• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via Francigena Insights

Time of past OR future Camino
We just finished the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. There were many surprises, both good and bad. The good was the path was well mark and we were never close to being lost. The bad was the accommodations. I used different lists from the forum and other sources and they are terribly out of date. We called ahead each day because we were in Italy during a very high holiday period - Easter, Libert Day and National Labour Day. The Italians love the Via Francigena and were walking for 2-3 days, and some for a week, and they walk in both directions. We are just winding down in Amalfi and when we get back to Canada I will try to add more to this post for your information plus try to update some of the out of date information. In the mean, if you have a question, I would be pleased to try and answer it for you.

Cheers,
Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We just finished the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. There were many surprises, both good and bad. The good was the path was well mark and we were never close to being lost. The bad was the accommodations. I used different lists from the forum and other sources and they are terribly out of date. We called ahead each day because we were in Italy during a very high holiday period - Easter, Libert Day and National Labour Day. The Italians love the Via Francigena and were walking for 2-3 days, and some for a week, and they walk in both directions. We are just winding down in Amalfi and when we get back to Canada I will try to add more to this post for your information plus try to update some of the out of date information. In the mean, if you have a question, I would be pleased to try and answer it for you.

Cheers,
Bill
The elenco ospitalità on the EAVF website is updated every year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are in Bolsena. We have experienced the same thing. We will be in La Storta on 5/11 and are having trouble finding a place to stay. Where did you end up.
We stayed at a convent called Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore at Via cassia, 1826. It’s right on the Via Francigena. It’s really more of a hotel run by nuns. The cost is 50 euros for a double which includes breakfast. You can send an email to info@casanostrasignora.it or call them at +39 (0)630890863.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Cheers,
Bill
that will be very much appreciated by all the future vf pilgrims, thank you!
we can only rely on the information we get from the web, so I always have a plan B for when the accommodation I was planning to stay in is no longer operating/full/has changed contact details...

The elenco ospitalità on the EAVF website is updated every year.
yes, they are constantly adding new possibilites (just this year at least 10 more options south of lucca). but then you have to really fish around their site for some accommodation (like the abbazia in aulla). and I am not sure about some of them - eg. casa alpina sacro cuore in etroubles which is (again) on the list but reports from pilgrims for the past three years indicate that they don't accept pilgrims anymore.

Last edited:
yes, they are constantly adding new possibilites (just this year at least 10 more options south of lucca). but then you have to really fish around their site for some accommodation (like the abbazia in aulla). and I am not sure about some of them - eg. casa alpina sacro cuore which is (again) on the list but reports from pilgrims for the past three years indicate that they don't accept pilgrims anymore.
you're certainly right about the Casa Alpina Sacro Cuore. And the Carmelites in Sutri. But I found it absolutely invaluable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations on the successful completion of your Camino. Thank you for sharing this information -- it is very valuable! My husband and I plan to walk from Lucca to Rome beginning June 1 this year. When calling accommodations ahead of time were you able to use English? What was the average cost of your accommodations per night? I greatly appreciate your help.

Cheers,
Bill
Hi Bill
Congrats !! I am so looking forwardt to it. How many days did it take you ? Mary here from Canada LOL.... anyhow I will be starting the Via F in Lucca on May 24th although I leave for Italy in 3 days time. Now I am worried as have lists, am traveling solo and was really hoping the accommodations are not going to be more than 25 euro per night. Any lists you have that are fairly up to date I would grately appreciate.
Many thanks
M

Last edited:
Congratulations on your camino.
My partner and I are planning on walking the same section from Lucca to Rome next year at this time. We used a luggage transfer service for part of the Portuguese carmino last year. Did you see any of these services advertised on your journey from Lucca to Rome?
Bon Camino.
Stew

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi

Congrats on completing your Camino!

I am in Bolsena now and sadly sprained or broke my ankle today.

I loved the Via Francigena and we never had a problem finding accommodation. We used the attached list.

In my opinion it is easier to find accommodation on the Via F now then on the CF.

I also think the accommodation is cleaner, more practical etc.

Speaking a bit of Italian is quite important.

My only bad experience was in penzione Italia in Bolsena. It is depressing and the 2 old ladies are not kind (well the complete opposite). They increased the rate far more then advertised and in the end offered up to 50% discount when they saw I was going to leave. When I didnt stay the lady shouted abuse until I left the building.

I will return next year to finish the last few stages.

If anyone happens to be driving from Bolsena to Rome tomorrow or Monday, I would really appreciate a lift and will obviously pay....

🐚

Hi

Congrats on completing your Camino!

I loved the Via Francigena and we never had a problem finding accommodation. We used the attached list.

In my opinion it is easier to find accommodation on the Via F now then on the CF.

I also think the accommodation is cleaner, more practical etc.

Speaking a bit of Italian is quite important.

My only bad experience was in penzione Italia in Bolsena. It is depressing and the 2 old ladies are not kind (well the complete opposite). They increased the rate far more then advertised and in the end offered up to 50% discount when they saw I was going to leave. When I didnt stay the lady shouted abuse until I left the building.

I will return next year to finish the last few stages.

If anyone happens to be driving from Bolsena to Rome tomorrow or Monday, I would really appreciate a lift and will obviously pay....

🐚
Did you attach the list?

Thanks!

🐚
Hi Ell, many commiserations on the ankle issue, that must be devastating for you, perhaps you'll make it back to continue the walk one day in the future.
My wife and I are planning our Francigena walk from Aosta, starting in September. You mentioned in your post an attached list of accommodation, I couldn't see one attached, would you be in a position in the next few weeks to repost with the list, I'm sure it will be a great help.
All the best
Ross

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry to hear - take good care ! Elevate as much as possible and ice it....
Please post attachment as cannot see it - thank you and all the very best.
Mary

Hi

I hope the list is attached now.

Unfortunately I can’t take credit for the amazing list and I am so sorry for not being able credit the right person.

Thank you for your lovely words. I was / am extremely disappointed not being able to finish - so close to the end. Especially now that I am so fit.

Another reason to do the VF is the delicious food!

Buen camino!

Attachments

• accommodation FRANCIGENA IT.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 183
We stayed at a convent called Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore at Via cassia, 1826. It’s right on the Via Francigena. It’s really more of a hotel run by nuns. The cost is 50 euros for a double which includes breakfast. You can send an email to info@casanostrasignora.it or call them at +39 (0)630890863.
Hi,
I stayed there too in 2016, very nice and welcoming nuns..the evening meal was also very nice and home made..maybe I paid a little extra ..I was there in May too and they could lend you a hairdryer too.
😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Congratulations on the successful completion of your Camino. Thank you for sharing this information -- it is very valuable! My husband and I plan to walk from Lucca to Rome beginning June 1 this year. When calling accommodations ahead of time were you able to use English? What was the average cost of your accommodations per night? I greatly appreciate your help.
About 50% of the time you will need Italian, and the other 50% you will need some Italian. When we had problems understanding people on the phone, we would try to find someone to help - someone at our pilgrim facility, or the hotel front desk, or at a restaurant. Basic words for reserving over the phone you should have are reservation (prenotare), today (oggi), tomorrow (domani), two people (due persona). We have done the camino Frances and the camino Portuguese and the accommodations for the ia Francigena are different. The pilgrim style accommodations are usually your own room, not a shared room with bunk beds. Sometimes with a shared bathroom, sometimes your own bathroom. We only stayed in a Spanish style albergue/hostel once in Monteriggioni at the church. Therefore, the prices are higher, we paid anything from donation to 75 euros a night, depending on what was available. In Tuscany I found this website viafrancigenatoscana.org which is basic , volunteer run accommodations but usually have your own room.
Also of note, I only used my sleeping bag once and if was had asked, they did provide blankets on request.

Hi Bill
Congrats !! I am so looking forwardt to it. How many days did it take you ? Mary here from Canada LOL.... anyhow I will be starting the Via F in Lucca on May 24th although I leave for Italy in 3 days time. Now I am worried as have lists, am traveling solo and was really hoping the accommodations are not going to be more than 25 euro per night. Any lists you have that are fairly up to date I would grately appreciate.
Many thanks
M
Try viafrancigentoscana.org for cheaper accommodations. Also Google european-association-of-vie-francigene-eavf/ - the trouble with this site is it does not have an address and trying to ask directions over the phone with my limited Italian was dreadful.

My partner and I are planning on walking the same section from Lucca to Rome next year at this time. We used a luggage transfer service for part of the Portuguese carmino last year. Did you see any of these services advertised on your journey from Lucca to Rome?
Bon Camino.
Stew
Yes we saw this service but I don't remember the name - the cost for the one we saw was 15 euros per bag per day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Try viafrancigentoscana.org for cheaper accommodations. Also Google european-association-of-vie-francigene-eavf/ - the trouble with this site is it does not have an address and trying to ask directions over the phone with my limited Italian was dreadful.
Thank you very much for this... GREAT sites. Not sure if you are back in CA or where you are from but the weather here in ON has been raining every second day for a month !!! Can't wait to board my flight later today !

Bon Camino.
Stew
There’s one baggage transport company I found. Bags Free. www.bags-free.com/en/
They’re expensive. 15 euros per bag per transport. I haven’t used them, but other people have mentioned them on this forum.

Also, after walking a part of the Francigena in December, I put together a mini-guide / resource sheet for our local Camino group. It includes a lot of the links mentioned above, and covers stuff like accomodations, transport within Italy, weather, credential / testimonium, guidebooks, apps — all the nitty-gritty stuff that I could think of that would be helpful in planning. I’ve attached it. Hope it’s useful.

Attachments

• vfresources.pdf
    215.7 KB · Views: 96
There’s one baggage transport company I found. Bags Free. www.bags-free.com/en/
They’re expensive. 15 euros per bag per transport. I haven’t used them, but other people have mentioned them on this forum.

Also, after walking a part of the Francigena in December, I put together a mini-guide / resource sheet for our local Camino group. It includes a lot of the links mentioned above, and covers stuff like accomodations, transport within Italy, weather, credential / testimonium, guidebooks, apps — all the nitty-gritty stuff that I could think of that would be helpful in planning. I’ve attached it. Hope it’s useful.

Thanks, Andy - This resource is awesome!! My husband and I begin our pilgrimage on the VF (Lucca to Rome) this June 1. Your list is very timely and very much appreciated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Th
Hi

Unfortunately I can’t take credit for the amazing list and I am so sorry for not being able credit the right person.

Thank you for your lovely words. I was / am extremely disappointed not being able to finish - so close to the end. Especially now that I am so fit.

Buen camino!
Thanks Ell, that's amazing.

Hi

Buen camino!
I am so sorry to hear about your ankle. I don't know what I would do, probably throw myself into the lake or something.
this right credited person will update the list before she leaves for vf in june. a couple of new stays have popped up on the vf web site. stay tuned... :) she also appreaciates any updates till then.

anyone knows of any current bloggers on the vf? I'm quite unable to find any and I know people are walking right now.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
that's cool, I'll be behind and happy to get first-hand tips. :)

I found this blog cited on a fb site I'm currently reading: https://therandoneurds.wordpress.com/2019/04/.
Thank you! That site is awesome. Now, if the internet gods (and time and energy) are with me, I'll be blogging live from the trail too. If not, I'll blog immediately upon our return home.

Thank you! That site is awesome. Now, if the internet gods (and time and energy) are with me, I'll be blogging live from the trail too. If not, I'll blog immediately upon our return home.
Depending on where you stay, the internet gods will abandon you. We were gone a month so my wife and I bought a SIM card for a month - cost was 30 euros each and included 15GB data and 200 minutes talk time, but no texting. This was with TIM and in most places, service was excellent and I was able to post daily updates to Instagram. We had poor reception in two towns and therefore would try Vodafone next time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
anyone knows of any current bloggers on the vf? I'm quite unable to find any and I know people are walking right now.
I dont have a FB account but I did create an Intagram acount to post pictues and comments. I found it way faster than uploading to Wordpress. There are a few groups you can follow like #viafrancigena, #walkingtheviafrancigena - these both have very current activity.

We walked Lucca to Rome last October. We used Booking.com and had no problems staying in any town. Half the nights were in agriturismos and B and Bs the other half.

Depending on where you stay, the internet gods will abandon you. We were gone a month so my wife and I bought a SIM card for a month - cost was 30 euros each and included 15GB data and 200 minutes talk time, but no texting. This was with TIM and in most places, service was excellent and I was able to post daily updates to Instagram. We had poor reception in two towns and therefore would try Vodafone next time.
Great information! Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I downloaded the path and all my hotel locations on maps.me. It works great offline.
Hi, my wife and I are walking from Aosta, leaving in September. We plan on using Maps.me as our main mapping tool. We've already downloaded the various maps for the parts of Italy we will walk through and expect no issues there.
Your quote about downloading your path had me wondering if we'd missed something, is there a way to load a GPX path onto maps.me?
Thanks
Ross

Hi, my wife and I are walking from Aosta, leaving in September. We plan on using Maps.me as our main mapping tool. We've already downloaded the various maps for the parts of Italy we will walk through and expect no issues there.
Your quote about downloading your path had me wondering if we'd missed something, is there a way to load a GPX path onto maps.me?
Thanks
Ross
GPX opens automatically in maps.me on my iPhone

Thanks
Ross
We used the Sloway app to keep us on the path, and also the Via Francigena app because it had a few alternate paths that were helpful, plus it has some accommodation and restaurant information. You can download each segment so you need a network connection - saves a lot of smartphone battery. Once we were in a town, we put the address or hotel name in google maps.

I downloaded the path and all my hotel locations on maps.me. It works great offline.
Good idea but we didn’t prebook any accommodations from home. At our age, we wanted the flexibility to take a rest day when needed, or skip a section like the one before Radicafoni - it rained the day before and the day of that section at we thought the river crossings would be a little treacherous, which we heard they were.

We used the Sloway app to keep us on the path, and also the Via Francigena app because it had a few alternate paths that were helpful, plus it has some accommodation and restaurant information. You can download each segment so you need a network connection - saves a lot of smartphone battery. Once we were in a town, we put the address or hotel name in google maps.
I just did some research into maps.me and it looks like the all encompassing way to go. If you are not tech savvy, Sloways and the Via Francigena apps are easy but not all encompassing.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
that will be very much appreciated by all the future vf pilgrims, thank you!
we can only rely on the information we get from the web, so I always have a plan B for when the accommodation I was planning to stay in is no longer operating/full/has changed contact details...
I have gone through all my lists that I took to Italy, and narrowed it down to the Pilgrimstorome.org.uk list as being out of date, and I have had it confirmed that it is being updated as we speak. Unfortunately, the person doing the updates is only up to Switzerland so it will take awhile. When it is complete, I am sure it will be a great resource. In the meantime, the following are up to date and recommended:\

- viafrancigenatoscana.org has only pilgrim style accommodations but these are Italian style in that they have the option of a private room with double beds versus bunk beds, some facilities have a shared bathroom, some have their own. Unfortunately, this list is just the Tuscany section.
- viefrancigene.org website has a pdf form with accommodations. The accommodations include both pilgrim/peregrino style and hotels. All seem to be on the Via Francigena route or not far off.
- "Via Francigena in Italy" pdf posted by Caminka above is also a very worthwhile list including pilgrim as well as hotel options.

I have gone through all my lists that I took to Italy, and narrowed it down to the Pilgrimstorome.org.uk list as being out of date, and I have had it confirmed that it is being updated as we speak. Unfortunately, the person doing the updates is only up to Switzerland so it will take awhile. When it is complete, I am sure it will be a great resource. In the meantime, the following are up to date and recommended:\

- viafrancigenatoscana.org has only pilgrim style accommodations but these are Italian style in that they have the option of a private room with double beds versus bunk beds, some facilities have a shared bathroom, some have their own. Unfortunately, this list is just the Tuscany section.
- viefrancigene.org website has a pdf form with accommodations. The accommodations include both pilgrim/peregrino style and hotels. All seem to be on the Via Francigena route or not far off.
- "Via Francigena in Italy" pdf posted by Caminka above is also a very worthwhile list including pilgrim as well as hotel options.
thank you for the links.

the tuscan link has a few options I've not come across before. I stayed in Le Missioni in Sarzana in 2012 but I don't know of pilgrims staying there since. Casetta dei Pellegrini in Galleno would be a welcome addition if Altopascio fills up. Monasterio di Bose only takes in guests for several days (according to their site), but maybe pilgrims are exceptions? La Sosta in Strove has been reported closed; maybe it has reopened? both options in San Quirico d'Orcia are not by donation anymore, according to the official vf site.

some of the options from the official vf site are a bit off route, but very few - and they do not all appear on their maps which is quite confusing. one ostello is super confusing (ostello in lusignana, which has no listed phone number, only an email address, and I'm still not sure of its exact location; the picture at the site with ostello details is of a town gate in filetto).

Kiaora Caminka,

Not yet, but not too far away. Susie and I will start from Fidenza at the end of June walking through to Rome. We will have a blog running as we go in Wordpress. Imagine Walking.

Nga mihi,

Mal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thank you for the links.

the tuscan link has a few options I've not come across before. I stayed in Le Missioni in Sarzana in 2012 but I don't know of pilgrims staying there since. Casetta dei Pellegrini in Galleno would be a welcome addition if Altopascio fills up. Monasterio di Bose only takes in guests for several days (according to their site), but maybe pilgrims are exceptions? La Sosta in Strove has been reported closed; maybe it has reopened? both options in San Quirico d'Orcia are not by donation anymore, according to the official vf site.

some of the options from the official vf site are a bit off route, but very few - and they do not all appear on their maps which is quite confusing. one ostello is super confusing (ostello in lusignana, which has no listed phone number, only an email address, and I'm still not sure of its exact location; the picture at the site with ostello details is of a town gate in filetto).
Thanks for the updates Caminka🤗.

Kiaora Caminka,

Not yet, but not too far away. Susie and I will start from Fidenza at the end of June walking through to Rome. We will have a blog running as we go in Wordpress. Imagine Walking.

Nga mihi,

Mal.
very cool! will look forward to reading it. and buen camino!

any very recent updates on the bridge when one descends from passo della cisa all the way to the bottom of the valley, across torrente civasola? the last village on the descent is groppoli, the one on the climb on the other side previdé.
I've been there in 2012 and it was a wobbling plank which I didn't dare to cross in the torrential rain. I've seen in one blog from 2016 that it was four steel cables. dare I hope it's a proper bridge now?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have just come down from the pass today. If you are not fussy, there is a marked cycle track ( VF Sud) which takes you out at Pontremoli. It’s 15 miles and I can give you the GPS track if you want.

Sitting in Lucca now. Beautiful place.

I have just come down from the pass today. If you are not fussy, there is a marked cycle track ( VF Sud) which takes you out at Pontremoli. It’s 15 miles and I can give you the GPS track if you want.

I'm not fussy :). I would really like to cross and not miss the beautiful lanes on the other side, like I did the first time (plus I plan to sleep in previdé). I have plan B on minor roads if the rain decides to come down hard again. this I did in 2012 but would really like to avoid the tarmac this time. the bike track follows minor roads, I presume?

I take it you didn't cross that bridge/whatever it is now? thanks for the offer, though.

As I am travelling by bike I am using safe tarmac roads with next to no traffic. The route takes you through all the small villages. It is single track and the views are breathtaking. I know Tuscany well but the green hills are just beautiful- even in the rain.

We’re I to do it again I’d miss out the bit from Ivrea to Fornovo and start in Berceto.

Did you wave to me as you zoomed past? I'm in Pietrasanta. Do you have a photo from the Pass? This was my view last Sunday...
20190526_115538-1305x979.jpg20190526_120723-979x1305.jpg

Here’s mine so you can see the difference

Attachments

• 5B932B15-0EB4-4EE3-B057-FDD717628460.jpeg
    5B932B15-0EB4-4EE3-B057-FDD717628460.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 01944FE4-45EC-4E7A-8CAA-E364CF252334.jpeg
    01944FE4-45EC-4E7A-8CAA-E364CF252334.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
Here’s mine so you can see the difference
Oh my...blue & green everywhere! Thanks. All I saw was white. I had no idea if there were mountains or drop-offs.
Glad to see my Aussie flag I 'planted' on Sunday is still there.
(Oops...did I just say that out loud? Defacing public signage...tsk, tsk...) 😇
👣 🌏

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190531-221837_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190531-221837_Chrome.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 10

Cheers,
Bill
How far is it from Lucca to Rome? also, I would like to do this route by cycle. Is the route accessible by cycle?

It’s about 26es and is very accessible by cycle. I am doomedoing it now

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Don’t know what happened to my reply. Probably as I using a phone .

I will do a longer piece of the 260 miles when I have completed along with GPS tracks so readers check the height profiles . Biggest issue so far is wate.

the official vf site has put ostello di lusignana on the map. it's in Posponte di Lusignana which is way up from the VF, on Via de Volto Santo. not really handy for VF pilgrims.

I am currently on the VF. I began in Lucca on June 1 and am now in Siena. I have been blogging each day and have included accommodation details in each of my posts. You can view them at: www.retirementreflections.com. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

€60,-
Aosta's tourist office, very friendly, sells the official terre di mezzo guidebook in italian for €18, and english and french ones for €20.

Last edited:
I am currently on the VF. I began in Lucca on June 1 and am now in Siena. I have been blogging each day and have included accommodation details in each of my posts. You can view them at: www.retirementreflections.com. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.
I went to your site. Great reflections that brought back memories. We also took some of the same pictures https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/camino-photos/albums/via-francigena-lucca-to-roma.355/

Thank you for checking out my site. I’m off to visit yours now!

Apparently the Casa del pellegrino at st Gilles church in Verres doesn't operate anymore. Info from two pilgrims who actualy reserved yesterday.
Dinner in ostello Il Casello in Verres only consists of first and second course and salad. Everything else, incl. water, is extra. It was an unpleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Casa in Verres is under renovation, so will probably be closed for a while.

Excellent ostello in Pont saint Martin (Schigliatta). Super clean, terrace, super friendly and helpful hospitalera.

Ostello in Ivrea is signposted as it's quite off VF. Excellent kitchen. Good supermarket 5min away.

If you arrive in ostello in Cavaglia on a Sunday, fetch the key from the Infermeria in Via Vercellone 37. From ostello turn left, round the corner and follow the road for about 300m.

Ostello Steiva in Piverone is open. New phone numbers are 339 721 9024 and 393 246 9941.

Last edited:
Hi Caminka, The Verres casa under renovation that you mention, is that the one listed as Il Casello BnB, Via Della Stazione, 79 or the one at Collegiata di Saint Gillies?
I have it in my bookmarks for our upcoming Camino.
Also, on the excellent ostello in Pont St Martin, the official guide has one at Schigliatta 4 and one at Schigliatta 1, the description I have for the ostello at number 4 is of a "stunning and modern youth hostel" I'm guessing you mean that one?.
Thanks for the tip offs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The ostello in Verres in renovation is the Collegiata. There is also a good B&B La Betula in Verres, about half-way between two ostellos. 347 335 9813, €20-25.

If returning key to infermeria in Cavaglia, you don't need to backtrack. Keep on to the next street going left, Via Macalle. At the end at a canal and a field go left and soon join VF.

There os only one ostello in Schigliatta, at no. 1.

Ostello in San Germano Vercellese has 5 beds, fridge, microwave and washing machine. €12 with credencial, breakfast €3. Call when you get there and someone will soon come with the key.

Excellent ostello in Vercelli, Hospitale sancti Eusebi in the old centre. Kitchen, washing and drying machine. Vercelli merits a longer viewing. In Museo Borgogna are two paintings with saints with pilgrim badges.

Last edited:
Ostello in Schigliatta I have at no. 1, but it's definitely stunning and modern. It's on the VF at the start of Via Schigliatta. The entrance is left of the bar and left of a big glass door. There are VF panels along the wall.
A big supermarket is about 5min back on VF.

Sorry for all the typos. I'm writing from my phone which is a challenge in itself.

Last edited:
Ostello in Schigliatta I have at no. 1, but it's definitely stunning snd modern. It's on the VF at the start of Vua Schigliatta. The entrance is left of the bar and left of a big glass door. There are VF panels along the wall.
A big supermarket is about 5min back on VF.

Sorry for all the typos. I'm writing from my phone which is a challenge in itself.
Thanks for the updates :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ostello Grangia Benedettina in Orio-Litta is closed. Stay in Corte sant'Andrea 4km on, beautiful ostello.
When you come to Orio-Litta, the red-white waymarks point right on Via Roma, but brown signposts lead via ostello. At that crossroad you are facing grangia, a long brick building. At its bottom is a fountain.
There is only macelleria with basic food in Orio-Litta, no fresh food, but bread. It's on the main road towards the train station.
At the exit of Orio-Litta you come to its end town board. Ignore the brown signpost pointing straight on the road - it's a detour via Senna Lodigiana. Turn right to a gravel road, later fork left to a shaded track, at the end climb to the bank and turn left to Corte sant'Andrea.
Ostello is behind the church. There is also a fountain past the ostello. It has a stove, fridge and fairly stocked cupboards with food.

Last edited:
After Miradolo Terme VF crosses a main road then a railway, and immediately turns left to a dirt track. Pass a shed away right then a grove. Track is here grassy. At the end of the grove you see a lone tree ahead. Don't go there. Turn right on a grassy track, left in front of a canal then cross this canal. Turn left before a fence and cross about half of a meadow afterwards. The track bends right to trees then left towards a tower in the distance. Follow this track to houses and turn right.

Last edited:
After Nicorvo VF brings you to a farmhouse complex in the middle of paddies. This is Cascina Afficiati. Cross the gravel road leading to it for a grassy track past the life side of the cascina. Follow the canal to the first bridge, cross it and go straight on a grassy track. Keep straight on this track all the way to a gravel road.

Last edited:

€60,-
To avoid the detour via Madonna delle Bozzole (Santuario as the locals call it) between Tromello and Garlasco. Leaving Tromello you cross the railway and turn right. Pass a farm, turn right to a dirt track and cross a canal. Keep straight to a bigger canal, turn right before it, then follow it to a bridge. The waymarks here point only across the bridge for the detour. Instead, turn right, after trees veer left and a street leads into Garlasco. The street is again waymarked.

Last edited:
Nice ostello in Santa Cristina e Bissone is to left of the church. It has a/c, stove and fridge.
Pilgrim menu for €10 in a restaurant-pizzeria at a park about 200m towards Pavia.

Last edited:
Only two drinking fonts between Pavia and Santa Cristina e Bissone.
After Belgioioso you cross a long village, Torre de Negri. At the end is a water tower. About 20m left is a little park with a drinking font.
You come into Costa de Nobili to a T crossroad facing a cemetery. There are water and a toilet (no paper) just inside the entrance.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ostello santa Maria in Betlem in Pavia (right from the covered bridge) has coupons for a pilgrim menu in a nearby restaurant for €10. Ask.

Last edited:
The route into Piacenza was the most unpleasant so far. When you cross river Trebbia the waymark makes you stay on the right sode of the main road. There are more facilities there, but at one point you need to cross over to the left side because all forms of sideroads/sidewalks disappear. I saw only one faded waymark on the whole 4km. After you pass the long military complex, you come to a roundabout with a tree-lined street on the left. Turn left into this street, Via XXI Aprile. Before the next roundabout turn right and soon reach church santa Maria di Campagna. Waymarks reappear.

Last edited:
Yesterday two pilgrims crossed the river Po by boat at 11am. So, if there are more of you, you may be able to persuade Danilo for a ride different then the usual 8h30.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good news on Orio-Litta.

Leaving Piacenza you come to a Conad superstore. There are two waymarked routes from there. One along the main road you have been followong till there. This passes parrocchia san Lazzaro (you can see the church from Conad) where you pick up the key for ostello in Montale. The other route meanders between appartment blocks away from the main road. If you come that way to the ostello, a nearby bar has keys as well. They also have pre-prepared meals to heat in a microwave provided by the ostello (there's also a stove). Ostello is in a medieval building that was possibly a pilgrim hospital in the middle ages already.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Now that I've walked the whole Po plain, I would suggest to those who wish to skip part of it, that the part I would skip is from Pavia to Fidenza. VF till Pavia is very well done on dirt/grassy tracks away from roads but parallel to the highway (and therefore the original route). It gives you a nice feeling of rice paddies (and mosquitoes). VF after Pavia is mainly on minor roads and sometimes I wondered if we really had to make such a big detour to avoid the highwaay (which was no fun walking on around Piacenza). You do miss the Po crossing this way.

Last edited:
I would suggest to those who wish to skip part of it, that the part I would slip is from Pavoa to Fidenza.

Have to agree with you. Up to Pavia, it is mosquito alley. On the upside I have never seen so many heron, egrets and other waders so far inland as they took advantage of the bountiful supply of flying food.

After Pavia, not so interesting until Fidenza when you start to climb again.

Really recommend Comunita di Betania in Cella (or rather, above Cella). Quiet, friendly, good dinner (and lunch, if you arrive by 12h30).

Beautiful, knowledgable and friendly ostello in Sivizzano, possibly another medieval pilgrim hospital. Use of kitchen €3. Except on Mondays, there's good pizza in the village bar which you can take-away and save the coperto. Stock on food in Fornovo, the supermarket is open Sunday morning. Rather special shower.

Casa della gioventu parrochiale in Berceto is closed at the moment, due to the priest being in the hospital.

Ostello del Seminario in Berceto is a bit on the way out of town, a huge building to the right of VF. €15, lunch or dinner €10. Dorms come with private bathrooms. Stock on food for the next day.

Casa di Maria della Pace in Scorcetoli (5km after Pontremoli) is being refurbished and is closed.

Ostello Camina in Canale (shortly after Scorcetoli) is closed.

B&B La Verrucoletta in La Virgoletta is closed.

In Filetto there is B&B Luna & Stelle. 3 rooms, 339 622 2592.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For a castle experience, sleep in Ostello Piagnaro in Pontremoli's medieval castle.

Very nice Casa parrochiale in Caniparola, about 1km off route but signposted. Microwave, kettle, fridge and a large supermarket nearby. Terrace.

Beautiful Ostello Palazzo Nizza in Massa in an old palace. Kitchen. Opens late but they sms you entry code. Room 101 had bedbugs.

Small one-room ostello in Pietrasanta. Beautiful town. Buses to the beach two per hour.

Excellent ostello in Valpromaro, run by volunteers.

Some reported problems getting in touch with Misericordia in Lucca, but it's open.

Simple but nice Ostello san Nicolao in Lucca near Porta san Gervasio and Protasio. 10 beds, small oven, kettle, fridge and a terrace.

Ostello in Altopascio has unfortunately big problems with bedbugs despite fumigations.

Small 5-bed ostello in quiet Galleno, with kitchen.

Excellent Ospedale del pellegrino run by volunteers in San Miniato Alto. Or rather, under the town. When you get past Palazzo Comunale (two magnificent medieval frescoed rooms inside), look for a brick arch on the right, leading to Sdrucciolo Gargozzi. Steeply descend to a right bend at a modern house and turn left. It's in a beautiful old house and is being fitted with a swimming pool right now.

Last edited:
Beautiful ostello Sigerico at pieve santa Maria about 1km before Gambassi Terme. Very good dinner with local dishes. €12 bed, €10 dinner. You can see San Gimignano from the garden.

Beside the thermae, there are also free natural thermal pools in Gambassi. Ask the locals.

Excellent ospitale san Iacomo in San Gimignano, in the old centre behind san Agostino. 10 beds, dinner, breakfast and the ritual of feet washing. Donativo.

Ospitale san Giacomo in Abbadia Isola now charges €15 with credencial and €8 for dinner and breakfast. It is the house on the right as you pass under the entrance arch.

Ostello Ava dei Lombardi is right around the corner in the arcaded courtyard.

Last edited:
Beautiful ostello Casa delle Balie just for pilgrims is right in the centre of Siena, off Piazza Duomo. Check-in at the tourist office on the piazza or at the ostello in the evening. €18 plus tourist tax. Air conditioning, washer and dryer, small terrace, shower €0.50. You can stay several nights.

Accoglienza santa Luisa is closed at the moment. I've been told this has happened in the past as well and it will probably reopen but noone knows when.

Monastero san Clemente dei Servi at the southern tip of old centre is open.

There is a restaurant that offers a pilgrim menu for €10 - one course, drink and coffee plus 10% discount on other dishes. Babazuf on VF as it runs South from Piazza del Campo on Via Pantaneto.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.