A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Weight saving tips

andywild

Camino(s) past & future
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
I was reading a post by someone that suggested sawing part of the handle from your toothbrush to save weight and it got me thinking..
I realised that the only part of my walking poles that I actually touch is the handles, the rest of the pole is superfluous.. I cut the rest of the poles off and saved roughly 244grams.. not only are they much lighter but they have also stopped making that annoying clicking sound! The only negative I've found is that I tend to fall over more often, I consider this a fair trade.

I have also ordered some long sleeve t-shirts that I am going to cut the sleeves off just above the elbow and likewise some trousers that can be trimmed to just above the knee.. more grams shed!!
Finally, and most effectively, I have ordered a heavy weight jacket that I plan on leaving at home, a saving of over 400grams!
Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
I was reading a post by someone that suggested sawing part of the handle from your toothbrush to save weight and it got me thinking..
I realised that the only part of my walking poles that I actually touch is the handles, the rest of the pole is superfluous.. I cut the rest of the poles off and saved roughly 244grams.. not only are they much lighter but they have also stopped making that annoying clicking sound! The only negative I've found is that I tend to fall over more often, I consider this a fair trade.

I have also ordered some long sleeve t-shirts that I am going to cut the sleeves off just above the elbow and likewise some trousers that can be trimmed to just above the knee.. more grams shed!!
Finally, and most effectively, I have ordered a heavy weight jacket that I plan on leaving at home, a saving of over 400grams!
Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x
Now that got me thinking. If I take everything out of my rucksack it will weigh a lot less and there will be more room for souvenir tee-shirts to bring home!

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Consider "going commando". That should save another 150 grams!
With all that webbing and ammo and an SA-80? Not to mention trying to squeeze your bergen into Ryanair's little tubular box at the boarding gate and getting your F-S knife past security... Far too much hassle :cool:

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
How about shaving your beard off before starting out...that should take off a pile of weight.
Quit smoking entirely while you are away.
Oh, and leave the sunglasses at home...that will help, too.
Your Avatar alone gives ample opportunity for weight reduction while on the camino!

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Now that got me thinking. If I take everything out of my rucksack it will weigh a lot less and there will be more room for souvenir tee-shirts to bring home!
Jeff, I'm sure your daughters will just "love" a T-shirt displaying a huge yellow arrow...especially if they have never walked it themselves.😂

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Or walk the Le Puy route for a month. I lost 10kg there, always hungry.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I'm thinking of removing the top part of my shoes, and attaching the soles to my feet with some kind of straps.
Oh wait, I think that I've invented sandals. 😂

Simon B

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019

Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x
I leave for the VDLP next Tuesday. Thinking that I could just not take my rucksack - perhaps I could put everything in a plastic carrier bag - but that would then offend my sense of trying to stop the use of said plastic bag.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Castile y Leon!
Jeff, I'm sure your daughters will just "love" a T-shirt displaying a huge yellow arrow...especially if they have never walked it themselves.😂
No, they've always preferred the Santiago Witches (I've been there more often than not in October) or Celtic silver jewellery if only for the "Ooh, where did you get that from?" from friends.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
No, they've always preferred the Santiago Witches (I've been there more often than not in October) or Celtic silver jewellery if only for the "Ooh, where did you get that from?" from friends.
I prefer the celtic silver jewely, too...we be ladies!

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I carry 1/2kg. of shaving equipment so I can shave face, arms, head & legs every day. Saves a lot of weight in 30+ days, methinks.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
I carry 1/2kg. of shaving equipment so I can shave face, arms, head & legs every day. Saves a lot of weight in 30+ days, methinks.
Just have a full body wax before leaving, then you can leave all the shaving paraphernalia at home. The true savings in weight will make up for the pain, methinks.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Just have a full body wax before leaving, then you can leave all the shaving paraphernalia at home. The true savings in weight will make up for the pain, methinks.
I take no chances: It'll GROW OUT again. I'll bring my weight-saving gear with me at all times...

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
But that's the beauty of a wax...it lasts 30+ days...just saying.
I may consider waxing for two other areas. Cannot name them. The rest I'll shave...

kiwi-couple

Camino(s) past & future
CF April/May 2019
Thanks so much for these great weight saving tips @andywild I think I'll be adopting some of them. One thing I have been doing during the long hot dry weeks we're having here in New Zealand is dehydrating water - using the sun's natural rays is an inexpensive and organic way to do this - and I'll simply rehydrate my water as I go along. We all know how heavy water is!

Jim Stinson

ibrew4u
Camino(s) past & future
5/2015 CF
4/2017 CF
5/2019 CF fr Astorga
9/2019 CF fr Astorga
You people are amateurs.
I stream The Way, 6 Ways to Santiago, and Footprints back to back for 35 days.
I only have to carry a couple of beers and a bag of chips to the couch. I would grab a whole 6 pack, but I want the experience to be authentic.
On my way to fridge for more beer, I have to step over the pile of crap my cat drops on the rug every day!
Ahh, credits for The Way are ending, got to go...

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)

Hope these tips help
Hugs
Andy x
Get a body wax including head and face before you leave and repeat weekly.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
andywild "Not so serious" topics 12
OLDER threads on this topic
Money saving tip...

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock