• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to bring...

pepeeto

I am an avid musician and I am planning on bringing my guitar. Has anyone or is anyone bringing a musical instrument on the road, and did you enjoy doing that. Alternatevely, did you regret bringing your guitar, re; extra weight, cumbersome..etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In PILGRIM SNAIL BUSKING TO SANTIAGO Ben Nimmo writes about his walk from Canterbury to Santiago - with his trombone!!
He played with local musicians, busked in the streets and seemed to have had a great time!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Pepeeto!

This was discussed last year somewhere - just search on 'guitar'. There are alternatives such as ukuleles and mandolins, which are more portable. As always it's a bit of a compromise; either extra weight and bulk or ditching something else. One of the other practical considerations is waterproofing!

Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And of course seeing an instrument is always valuable : keeping an eye on it while you are showering could be tricky.
On the other hand, I met a guy on the CF with a guitar : lovely music!

Texan chap turned up at a rest stop I had set up near Logrono ... about five of us there, as it moved to twilight he played, passed on the guitar, another played - it was wonderful, utterly wonderful.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met a guitar player from Kentucky with a Martin travel guitar. After about two weeks, he shipped it to his last stop, Madrid. He played it regularly, but it required watching and care. He decided it was not worth it.

pepeeto said:
I am an avid musician and I am planning on bringing my guitar.
Taking whatever instrument (larger than a mouth harmonica) along the Camino is something you have to consider in respect of personal convenience. Music, by any instrument of any kind, can be marvelous to a group of walkers in an albergue, provided the location and atmosphere are apt to it. It may work out one day, and not for another couple of days. On a long journey, you wouldn't want to have your instrument damaged either. It's a risk, it can be done, people (like me) will like it! :)

My son walked his second camino last year with one of his older guitars. He's a pretty serious musician and couldn't bear to be separated from a guitar. He was known on the CF as "the American guy with the guitar" and he and his music were pretty popular. Since it was an older guitar in an older case he didn't worry too much about whether it would be stolen or not. However, he was always protecting it from rain and hassling with the straps he used to tie it to his pack. The fact he had two young, female pilgrims help him carry it was an advantage. On balance, he was happy to have his guitar with him and would likely do it again.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Search for Oliver Schroer. Violinist who took some sound equipment and violin and recorded an album in various places on the camino. It call "camino" for some reason.

Have seen many guitars on the camino as well as a small harp. These musicians contributed many days of enjoyment for the rest of us and apparently for themselves as well. One pilgrim left his at home and regretted it, so bought a guitar in Pamplona. Would support suggestions by others to consider cutting back on something else that you had planned to carry to offset the weight.

Great answers everyone, I really appreciate the input.....I am gonna do a couple of trial walks around town, 15-20 K WITH the guitar in the set up I intend to use, and with the rest of my gear and see how I feel. My biggest concern is for the overall health of my guitar..... :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Can't you put a hinged door on the back of it, a pair of straps, and use it as your backpack?

ok, maybe not ......

do you mean 15-20 kg of gear PLUS your guitar? If so, that's a LOT. Actually, even if it includes your guitar, it's a LOT. :) Most people tend to target 7-10 kg max weight. Rule of thumb is 10% of your body weight. So you might want to keep that in mind.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for that observation Vagabondette....Indeed 15-20 kg IS a lot..What I meant was 15-20 LBS. I tried a few backpacks at my local sporting goods store with 10KG or roughly 22lbs and I thought that was very heavy for a small 800km walk...I am currently starting to make my lists of what to bring, and would like to pare down to about 10% of my body weight, so I'll be aiming for 18 lbs plus my guitar. :D

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back