• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tourist traps, expectations, and other petty annoyances

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I've returned from my camino and back into cyber-space to find some buzz here about crowds, bed races, disappointment, and about how the Camino being turned into a 'tourist trap'...
This may be stirring up a hornet's nest but here goes.

And so what if it does become a tourist trap?
I grew up in Hawai'i, the ultimate 'tourist trap'--and while paradise did get paved and turned into a parking lot, the heart is still there. Even though Waikiki is no longer a sleepy low-rise backwater and tourists arrive by the 747-full.

Same with the Camino. No, of course it's not the same as before...on the surface...but amid the crowds, lots of folks are having wonderful experiences. Right now. Even 'oldies' who knew it as it once was when there were almost no people. And certainly some folks who start as 'tourists' leave having received deep heart-gifts. It's more about attitude than about anything else.

So what are we wanting--and what are the attitudes and expectations that we bring to the journey?

Of course it'd be great to keep the Camino like it was before, but I hope we can find the generosity of spirit to share it with the world. No-one likes bed races and crowds. Naturally. But like it or not we're all in the same boat and all part of that crowd. Everyone, like us, wants to touch the magic that the Camino offers. And everyone is entitled to their share of that.
And right now the world needs that magic. Fortunately it's not far beneath the surface.

Meanwhile, there are many very empty caminos that offer ample opportunity to be alone, get lost, find solitude, and generally walk like we could in the 'good old days' (whenever that was--last year or 2 decades ago).

Buen Camino everyone...may we find a way to navigate through the pilgrim waves and to deeply connect with the magic and mystery that's (still and always) right there beneath our feet, crowds or no crowds--infinitely shareable!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No-one likes bed races and crowds. Naturally. But like it or not we're all in the same boat and all part of that crowd. Everyone, like us, wants to touch the magic that the Camino offers. And everyone is entitled to their share of that.
@Viranani it's great to have you back online, and you've made some excellent and refreshing points!

Thank you Claire. Frankly I'm surprised the post got so many likes. Obviously I'm not the only one who wonders about the grumbling.
And it's great to be back. Life's been too full to allow that for a while.
But now it's not...
And I can wonder out loud about where you ended up going to after Santiago. Hope the rest of your journey was a delight!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Meanwhile, there are many very empty caminos that offer ample opportunity to be alone, get lost, find solitude, and generally walk like we could in the 'good old days' (whenever that was--last year or 2 decades ago).
I agree. I would love to (and will one day) walk some other Camino routes. However I choose the Frances this year because of the crowds. It will be my first (ever) trip/walk alone. No kid(s) , friends etc will join me. So I welcome the fact that it's busy. ( did some pre bookings for beds which I did last year too and like it that way... It makes for me all more relaxed. ) I am just looking forward to "being in Spain" again, walking through the amazing scenery and having some "me time " .

I've returned from my camino and back into cyber-space to find some buzz here about crowds, bed races, disappointment, and about how the Camino being turned into a 'tourist trap'...

I grew up in Hawai'i, the ultimate 'tourist trap'--and while paradise did get paved and turned into a parking lot, the heart is still there. Even though Waikiki is no longer a sleepy low-rise backwater and tourists arrive by the 747-full.

Same with the Camino. No, of course it's not the same as before...on the surface...but amid the crowds, lots of folks are having wonderful experiences. Right now. Even 'oldies' who knew it as it once was when there were almost no people. And certainly some folks who start as 'tourists' leave having received deep heart-gifts. It's more about attitude than about anything else.

So what are we wanting--and what are the attitudes and expectations that we bring to the journey?

Of course it'd be great to keep the Camino like it was before, but I hope we can find the generosity of spirit to share it with the world. No-one likes bed races and crowds. Naturally. But like it or not we're all in the same boat and all part of that crowd. Everyone, like us, wants to touch the magic that the Camino offers. And everyone is entitled to their share of that.
And right now the world needs that magic. Fortunately it's not far beneath the surface.

Buen Camino everyone...may we find a way to navigate through the pilgrim waves and to deeply connect with the magic and mystery that's (still and always) right there beneath our feet, crowds or no crowds--infinitely shareable!
Heading back this September to finish the Portuguese Camino. Thank you for you words of encouragement.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Being someone who intentionally seeks out the paths less taken for the solitude that they provide, I was somewhat apprehensive about how I would cope with the Camino Francés last year. I was prepared for the busyness but the companionship of both pilgrims and locals along the Way was both a surprise and a delight. It was a totally different experience to our wilderness walks. It was also a gift to be able to help - and be helped by - our fellow walkers.

We were absorbed into and carried along by the flow of humanity with a single purpose and destination that was greater than the sum of us all. The magic that @Viranani describes, a United Nations on feet. Who are any of us to judge what the effect of such a journey will have on a so called 'tourist' or a dedicated pilgrim for that matter. Our Caminos continue on long after the walking stops.

And yes the world is busier and crowded and at times I am wistful and yearn for the quiet trails of old but we leave only footprints along the Way. Let's make them gentle and respectful ones.

Very well said and thank you. A kind heart and generous spirit goes a long way to living the experience.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Viranani - YES! I lived in Hawai'i for 19 years and know the Aloha spirit survives. I am experiencing the Camino Spirit everyday. For those of us experiencing this for the first time, it's just as good as the "good old days," because there are no old days for us.

I had the pleasure to met both @C clearly and @Viranani on two different occasions/caminos and can say that they are really as nice in real life as they are here on the forum! Buen Camino, SY
Haha. Thank you, but I am not sure that "nice" is the best description. I realize that English is only one of your several languages but I don't think of myself as particularly "nice." I think that @Viranani and I are both reasonable people, with opinions, willing to consider "whatever" presents itself, and very ready to enjoy ourselves. Hmm. .. that sounds good!

Furthermore, it sounds like @SYates .

Our camino meetings have been very happy! Thanks to @ivar and the forum! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had the pleasure to met both @C clearly and @Viranani on two different occasions/caminos and can say that they are really as nice in real life as they are here on the forum! Buen Camino, SY

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting C clearly, but I have had the pleasure of meeting Viranani, and I can only say that I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.

I know what you mean, I grew up in Florida and the tourist 'industry' there colored my view (in a negative way) of travel and tourism. But your thoughts above have convinced me (along with SYates posting on her philosophy) that I am only harming myself when I can't "let it go" and not allow myself to see others enjoying the wonders of the world through sympathetic (or maybe empathetic) eyes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Who are any of us to judge what the effect of such a journey will have on a so called 'tourist' or a dedicated pilgrim for that matter.
There are many "tourists" who started out as such, but when finally standing in front of the Cathedral, realize that by the end of their journey, the Camino has changed them and given them what they needed in life, or at least a new start. It is a good thing. The Camino provides for those who want/need to receive.

For those of us experiencing this for the first time, it's just as good as the "good old days," because there are no old days for us.
I am experiencing the Camino Spirit everyday.
Aloha, Seabird, Where are you now (I'm in Keokea)?
I like that--'Camino spirit'.

The magic that @Viranani describes, a United Nations on feet. Who are any of us to judge what the effect of such a journey will have on a so called 'tourist' or a dedicated pilgrim for that matter. Our Caminos continue on long after the walking stops.
And yes the world is busier and crowded and at times I am wistful and yearn for the quiet trails of old but we leave only footprints along the Way. Let's make them gentle and respectful ones.
Yes, very well put, Meri. One thing I'm noticing each time I return is that for a while I literally see everyone I meet as another pilgrim. The experience eventually fades, of course, but it's exactly that Aloha and Camino spirit that we can recall if we take a moment to remember.

Our camino meetings have been very happy! Thanks to @ivar and the forum! :)
So glad to have met you, Claire--and Deb and Sybille. It was one of the highlights of my Camino this year.
And I can attest that Claire, Deb, Sybille, and Carl are just the same in person as they are here--there was none of that weird dissonance that can come when you meet folks in the flesh and it turns out that they're really not as they seem online. All of you are so beautifully genuine. An honor to meet you all!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Today, while working on something entirely unrelated to the Camino, I was reminded of this and it seems entirely apt:

"The Road goes ever on and on
Out from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet."

Tolkein, of course...from The Lord of the Rings
Well, 'lighted inn' or perhaps the church porch? Whatever, there's lots of potential room in the heart even if the road gets a bit crowded!
Buen Camino and good rest, everyone!

Honestly, what bothered me was never people doing this differently than me. People taking cabs, people skipping parts, people sending their luggage ahead (and I did any one of those things one time, because I got sick or my boyfriend was injured. Didn't make any of us any worse, by the way). Seriously, I couldn't give a damn. It's their thing, if that's the experience they choose it's all up to them.

What DID bother me is the "holier than thou" approach, the people drawing graffitti on private or public property telling "tourigrinos" to go home. Judging (and I know it SO hard not to judge sometimes, and I struggled with it - but INSIDE my head), and spreading hatred where there was so much kindness. That bothers me very much.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well said Inbar. Me too. There's a bit of graffiti on the back of a road sign right before San Anton that says something like "The Way pilgrims go home..." This year I was fantasizing about how next time I'll bring one of those little containers of silver auto detailing paint to cover that message...well, I probably won't, but I hope someone does...

I couldn't care less about the movie and never saw it before walking and wouldn't call myself a tourigrino--so it's not a personal thing...but this kind of intolerance is SO not what the Camino is about. It does get me.

Very well spoken, I start my Camino May 25, and intend to make it my Camino, searching for my True Self and for the Benefit of all Beings.

Well said Inbar. Me too. There's a bit of graffiti on the back of a road sign right before San Anton that says something like "The Way pilgrims go home..." This year I was fantasizing about how next time I'll bring one of those little containers of silver auto detailing paint to cover that message...well, I probably won't, but I hope someone does..

We'll take care of this next weekend. Thanks for the heads-up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Rebekah! Saves me carrying the paint, and one less petty annoyance.
(Memory may be faulty but I remember it being on the back of a sign that's not far from San Anton, between there and where the path from Hontanas comes back to the road. On the Left-hand side of the road as you're facing San Anton.)

Most read last week in this forum

I am currently walking the Camino Frances with my parents and am enjoying every moment. I brought some euros with me and loaded money onto a cash passport as I thought this would be safe...
Is it possible to take a shower in the morning at an albergue if they run out of hot water in the evening?
I'm always a little apprehensive about posting anything approaching humour on this Forum, for fear of upsetting someone. But here goes . . . I heard this a few years ago, and it made me smile...
I’ve been in Le Puy en Valey less than 5 hours and have seen dozens of hikers with dogs.. I think it’s great but .. every book I read says it an “absolute NO” at any of the places to stay. Just...
Dumb as it might seem, it's only recently sunk in that a good deal of some camino routes might be on vehicular roads rather than walking trails. I don't really mean the town and village-y bit...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back