• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water, food and packing advice needed please!

KayGoldfish

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Oct 2016- Camino del frances
Hi guys,

I have never done a walk like this and a friend and I are planning to do it in October. We are planning to do the Camino de Frances route.

Random questions, how much water do you recommend we carry? Are there fill up points in the way, and how far apart are they? And is it necessary to carry food? If so how much would you say? Hoping to carry as little as possible and get things as we go.

Can u camp anywhere along the route or must you use registered campsites and if so how much are they? These may seem like silly questions, but I literally have no idea!

Any other advice would be welcome! Thank you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I suggest you buy yourself a guide book, then things become much more clearer ;-) The Camino Frances is what you could call a very civilised hike, with very few exceptions you will go every 5-10km through a village, where you can replenish food and water. Your guide book will tell you of the few exceptions. Camping along the road isn't necessary, there are enough affordable pilgrims hostels available. Buen Camino, SY

Welcome to the forum. There are many questions and the free guide is another good place to begin your process. Click HERE to download it. Also, in the top right corner of each page is a search bar that will provide many/most of the answer you will come up with as there is rarely 'new' information. BTW, I agree with SY above regarding the guidebook and my suggestion is the Brierley (but others may have other opinions...!) as it does a pretty good job with history, prep and day-to-day maps, Albergues and more. Good luck and Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you for the advice. Is there a particular guide book you would recommend? :)

Hello and welcome to the forum!
I suggest you buy yourself a guide book, then things become much more clearer ;-) The Camino Frances is what you could call a very civilised hike, with very few exceptions you will go every 5-10km through a village, where you can replenish food and water. Your guide book will tell you of the few exceptions. Camping along the road isn't necessary, there are enough affordable pilgrims hostels available. Buen Camino, SY

Search the threads. All your awnsers lie on this site. You will learn very much information about the camino. Buen camino. Have fun.

that is almost as dangerous as asking about what to wear on your feet around here. I used the Confraternity of St James guidebook (they often listed available camping) http://www.csj.org.uk/, this website: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/, and gronze.com; i sometimes found camping info in the two travel guides I used, but I don't think it was as up to date. the two websites I listed tended more to give info on albergues, pensions, etc (but I wasn't camping, and you might like a change from the tent some nights)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can u camp anywhere along the route or must you use registered campsites and if so how much are they? These may seem like silly questions, but I literally have no idea!
Please say why you want to camp. That will help us give further advice. In general the advice would be not to camp but if you have some requirement for it (Money? Introversion? Late night partying?) we could tune the advice.

Is there a particular guide book you would recommend? :)

Look at the ones on sale in the forum, they're all good in their different ways.
The German one by Raimund Joos (translated), the one by Brierley, the CSJ guide....
In French there is the Miam Miam Dodo and in Spanish an App by Eroski caminos.....
Loads to choose from , I've probably forgotten a few :)

Random questions, how much water do you recommend we carry? Are there fill up points in the way, and how far apart are they? And is it necessary to carry food? If so how much would you say?
In October, I would carry 500 mL water. There are only a couple of sections where there is not a village every 10 km or less. For the same reason, I would carry a chocolate bar and pack of nuts for "emergencies" and maybe an apple and banana to supplement the coffee and toast breakfast. Same as I might if I were going out for a long walk at home.

Your post is not clear whether you actually prefer to camp or you think it is necessary for some reason. The vast majority of people do not camp, even if they are on strict budgets, and there are very few official campsites.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Already so many offers of help/ support/ information, so I'll just welcome you to this forum but, more importantly, welcome you to the Camino. In whatever shape or form (or route) you may take, you're in for a GREAT adventure.
Ultreia. Suzanne :)

Two things that would be good to pack but are seldom mentioned on packing lists: one or two Cliff bars or similar energy bar and a small bottle of water. I had these stashed in my pack, in addition to my regular food and water, for "emergencies". As it turned out, I needed one of those Cliff bars myself on the first day crossing the Pyrenees. The other bar and the water were used to save a pilgrim who badly needed help when someone took her pack and she was left without, also on that first day in the Pyrenees.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As for guide books, this one https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...t-jean-pied-de-port-to-santiago-de-compostela is a favourite for many - I personally just skip the 'esoteric' stuff and just take note of the historic/practical stuff. As also mentioned, the CSJ publishes their own guide books, for example this one http://www.csj.org.uk/product/camino-frances/ and there are always the free resources found on this forum here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/

Happy reading and Buen Camino, SY

We used the book. Camino de Santiago. The way of St James. John Brierley. We thought it brill it has every stop terrian accommodation etc. One of my friends fellow pilgrim joked about it all the time and called it "THE BOOK". If someone asked a question like what's that building or whens our nxt stop it was normally followed by. " where's the book?".

Hi guys,

I have never done a walk like this and a friend and I are planning to do it in October. We are planning to do the Camino de Frances route.

Random questions, how much water do you recommend we carry? Are there fill up points in the way, and how far apart are they? And is it necessary to carry food? If so how much would you say? Hoping to carry as little as possible and get things as we go.

Hi guys,

Wild camping not recommended may even be illegal. Except for first day in Pyrenees 500ml water all you need. Never carry food. Maybe apple or nuts. Water fonte frequent. On first day sjpdep to roncesvalles at least 3 so no problem. Never walked July August when very hot. Buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In October I carry one small bottle of water and fill up in villages on the way.
If the rain is so hard that the rivers are running brown, I buy water, which is available all along the way.
In October, I would stay in albergues; I would not camp.
I like Brierley's Guidebook which can be purchased on amazon.com

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back