A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Vadiniese in late August....

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés 2012
Camino Francés 2013
SdC-Finisterre-Muxía-SdC 2013
I've been reading with interest this thread and having lived in Burgos over the past couple of years am familiar with Northern Spain (now I'm living in Madrid). I am planning to walk this camino in August this year, 20th - 27th. I'm an experienced hill and mountain walker, so am not worried about the terrain, but was wondering whether I'll be walking alone or with others? Also, I was planning on taking a lightweight hammock for sleeping out a couple of nights, i.e. not in the private hotels, and a couple of nights in albergues. Any tips and even a walking companion would be gratefully received.

Buen camino!

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Catalan, Aragones, part of Frances, Ruta del Salavador, Primitivo, and Finisterre (2012);
Cammino San Pellegrino, Italy (2013);
Lebaniego, Vadiniense, and Invierno (July 2014)
Wish we could walk with you... We're starting on the Lebaniego and Vadiniense at the end of this week.

I've learned a lot about the route from reading Paul Sheehan's and Laurie's postings here, and of course from Rebekah's guide.

Buen camino.

Dan

Camino(s) past & future
Walked el Camino Frances in 2003. Did the Primitivo in August 13 and Ruta lebaniega in July 14. Summer 2016 - Camino del Salvador.
One day: Ruta de la Plata into the Sanabres, maybe part of the Norte, and perhaps the Olvidado.
Wish we could walk with you... We're starting on the Lebaniego and Vadiniense at the end of this week.

I've learned a lot about the route from reading Paul Sheehan's and Laurie's postings here, and of course from Rebekah's guide.

Buen camino.

Dan
Hi Dan,
How is it going on the Vladiniense? I am thinking of doing it in a week or two. Do you meet anyone along the way or is it 'empty'. Regards, Andrew

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances & Finisterre (2012); Ruta del Ebro (Tortosa to Sastago) (2014); Camino del Norte (Santander - Serdio) (2014); Camino Liebana & Camino Vadiniense (2014); Camino San Salvador (2015); Camino Olvidado (Sodupe - Reinosa) (2015); Camino del Norte (Irun - Deba & Serdio - Llanes) (2015)
I've just finished the first stage of the Vad after following the Liebana from Serdio. The Liebana was lovely but I struggled yesterday up to Espinama, not sure whether to continue along the Vad or head into the Picos on the Ruta de la Reconquista as I have to head back to England next Friday. See my post on the Vad thread.

I'm taking a rest day in Espinama. Anyone coming this way tomorrow?

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Catalan, Aragones, part of Frances, Ruta del Salavador, Primitivo, and Finisterre (2012);
We just arrived in Potes after finishing the Lebaniego, will be starting the Vad tomorrow to Espinama or Fuente De.

Advertisment

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
I've just finished the first stage of the Vad after following the Liebana from Serdio. The Liebana was lovely but I struggled yesterday up to Espinama, not sure whether to continue along the Vad or head into the Picos on the Ruta de la Reconquista as I have to head back to England next Friday. See my post on the Vad thread.

I'm taking a rest day in Espinama. Anyone coming this way tomorrow?
From where you are in Espinama, you are "heading into the Picos" whichever route you choose.
If you are tired and/or lonesome now, the Reconquista route will kick you to the curb. It is pure mountain, not so very waymarked, and solitary at the best of times.
This time of year you are likely to meet at least a few hikers along the Vad, if not fellow pilgrims. I have not done the entire Reconquista, but only rather hardcore mountaineers tend to choose that route, and in groups.
Be careful up there!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances & Finisterre (2012); Ruta del Ebro (Tortosa to Sastago) (2014); Camino del Norte (Santander - Serdio) (2014); Camino Liebana & Camino Vadiniense (2014); Camino San Salvador (2015); Camino Olvidado (Sodupe - Reinosa) (2015); Camino del Norte (Irun - Deba & Serdio - Llanes) (2015)
I stuck with the Vad! Espinama to Portilla de la Reina was fenomenal!

Camino(s) past & future
You are so fortunate, Ramblanista. We walked that stage yesterday in rough weather. Drizzle on and off all the way up from Fuente De, totally socked in with clouds until things started to break up at Puerto de Pandetrave. But today a beautiful stage down to Riano, with just enough clouds to keep the pavement from being too hot.
Dan

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
What a pity! That's gotta be one of the most spectacular days of camino walking ever! You shall have to come back and do it again!

Camino(s) past & future
What a pity! That's gotta be one of the most spectacular days of camino walking ever! You shall have to come back and do it again!
And we shall...
We had some beautiful mountain weather in the days before while following the Lebaniego and walking from Potes, so no complaints.
BTW, we've been following your guidebook and it's great. Thanks!
Dan

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
J Camino Vadiniense 13

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.6%
  • June