• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What comforted you?

scikowski

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014 Camino Portugues 2016
With the ongoing conversations about whether or not to bring phones and cameras on the Camino, I started thinking about why I felt it was important to me to bring my phone. Besides the safety reasons and possible need to connect with my daughter/walking companion should we be separated, I realized that having daily communication via text messages with my husband back home comforted me on some very challenging and painful days. I suspect that everyone probably has something that comforts them in times of discomfort and fatigue and helps them carry on. I'm hoping that others will share what has been comforting to them. (I also found comfort in a pair of lightweight fleece socks that got me through some very chilly nights!)
Suzanne

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Two simple acts always gave comfort. At each day's end it was a great pleasure to remove my pack and just sit! While on cold nights in unheated albergues wearing my wooly hat to bed was a must. Both actions helped me to continue and keep up the good fight.

Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Taking off my pack and my boots and having a shower! After that everything seemed much better.
Many times it was also seeing familiar faces around me :)

for me is was lying there snug as a bug in my sleeping bag at the end of the day eating those last pieces of chocolate saved from the days walk-bliss :D
Ian

The soles of my boots were too thin for the gravely Spanish roads and the ball of one foot had started to blister. The simple addition of some toilet roll to the inside of the boot gave me enormous comfort and relief. I figured it was too late to buy new footwear on the Camino but I did buy some fluffy insoles instead!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My new down sleeping bag gave me comfort...... Gorgeous color and very cozy. The birds in the early mornings, those giant chocolate bars with almonds, and those terrible/delicious cookies with the chocolate filling, we're all amazing as well :)!

My newly found friends, beer, and bocadillos de jamon. In that order...or maybe beer first. :D

Buen Camino!

It is said that one arrives in Santiago on the wings of prayer and yes that helps, for me it was coffee, the Spanish solo and the Portuguese bica. When the sun has passed the yard-arm I must agree with Tyrrek, the beer is a treat and the thought that somewhere at any given minute the sun has just passed a yardarm.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Whilst out on the track for the day my music comforted me greatly. I didnt use it all the time, just when i was alone or needed a pick me up. A bit of Cat Empire will put anyone in a great mood (and possibly lead you to dancing and singing along the camino...hence why i only put it on when alone hahaha).

At the end of the day, friendly faces was the most comfort. Nothing beats walking out of the rain into a warm albergue and hearing your name called out from the top of the stairs or hiking into town to see a cold beer waiting for you at the first bar :D

I relate to so many of the things that have been said and they all provide differing degrees of comfort at different times. However, when I first read the opening comment it got me to thinking of the darkest times. For me the Camino is a true pilgrimage and is always primarily a spiritual journey. For me, is always that Light that ever shines and mends my broken heart. Even in my failure as a disciple of Christ I am renewed by his love and his sacrifice for me. Knowing that it is for Him that I walk, to strengthen our relationship, to improve the manner I may emulate his example.

As I walk it is meeting and coming to know so many wonderful people. Those who share a kind word with another; who notice the one that lags and yet extend a hand to assist; the people who serve the pilgrims as they hear the same whine for the hundredth time time day and retain a smile. In these I find the face of our God; the poor wayfaring man of grief may we ever serve him, remember him, and know him.

scikowski said:
I suspect that everyone probably has something that comforts them in times of discomfort and fatigue and helps them carry on. I'm hoping that others will share what has been comforting to them.
Right you are! Look at my avatar picture, taken during our walk to Santiago in September 2011. The hottest rainless month since many years. Global warming :roll: :?:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
First thing i can remeber is COLD SHOWER in the alberge (it is sad so may albergs have showers whic cannot aloud to regulate heatnes of wather.

Second - ice, for which a ask at the local bar, when i rested. And a basin of really cold water at the end of my walking.

3. My camino friends, who were wiling to talk about bad news from my home (it was really hard to me not to be at home at that moment).
And of course - my camino friends who helped me a lot, i mean A LOT when my legs didint cooperate with me.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My mp3 player, because I walk alone more often than not, catching up with people in the towns, and listening to the clack of my stick nor my tinnitus is all that great.

Also my tablet because it lets me keep in touch with home every now and then.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back