Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

VF maps to maps.me

kmccue

Past OR future Camino
Im a fan of using offline maps on maps me...but I can't figure out or remember, how I move them from the VF app to the maps me app. Can anyone help?

When you walk the Camino, and suddenly a pandemic appears
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019

andycohn

Past OR future Camino
CF (12-15); Muxia (15); Portuguese, Primitivo (17); Norte, Ingles, VF partial (18), Le Puy (19)
Im a fan of using offline maps on maps me...but I can't figure out or remember, how I move them from the VF app to the maps me app. Can anyone help?
HI kmcue, I'm not super tech savvy, but I did it, so you can, too. First, download the files from the VF app onto your phone. They will be in gpx format so you won't be able to open them (right away) with maps.me. Next, find a site that will convert gpx files to kml files. I used GPX2KML.com (There's lots of such sites / apps, and maybe someone else knows a better one). From their website, it was easy to convert each of the individual gpx files into kml files. Once they are in kml files, you just open the individual file and they'll either pop up right away on maps.me or your phone will ask you how you want to open the file, and you'll choose maps.me.

A bit tedious, but easy to do.

To save you even that hassle, I'll try and send you a personal message with the converted kml files attached.

Past OR future Camino
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
download the files from the VF app onto your phone. They will be in gpx format so you won't be able to open them (right away) with maps.me
There is an app similar to Maps.me called OSMand that works with files in the GPX format (but not for ones in the KML or KMZ formats). It is more complicated to use with more features. You may want to give it a try, you may prefer it. I have both apps, and others, downloaded. This allows me to read files in the formats mentioned without having to do file conversation. I prefer OSMand but mainly because I prefer the internal format of GPX filed that I find easier to tweak with text editors (yes, they really are text files; change a copy of a KML/GPX file to have a TXT suffix instead and look around).

Edit: I originally mentioned that KMZ files could be edited with a text editor too. They cannot.

Last edited:

kiwiDavid

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2012 - SJPP-Finisterre
Hi kmccue - Check out the previous post 'Placing the VF GPS route onto Offline maps with Maps.me' - you can use the KMZ files from the post 'VF KMZ files for Google Earth' (only worked when I downloaded files leg by leg - not the whole route in 1 file) - all kudos to Melanie & Michael of 'Melanie & Michael Go Walking' fame -link here - https://memismsblogs.com/maps-me. I know a lot of people know how to do this stuff in 100 different ways but I didn't know until I saw that link. Also I was keen for a good offline map and Maps.me suited the bill - it shows quite small trails and water points etc. Anyway - good luck & Buen Camino.

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Past OR future Camino
Past? Not enough.
Future? Sure!
There is an app similar to Maps.me called OSMand that works with files in the GPX format (but not for ones in the KML or KMZ formats). It is more complicated to use with more features. You may want to give it a try, you may prefer it. I have both apps, and others, downloaded. This allows me to read files in the formats mentioned without having to do file conversation. I prefer OSMand but mainly because I prefer the internal format of GPX filed that I find easier to tweak with text editors (yes, they really are text files; change a copy of a KML/GPX file to have a TXT suffix instead and look around).

Edit: I originally mentioned that KMZ files could be edited with a text editor too. They cannot.
Hi Rick,
KMZ are zipped KML files.
You can unzip them and edit as text.
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads