• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

When walking backwards can you stay in albergues?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
When I've walked backwards I've always gotten private lodging.
Will they let you stay in albergues if you are walking backwards?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I was once told, very firmly, by a Hospitalero at the municipal in Burgos that the Albergues were for pilgrims walking to Santiago. When I asked him where pilgrims walking home again were supposed to stay he told me "no-one walks home, they all get a 'plane". The evenings discussion was long, and friendly. At the end of it I think I had convinced him that Albergues were for pilgrims, on pilgrimage, and that pilgrimage was a journey and that a journey was not over until the pilgrim was home again.

If you hold a credencial, to show you are a pilgrim: stamped to show where you last sheltered and where you have walked from...

My ruck started because I confessed that I was walking only to Moratinos. To pick some litter. At one point in a good discussion I was asked "where is Santiago in this?" To which the only reasonable answer is everywhere and so are his pilgrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the Norte in reverse in 2013 and had no trouble staying in albergues except when they were full - it was August.

A surprising number of local people tried to tell me I was going the wrong way until I said "vuelvo".

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You ran into the occasional hospitalero who doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. Of course reverse hikers can stay at albergues, long as they have credentials.
I always shiver when I hear someone say "just ask the hospitalero, he knows..." Because sometimes he doesn't know Jack. Especially if he's as much an out-of-towner as you are! Most will just tell you "I don't know," but then you meet people like that one in Burgos.
Go figure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I met a pilgrim who had walked the portuguese from his home in Lisbon to Santiago. He was then walking the Frances in reverse to Lourdes. From Lourdes he hoped to make it to Rome, and by Christmas, he hoped to make it to Jerusulum.

He was carrying a small dog in a pack.

He also had wife.

They were staying in an albuergue when I met him a day north of Leon.

Remarkable fellow. The dog had his own passport btw, or should I say three passports that were already full.

I would say that pilgrims walking backwards are much more entitled to stay in an albergue than the rest of us. How they do that without tripping and bumping into things all the time amazes me. ;)
Very funny wise guy...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I've walked backwards I've always gotten private lodging.
Will they let you stay in albergues if you are walking backwards?

Yes -- though in some small number of places, it's better to have your Compostela with you as well as your Credencial, so I'd personally suggest doing a quick 100 km run at least into Santiago before starting a revès. Just a suggestion -- those places are not very many, and during the season, alternatives will nearly always exist -- but it's always good anyway to walk into Santiago and get your Compostela.

For comparison, though, I've half-hiked half-hitched back along the Way more than once, and even then, I had very few problems with the albergues. People returning along the Camino instead of by transport are treated differently by hospitaleros, most of whom know very well how lonely it can be for a backwards pilgrim walking the opposite direction to the crowd, and so make special effort to be welcoming.

We met a guy walking backwards on the Portuguese who was having a terrible time of it. We suggested he start telling hospitaleros he was walking to Fatima!

We met a guy walking backwards on the Portuguese who was having a terrible time of it. We suggested he start telling hospitaleros he was walking to Fatima!

My first ever "proper" walking backwards guy was a gift of the Apostle and the Camino to me, and I was extremely grateful to be able to return the gift 2-3 weeks later, and to be a gift of the Apostle and the Camino to him, while hitch-hiking back along the Way.

My friend was having a terrible time too when I met him the second time, and he wanted to give up, but somehow those few KM we did to walk out of Burgos towards France and my next hitching spot were sufficient to lift his spirits.

I heard subsequently of his successful completion from another Pilgrim months later in Paris who had met him in Roncesvalles. The internet did not exist as such in those days.

There are stages both before and beyond the 3/4 "stages of the Camino" sometimes referred to in Camino folklore, and the sheer abject loneliness of the walk home is one of those extra stages to get through. (it's been the most difficult one for me personally)

But first-time backwards Pilgrims still need every ounce of help you can give !!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The correct English terminology is "walking in reverse".

When I was a young guy - 65 years ago - there was a lady living in Southampton [UK] who could only walk backwards, being born - as I understand it - with knees that bent in the opposite direction to everyone elses.
Thank God we are 'normal' ..... well, as 'normal' as any peregrino can be :).

I am so pleased to find this!
I couldn't find a thread regarding walking both ways. I walked the Camino 5 years ago but this coming year I'm wishing to walk from St. John Pied de Port to Santiago, have a few days there and walk back to St John Pied de Port, solo.For walking back is October an okay month? Being from NZ , when we visit Europe it needs to be for a length of time away ...its a long journey to get there! Walking is so much better than plane travel!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Changed my plans, am going to head off end of April, four of five days in Santiago, then walk back again. I guess walking against the crowd could be a bit lonely but will meet up in the albergues. Has anyone out there done this who could tell me a little more?
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back