• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Meseta

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting May 18th in Burgos to Santiago
Today it's 4 months since i started my Camino in Burgos. It hasn't been one single day without thinking about the beautiful journey which i was so fortunate to take part of.

As a native Norwegian- i'm quite used to mountains and hilly terrain, The Meseta was for me the best part of the Camino- i even dream about walking the mestea during nights.

I have to go back!

(This is the first glimpse of Hontanas)

18559023_456349504704071_1359154416480565382_o.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I remember Hontanas coming out of the dirt in front of me, no idea it was there and then, there it was. If you love the Meseta then you would love the Vdlp or Levante, both have their own long flat sections. Isn't it strange how we are attracted to what we don't have - many of us would love to walk the Norwegian hills, and I've received strange looks from people that I'd leave climbing in NZ to walk in Spain, Mountains and bush are great, but no Roman Roads to walk on let alone Templar Castles to sleep in.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Havard,
I remember very clearly the first time I walked into Hontanas and like you I just simply loved the Meseta. The blue skies and the horizon that goes to infinity are my clearest memories and your photograph captures those memories perfectly. I found it a place where you could be absolutely alone but never lonely. Like you I will go back and experience the magic again and again.
Aidan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I still hope to do the Camino - maybe even next year - if I can get to walking properly again. I literally dream of walking the Meseta at night, by moon and starlight. And the views in the mountains! And - like my sister-in-law says - checking out every blade of grass and flower, and taking pictures of many of them :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
- i'm quite used to mountains and hilly terrain, The Meseta was for me the best part of

My hills have been an important part of my training, both head and body. So, getting onto the Massif Centrale last April was a breeze. And then five days on the tops at 1400 metres above sea level made the difference for me.

let alone Templar Castles to sleep in.

Not only no Templar Castles, only one monastery, humungous distances between backpacker hostels, and many narrow bridges on the principal walking roads in Aotearoa make France and Spain delightful places to walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Today it's 4 months since i started my Camino in Burgos. It hasn't been one single day without thinking about the beautiful journey which i was so fortunate to take part of.

As a native Norwegian- i'm quite used to mountains and hilly terrain, The Meseta was for me the best part of the Camino- i even dream about walking the mestea during nights.

I have to go back!

OMGoodness - you have no idea how much longing that photo has just triggered in me. The Meseta was by far my favourite part ....... I need to go back to the Francés (sigh !!)

I remember Hontanas coming out of the dirt in front of me, no idea it was there and then, there it was. If you love the Meseta then you would love the Vdlp or Levante, both have their own long flat sections. Isn't it strange how we are attracted to what we don't have - many of us would love to walk the Norwegian hills, and I've received strange looks from people that I'd leave climbing in NZ to walk in Spain, Mountains and bush are great, but no Roman Roads to walk on let alone Templar Castles to sleep in.
I totally agree With you! The great wide open area was indeed fantastic. Staying in Hontanas was unforgettable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Havard,
I remember very clearly the first time I walked into Hontanas and like you I just simply loved the Meseta. The blue skies and the horizon that goes to infinity are my clearest memories and your photograph captures those memories perfectly. I found it a place where you could be absolutely alone but never lonely. Like you I will go back and experience the magic again and again.
Aidan
It was indeed fantastic!

I also vividly remember coming up to Hontanas. It seemed like you could be 250m from it and have no idea it was there.

I took this photo between Fromista and Carrion de los Condes and made a phone case out of it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BIUinJ0Asjs/

All of this talk about the Meseta has brought to mind a question that occurred to me the other day:

Imagine you have a friend who is planning to walk the Camino Frances. But they don't have the month to walk the complete distance. Their current plan is to walk from SJPP to Logroño, then bus to Astorga (with brief stops in Burgos and Leon) and finish the walk from there. You have convinced them to also add a brief stop along the Meseta. Where should that stop be?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also vividly remember coming up to Hontanas. It seemed like you could be 250m from it and have no idea it was there.

I took this photo between Fromista and Carrion de los Condes and made a phone case out of it. https://www.instagram.com/p/BIUinJ0Asjs/

All of this talk about the Meseta has brought to mind a question that occurred to me the other day:

Imagine you have a friend who is planning to walk the Camino Frances. But they don't have the month to walk the complete distance. Their current plan is to walk from SJPP to Logroño, then bus to Astorga (with brief stops in Burgos and Leon) and finish the walk from there. You have convinced them to also add a brief stop along the Meseta. Where should that stop be?
How about Burgos and then some days of walking from there?

How about Burgos and then some days of walking from there?
That would be great but for the purpose of the exercise, let's assume that, after hours of argument, I was only able to convince him to trim one day from the rest of his Camino elsewhere and add it to the Meseta. The question is really, which place on the Meseta is the most representative or rewarding?

I think, tempted as I am by Fromista and Sahagun, I would probably end up sending him to Carrion de los Condes to the albergue we stayed at next to the Church, where the nuns have an informal singalong. Ideally on a day when CaminoArtes has a concert in the evening in the church.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is the first glimpse of Hontanas

It seemed like you could be 250m from it and have no idea it was there

Early May 2016, I knew I was close but dreading every step (I had pulled muscles in my right thigh some time before). So really pleased when the tower came into view - it seemed so unreal.

For the Meseta lovers I would suggest Camino de Madrid or Levante. I haven't walked VdlP yet but from others posts and photos I've seen I believe it's more or less the same. Especially on Camino de Madrid after Segovia villages are either on small hills or hidden in some kind of oasis like Hontanas. Some nice pine forest along the way too. That's why Madrid has more shade than Levante.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I still hope to do the Camino - maybe even next year - if I can get to walking properly again. I literally dream of walking the Meseta at night, by moon and starlight. And the views in the mountains! And - like my sister-in-law says - checking out every blade of grass and flower, and taking pictures of many of them :)

Will yourself to do anything and it will happen !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I stayed at the Orion in Castrojeriz! What a gorgeous place xx
Did you visit the little art gallery "The Hospitalfor the Soul"?
You walk through in silence...the artist has made his entire house a gallery - amazing! You must see ❤
We are here right now (Castrojeriz) and it is awesomely beautiful!!!!

You walk through in silence...the artist has made his entire house a gallery - amazing! You must see ❤
Thanks for the recommendation

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Havard,
Aidan
The meseta was an amazing experience yet many avoid it by catching a bus to the next major town but they don't know what they are missing while it is hot and no shade the peace and quite and senery made up for it and I agree while you are alone you are not lonely their is some magic in walking the meseta that makes me want to go back and experience

My reason for walking the Camino in 2017 was to find peace after the loss of my sister. I loved the Hospital for the Soul. I found that peace while praying there. I left my rock with my sisters name on it in the cave behind the building.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I have to go back!

That hike into Hontanas was epic. The headwinds were howling and I was howling right back at the winds, taunting them by asking if that was the best they had. The albergue in Hontanas was one of the best, and the communal meal of paella was outstanding. I loved walking the Meseta.

That hike into Hontanas was epic. The headwinds were howling and I was howling right back at the winds, taunting them by asking if that was the best they had. The albergue in Hontanas was one of the best, and the communal meal of paella was outstanding. I loved walking the Meseta.
You are the Captain Ahab of the Meseta. Totally agree with you!

I have to go back!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are the Captain Ahab of the Meseta. Totally agree with you!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Always good to read about La Meseta. La Meseta saved my 2017 camino, and if I only had one section of the Camino Frances to walk, this would be the one. Arriving Hontanas is awesome, but I was not able to sleep that night, the church was busy ringing the bells around the clock every 30 minutes. Long live La Meseta. Thanks for reading y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

As some of the posts have said already, the key is magnesium. I used to get nasty leg cramps after very long walks. Now, after a lot of exercise, I just take a magnesium tablet or two and I've not had a cramp since (unless I forgot or was just too lazy :) ). So, if you can, bananas do the trick. If they are not available just carry some magnesium pills. They don't weigh much.

As some of the posts have said already, the key is magnesium. I used to get nasty leg cramps after very long walks. Now, after a lot of exercise, I just take a magnesium tablet or two and I've not had a cramp since (unless I forgot or was just too lazy :) ). So, if you can, bananas do the trick. If they are not available just carry some magnesium pills. They don't weigh much.
Just be aware that the magnesium pills can um, have an effect of speeding up your digestive process. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.