• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Vancouver,BC to Madrid

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Are there any Canadian Northwesterners out there who might have some suggestions for flights from Victoria/Vancouver,BC to Madrid? Have been on line….argghh it's a jungle out there. Plan to take bus or train to Pamplona and will be picked up there for an overnight stay, then on to St. Jean via their car.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
KLM via Amsterdam from Vancouver to Madrid is probably the best option.

Once in Madrid you can take a bus to Pamplona.

After the camino you can return from Santiago to Madrid via train.

Are there any Canadian Northwesterners out there who might have some suggestions for flights from Victoria/Vancouver,BC to Madrid? Have been on line….argghh it's a jungle out there. Plan to take bus or train to Pamplona and will be picked up there for an overnight stay, then on to St. Jean via their car.

From my experience, it's better to fly out of Vancouver to Paris, via Air Canada, with a short layover in Montreal. Flight arrives in Paris in the morning, with enough time to take the (#4 Bus ?) to the main railway station to take the (fast) train to St Jean. I've done it twice, starting in the morning by catching the first ferry to Campbell River, then from the local airport to Vancouver with a short delay before the Air Canada connection. I haven't yet checked out the new Air France flights, but the Air Canada flight to Paris, then the train was the quickest way in the shortest time to get to St Jean in all one go before bunking in for a nights sleep and then walking up to Orrison (spelling ?) first thing in the morning to get a bed for the party there that night.. If you would like to directly contact me, email me your phone number to vceowkxzod@mailinator.com.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

From my experience, it's better to fly out of Vancouver to Paris, via Air Canada, with a short layover in Montreal. Flight arrives in Paris in the morning, with enough time to take the (#4 Bus ?) to the main railway station to take the (fast) train to St Jean. I've done it twice, starting in the morning by catching the first ferry to Campbell River, then from the local airport to Vancouver with a short delay before the Air Canada connection. I haven't yet checked out the new Air France flights, but the Air Canada flight to Paris, then the train was the quickest way in the shortest time to get to St Jean in all one go before bunking in for a nights sleep and then walking up to Orrison (spelling ?) first thing in the morning to get a bed for the party there that night.. If you would like to directly contact me, email me your phone number to vceowkxzod@mailinator.com.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found that Air France has some good connections, and plan to use them in October.

WestJet: Vancouver-Toronto
Air France: Leave Toronto at 6:35 pm, arrive Paris (CDG) at 8:00 a.m.
Shuttle bus from CDG to Orly airport (seems relatively straightforward)
Air France: Leave Orly at 11:15 a.m. (or 12:45 pm if you want more time); arrive Biarritz at 12:30 pm (or 2:00 pm if you take the later flight)
Then an hour by taxi to SJPP

You can fly home from Madrid, also by Air France.

When are you going?

Hi Maggie

I'm flying Vancouver to Madrid in June with British Airways. The times suited me as well as the transfer at Heathrow looked easy (no need to change airport!).

buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found that Air France has some good connections, and plan to use them in October.

WestJet: Vancouver-Toronto
Air France: Leave Toronto at 6:35 pm, arrive Paris (CDG) at 8:00 a.m.
Shuttle bus from CDG to Orly airport (seems relatively straightforward)
Air France: Leave Orly at 11:15 a.m. (or 12:45 pm if you want more time); arrive Biarritz at 12:30 pm (or 2:00 pm if you take the later flight)
Then an hour by taxi to SJPP

You can fly home from Madrid, also by Air France.

When are you going?

Great; another good option. I tried kayak for comp prices. That's when the confusion began. I'm going Sept/Oct. Thanks so much.

Air France has a direct flight from Vancouver to Paris and has some great prices at the moment. I added a flight from Paris to Bordeaux and then return to Vancouver from Paris for less than $900.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've been to Spain 3 times. Each time I flew from YVR to London. I then flew with a discount airline to my destination.

There are discount airlines that connect London to all of Europe. Easy Jet and Ryan Air provide service to cities close to the camino, including Madrid, Biarritz (the closest airport to SJPdP) and Santiago. One way flights can be had for prices that are very cheap by Canada standards.

The downside of travelling to London is that customs and security are a time consuming nuisance, London is expensive, and transport between airports is time consuming.

The upside is London uses English which is nice when you are too tired to think due to jet lag, its outside Schengen so doesn't count to time in Spain, and because it is well connected travel from there is flexible.

Thanks for taking the time to help. With the several suggestions, I've decided on British Airways direct from Vancouver to Heathrow / Heathrow to Madrid. Very straightforward, best selection of times and reasonably priced. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Air France has a direct flight from Vancouver to Paris and has some great prices at the moment. I added a flight from Paris to Bordeaux and then return to Vancouver from Paris for less than $900.

I've been checking too, but when you have to make a connecting flight to Vancouver first, then Air Canada is still more than competitive so far for a September booking. Air France pricing is out to lunch for connecting to Biarritz, but with Air Canada, I'm still on my own to make it to Bayonne and beyond to Irun either by local flights or rail. The best thing about Air France is that it might just keep Air Canada as competitive.

I found an excellent flight option out of Edmonton, AB (YEG) to Madrid. 1st leg with Air Canada to Toronto and second leg straight to Madrid with Lufthansa. Return all with Lufthansa we go through Munich and then Vancouver before getting to Edmonton. All in $600 $Cad for Sep-15.

I used Kayak to scout options using the Flexible Days option, and then booked with Expedia.

Hi Maggie, we also live in Victoria! I see that you have found a good deal but for anyone else considering routes I'll throw another option into the mix. We did a portion of the Camino Frances in 2013 and are returning in August this year to walk Burgos to Santiago and then to the coast. On both occasions we have flown Air Canada; Victoria to Toronto, Toronto to Madrid and the same in reverse to come home. There is a bus at the Madrid airport that will take you to Pamplona (we then bussed to St. Jean). This time we will get the bus from the airport to
Burgos. This option eliminates any of the major European hubs, seemed to be one of the shortest overall travel times, and allowed for relatively fast and inexpensive travel from Madrid onward. Whatever you choose, some rewarding travel lies ahead. Been Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thats sounds like very straightforward flight as well and excellent comment about not having to deal with major European hubs, but Heathrow is not bad; been that way before to other parts of Europe. I had already made the arrangements in Pamplona with the Pension' owner and am looking forward to the stay with them. They will drive me to St. Jean. Yes, I know there are many rewards to be experienced. It's a significant birthday this year, so looking at it as a walk through my life and counting my many blessings. I hope to arrive at the Santiago de Compostela cathedral on the day of my birthday. Thanks for your comments.

Hi Maggie,
I decided on Vancouver to Heathrow to Madrid as well. Nice and straight forward. Once in Madrid I plan on spending the night then bussing to Pamplona. From there I hope to get a bus to St Jean.
I leave May 11. So excited and a wee bit nervous! :)
Have a safe Camino!

You will be fine; it's that 'nervousness' that keeps us alive and alert (says she who is embarking on her first Camino:>)
I do wish you well…..

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great; another good option. I tried kayak for comp prices. That's when the confusion began. I'm going Sept/Oct. Thanks so much.
I find the airline websites offer very good prices and connections...
if you fly into Biarritz, take a short train or bus to sjpdp, as taxi ride can be expensive.

Thanks for the bus info; my plans had already been made with folks in Pamplona, but always good to have this info.
Appreciate it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for this info; I may need this service if my arrival times don't work out. I've made note.

Are there any Canadian Northwesterners out there who might have some suggestions for flights from Victoria/Vancouver,BC to Madrid? Have been on line….argghh it's a jungle out there.
We're flying from Victoria (YYJ) to Madrid with Delta. It was not only the same price as from Vancouver (YVR) but much more convenient for us. We used SkyScanner to keep an eye on flight prices an bought when the price was low.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We're flying from Victoria (YYJ) to Madrid with Delta. It was not only the same price as from Vancouver (YVR) but much more convenient for us. We used SkyScanner to keep an eye on flight prices an bought when the price was low.
Hi J and thanks for your post. I'm quite happy with what I found. I leave Victoria, BC Sept 21st. British Airways Vancouver/Heathrow, Heathrow/Madrid. I will spend a night in Madrid in a pension, then then the owners drive to St. Jean. Have a night in St. Jean because I'm purchasing my poles and poncho there. Should be on the trail by Sept 25/26, then all of October and a couple of days in Nov. Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.