• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel query - Biarritz

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
As our flight lands late afternoon in Biarritz can anyone please recommend somewhere nice and reasonable to stay overnight along with any restaurants ?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have stayed in Le Petit Hotel in Biarritz twice and found it excellent, not expensive, about 100 mts from the beach, loads of excellent restaurants nearby and the manager who speaks fluent English is very helpful. A short bus or taxi ride to Bayonne train station.
Le Petit Hotel Biarritz
11 Rue Gardères
64200 Biarritz
France
+33 5 59 24 87 00
http://www.petithotel-biarritz.com/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you are visiting in May that is off season, so rooms of all prices will be easy to find. I won't assume your budget but getting from the airport and all around Biarritz and Bayonne by bus is very easy so you will find have lots of choices of restaurants and hotels. Lots of pilgrims stay in Bayonne near the train station to save steps to catch the morning train, there are plenty of places to dine in Bayonne as well, especially along the Nive River. You will find some of the best tapas bars around the marche in Biarritz, that's where I find myself most days.

I have stayed in Le Petit Hotel in Biarritz twice and found it excellent, not expensive, about 100 mts from the beach, loads of excellent restaurants nearby and the manager who speaks fluent English is very helpful. A short bus or taxi ride to Bayonne train station.
Le Petit Hotel Biarritz
11 Rue Gardères
64200 Biarritz
France
+33 5 59 24 87 00

I stayed there several times before moving to Biarritz, it's a good choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Le Petit Hotel Biarritz
11 Rue Gardères
64200 Biarritz
France
+33 5 59 24 87 00

Thank you very much for this suggestion - looks good. I will confer with my fellow traveling pilgrims.

Recommended restaurants:
Bar Jean, Cafe Jean and Bar du Marche (because the owners are good friends of mine)
Tantina de Burgos (great wood grilled steaks and seafood)
La Plancha on Ilbarritz (wonderful beach side terrace with great seafood and sunsets)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Recommended restaurants:
Bar Jean, Cafe Jean and Bar du Marche (because the owners are good friends of mine)
Tantina de Burgos (great wood grilled steaks and seafood)
La Plancha on Ilbarritz (wonderful beach side terrace with great seafood and sunsets)
These all sound great - thank you.

As our flight lands late afternoon in Biarritz can anyone please recommend somewhere nice and reasonable to stay overnight along with any restaurants ?

I would not stay in Biarritz since it's only an hour away and the pilgrims office is open late (10PM I think). This bus to Gare Bayonne is really easy to find. Apologies - not exactly the answer to the question you asked but I can't see why you would want to stay in Biarritz?

Sergio

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would not stay in Biarritz since it's only an hour away and the pilgrims office is open late (10PM I think). This bus to Gare Bayonne is really easy to find. Apologies - not exactly the answer to the question you asked but I can't see why you would want to stay in Biarritz?

Sergio
We biarrots do have our detractors. Don't we!

I can't see why you would want to stay in Biarritz?Sergio
Because it is an absolutely delightful place to spend a night or two, or ten, or live, like biarritzdon, how lucky is he?
Our forum friend Wayfarer recommended "Le Petit Hotel" to me and I also can assure you it is great accommodation.
To get to the hotel in the city centre, down at the beach, it costs one euro in the bus from the Biarritz airport or train station, and, golly gee, another one euro to get across to the train station in Bayonne. From there our lovely little rattle train takes us up the Rive river valley to St Jean, well half way there, at the moment.

Biarritz? Wouldn't miss it for quids. It's like the start of the Camino Frances for me.

Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
why you would want to stay in Biarritz?

Sergio
Because who wouldn't want to spend more time on the Basque coast, and hence delay the sad day when the camino crosses into La Rioja! :)

That said, while I love Biaritz, I'd lean toward St Jean de Luz (apologies to our Biarritz friend). But you can't really go wrong with either one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back