 'accommodated' by placing mattresses between the bunk beds); very hot; sleep was problematic with several extremely loud snorers; and getting up in the morning meant climbing over those sleeping on the floor to queue for access to the 2 toilets. A year later I was walking with my 14 year old son and we ended up in the same town and I decided to give the place a second chance. This time we had a room virtually to ourselves and they cooked a meal expecially for my son (he's inherited his Dad's 'picky' eater gene). So what was probably my worst night on my first camino was amongst the best on my second.

2. One auberge that has been cited by several earlier posters - and I recognise all the favourable comments made and wouldn't disagree with anything that has been said about the place or the staff. But the night I stayed there it was full and there was 1 bathroom for the 2 dozen or so inhabitants of the room. Nothing too shocking about that except I had arrived from a quieter Camino where I'd gotten used to sharing rooms with at most 3 or 4 others. So my experience was coloured negatively by unfair comparisons with albergues on a far quieter route.

Anyway I'm off to the Portugues Coastal route next week so will hopefully find some new favourite albergues - will report back.

But the night I stayed there it was full and there was 1 bathroom for the 2 dozen or so inhabitants of the room.

Gonzar municipal has that problem. There are more toilets downstairs in the shower area (as I remember), but I never really had any issue with it.

Gonzar municipal has that problem. There are more toilets downstairs in the shower area (as I remember), but I never really had any issue with it.
As I say - it was more the comparison with the places I stayed leading up to that particular albergue. Everyone rates it and that was partly why I stayed there. Great place, but not so great for me on that particular night. It wasn't Gonzar btw.

€149,-
Casa Tiago in Luquin. A quirky comfortable old house with an owner worth his weight in gold.
I don't know whether you stayed there before or after, but a friend of mine told me about a year ago that the owner wanted to sell it and a friend of theirs was considering buying it. Haven't heard whether that happened.

I stayed in Casa Tiago in April. We had a room with 2 double beds that had mattresses that had to be 20-30 years old? Slept sort of like a taco, but it was fun and we laughed a lot. The town of Luquin is charming. I liked staying here a lot better than staying at Oasis Trails, which I have done twice. The hosts are charming and the house is beautiful.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back