• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time to buy new Altras

peregrina2000

Staff member
I wore Altras Lone Peak 3.0 on my camino last year. I will spare you all the epiphany that I had thanks to @davebugg, but suffice it to say that my 19 years of caminos in hiking boots or hiking shoes are DONE! Now it’s time to buy a new pair for Camino 2019. Of course, the 3.0 is no longer available. I see that the 3.5 is available, but not all sizes at all places. Altras’ website is only selling the 4.0.

Any advice on the differences between these shoes? I suppose it is silly to try to find a pair of 3.0 on ebay or some such place, but I am one who likes to stick with what works.

I very much liked the low shoe, but see they make higher ones. Would appreciate opinions on that point as well.

Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I moved over to the Lone Peak 3.5's and completed the Norte & Ingles last year and loved them.

Although I have done close on 1000 miles, I can still use them for training hikes on dry flat surfaces - the tread disappeared around Sigueiro last year.

It's been nigh-on impossible to buy 3.5's in the UK, particularly in size 11. So have moved across to the Lone Peak 4.0. To date I have completed approx. 2 x 20 mile hikes and find them even better than the 3,5's.
Although the shoe is a total remake (soles and upper in new materials), the only difference I have seen is the toe box is slightly wider.

Talking to fellow hikers, the feedback has generally been - if you like the 3.5's, you'll love the 4.0's.
However. you may need to re-check the sizing as some feedback is that the 4.0 is a slightly larger fit (maybe because of the increased width). I personally did not find the size difference - but then I am a heathen :eek:

Hope this helps
Davie

My husband and I wear lots of Altra's. for years Running, knock around and the trial Lone Peaks until the 4.0 I didn't care for the new last on the 3.5 and the 4's are a mess in my opinion. I have gotten pair of TOPO trail shoes. I think the model "ultra ventures". I have done a couple of 10k's around my neighborhood and I am liking them. I was happy when Altra came on the scene with the wide toe box and minimal soles for running. Well, they discontinued my running shoe last year....so sad. Inov8 is a good shoe but too aggressive sole for a camino....found out the hard way and paid with sore feet for a month. But they are a good shoe for a more rocky route. good luck, always hate when I have to find a new ride.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With enough years to experience something that's perfect (the perfect bra, bathing suit, Altras et al) I've learned that if you are loving something, buy more of it/them BEFORE you will need them 'cause they are going to change or discontinue it for sure. Makes me crazy! It feel nuts to buy something before it's needed but it is the way to go to ensure you'll have it a little longer. Love my Altras. Bought a second pair right away. Hoping I'll love the Altra 4s but they may be gone by the time I need 'em.

I wore Altras Lone Peak 3.0 on my camino last year. I will spare you all the epiphany that I had thanks to @davebugg, but suffice it to say that my 19 years of caminos in hiking boots or hiking shoes are DONE! Now it’s time to buy a new pair for Camino 2019. Of course, the 3.0 is no longer available. I see that the 3.5 is available, but not all sizes at all places. Altras’ website is only selling the 4.0.

Any advice on the differences between these shoes? I suppose it is silly to try to find a pair of 3.0 on ebay or some such place, but I am one who likes to stick with what works.

I very much liked the low shoe, but see they make higher ones. Would appreciate opinions on that point as well.

The good news is that for most folks who loved the 3.0 and the 3.5 for the comfort and fit, it is reported that they also approve of the 4.0. One of the nicer improvements is a sorta segmented 'rock plate' that allows more forefoot flexion. Of course, what most report to be true is irrelevant if such isn't true for you, Laurie. So trying them out and if they are a no-no, the ability to make easy return to the seller will be important.

The bad news. They changed the composition of the outer sole. :( There are two common complaints.
  1. They seem to have a bit less traction on wet surfaces. Others say this is not so.
  2. Since their release last fall, some have complained of premature wear of the outer sole.
I find both of these complaints to be potentially subjective.

Traction issues are extremely difficult to reproduce for testing, much less for regular wear. This means that there is no way certain for someone to compare an older shoe with a new one in identical traction situations.

The other factor is that it is important to assess exactly when during the life of the shoe are people making a comparison. It is a known fact that after the outer soles have been worn for a while, they become 'grippy-er'. That's because there are thin layers of embedded production 'oils' in a new outersole that allow it to release from the mold that forms them. The new outersoles are also 'harder'.

Both of these factors resolve with some wear. The oils wear off, and the 'hardness' of the outersole becomes gritted and pitted and softened a bit. The 'grippy' factor goes up.

Premature wear of the outersole could be an issue of an initial run of the shoe where a defect in the 'ingredients' of the outersole production caused something to be not included in the batch or a wrong ingredient added accidentally. Sorta like leaving out salt in bread dough. . . normally the bread will turn out great, but the flub up with that one batch of dough creates a bread that tastes 'flat'.

The other issue is that with all of the different ways that a person will wear a shoe, from how it is fitted to the addition of inserts like insoles or orthotics to changes in a persons stride (like increasing problems with pronation) ANY new shoe might exhibit premature wear.

And there might just be an issue with the shoe, period. That is why shoe manufactures will hire people like me to continuously do quality assurance testing of their shoes throughout their production life. If there is a fault in manufacture that shows up with testing at any time, then production methods can be examined from where the raw materials are sourced to final construction. If the problem is identified, it can be corrected.

My best advice is to try the 4.0. Everything I've heard suggests that the comfort will either be similar to your 3.0s or better. If there is an issue with the quality of the pair of shoes you purchase, the manufacturer will have their warranty which they are great about honoring.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi laurie, this is the website I use for gear reviews for all hiking related gear. They are not a commercial review and don't sell stuff. https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topi...running-shoes?specs=n&n=0&sort_field=#compare

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I moved over to the Lone Peak 3.5's and completed the Norte & Ingles last year and loved them.

Although I have done close on 1000 miles, I can still use them for training hikes on dry flat surfaces - the tread disappeared around Sigueiro last year.

It's been nigh-on impossible to buy 3.5's in the UK, particularly in size 11. So have moved across to the Lone Peak 4.0. To date I have completed approx. 2 x 20 mile hikes and find them even better than the 3,5's.
Although the shoe is a total remake (soles and upper in new materials), the only difference I have seen is the toe box is slightly wider.

Talking to fellow hikers, the feedback has generally been - if you like the 3.5's, you'll love the 4.0's.
However. you may need to re-check the sizing as some feedback is that the 4.0 is a slightly larger fit (maybe because of the increased width). I personally did not find the size difference - but then I am a heathen :eek:

Hope this helps
Davie

I hope those midsoles are still good...

Regardless of tread or mileage, I get rid of shoes once the midsoles are done

I am in the middle of the camino Frances rigjt know, with a pair of low altras 4.o. I am so so happy with them. No foot issues at all so far, I feel great!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The new numbers are supposed to be for new improvements, but I found the Lone Peak 3.5 has a smaller toe box and I like the wide toe box. A friend could not find a replacement for the Lone Peak when he was walking the Pacific Crest Trail and the closest he found was the Altra Olympus 3.0 and said he will never go back to the Lone Peak because of more foot support he walk in them 500 miles to finish the PCT.

@peregrina2000 I love the lone peak 3.0 and tried the 3.5 but the fit was very different and I ended up with horrible little toe blisters. I'm loathed to try the 4:0 for the same reason but I did find a pair of 3.0 online for only 86€ so bought them. I wish I could find another pair in my size as I'd buy a few pairs. I've also seen a few reviews that say the 4.0 is not a robust?

I've just ordered a wide-fit Salomon speedcross 4.... I'll be interested to see if they really are an EE wide fit?

https://www.salomon.com/en-int/shop-emea/product/speedcross-4-wide.html#848=9431

good luck!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wore the Altra Olympus in 2016 and in 2018 the Timp--the TImp is basically the Lone Peak with a bit more cushioning and wider toe box.

I'm late to this party, but my pedorthist said that, for my particular foot issues, he recommended against the Lone Peak 4.0's and put me in Timps. I'm training in them and my feet are so happy. I'll order another pair to take on the Camino.

Edited to add: the reason he recommended against the 4.0 is the change with the midsole. Again, for my particular foot issues.

I am sporting a pair of Olympus 3. I have about 300 ~ 350 miles of road walking on them. They do not show any signs of real wear. I am wearing the Good Feet strengtheners (orthotics) under the standard insole. Either those strengtheners are working or my plantar facsiitis is healing on its own. So far I like them. I think I watched a Youtube video by DarwinOnTheTrail ... ~he converted from Lone Peaks. :D:cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore Altra Lone Peak 3.0 water-resistant shoes on my Camino and loved them. (I've actually been wearing them for the year following my Camino and they STILL haven't worn out! Although I did have to replace the insole...). An interesting thread as I'm looking to buy another pair for my next Camino.

With enough years to experience something that's perfect (the perfect bra, bathing suit, Altras et al) I've learned that if you are loving something, buy more of it/them BEFORE you will need them 'cause they are going to change or discontinue it for sure.

I agree. Years ago, I found a pair of LL Bean Gore Tex hiking shoes that fit so perfectly they were a revelation. Some had a manufacturing defect, so Bean clearanced them and I bought seven pair ($30 each - none failed).

I’ve got two brand new Hoka One One Tor Ultra Hi WPs in boxes waiting for my current (second) pair to wear out. Doing this also gives you the advantage of jumping on sale prices. When I see them for deep discounts, I snap them up.

Last edited:
Last year on the Mozarabe I tried a pair of Hoka's instead of my Altra's and they gave up on me. So I got a pair of La Sportiva Ultra Raptor mountain trail shoes, made for wearing them for long stretches, while in Granada. I love them the right mixture of light and ankle support for me . I still like my altra's but the sportiva is my go to shoe for now.

link: https://www.lasportiva.com/en/ultra-raptor?options=26349

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Hi Laurie,
I had never heard of Altras because I've been wearing Innov8 shoes for many years and love them. But, guess what I just found? The shoe that you like and here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B72I49I/?tag=casaivar02-20

This year I am leaving in 3 weeks to do the Camino Portugués, but maybe I'll give the Altras a try in the future. The idea of a wider toe box is definitely what I like and need for my feet:)

Buen Camino, Laurie!

Mary

We walked from A Garda to Santiago in pouring rain at the end of Nov. 2018. I wore the high ankle Lone Peak 3.5 I was worried because ankle "boots" always hurt after awhile. I like them better now than the low model, as I believe they gave my ankles more support without the hurt. If you can wait to purchase, Altra has a big sale in July. We got great prices last year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm a heretic. I purchased Altra Lone Peak 3.5 because long distance hikers adopted them. What I found is the Altras are great on rough surfaces. Found them miserable on paved surfaces. The zero drop design felt uncomfortable. Prefer Brooks and Vasque trail runners. Combined with compression socks avoided blisters last fall on the Francais.

The good news is that for most folks who loved the 3.0 and the 3.5 for the comfort and fit, it is reported that they also approve of the 4.0. One of the nicer improvements is a sorta segmented 'rock plate' that allows more forefoot flexion. Of course, what most report to be true is irrelevant if such isn't true for you, Laurie. So trying them out and if they are a no-no, the ability to make easy return to the seller will be important.

The bad news. They changed the composition of the outer sole. :( There are two common complaints.
  1. They seem to have a bit less traction on wet surfaces. Others say this is not so.
  2. Since their release last fall, some have complained of premature wear of the outer sole.
I find both of these complaints to be potentially subjective.

Traction issues are extremely difficult to reproduce for testing, much less for regular wear. This means that there is no way certain for someone to compare an older shoe with a new one in identical traction situations.

The other factor is that it is important to assess exactly when during the life of the shoe are people making a comparison. It is a known fact that after the outer soles have been worn for a while, they become 'grippy-er'. That's because there are thin layers of embedded production 'oils' in a new outersole that allow it to release from the mold that forms them. The new outersoles are also 'harder'.

Both of these factors resolve with some wear. The oils wear off, and the 'hardness' of the outersole becomes gritted and pitted and softened a bit. The 'grippy' factor goes up.

Premature wear of the outersole could be an issue of an initial run of the shoe where a defect in the 'ingredients' of the outersole production caused something to be not included in the batch or a wrong ingredient added accidentally. Sorta like leaving out salt in bread dough. . . normally the bread will turn out great, but the flub up with that one batch of dough creates a bread that tastes 'flat'.

The other issue is that with all of the different ways that a person will wear a shoe, from how it is fitted to the addition of inserts like insoles or orthotics to changes in a persons stride (like increasing problems with pronation) ANY new shoe might exhibit premature wear.

And there might just be an issue with the shoe, period. That is why shoe manufactures will hire people like me to continuously do quality assurance testing of their shoes throughout their production life. If there is a fault in manufacture that shows up with testing at any time, then production methods can be examined from where the raw materials are sourced to final construction. If the problem is identified, it can be corrected.

My best advice is to try the 4.0. Everything I've heard suggests that the comfort will either be similar to your 3.0s or better. If there is an issue with the quality of the pair of shoes you purchase, the manufacturer will have their warranty which they are great about honoring.
Thanks Dave, better information than those gear review websites.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With enough years to experience something that's perfect (the perfect bra, bathing suit, Altras et al) I've learned that if you are loving something, buy more of it/them BEFORE you will need them 'cause they are going to change or discontinue it for sure. Makes me crazy! It feel nuts to buy something before it's needed but it is the way to go to ensure you'll have it a little longer. Love my Altras. Bought a second pair right away. Hoping I'll love the Altra 4s but they may be gone by the time I need 'em.
Same. After some obsessive research and following Dixie (Homemade Wanderlust) on YouTube I ordered a pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5 Mid Mesh over the internet. Came back and immediately order the Mid RSM version (also on sale) for my spring Camino. You can still find the 3.5 online, & Altra (US) has some sizes available in their outlet dept. Also at CampSaver (US, Florida, I think).

I have low Altra Lone PeK 3.5 and love them. My husband just bought high top LP 4.0. The lacing is different in that the lace goes through a tunnel of fabric rather than a hole. The fabric on the top of the foot is also different...thin, but has a plastic feel to it. He loves them. Both are the waterproof version.

I have low Altra Lone PeK 3.5 and love them. My husband just bought high top LP 4.0. The lacing is different in that the lace goes through a tunnel of fabric rather than a hole. The fabric on the top of the foot is also different...thin, but has a plastic feel to it. He loves them. Both are the waterproof version.

I would say that the waterproofing feature on the Altras is not great. At least in my altras last year, after only about 15 days walking, my feet would be soaked just by walking through wet grass in the morning. I basically have come around to accept what davebugg and others have said — that it is better to have a quick drying shoe than one that purports to be waterproof because they never really are.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My podiatrist wants me to switch to Altra Olympus, but no one carries them near me in Sacramento. I've been using Hoka Stinson ATR 4s for about a year and they are great but I really need to get into true zero drop with max cushioning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What would the Altra fans wear for a winter Camino? The lower elevations might not be so much of a snow problem, but what about the higher elevations?

In snow and cold weather you are better off in footwear that is more weatherproof. While I use trail runners for mid-spring to late fall when backpacking or Camino, I use my Lowa boots for sloppy and snowy winter backpacking. For Camino, something like the Hoka One One Tor, would be a good example of the type of footwear to consider.

When snow chilly conditions exist during winter to early spring, you want footwear to do the opposite of what it needs to do in mid-spring thru late fall during warmer weather.

You want the footwear to limit -- as much as is reasonable -- weather intrusion to your feet. If exposed to lots of moisture, even 'waterproof' footwear can get water inside. BUT, with a medium padded merino-type wool sock or wool blend, your feet will stay warm. The 'waterproof' nature of the footwear creates a primitive vapor barrier which helps keep warmth inside. It is the cold temperatures which are the potential danger, not wet or damp feet.

If the wet conditions are limited or light, then wet feet will not be an issue. The cold temperatures will also moderate the amount of sweating that your feet will do inside this type of footwear.

In situations where you do have wet feet, you should use wet feet protection strategies to prevent skin damage from maceration.

I wore Lone Peak 3.0, non-waterproof, on two summer caminos and loved them. They were not that great on the cobblestones on the Portuguese route, but I am not sure there is anything out there that will overcome that! I bought the Lone Peak 4.0 for my upcoming camino. In general it seems pretty much the same as the 3.0. I have narrow feet and especially the heel. I like the Altras for the "square" toe box. Full disclosure...I use a custom orthotic so I take out the factory insole and replace it with a Spenco insole and let my custom orthotic do the necessary arch support.
I began to wonder if it was the cobblestones, or that maybe just a bit more cushioning would be better overall. I saw some positive comments about the Altra Timp and decided to give it a go. I've been out with my new Temp 1.5's several days now and my feet are very happy. Timp 1.5 is the one for me.
Judy

My podiatrist wants me to switch to Altra Olympus, but no one carries them near me in Sacramento. I've been using Hoka Stinson ATR 4s for about a year and they are great but I really need to get into true zero drop with max cushioning.
Order them direct from Altra. They offer free shipping and free return shipping, along with a 30 day trial period.

€83,-
Finding shoes that fit my hobbit feet has been a long and painful battle! I walked the VdlP in Lone Peak 3.0s and loved them. I've since bought a pair whenever I could find them but 3 years on I'm struggling to find them ... BUT!

I ordered this in a wide https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...ross-4-(wide-fit)-trail-running-shoes-~-ss19/

I have to say that when I took them out of the box they looked so small I put them back in (in disgust) and was going to send them back. But common sense got the better of me and I tried them on and was very surprised that they felt comfortable. I wore them around the house for a week and again was surprised that they felt good. I took them for a 4km walk around the hills where we live and again... so far so good. This week I'm taking them out for a 17km walk... if they're still feeling good I might be tempted to buy a few more pairs!

I love the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 but later editions didn't suit me so well... I'm so happy that I might have found an alternative!

I have well over 400 miles on my Altra Olympus. They are finally starting to show some sign of wear on the inside back of the heel. I usually have this problem ... maybe the back of my heels (achilles) is just boney. Anyway, I covered it up with some thick duck tape. I burnt through 2 pair of Hoka Bondi 6 last year on the camino with this problem. I lace lock, so I don't think it is heel slip.

I am going to try Engo - Back of Heel Patches on my next pair. :D:cool:

The Engo pads are miraculous. They go in the shoe; not on your foot, so you don't have to replace them all the time. In fact I've had some in my shoes for two years. I brought extras on the Camino and gave miraculous relief to two people who were getting hot spots from rubbing inside their shoe. I am Santa Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What would the Altra fans wear for a winter Camino? The lower elevations might not be so much of a snow problem, but what about the higher elevations?
I don't know if my experience means much, but I have just returned from walking Camino Frances wearing Altra Lone Peaks. I encountered 2 days of snow and 4 days of constant rain.

The snow was no problem - the grip of the LP was exceptional and they didn't get wet at all. Shoes and socks were dry even after hours of snow falling on them.

Rain - goodness me. On day 1, we got caught in a deluge in which my shoes and socks were squelching within 2 minutes. We found shelter, wrung everything out, kept walking after the rain passed and by the time we arrived at the albergue a couple of hours later, shoes and socks were nearly completely dry and certainly completely dry by the next morning. Days later I walked in rain for 4 consecutive days covering 130kms, so a fair number of hours exposed to the rain. Shoes held up really well snd dried really quickly. It was only on day 3, at the end of a 42km day in driving rain, that my shoes and socks started to feel quite wet (still not as squelchy as day 1 though). And again, they were dry the next day.

While I probably wouldn't wear them in the middle of winter, I thought the Altra LPs handled a variety of conditions really well.

I have been caught in rain and even stream crossings many times in my Altras. I always wear Darn Tough socks and liners with them, and my feet stay relatively dry and it all dries fast.

I love this combination for all weather, even summer heat.

I don't know if my experience means much, but I have just returned from walking Camino Frances wearing Altra Lone Peaks. I encountered 2 days of snow and 4 days of constant rain.

The snow was no problem - the grip of the LP was exceptional and they didn't get wet at all. Shoes and socks were dry even after hours of snow falling on them.

Rain - goodness me. On day 1, we got caught in a deluge in which my shoes and socks were squelching within 2 minutes. We found shelter, wrung everything out, kept walking after the rain passed and by the time we arrived at the albergue a couple of hours later, shoes and socks were nearly completely dry and certainly completely dry by the next morning. Days later I walked in rain for 4 consecutive days covering 130kms, so a fair number of hours exposed to the rain. Shoes held up really well snd dried really quickly. It was only on day 3, at the end of a 42km day in driving rain, that my shoes and socks started to feel quite wet (still not as squelchy as day 1 though). And again, they were dry the next day.

While I probably wouldn't wear them in the middle of winter, I thought the Altra LPs handled a variety of conditions really well.
I have been caught in rain and even stream crossings many times in my Altras. I always wear Darn Tough socks and liners with them, and my feet stay relatively dry and it all dries fast.

I love this combination for all weather, even summer heat.

Well, you guys have been lucky, or I have been unlucky. I found that my Lone Peaks had virtually no water resistance. In fact, walking through wet grass in the morning meant I had wet feet in a matter of minutes. Not a big deal, because I have decided that getting wet feet in shoes that dry quickly is preferable to my many years of goretex that didn’t really keep my feet dry either in any storm of consequence, and then I was stuck with a slow drying shoe.

Overall, this issue did not detract from my enthusiastic love of these wonderful shoes. :)

Do you wear gaiters?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Altras are NOT water resistant, but they do dry very quickly. As Priscilla said, paired with darn tough socks makes them perfect! Have done snow, rain, mud (lots of mud...too much mud....😵), heat, and the rest in my Altras.

Walking a winter Camino can be much more than a few days of snow, rain and mud. Our winter walk consisted of 28 days of bad weather ( 6 days of sun) all three of the above including some high winds and we hike in these conditions frequently. I wear Keene mid top waterproof boots to protect my feet from the elements and sometimes along with gaiters. The rest of the year I wear Altra Lone Peaks which is my go hiking shoe with smart wool socks. Sometimes there is snow and river crossings but lots of rain regularly and my Altras are very proficient along with smart wool or waterproof socks and the shoes dry quickly.

Well, not a moment too soon (I leave in two weeks), I found a pair of Lone Peaks 3.0 in my size on the internet. So rather than experiment with a new model Altras, I am going to stick with tried and true, even though my feet got wet walking through wet grass.

I have read that some say the comfort/cushioning is better on other models like the Trimp (?), but for anyone who comes to the Altras from hiking shoes or boots, you will feel like you are walking on air. I walk long days sometimes, and last year on the Mozárabe, I did a couple of over-40s. My feet never got that horrible achy “I want to cut these shoes off my feet” feeling.

I also need more arch support than the Altras give, so I insert my custom silicone orthotic, which also provides some cushioning. Can’t wait for Camino 2019! N

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Wow - that's great and lucky! Good sleuthing. I will start looking for some LP3s too. Not doing a camino this summer but doing some backpacking closer to home and in Alberta. I hope you have a fabulous trip Laurie!

I'm jealous of all of you who get to actually choose shoes based on so many features besides fit. Almost all shoes don't work for me because of my wide surfer feet. I had also been wearing the Lone Peaks and like them, but even those (in men's) aren't quite wide enough in the forefoot. All the other Altras are too tight. I'm headed out on the Portugues in a few weeks, and so needed a shoe with more cushioning for the cobblestones. Was happy to find that the Hola ATR comes in a men's wide which seems to work so far. I've heard some of the new Altras - like the Olympus? - that have more cushioning than the Lone Peak are on a wider last now, but I haven't tried them yet.

Hola = Hoka. That's the first time my phone corrected TO Spanish. Typing in Spanish is a pain, because my phone wants to "correct" to English. "Estoy buscando zumo de naranja" becomes "Estimate business sumo deadlift Naomi".

Sorry for the thread highjack.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, you guys have been lucky, or I have been unlucky. I found that my Lone Peaks had virtually no water resistance. In fact, walking through wet grass in the morning meant I had wet feet in a matter of minutes. Not a big deal, because I have decided that getting wet feet in shoes that dry quickly is preferable to my many years of goretex that didn’t really keep my feet dry either in any storm of consequence, and then I was stuck with a slow drying shoe.

Overall, this issue did not detract from my enthusiastic love of these wonderful shoes. :)

Do you wear gaiters?
Hi peregrina, i'm sorry you haven't had as much luck with your Altras - but so happy the love for them in still there! No, I've never worn gaiters.

Looking for some advice about the best type of socks to wear with Altra Lone's - just bought the 4.0. Read many threads about various socks but wondering if there are socks suitable for the Altras? Someone suggested wearing insoles but again, would these be suitable? Thanks for any advice on this.

Looking for some advice about the best type of socks to wear with Altra Lone's - just bought the 4.0. Read many threads about various socks but wondering if there are socks suitable for the Altras? Someone suggested wearing insoles but again, would these be suitable? Thanks for any advice on this.

I don’t think there is any special kind of sock that works best for the shoe, it all depends on what kind of sock makes your foot happy in the shoe. I bring a heavier pair and a lighter pair and change from heavier to lighter as the day goes on and my feet swell up a bit. And I wouldn’t take a step on any camino without my silicone insoles. They fit fine in my Lone Peaks, though I did have to get a bigger size so the orthotics would fit in.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@peregrina2000 thanks for that. Because of the wide toe box in the Altra's I was concerned about chaffing especially with insoles (Altra dont seem to do insoles). Maybe I'll just go for the socks or get the silicone ones a bigger size and tailor them....

I wear these with LP4's and have had no problems at all. Very comfortable in fact, so much so I am about to order some more from Decathlon. Forclaz is the 'in house' product by Decathlon.
I have found they wear and wash well....but of course, YMMV!

QUECHUA Mid-top mountain hiking socks. Forclaz 500 2 Pairs - Dark Blue

With regard to insoles with LP4, I'm still unsure about whether to try some out yet.

@peregrina2000 thanks for that. Because of the wide toe box in the Altra's I was concerned about chaffing especially with insoles (Altra dont seem to do insoles). Maybe I'll just go for the socks or get the silicone ones a bigger size and tailor them....

Can you amplify a bit on that concern?

I have recently become an Altra fanatic--wore the LonePeak 3.5 last fall on the CP, although I am not sure they are the right shoes for the endless Portuguese cobblestones. I also own a pair of Neoshell 3.O's--which I find stiff and fit a bit differently. They are somewhat waterproof (not the seams). Right now I'm very happy with a pair of Timps. Both the Timps and the Olympus have a much narrower midsole, but that doesn't seem to interfere with the fit. I use aftermarket insoles for all my Altras.
Older Altras appear and disappear somewhat randomly on the REI website at wildly fluctuating prices. I recently found a pair for around $50. I also bought a pair of LonePeak 3.5's on Amazon last year at a similar price. Stock up while you can!

Injinji toesocks are my go-to: thin ones for walking in and thicker ones for arvo/evening if it's a bit cooler. I wear the shortest possible, 'no-show'. As long as my shoes are tied firmly I have no problem with my shoes 'eating' my socks. They dry quickly too. I've worn the same pair for 4 caminos.

I wear these with LP4's and have had no problems at all. Very comfortable in fact, so much so I am about to order some more from Decathlon. Forclaz is the 'in house' product by Decathlon.
I have found they wear and wash well....but of course, YMMV!

QUECHUA Mid-top mountain hiking socks. Forclaz 500 2 Pairs - Dark Blue

With regard to insoles with LP4, I'm still unsure about whether to try some out yet.
Thank you! Have just ordered these. They look like what I have been looking for. Glad to have the recommendation .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.