• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tips for Planning Your Spring Camino Portugués Journey

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Spring can be wet... if you are hoping for the coastal "literal" be prepared to move to the central route. I had planned on the coastal in 2019 at the end of the season and was rained inland. There were actual weather advisories that told people to stay away from the coastal paths (high winds, massive waves, and driving rain).
I have no regrets.... the central route has more constant change of scenery, and, as it is more hospitable for major settlements, it has "more to see".
I am still hoping to walk the coastal at some point, but two weeks of water on my left might be more than I need, even as a person who grew up on the Pacific coast.
So: try to know your own limits before you go as well -- for "sameness", for cultural and landscape shifts, for rain, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there @Rocky88 and welcome to this forum. Both the coastal and the central are lovely, but different Caminos, for sure. The Coastal has history, with castles, churches, Roman bridges and Roman roads, but the draw is to walk upon glorious beaches at times, and lower body forgiving boardwalks. But I love the sea and loved this walk! I have walked in the spring and I had perfect weather, so you never know! But like @Faye Walker says, in the driving rain/wind, this would be brutal.

The Central is full of wonderful history, even more castles, and roman roads and lots of elevation changes, which makes for dramatic, but more difficult terrain. Valença is amazing, and the walk across the river into Spain and into Tui with the cathedral on the hill a superb sight!

If you have time, and wish to see even more of Portugal, the route from Lisbon is lonely, difficult but an experience you will not forget! If you want to see more info, for free, I'd love if you checked out my website, and the section on the Many Ways on the Camino Portugués, and you can see all the information to make up your own mind, which route is best for you! Happy planning!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Rocky88 - My wife and I are (hoping) to walk the Camino from Lisbon (Central Route) this coming Spring. I was reading the travel requirements on the US Portugese Embassy website, and it looks like the Portugese government has implmented some pretty sever restrictions/requirements due to the recent surge.

1. Vaccination Certification: EU Digital Vaccination Certificate or accepted vaccination certificate from another country (CDC cards may not be accepted)
2. For Hotels - Negative Test: Mandatory presentation of a negative PCR or antigen test (PCR 72 hours; antigen 48 hours) – regardless of vaccination status.
3. Testing– EU Digital Certificate for testing. A current negative COVID test result (PCR 72 hours; antigen 48 hours). Guests may only remain at the lodging for the duration of the validity of the test. If tests expire before the end of the stay, guests must continue to present negative tests to remain.
  • For example, a guest staying at a hotel for a week would require at least 3 PCR tests throughout their stay in order to remain at the hotel.
(Above is just a quick summary. Read all the requirements at)

Questions for the group.
1. I've tried to find information regarding Americans obtaining EU Digital Vaccination Certificate. But, the information isn't very specific.
A. Any help regarding this will be appreciated.
B. Is there experience in the CDC cards being denied?

2. There was a User living in Portugal that mentioned 3 Euro Over the Counter self test kits.
A. Are these readily available (even with the surge)?
B. Do restaraunts and Hotels accept these?
C. How long do these test take?

3. Does anybody have any information on how long Portugal plans on keeping these requirements in place?
A. Is it until the Surge is over or for a month or ....?

4. It doesn't seem the Spain has implmented this level of testing requirements? Is that correct?

I'd rather not have to change all my plans to do a Spanish Camino, but having to self test in front of the Lodging Check-in representative, and then have to self test in front of the Restaraunt waiter (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner) If they don't accept the CDC Vac), would be too much to deal with.

Please, I would rather this thread not turn into a Covid discussion), only rather the Portugal requirements.

Last edited:
If the new regs say, “EU Digital Certificate” than expect that to be adhered to (though there are exceptions for other digital certificates like the UK NHS one). A US CDC card lacks a scannable QR code, making it unacceptable. Even when it was allowed towards the end of 2021, we were denied entry into a Portuguese restaurant due to just having a CDC card.

As for over-the-counter tests, those are generally NOT accepted unless they have a video supervision component (the cheap ones do not).

In short, you will need to secure the EU Digutal cert and then retest before three days are up so you don’t have a gap in “test coverage” while awaiting your test results.

Imagine your situation if your tests are delayed or they come back positive! Portugal took this process very seriously when I was there a few months back prior to the Omicron surge, so I’d have to think their concern is even higher now. I’m sure it will eventually ease, but NO ONE can know when that will happen.

If the new regs say, “EU Digital Certificate” than expect that to be adhered to (though there are exceptions for other digital certificates like the UK NHS one). A US CDC card lacks a scannable QR code, making it unacceptable. Even when it was allowed towards the end of 2021, we were denied entry into a Portuguese restaurant due to just having a CDC card.

As for over-the-counter tests, those are generally NOT accepted unless they have a video supervision component (the cheap ones do not).

In short, you will need to secure the EU Digutal cert and then retest before three days are up so you don’t have a gap in “test coverage” while awaiting your test results.

Imagine your situation if your tests are delayed or they come back positive! Portugal took this process very seriously when I was there a few months back prior to the Omicron surge, so I’d have to think their concern is even higher now. I’m sure it will eventually ease, but NO ONE can know when that will happen.
Thanks Vacajoe - I just talked to one of the Hotels we had booked in Lisbon and you are correct. They won't accept the US CDC Vac card. and they won't accept the over-the-counter tests. I just can't see spending an additional 70 Euros every two/three days while walking from Lisbon through Portugal for my wife and I.

Are you aware of how as an American living in the States we would be able to secure an EU Digital Certification?

My other option is to change my entire plan to walk the Camino Del Norte.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Vacajoe - I just talked to one of the Hotels we had booked in Lisbon and you are correct. They won't accept the US CDC Vac card. and they won't accept the over-the-counter tests. I just can't see spending an additional 70 Euros every two/three days while walking from Lisbon through Portugal for my wife and I.

Are you aware of how as an American living in the States we would be able to secure an EU Digital Certification?

My other option is to change my entire plan to walk the Camino Del Norte.
Well cr@p! This may change my plans for my walk from Lisbon in April.
I have to believe though that some solution to this problem will come up before then. 🤞

Last year you could do it online and from the US, but that is no longer an option.

Currently in France, you present your CDC card (must have a booster!) a pharmacy, pay a small fee, and then they issue you one! Similar arrangements may exist in Portugal, but I’ll let someone with firsthand knowledge speak to that.

The regulations COULD change by the time of your trip, though. We traveled Sep-Dec in Europe/UK and experienced a rapid relaxation of the rules post-Delta and then the equally-rapid increase as Omicron appeared. These changes happened with very little notice.

2. There was a User living in Portugal that mentioned 3 Euro Over the Counter self test kits.
A. Are these readily available (even with the surge)?
Yes, they’re still readily available. Here you can see a photo taken at a supermarket in Lisbon today with dozens of them in stock.

C1CCF85D-9553-4E6B-B66D-98562FB75558.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, they’re still readily available. Here you can see a photo taken at a supermarket in Lisbon today with dozens of them in stock.
It sounds like those self tests might not be acceptable to stay in hotels/hostels/etc??

Thanks Vacajoe - I just talked to one of the Hotels we had booked in Lisbon and you are correct. They won't accept the US CDC Vac card. and they won't accept the over-the-counter tests. I

Those tests are mostly for your own piece of mind, though I have seen some theatres in the UK use them if you forgot your vaccination card! They almost never qualify as a real test when one is required.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the Visit Portugal website is says this:

III – GENERAL RULES

From 10th January

• Mandatory mask in closed spaces;
  • General recommendation for regular testing and mandatory teleworking until 14th January;
  • Reduction of capacity in commercial establishments (1 person /5m2)

• Mandatory EU Covid Digital Certificate in all modes or complete vaccination certificate or negative RT-PCR test or Rapid negative antigen test when accessing:
    - Tourist establishments and local accommodation;
    - Restaurants;
    - Cultural shows;
    - Events with reserved seats;
    - Gyms.

• Mandatory negative test or recovery certificate, except for those who have already been vaccinated with a booster dose of the vaccine for at least 14 days, when accessing:
    - Bars and clubs (from 14th January);
    - Big events;
    - Visits to care and nursing homes and health facilities.
------------------------------------------------------

So, it sounds like the CDC vaccine card should be accepted??

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.