• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Elvis Bar in Reliegos

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
One pleasant surprise for me along the CF this spring was the Elvis Bar in Reliegos. I've since discovered that this is a fairly well-known bar, and I think it's even included in the film The Way. But I didn't know any of that when I stopped for the night in Reliegos. I just saw there was a bar called the Elvis Bar which sounded interesting and different, and when I went by there it was all covered in graffiti. Looked like my kinda bar, but it was closed at the time (afternoon). I went back that evening and it was open, and what a great place. A somewhat eccentric owner who is a joy to watch as he serves his customers. I was the only pilgrim in there that night for some reason. I highly recommend stopping there for a beer when your in Reliegos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Agreed. Great place. Maybe not for everyone and not exactly reliable as to when it's open. I guess he just opens when he wants to. But incredible guy.
Yeah I can certainly see how it wouldn't be for everyone, which is why I wasn't overly surprised there were no other pilgrims there. The place is quite smokey (no pesky no smoking rules in that bar!), and has a certain dive-bar quality to it.

I was also surprised how cheap it was. Only bottled beer, but from what I recall it was either 1.80 or 2.30 for a beer or glass of wine. And the owner handed out free plates of olives. No idea how he manages to make any money. But what's so great about the place is how he doesn't seem to have a care in the world. I thought he was drunk at first, but after watching him for awhile I realized he's simply one of the happiest and most energetic people you'll meet.

Pretty sure I wouldn't order food there though... :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I so wanted to stop there on my way but was not able to and now thanks to your post I’m no longer disappointed as I was only passing through Reliegos near 1pm and the bar would most likely have been closed (who knows. I’m going with that so not to be disappointed again). Thanks for sharing your experience there 👍

Yeah I can certainly see how it wouldn't be for everyone, which is why I wasn't overly surprised there were no other pilgrims there. The place is quite smokey (no pesky no smoking rules in that bar!), and has a certain dive-bar quality to it.
Well,then he could be in serious trouble when the government officials pay his café a visit.
There are hefty fines in Spain and most of Europe for this kind of violation . I do not call them pesky rules.

Thanks for the warning.A place to avoid.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well,then he could be in serious trouble when the government officials pay his café a visit.
There are hefty fines in Spain and most of Europe for this kind of violation . I do not call them pesky rules.

Thanks for the warning.A place to avoid.
Frankly I don't think gov't officials are high on the owner's list of concerns. Google him and his bar to get a sense of who he is. And as mentioned, the bar isn't for everyone. But there are many who appreciate it for what it is.

Frankly I don't think gov't officials are high on the owner's list of concerns. Google him and his bar to get a sense of who he is. And as mentioned, the bar isn't for everyone. But there are many who appreciate it for what it is.

Do not need to " google " him . I know the bar and in 2011 I stopped there and sat on the terrace and ordered a drink.
Another year it was closed.

Please read carefully my earlier post. Never did I mention that I do not appreciate the place, but merely saying that when he allows smoking inside the premises he is breaking the official law. So he might be the nicest fellow in Spain but that not makes what he does right.

Last edited:
This makes sense: the bar has a Facebook page, with a note that it was created in 2012. Also a note from Facebook that it still has no posts, although 239 people like and follow it. LOL

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do not need to " google " him . I know the bar and in 2011 I stopped there and sat on the terrace and ordered a drink.
Another year it was closed.

Please read carefully my earlier post. Never did I mention that I do not appreciate the place, but merely saying that when he allows smoking inside the premises he is breaking the official law. So he might be the nicest fellow in Spain but that not makes what he does right.
and as I said, I'm pretty confident that he has zero concerns about gov't officials, or people that don't like the fact that he allows smoking in his bar. Not all agree on what is "right".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
One pleasant surprise for me along the CF this spring was the Elvis Bar in Reliegos. I've since discovered that this is a fairly well-known bar, and I think it's even included in the film The Way. But I didn't know any of that when I stopped for the night in Reliegos. I just saw there was a bar called the Elvis Bar which sounded interesting and different, and when I went by there it was all covered in graffiti. Looked like my kinda bar, but it was closed at the time (afternoon). I went back that evening and it was open, and what a great place. A somewhat eccentric owner who is a joy to watch as he serves his customers. I was the only pilgrim in there that night for some reason. I highly recommend stopping there for a beer when your in Reliegos.
Have experienced this establishment before it's obvious as soon as you enter that hygein is not a priority in this bar openly smocking behind counter and generally the upkeep of place not very inviting at all I'm no prude being from Glasgow have seen my fair share of rough ready bars but this place just makes me itch at thought and sight of---- hole it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
His name is Sininn, if I recall.
I had a great time there in the autumn of 2018.
And "The Way" was playing on a battered old TV in the corner too.
Perfect.
JustJack, thanks for the update, this is excellent news.
My first visit most welcome after walking in sub-zero (C) temperatures from El Burgo back in 2008. Toots & Maytals’ Monkey Man playing full volume. The smoking indoors thing was irrelevant as there was a wood stove in the middle of the room that didn’t have its flue fitted properly, billowing acrid smoke.

Good to see from John's pic the same fixtures – particularly the haunch of Jamon and old knife, used for peeling off a fine strip for anyone he found sufficiently agreeable at the time (always involved a little Spanish conversation first). Health and Safety I hear you ask..
And yes, that old VHS recorder continuously playing the Way. Was worn to a haze back in 2018.
In 2018 the bar was closed in the day, but we came back in the evening. A lot of alcohol, smoking and general partying going on with many pilgrims very drunk. Sufficiently so for two (apparently respectable ones) who had been flirting with each other since Burgos to finally start getting intimate right there. Meanwhile a group of the local men looked on at this tableau chaotique in silence, agog, like tribe-seeking social anthropologists who couldn’t quite believe their luck.

I walked passed in the day time last year, disappointed that it was closed. Sat for a while outside and noticed how a lot of the wall paint had peeled away and how much of the previously joyous and irreverent graffiti had lost its life and colour. Looked like it might have been closed for good. So great to hear Sininis is still doing his thing.
Buen camino, in whichever way you choose..

Not all agree on what is "right".
Yes, and laws are there for a reason. If you're a scofflaw libertarian you might disagree, but there is harm from tobacco and squalor. That's what licensing is for

The guy might be the nicest person in Spain, but hearing stories like this I've never been inclined to patronize the place.
Of course YMMV. I walk the Camino for peace and quiet, and I hate noisy boozy gatherings with a passion.

But this definitely me chuckle:
Meanwhile a group of the local men looked on at this tableau chaotique in silence, agog, like tribe-seeking social anthropologists who couldn’t quite believe their luck.
🤣
Glad I wasn't in the same albergue room as the two of them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But what's so great about the place is how he doesn't seem to have a care in the world. I thought he was drunk at first, but after watching him for awhile I realized he's simply one of the happiest and most energetic people you'll meet.

In 2018 the bar was closed in the day, but we came back in the evening. A lot of alcohol, smoking and general partying going on with many pilgrims very drunk. Sufficiently so for two (apparently respectable ones) who had been flirting with each other since Burgos to finally start getting intimate right there. Meanwhile a group of the local men looked on at this tableau chaotique in silence, agog, like tribe-seeking social anthropologists who couldn’t quite believe their luck.
Wonderful anecdotes of a colourful Camino character. 😍

When I passed through late last year he was closed because of Monday or something, but I did bump into him near the little shop anyway, we had a little idle chat, great guy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes my wife and I loved the place! It is a must see place for a cool one on the way to Leon. I hope to get back there someday.

I personally loved the place when my family and I stopped in; a very unique, quirky place and I found the experience entertaining. The owner was very energetic and happy, and gave us free slices of that ham on the counter with our drinks. The place was clean, but I recall the bathrooms were "out back" somewhere. Here are my two pictures from 2017. I'd stop in again.
Screenshot_20230715-214100~2.pngScreenshot_20230715-214133~2.png

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bending topic a little. Bar Elvis was closed in September 2022, but Reliegos was one of my favorite Camino towns. We stayed at albergue Tu Camino and ate at Bar Gil with the wind and the cats. The Meseta town has a Wild West flavor with the stark streets and the bodegas. Sounds like the Bar Elvis fits in. Shall we call it gritty?

I was also surprised how cheap it was. Only bottled beer, but from what I recall it was either 1.80 or 2.30 for a beer or glass of wine. And the owner handed out free plates of olives. No idea how he manages to make any money. But what's so great about the place is how he doesn't seem to have a care in the world. I thought he was drunk at first, but after watching him for awhile I realized he's simply one of the happiest and most energetic people you'll meet.

I remember ordering food there and was not unhappy with it. Also, my and my son's passing through is marked with marker somewhere in the bar. I wanted to look for it when I passed through Reliegos this Camino but they were closed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
View attachment 152472

His name is Sininn, if I recall.

I had a great time there in the autumn of 2018.

And "The Way" was playing on a battered old TV in the corner too.

Perfect.
Better not blink, the segment is about 2 seconds of the main characters walking into/around the front of the bar. I found a Spanish dub for free on YouTube I watched waiting for the bar to open at 6pm but Google erroneously listed lunch hours.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.