• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The forum, 20 years on.

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
IMG_5824.jpeg
I can imagine that Ivar might wonder how the years have galloped by since he devised the project that 20 years ago became the Forum. It is of course a tribute to original values and ensuing adaptations that the standards have been maintained and updated in the rapidly changing context of 'The Camino to Santiago'.
Congratulations, Ivar and team.
Thank you to past moderators, as well as those currently serving.
I came across the forum when I began to research what The Camino might entail, in 2005/2006.
Looking again now at the statement of intent, the reason for the existence of the forum, I think it is commendable that it has survived the rise and growth of many online sources of information, fora, with less stringent rules. I suppose that is why it is still here!
There has to be a time for slipping out and away, in order to allow new members to find their place and make their mark on the forum. I did not join till probably about 2014, although there was a brief blip that belies that date, but in that time, I recall some members I miss a lot.
I would just like to take this opportunity to honour those pioneers, and welcome memories to inspire new pilgrims with tales of what was current and important in years gone by.
I am not going to name any members who no longer post, I just want to share my appreciation for their contributions. Wherever they may be on their pilgrimage!
For current and future pilgrims, buen camino.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
Thank you for this... and to all of you that makes this a good place to be. I always say that it is all of you that make this forum what it is...

Here is my first post on the forum from October 2004. I was user #1, all alone... it was a forum with 1 user and I posted this:

Who would have thought that 20 years later I would still be running this. So lucky.

All the best,
Ivar

Thank you for this... and to all of you that makes this a good place to be. I always say that it is all of you that make this forum what it is...

Here is my first post on the forum from October 2004. I was user #1, all alone... it was a forum with 1 user and I posted this:

Who would have thought that 20 years later I would still be running this. So lucky.

All the best,
Ivar
How strange.....and nice! Only a few days ago I was wondering was it possible to see post #1..... and there it is!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@ivar
I remember in 2009 Ivar's 'office' was on the right as you came towards the Cathedral on 'final approach'. The Camino Travel Centre? I posted on some 'stuff' there and also Ivar booked me into the 25 Julio hotel in SdC - I didn't know the significance of the date at that time - and also a hotel in Finisterre and arranged car hire with a local company! (I had a little jaunt at the end :).)
It feels both a long time ago and like yesterday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

All the best,
Ivar
Interesting, initially the site was not so much about the path as the destination. That has changed somewhat. And from the very first post there was a distinction made between "tourists" and "pilgrims". :) But Ivar was clear that the distinction was not prejudicial. The forum is for all.

Congratulations Ivar!
What a wonderful achievement this is!

Since November 25, 2009, when I joined participating in this unique effort has been part of my daily life.

One of the strengths of the forum has always been the importance of sharing. Tips and memories from/to scores of other readers, both known and unknown, pass through this community of digital acquaintances.
Long may it be so.
...Ultreia!

Last edited:
I think I have been both a forum member and donor for around 12 or 13 years. I support the comments about how much we value Ivar. He is a one man band but plays a very successful tune,. Thanks for all the work and big congrats on 20; of service to the Camino. Maybe one of the Camino Fraternities should give some long service award! Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just joined a few months ago and I am now in the middle of My Short Camino starting in Saint Jean de Luz and ending in Bilbao. So far my wife and I are really enjoying it. Gronze maps on my iPhone has helped to make this trip stress free. Gronze shows me alternate routes on the Norte and I find these alternates challenging, but the views are very rewarding. The tips and advice from others has been super helpful.

Thank You Ivar for creating this excellent resource for everyone to use.

@ivar
I remember in 2009 Ivar's 'office' was on the right as you came towards the Cathedral on 'final approach'. The Camino Travel Centre?
That's correct. After my first Camino July 2010 I stopped by the office but Ivar wasn't in. I finally did meet him years later at his previous location.

I too have visited the Forum almost daily over the past 14 years and even had a short stint as a Moderator.

Many members have come and gone but there is still a great group of members and Moderators. Congratulations!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
1,000 ,2,000 years from now...web archeologists will learn and see what Camino Culture..people, were like,did and experienced on the Way.

Names will be found
Adventures be had
Pictures of what the ancient culture were like

Humanity among disparate cultures drawn together.
One question will be.
Ivar posted first...who answered first?

I had to go and look, and saw that I joined at the start of 2011. That would have been when I was preparing my long camino from home.
I am not here every day and I have long(er) periods when my other life takes over, but I always enjoy browsing through threads, finding tips and curiosa, and reading about people's adventures.
Thank you, Ivar.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last edited:
The first non-Ivar post I found was post #6 on thread #6 titled "Thanks". It was posted by @Pilgrim who joined October 12, 2004 (but hasn't been seen since 2007).

I couldn't find threads 1 and 2. Ivar had post #3 in thread #3, post #4 in thread #4 and post #5 in thread #5.

This is post #1263694 in thread #87264.
Rick, you excel! A pile of bouquets ought to be winging their way to you!
here you have a few...
Gosh! I can't get the emojis to work. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact I needed to deal with compromised passwords - long story, won't elaborate.
something from the CP will do...
Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 17.00.24.png

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am on CF right now and just stopped in Os Arroxos Crispeta bar in Trabadelo. A Spanish pilgrim had exactly the same order as me and he paid 6.50 euro and I was charged 10.00 euro!!! It is not...
My son is planning to do the Camino this autumn. He loves skateboarding (not the breakneck type - just for transport) and would like to take his skateboard. I did the Camino Frances seven years...
Hola, todos. It seems entirely likely this has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find any discussion. If (when!) one decides to have a day off from walking, is it possible to stay in...
Hi we will be in Pamplona on 28th July. We are Irish mostly from Armagh and would like to know where best to watch the all ireland gaa football final. Any Galway pilgrims walking too. Would...
In case you want to recreate this cake, here is an easy (and gluten-free) recipe, from a fairly well-known food maven. She's American but has lived and worked in Spain for a number of years...
Hi Camino pilgrims Thank you for having me on your forum. I will be travelling the Camino again this September,my second trip, and was wondering if it is acceptable to stay in the hostels and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.