A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Traditional Masses

Hello, I am trying to plan my route for the Spring. However, I only want to attend the Tridentine Mass (or other pre-1962 masses) en route and on arrival. Can someone tell me of a good website which includes mass times? I'm finding it difficult to locate times etc in Santiago. I am walking the south route from Toledo via Orense.

Many Thanks

Rob

PS. I have read that the Mozarabic Rite was being said but has now also been protestantised (ie facing the people, in the vernacular etc etc )

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014)
How sad... Why would you plan on so limiting the richness of the Camino?

For me, the joy of the Way is the incredible opportunity to move out of my usual niche to experience diversity of experiences, people, ecclesial practice. A cradle Ronan Catholic, the mediation with the Protestants at their albergue in Villamayor des Montejardin is a treasured memory .

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.

There was a recent thread on masses along the Camino Francés but you are talking about part of the Sureste or Levante and the Sanabrés.

Here is a link to a website (in Spanish) with information on masses in Spain: http://www.misas.org/. This is what you will see at the top of the page (see below).
Fill in the localidad or town, the day and the time. I used this search to help out others find mass along the Francés.

What type of mass is practiced is entirely another question. Someone else will have to help you out with that aspect. Maybe @Rebekah Scott or @JohnnieWalker (currently walking the Plata) ?

Buscador de horarios de misa para España, en iglesias y demás templos donde se celebre la Eucaristía
Buscar misas en la localidad: para un día cualquiera todos laborable víspera festivo a la hora: -- 6h. 7h. 8h. 9h. 10h. 11h. 12h. 13h. 14h. 15h. 16h. 17h. 18h. 19h. 20h. 21h. 22h. 23h. [más opciones]

p.s. I see that the top of the page copied from the website looks different after posting.

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
Rob

I walked this route from Valencia in 2009. It was almost always possible to find a daily Mass in the evening. I don't remember any being Tridentine.

Andy

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Unless you are walking with a priest that celebrates in that tradition your chances will be very slim to zero to find a Tridentine Mass on the Camino in Spain, but would be slightly better in France. Best tip I have is to ask your own priest at home for, for you, relevant contacts in Spain. SY

Hello - thanks everyone. I know there are traditional masses in Toledo, Salamanca, Orense and Santiago:
http://latinmasses.ca/spain.htm
I myself used this site recently to attend mass in Barcelona, but there doesn't seem to be anything like the LMS that we have here in UK (all times and locations lovingly detailed). If necessary I will go to SSPX masses. Thanks for the help - a great shame about the Mozarabic Rite. It was one of the reasons I wanted to come to Toledo.

Rob

oursonpolaire

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
You can catch the Mozarabic rite at the basilica of Saint Isidore in Leon-- I believe twice a week. I missed it by a day when I was last in Leon. I would guess that it be in Castilian, not Latin, but I really have no idea-- I doubt if the priests at St Isidore think that it has been protestantized, but this may be a point of view issue where perspectives might differ. If you email the delegate for liturgy of the Diocese of Leon (luisgarciagutierrez@gmail.com), he can likely clue you in.

On the del Norte in 2011 I ran into a French pilgrim on the ferry to Santona who was greatly frustrated by the absence of Latin masses in Spain-- he had only found one along the whole del Norte, at a monastery where one of the older priests had said a Tridentine mass for him on request. This might be your best bet, aside from contacting the SSPX (http://tradicioncatolica.es/misas-tradicionales-en-latin-en-espana-y-portugal/) directly. From that site, it seems that the older rite is available in Oviedo for pilgrims on the Primitivo, and Salamanca, for those on the de la Plata.

You can catch the Mozarabic rite at the basilica of Saint Isidore in Leon-- I believe twice a week. I missed it by a day when I was last in Leon. I would guess that it be in Castilian, not Latin, but I really have no idea-- I doubt if the priests at St Isidore think that it has been protestantized, but this may be a point of view issue where perspectives might differ. If you email the delegate for liturgy of the Diocese of Leon (luisgarciagutierrez@gmail.com), he can likely clue you in.

On the del Norte in 2011 I ran into a French pilgrim on the ferry to Santona who was greatly frustrated by the absence of Latin masses in Spain-- he had only found one along the whole del Norte, at a monastery where one of the older priests had said a Tridentine mass for him on request. This might be your best bet, aside from contacting the SSPX (http://tradicioncatolica.es/misas-tradicionales-en-latin-en-espana-y-portugal/) directly. From that site, it seems that the older rite is available in Oviedo for pilgrims on the Primitivo, and Salamanca, for those on the de la Plata.
Many thanks for this - all good advice. For the Mozarabic I was only going with what it says here, which may be incorrect.

http://latinmasses.ca/spain.htm

Many Thanks

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
We attended a Tridentine Mass in Pamplona before we took the bus up to SJPP. As I recall the time of the Mass was around 10:00-10:30 in the morning. However, we happened to be there on August 15, the Feast of the Assumption, and I don't know if the Tridentine Mass was a special circumstance to celebrate the feast day, or if they do it everyday at that time.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Camino(s) past & future
Although Benedict XVI allowed traditional Trindentine Mas, finding is not an easy thing. The easiest way to get it is going to https://www.fsspx.es/es and ask Tel. [+34] 91 812 28 81. Some times some priests make the Camino de Santiago and can help you.

Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
Saying the Mozarabic Masses have been "protestantized" because of where the priest faces is an odd comment. The Mozarabic Mass back in the day, at least the consecration part, was almost invisible to anyone not up on the altar itself. Which way the priest faced was immaterial.
I've only been to two of these Masses, one at Salamanca cathedral, the other at San Miguel de Escalada, out in the wilds of Leon, for a once-a-year historical thing. They are interesting in a museum-artifact kind of way, and revelatory, too. I am sure God was present at both, and I know what I think doesn't matter a whit.
But my takeaway is: there are good reasons old liturgies pass away, and new ones are adopted!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%