• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Warning about Cruz de Fierro Albergue in Foncebadon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfmarotto

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (09/2016)
Frances & Portugues (06/2019)
I wish I had read the reviews before deciding to stay here, and want to share this now because I'm horrified at this experience - it doesn't at all encapsulate the spirit of the Camino, and as a woman, I did not feel safe here. I want other woman to be aware :(

The man who works there (I presume the owner) yelled at me really intensely on two occasions, and grabbed my arm. What instigated this? With my little Spanish, I could understand at 21:15 at night that he wanted to turn the lights off in the common area. I tried to ask him if I could still sit there, even with the lights off and keep speaking to my dad on the phone. He started raising his voice at me, and I could only understand that he was suddenly yelling "no es su casa!" - I kept calmly telling him I didn't understand overall, and tried to ask the clarifying questions I knew how to say in Spanish (like, can I sit here? is it okay if I talk to my dad here? do I need to move?). His rage got so strong so fast (within 20sec) that that another pilgrim ran out to see if everything was okay and looked at me shocked (the owner could not see this other pilgrim from where he was).

Worse, he yelled even louder at me the next morning when I tried to approach him to make peace, telling him that I barely speak Spanish and couldn't understand what he was saying the night before. Not only did he start to really yell at me, but he got in my face and grabbed my arm, to which I said "DON'T TOUCH ME!" strongly in English, and he took a step back. Not 20 seconds later, he reached out to my arm again, and again, I said strongly, "DON'T TOUCH ME". As for what was said, I again and again, was telling him that I didn't understand ("no comprendo"), and the only thing I understood from the exchange was that he was very upset I brought pizza from the pizzeria in to eat for dinner... turns out they have a "no outside food" rule - however, when speaking with the other pilgrims who stayed there that night, I learned that not one of us had ever been informed of that, nor were aware. Not only that, but as I ate my pizza the night before, the man walked by me multiple times and never said a word, nor any nonverbal indication that he had a problem with it. However, this man seemed to be so upset about this particular part, that he even grabbed the pizza box from the trash and wagged it in my face.

I was terrified in this situation in the morning, and shocked - I very quickly backed out of the hostel as he yelled out the door at me and I walked away. Not only did I feel unsafe here, but this man has no business working in hospitality. I have walked the Camino four times now, and have never experienced something like this. I've also traveled for years on end, and have never seen someone who works with tourists behave so aggressively like that. Yes, I'm in Spain, and yes, English isn't the language, but I was clearly trying to communicate with him in Spanish, and didn't understand. Rather than be understanding of that, or offer to use Google Translate, this man quite literally flew off the handle.

(On smaller side notes... multiple other pilgrims and I all agreed that we were very underwhelmed by the "welcome" we got from the woman who checked us in. We all felt more like an inconvenience in her day than anything else. We all also agreed that it felt like a rip off to pay 20 EUR for a bunk bed the night, and if you wanted to do laundry, pay 11 EUR(!!) more... this place truly felt the opposite of so much of what the Camino is supposed to be.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, that seems like it sucked at lot for you. Really sorry to hear this and hope your next albergues will be better.

But it is also interesting to read for me. I stayed there 2019. It cost something like 6-8€. I remember the bathrooms being not to clean and the pricing quite creative. Like the thicker blankets did cost extra and the dryer did cost like 5€ (which was a lot compared to other albergues at this time). On the other hand, the people having dinner in the albergue got quite the deal, with a huge portion of spaghetti bolognese and half a bottle of wine for 5€. And we had a nice fire burning for the evening while we played cards. Also the sleeping stalls were quite nice in 2019, i guess thats not that special anymore today.

It seems things have changed since then. 20€ for a bed for the night sounds a lot. Even last year i never paid more than 15€. And the behaviour of the guy is in no way acceptable. No idea, maybe the albergue changed hands during covid or whatever the reason things are so different now from what i experienced.

I had a mainly good experience there in 2017. It was very cold outside the night I stayed there, and despite the fact it was summer, the heating was turned on. Felt so good when we arrived after being in the cold for hours, and the price was a normal "private albergue price" if I remember correctly. I was on a budget so would have remembered extreme prices.

We were allowed to use the kitchen and cooked some delicious pasta. Hospitalero was friendly.

One minor issue (that can happen anywhere), but overall a pleasant stay.

Regarding the "No food/drink from outside" rule and extra fee for heating, laundry ect.:

Times are difficult, costs have exploded for everything, and owners of small businesses have to find ways to survive. That probably puts a lot of stress on them.

So, changes in the business model are understandable. In the last years, it seems to have become more common for private commercial albergues to push pilgrims towards a "half board" service, and to make a bit more money by having them pay for dinner/breakfast, too, and not only for the bed. That there's a charge for additional services (blankets, heating) makes sense for a private business and is not an entirely new concept. But, it should be obvious if there are additional fees or rules - like a price list and "no food from outside" sign at the reception.

Using the washing machine / dryer has been 5€ each in some places for years, by the way, and energy prices have gone up since then.

That's just to give an idea about "strange" pricing/certain albergue rules.

But I don't want to excuse the rude / violent behaviour in any way. Grabbing someone's arm repeatedly and yelling is totally unacceptable! Hidden fees are also not okay.

There are normally complaint forms ("hojas de reclamaciones") available in spanish businesses like bars / cafés. Maybe that also exists for albergues? Then you could complain formally.

(I'd personally prefer that approach over posting negative reviews all over the internet).

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I can't trace the name right now, but when we walked to Foncebadon, we found a fairly new albergue on the left hand side of the road - 2006, so history!
My memory is of a guy in charge who offered an evening meal. Shoe/boot shelves on the way up to the sleeping area. Yes, somewhere in cyberspace, my photo!
What do I most recall? The hens ruled the roost. It was their space. On the way out, heading onward, the rural nature was just such a blessing. A guy was forking hay up into an attic space, as since forever. We pass this way but once.

We stayed here two months ago when I got a message from the place we stayed in Astorga that they found some of my gear which I had forgotten. The owner of the albergue was very helpfull in arranging all the necessary to have my things back. He arranged a taxi for me and kept a warm and nice meal for me upon my return.
I experience a nice and helpfull man, but maybe speaking a bit Spanish helped?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dear mfmaroto
my sincere best wishes to you after your unpleasant experience, which was also physically abusive and should be reported to the police on AlertCops (if you have the app), or at your next stop. No one should have to experience such aggressive behaviour - regardless of any language barriers or wherever you may be!
Unfortunately, having posted about an aggressive incident at an Albergue last year (Camino Norte - Santander), which I and a female pilgrim experienced, I was troubled by a number of responses on this Forum from fellow members who seemed to find excuses for the culprit, argued there are always two or three sides to a situation or told me to move on and get over it.
YOU experienced this. You felt threatened and abused. You did the right thing to write the posts to warn others. Ignore any posts that seem to ignore or devalue your feelings and always do as you seem right based upon your experiences. I am still awaiting a response from a member who promised to look into my complaint about the incident and individual I posted about.
I have the uppermost respect for the Spanish Police and 112 AlertCops. They respond quickly and appropriately to complaints of such abuses. They will listen. Let them judge and decide what should be done.
Good luck and don't be discouraged. Find a Camino Buddy or group, take a day or two's rest further along to recover your peace of mind.
Ultreia et Suseia

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There are three sides to every story and only one side is presented here. But nothing new..

I occasionally work with DV (domestic violence) cases with a charity. Had one this week where both parties came to us. People take sides without fully knowing the background.

Here one of the parties has made comments without, it appears, the chance for the other party to respond.

Without commenting on this particular case, the mods may with to consider if allowing comments on someone that might be personally identifiable in a GDPR sense, should continue without the other party being able to respond as they can with the other social media sites mentioned.

I have the uppermost respect for the Spanish Police and 112 AlertCops. They respond quickly and appropriately to complaints of such abuses. They will listen. Let them judge and decide what should be done.
Here one of the parties has made comments without, it appears, the chance for the other party to respond.

Indeed, nothing new.. allow the accused the opportunity to respond to the accuser's allegations before having their business slated all over the internet, as in this case.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I wish I had read the reviews before deciding to stay here, and want to share this now because I'm horrified at this experience - it doesn't at all encapsulate the spirit of the Camino, and as a woman, I did not feel safe here. I want other woman to be aware :(

The man who works there (I presume the owner) yelled at me really intensely on two occasions, and grabbed my arm. What instigated this? With my little Spanish, I could understand at 21:15 at night that he wanted to turn the lights off in the common area. I tried to ask him if I could still sit there, even with the lights off and keep speaking to my dad on the phone. He started raising his voice at me, and I could only understand that he was suddenly yelling "no es su casa!" - I kept calmly telling him I didn't understand overall, and tried to ask the clarifying questions I knew how to say in Spanish (like, can I sit here? is it okay if I talk to my dad here? do I need to move?). His rage got so strong so fast (within 20sec) that that another pilgrim ran out to see if everything was okay and looked at me shocked (the owner could not see this other pilgrim from where he was).

Worse, he yelled even louder at me the next morning when I tried to approach him to make peace, telling him that I barely speak Spanish and couldn't understand what he was saying the night before. Not only did he start to really yell at me, but he got in my face and grabbed my arm, to which I said "DON'T TOUCH ME!" strongly in English, and he took a step back. Not 20 seconds later, he reached out to my arm again, and again, I said strongly, "DON'T TOUCH ME". As for what was said, I again and again, was telling him that I didn't understand ("no comprendo"), and the only thing I understood from the exchange was that he was very upset I brought pizza from the pizzeria in to eat for dinner... turns out they have a "no outside food" rule - however, when speaking with the other pilgrims who stayed there that night, I learned that not one of us had ever been informed of that, nor were aware. Not only that, but as I ate my pizza the night before, the man walked by me multiple times and never said a word, nor any nonverbal indication that he had a problem with it. However, this man seemed to be so upset about this particular part, that he even grabbed the pizza box from the trash and wagged it in my face.

I was terrified in this situation in the morning, and shocked - I very quickly backed out of the hostel as he yelled out the door at me and I walked away. Not only did I feel unsafe here, but this man has no business working in hospitality. I have walked the Camino four times now, and have never experienced something like this. I've also traveled for years on end, and have never seen someone who works with tourists behave so aggressively like that. Yes, I'm in Spain, and yes, English isn't the language, but I was clearly trying to communicate with him in Spanish, and didn't understand. Rather than be understanding of that, or offer to use Google Translate, this man quite literally flew off the handle.

(On smaller side notes... multiple other pilgrims and I all agreed that we were very underwhelmed by the "welcome" we got from the woman who checked us in. We all felt more like an inconvenience in her day than anything else. We all also agreed that it felt like a rip off to pay 20 EUR for a bunk bed the night, and if you wanted to do laundry, pay 11 EUR(!!) more... this place truly felt the opposite of so much of what the Camino is supposed to be.)

I gather this is the fifth time you walked the Camino. I would have expected you to know a bit more Spanish than you had. After all, it’s their country and it deserves respect.

Bogong

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dear mfmaroto
my sincere best wishes to you after your unpleasant experience, which was also physically abusive and should be reported to the police on AlertCops (if you have the app), or at your next stop. No one should have to experience such aggressive behaviour - regardless of any language barriers or wherever you may be!
Unfortunately, having posted about an aggressive incident at an Albergue last year (Camino Norte - Santander), which I and a female pilgrim experienced, I was troubled by a number of responses on this Forum from fellow members who seemed to find excuses for the culprit, argued there are always two or three sides to a situation or told me to move on and get over it.
YOU experienced this. You felt threatened and abused. You did the right thing to write the posts to warn others. Ignore any posts that seem to ignore or devalue your feelings and always do as you seem right based upon your experiences. I am still awaiting a response from a member who promised to look into my complaint about the incident and individual I posted about.
Good luck and don't be discouraged. Find a Camino Buddy or group, take a day or two's rest further along to recover your peace of mind.
Ultreia et Suseia
It seems to be a common issue when someone points out an issue on this forum it is subject to a challenges doubting the poster and making excuses and alternative readings on the subject matter, the people who post issues and challenges they encounter on Camino are doing so mostly to raise awareness and not from malice or revenge.
Please be circumspect and respectful when pilgrim's post it is a concern to them.
We are all adults show respect to pilgrim's who feel it is important to have their viewpoint heard.
My deepest sympathy with mfmaroto take care.

I occasionally work with DV (domestic violence) cases with a charity. Had one this week where both parties came to us. People take sides without fully knowing the background.

Without commenting on this particular case, the mods may with to consider if allowing comments on someone that might be personally identifiable in a GDPR sense, should continue without the other party being able to respond as they can with the other social media sites mentioned.
Corned Beef - This is obviously a forum for members to post and read articles. This was a female Pilgrim beleaguered by a man. She has a right as a member to express her concerns over her experiences - whether good or bad. The police can decide if there is a case to be answered or not, not other members nor moderators. I, too, have experience working in such fields as confronting aggression and abuse - at times very stressful and upsetting incidents. Let the authorities identify the accused party and decide what action (if any) needs to be taken. We read posts on this forum about flashers and gropers, even 'suspicious characters' - where will moderators draw the line on posting about these incidents without talking to the accused individuals? What's the difference (if any), between all of these? Do not belittle any of this. Let the authorities decide, not hobby social workers or naive judgementalism. I rightly read 'report to the police' all incidents concerning flashers and gropers - why not in this post? No one has the right to minimise such concerns.

Dear mfmaroto, I'm so sorry to hear of your experience. That behaviour is totally unacceptable - and 20-euros is exorbitant. We stayed in Foncebadon last month (Oct 18) and very nearly chose that albergue. We opted instead for a relatively new one - Casa Chelo. It is owned and operated by a single woman. She speaks no English, but is extremely hospitable. She charges 15-euros and makes an excellent paella (also 15-euros). I would highly recommend.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

What you need to do is get in contact with Ivar Casa a report to him about this situation.

At this point, the warning has been made the experience has been communicated. I think now I am seeing more heat than light in the continuing discussions so I'm going to lock this thread. If there are other incidents, they can be reported in another thread.

Last edited:
Temporarily unlocking to respond to this:

What you need to do is get in contact with Ivar Casa a report to him about this situation.
Casa Ivar has nothing to do with how albergues or anything else are run on the Camino. It is not a clearinghouse for complaints about the Camino. Complaints should be made to proper authorities. Reviews can be made on Gronze.com and other websites.
Every business in Spain is required to have complaint forms called hojas de reclamaciones on hand.

Information at this link:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.