• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Using the app to get Compostela

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
We walking from Burgos to Santiago. At Ponferrada we leave the Frances and pick up the Invierno. The app makes me pick a Camino. If I pick Invierno I can’t put Burgos as my starting point. Comments/ideas?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We walking from Burgos to Santiago. At Ponferrada we leave the Frances and pick up the Invierno. The app makes me pick a Camino. If I pick Invierno I can’t put Burgos as my starting point. Comments/ideas?
Put Frances and explain when you get there if a distance certificate is important to you. Either route from that starting point is sufficient for a compostela, providing you meet the other requirements.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I assumed the OP is referring to the pre-registration form in which one sets out the basic details for the pilgrim office to issue a compostela. It then delivers a QR code which when scanned in Santiago pre-populates the data and speeds up the process. I’m sure that, this weekend, it’s a welcome innovation. On a rainy Tuesday in March it seemed to be a solution in search of a problem.

Or is it the digital credential app that the Cathedral introduced a couple of years ago which seems to no longer be available?

The name of the app that has been developed on behalf of the Cathedral of Santiago is called: Credencial del Peregrino / Catedral de Santiago.

There are links to both app versions, ie to the AppStore and to the Google site for Android on their website (https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-credencial/) but the two links don't work. I checked the AppStore and I don't see the app there. I did download it ages ago. I am not sure whether it has disappeared altogether or whether this is yet again a geoblocking issue due to the fact that I am not in Spain.

Sorry!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The "official" digital credential, developed some years back by the Pilgrim Office, never did catch on. I do not think it is being supported anymore.

In view of this, I strongly recommend that ALL pilgrims use sellos / stamps in a paper credencial to document their journey to Santiago, regardless of the actual route taken.

Many pilgrims start on the Frances, then cut to the Invierno to avoid the Sarria section. It is a day or two longer, but really pretty.

The office staff is used to seeing this detour / variation in credentials. Just point it out when you arrive. Essentially, you walked the Camino Frances, but via the Invierno at Ponferrada.

Apps, like the Wise apps, will provide excellent coverage for both the Camino Frances, from your starting point to Ponferrada, and the Invierno app from Ponferrada to Santiago.

Personally, I would use two apps on my iPhone, and one paper credencial to plan, and then document my Camino along the OPs planned route.

It will all sort out.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Could someone please post the link to getting the QR code needed to queue for the Compastela? TIA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Helpful hint: "Create a Group" is equivalent to "Submit". It wasn't intuitive to me, but I stumbled upon it when there was nothing else obvious (to me)!
Very little is intuitive about the online registration process! It would be nice if they properly translated the items in the drop down menus.

Or is it the digital credential app that the Cathedral introduced a couple of years ago which seems to no longer be available?
Fwiw - and, really, for what it is worth, I am not expressing an opinion about the thing and besides, it is not clear to which ”app” the OP refers - here’s an update about my own copy of the Cathedral’s digital credential app.

1. I can’t find the app in the AppStore but this could be due to a geolocation block issue.

2. While updating another app I noticed my copy of the digital credential that I had once downloaded. It appears to be fully active. I could reset my password and look at various options. To activate it for a new Camino it wants me to pay yet another €1.50. While I am often willing to pay such small amounts for our common good and our improved level of common knowledge, I said no thank you to further exploration and testing in this case. But it is obviously still there and alive. :cool:

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I suppose the first post refers to the online registration process.

To apply for a Compostela in the given context, one picks Camino Invierno with Ponferrada C. Inv. as starting point. For the Compostela, it does not matter that the pilgrim started in Burgos.

We don’t know on the forum yet how this is handled if the pilgrim wants a distance certificate for Burgos-Santiago in addition to the Compostela. Perhaps @crhutch can let us know when he has arrived at the desk of the Pilgrim Office? It would be helpful to know for many other pilgrims in similar situations.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.