• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The good news is that I know that there is no wrong answer?

Fearbocht

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 Santiago to Finisterre & Muxia, 2016 Portugues Valencia to Santiago, August 2016 Norte- Bilbao to Santander, Nov 16 STJPdP -wherever a week takes us!
I will do a bit of a preamble introduction but promise that I will get to a question by the time I finish!

I have managed to get myself to Gallicia for two separate glorious weeks on the Camino! In August last year I did the Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia piece and at Easter this year I did the Portugues route from Valencia into Santiago! I did both with a friend of mine but this time he can't travel. I am flying from Dublin to Zurich to meet some people on the weekend of the 19th of August and as a plan we had made to do the Kerry Camino(Tralee to St James's Church in Dingle had fallen through) I made the decision to change my return flight from Zurich from the 21st to instead take the Aer Lingus flight from Santiago on the 28th August. So the assumption is that I get to wake up in Zurich on the morning of the 21st of August, take my backpack with me and the next responsibility I have is to be at Santiago airport on the morning of the 28th August.

Currently I am leaning towards booking a flight to Bilbao from Zurich and walking as much of the North route as I feel like at whatever pace I feel like and figure out when I am there how to get to Santiago for the following Sunday.

The reason I have chosen this option is:

It is a direct flight from Zurich at noon.
Whatever point I land at after walking from Bilbao someone in the nice tourist offices will be able to tell me which of the various options for train/plane make most sense. I could research the various bus/train sites and can do that on the Thursday of the week that I am there anyway...it will be a little trek on the bus on the Saturday night but either way there will have to be some non-walking travel if travelling from Zurich--Some point on the Camino--Santiago--Dublin over a week.
I am not too pushed about the compostella..I have three at home in little tubes that I am delighted to have but haven't framed or hung them yet...and I can keep my passport and fill in the places I miss on the Nord on some later trip.
I was drawn towards doing the Ingles but after a few too many beers in Zurich getting multiple flights and trains on the Sunday don't do it.
I was also drawn towards going to Porto and walking the piece of the Portugues from there up to Valencia but this just feels better.
Myself and my friend have booked a week in October to start in StJPdP and start with a week on the Frances route so I may as well leave that possibly as a route we can do together either in pieces over the years or hopefully in one fell swoop!

So as I said at the top there is no wrong answer. I am just wondering if there is an alternative I haven't thought about that makes much more sense for a week and within the parameters I am working to?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You know about walking in Spain. I have walked the last 100km of all the routes into Santiago, and longer on some of the routes. It is always a dilemma, one that I often solve by walking the Camino Frances for whatever time I have just because it has the best infrastructure, and I am getting old and lazy! Bilbao sounds great, as does the Camino Portugues. On the other hand, walking with friends on the Camino Frances sounds great as well. None of this helps with your decision! Good luck deciding. ;)

You've lots of options, and I quite like your idea of just walking from Bilbao and seeing where you end up. Rome2Rio.com will help you to figure out how to get to Santiago from your end point.

Alternatively, you could begin your walk a little closer to Santiago. There are direct buses from Bilbao (bus station) to quite a few towns and cities on Camino routes. One option might be to take a bus from Bilbao to Oviedo and walk part of the Camino Primitivo - which would bring you closer to Santiago airport.

I'm sure that others will come up with much more imaginative suggestions. Buen Camino and happy planning!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Fearbocht! Welcome to the forum!

I am just wondering if there is an alternative I haven't thought about that makes much more sense for a week and within the parameters I am working to?

I would consider the option of walking from Ávila to Zamora on the Camino de Levante in which case you would fly from Zürich to Madrid.

On the plus side:
  • More flights from Zürich to Madrid than to Bilbao what means more chances of finding a cheaper fare.
  • There's frequent bus and train service from Madrid to Ávila.
  • Ávila to Zamora is 6 days walking.
  • There are direct trains and buses from Zamora to Santiago de Compostela.
  • The old town of Ávila is in the UNESCO World Heritage list.
  • If you walk at a slow pace and don't go all the way to Zamora, there are direct trains from Medina del Campo to Santiago de Compostela too.
  • If you walk at a slow pace but not as slow as to end in Medina del Campo, you could end in Toro from where there's frequent bus service to Zamora.
  • Zamora is a nice town to visit so if you want to avoid the long day from Toro to Zamora, take a bus (i.e.: don't stay overnight in Toro but don't go out of Toro without taking a look at its sights) and play the tourist in Zamora.

Thank you all for your replies.

Castilian that avila to zamora suggestions is one I'd never have come up with in a million years....but it definitely has the cogs turning!

Again thanks for the suggestions. I did the research and gave it a couple of night's sleep and decided to land in Bilbao, make my way to Portugalete and walk from there on the Monday morning and see where I ended up by foot, train or bus! The lure of the sea, the lack of any significant difference in air fares and the simple KISS motto(keep it simple stupid!) won out in the end! But the Avila to Zamora idea will probably make a nice week for some time in 2017! I can't wait now...children anticipate Christmas with less excitement than I am experiencing! 8 sleeps to my next Camino mini adventure!:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But the Avila to Zamora idea will probably make a nice week for some time in 2017!

Be aware that Ávila to Zamora is all in the meseta. I warn you because there's people who loves the meseta but there's also people that don't like it... Meseta means it's basically flat although sometimes you may find rolling terrain. It also means a lot of treeless terrain (agricultural fields).

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back