• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The eternal sleeping bag question....

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
I know this gets asked all the time - but every time the question gets such a variety of answers that I have been left with doubt. When we cycle we always take two ancient down sleeping bags as well as sheet sleeping bags, and have only used the down ones once in an albergue (Benevent L'Abbaye on the Vezelay route - a freezing building, where we used several blankets as well.) We also take cotton or poly-cotton sheet sleeping bags which are used pretty regularly, especially in Spain (in France most of the pilgrim gites we have stayed in have been supplied with sheets, duvets and duvet covers - all very nice!) where in Irun and Santander I cannot recall any blankets , just using our sheets bags. But it was quite warm in Sept/Oct.

So - now we are going to be walking from Gernika to hopefully somewhere west of Santander in April. Staying in refugios as far as possible. Carrying as light a pack as possible. So the questions. . . ?

Can we rely on all refugios providing blankets? If so, will it be limited to one per person? If no blankets would a fleece liner be just about warm enough with most of one's clothes on as well?

Depending on the answers, this decision need to be made -
Do we take the down bags and sheet liners for both of us? or
Do we take fleece liners for both of us? or
Do we take a sheet liner and a fleece liner and one down bag - so that if not enough blankets Peter (colder blooded than Bridget) has the sheet liner and the down bag, and Bridget has the fleece one?

If the down bags return from Malaysia (where they are travelling with a daughter and boyfriend) having finally worn out (they are at least 40 years old and get thinner and thinner) the next decision will be how much to spend on replacing them - YIKES!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Chuck out the down bags and sheet liners, the fleece liners, sheet liners, blankets etc.
What you and Peter need are SELKS.

Attachments

• selkbag-sleep-wear-system.jpg
    selkbag-sleep-wear-system.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,111
Brilliant!!! I love them!

Though as a hot blooded individual, they look to me to be fairly on the hot side, as well as heavy...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, but what shall we take!!!?

You cannot rely on the weather;

You cannot rely on there being blankets;

You cannot rely on there being an albergue - the one in Gernika closed without warning a day or two before I arrived last September.

In the final analysis, you can rely on bugger all, except God and He requires that you tie your camels.

Thanks AJ (and Tia Valeria via PM)

There being no option for booking camels online on Brittany ferries (and they surely weighing even more than the SELKS) I am going with the old down bags, hoping they return in one piece from Malaysia, with the old polycotton liners. Peter froze even in these in the tent at Vezelay in 2008 even with all his clothes on but there was frost in the morning. And you have to suffer sometimes!

Yes, the refuge in Gernika was still closed at the beginning of October last year. I am going to email the nice tourist office there soon for information as Gernika will be opur starting point and it's nice to have your first night certain. If it's closed we'll have to go to the nice cheap hotel which did a pilgrim deal!
thanks
B

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.