• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where would you start a Camino in a few days, and why?

Richard Ward

Time of past OR future Camino
Future: April 2024; Past: Frances, Norte, Madrid.
Plan A for me might be washed out -- flooded roads/humidity + Seville sun/heat might be a bad combination for me.

I have a bit over 3 weeks to walk.

Not interested in bed races, or a nearly solo experience (like my Camino Madrid one late fall...).

Thoughts?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Camino Portugues (Littoral) and include the Variante Espiritual. Not sure where you've walked before. I walked the Madrid with a Spaniard and even then it was mostly Spaniards we met. Norte is very popular now and I had a great group to walk with. Portugal is amazing, starting from Porto.

Camino Portugues (Littoral) and include the Variante Espiritual. Not sure where you've walked before. I walked the Madrid with a Spaniard and even then it was mostly Spaniards we met. Norte is very popular now and I had a great group to walk with. Portugal is amazing, starting from Porto.
I did the coastal Portugues in late 2019 (took a bus after completing Madrid), and finished the Norte with my son last summer. I agree, they are both great walks, but not sure about one beginning in early April.

Best weather (short term) looks like Frances right now, but again, not interested in bed races (which I had to deal with last summer on the Norte).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There shouldn't be much "bed racing" right now on the Francés.
It has been since 2018 for me on Frances, so wasn't sure of situation there. Thanks.

A start in Pamplona, Logrono, Belorado (3 hour bus from Madrid) or Vitoria is definitely on my radar. I have a feeling the closer I get to Pamplona, the more crowded the trail, as Napoleon typically opens April 1.

April and early May are busy times, but most of the bottleneck will be before Pamplona. Also staying in off stage communities helps to spread out the pilgrims and is usually a way to see something different if you walked the very traditional stages previously.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Via Augusta (Cadiz to Seville) is an amazing walk of about five days. Not ideal for the pilgrim wedded to albergue accommodation, but lots of quite nice and very affordable bar/hotels on this route. Walked it this time last year, and will certainly aim to complete again. Then with a further couple of weeks....Caceres (another amazing Spanish town) would be a good target. Buen Camino.

I'm a repeat offender on the Frances, and quite a fan of staying in between stages (Navarette, Azofra...). There is seemingly indeed (strangely) a shortage of beds prior to Pamplona, and logistics to get past Pamplona from Madrid are either slow or expensive to join in the bed race. Again, good to hear the crowds have not increased too much past Pamplona.

Via Augusta (Cadiz to Seville) is an amazing walk of about five days. Not ideal for the pilgrim wedded to albergue accommodation, but lots of quite nice and very affordable bar/hotels on this route. Walked it this time last year, and will certainly aim to complete again. Then with a further couple of weeks....Caceres (another amazing Spanish town) would be a good target. Buen Camino.
Sounds fun! But might be very (very) soggy now, if not impassable. See the other thread from today regarding flooding on the Via de la Plata. Glad you had a great time!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sounds fun! But might be very (very) soggy now, if not impassable. See the other thread from today regarding flooding on the Via de la Plata. Glad you had a great time!
Oh I don't know Richard...sort of think I'd trade the burbs of Atlanta for ANYWHERE in a soggy Spain right now! That said, in reading the reports coming in, I take my hat off for those enterprising pilgrims on the path right now.

I take my hat off for those enterprising pilgrims on the path right now.
Ha ! But there comes a time (if you aren’t a newbie or young and daring to get ‘to it’ regardless ) that trying to dodge the weather becomes difficult.
I’ve been on the Vdlp this month and although wet and soggy / it was preferable to my recent days on the Camino de Levante. ( I visited friends in mid spain and opted to shoot for someplace warmer and drier. But starting in Albacete was not far enough east !!). Last couple of day has been caked on clay mud —- and rain …
My knees can’t handle another day so I’m going to spend 4 days in Valencia where it’s warmer (🤔🤔) then see.

I think you have the same dilemma . Hard to dodge unless you can delay your departure and arrive a bit later.
Buen camino.

Ha ! But there comes a time (if you aren’t a newbie or young and daring to get ‘to it’ regardless ) that trying to dodge the weather becomes difficult.
I’ve been on the Vdlp this month and although wet and soggy / it was preferable to my recent days on the Camino de Levante. ( I visited friends in mid spain and opted to shoot for someplace warmer and drier. But starting in Albacete was not far enough east !!). Last couple of day has been caked on clay mud —- and rain …
My knees can’t handle another day so I’m going to spend 4 days in Valencia where it’s warmer (🤔🤔) then see.

I think you have the same dilemma . Hard to dodge unless you can delay your departure and arrive a bit later.
Buen camino.
I'm OK with rain. Postholing in mud (or worse) is not my idea of fun though (I am so through with that after the Appalachian Trail...). Weather around Pamplona looks tempting though. Maybe I'll walk 10-14 days from there, then train/bus forward to finish off on the Invierno or the last few days of the Sanabres or Frances.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm OK with rain. Postholing in mud (or worse) is not my idea of fun though (I am so through with that after the Appalachian Trail...). Weather around Pamplona looks tempting though. Maybe I'll walk 10-14 days from there, then train/bus forward to finish off on the Invierno or the last few days of the Sanabres or Frances.
At least on the Invierno the rain should 'run off'.
There's a lot of hills :rolleyes:

Plan A for me might be washed out -- flooded roads/humidity + Seville sun/heat might be a bad combination for me.

Not interested in bed races, or a nearly solo experience (like my Camino Madrid one late fall...).

Thoughts?
There are many good options, but if you haven't wa

Thoughts?
One of our favorite camino combos was the Salvador followed by the Primitivo. No crowds, but still plenty of walkers. And drop dead gorgeous. But...ya gotta like mountains and vistas.

Otherwise, I would do the Aragones. To us, it was a perfect balance of no crowds, good commeraderie, fascinating terrain and so much history.

On the other hand, Madrid ranks at the top of our list of caminos, if one wants to be embraced by the villagers. Nothing comes close. Of course, it helps to speak Spanish. If not, it is, as you say, very, very lonely.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

One of our favorite camino combos was the Salvador followed by the Primitivo. No crowds, but still plenty of walkers. And drop dead gorgeous. But...ya gotta like mountains and vistas.

Otherwise, I would do the Aragones. To us, it was a perfect balance of no crowds, good commeraderie, fascinating terrain and so much history.

On the other hand, Madrid ranks at the top of our list of caminos, if one wants to be embraced by the villagers. Nothing comes close. Of course, it helps to speak Spanish. If not, it is, as you say, very, very lonely.
You beat me to it! Huge San Salvador/Primitivo combo fan here. I was just thinking about it again this morning. The most beautiful walk through the mountains - yes, you need to be ready for ups and downs. Someone else's line is, "The Primitivo...there's always a hill." But, it's completely worth it. León, Oviedo, Lugo - all great cities!

On the SS you need to be mindful of food/calling ahead to let them know you're coming, but that's easy and all laid out in Ender's Guide to the Camino San Salvador (Google it).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It has been since 2018 for me on Frances, so wasn't sure of situation there. Thanks.

A start in Pamplona, Logrono, Belorado (3 hour bus from Madrid) or Vitoria is definitely on my radar. I have a feeling the closer I get to Pamplona, the more crowded the trail, as Napoleon typically opens April 1.
I arrive in Pamplona on April 9, and start walking the 10th. I don't mind the "bed race" and will book forward if needed. If your mindset is set on VdlP, why not start in Merida? A great place, lots of history, and an easy walk on.

Thoughts?
Do Burgos to Santiago. That way you will get the whole package - cathedral, some maseta, O, Cebrero and the last 100 km

Do Burgos to Santiago. That way you will get the whole package - cathedral, some maseta, O, Cebrero and the last 100 km
That is pretty much where I am now, though might start back from Burgos 2-7 days. Buses from Madrid are cheap and easy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Snowing in fact! On the Salvador at least!
Salvador and its vicinity (even Salamanca, Zamora, etc.) look soggy now. I read a few days ago only the high eastern plateau (e.g., Burgos to east) would be mostly spared by Easter Week rains, and that looks to be the case.

I looked hard at the Aragones, and probably would have picked it if it were a couple of weeks later in the season, and if I were in a bit better condition. Housing looks sparse on the route now, and it might be a bit more challenging than I want now. But thanks!

Robo , I understand that he’ll walk the last section to Santiago .. there is usually a lot of mucky paths through there . Still it’s not clay / (maybe mixed with a fair bit of cow 🐄🤣🤣).
Usually not much mud on Galician "trails" (i.e., often stone, crushed rock or asphalt). But yet, Galicia is often slippery because of the cows... I just walked a lot of Galicia (Ribadeo to Fisterra), so need to get some other parts in. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, it was still fun and informative to see where others would hike. Those are on my list to do, just not in the cold/wet season.

Hi K&K - what guides did you use for your Via Augusta walk. Gronze only has the stages - guide in preparation. We are looking on doing this March 2025. Many thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey KaMkk22...we actually didn't have a guide for the Via Augusta (I certainly couldn't find one); however, I did rely heavily on the Gronze Map App. Couldn't get this one through an App Store, but if you Google Gronze Map App you'll find clear directions for loading directly from Gronze to your phone. It was very useful getting out of the larger towns, but overall I recall the route being well reasonably well marked with the Camino arrows.

While initially cautious of walking this route I was sold watching a YouTube video by Alvaro Lazaga Busto. It's all spoken in Spanish, but the video gives you a good appreciation of the route. Once viewed....we were sold! Buen Camino!

I did rely heavily on the Gronze Map App. Couldn't get this one through an App Store,
That's how I downloaded the Gronze Map app, but it's now available in both the Google Play and Apple app stores!

That's how I downloaded the Gronze Map app, but it's now available in both the Google Play and Apple app stores!

Thanks Trecile...good to know. I'll head to the Apple Store now!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be aware that Gronze Maps need an internet connection to work. They don't have the ability to work offline like Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino maps.
Thanks for that. Interesting - as I used the Gronze Map App offline for GPS on the iPhone and it worked really well. I tend to also have the other apps you mention...so generally well covered.

Thanks for that. Interesting - as I used the Gronze Map App offline for GPS on the iPhone and it worked really well. I tend to also have the other apps you mention...so generally well covered.
Are you sure? This is what the Maps page on Gronze says about using the app:

"Currently, Gronze Maps only works with an Internet connection . If the connection temporarily fails, it will be indicated with a "No Network" message until it is available again."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are you sure? This is what the Maps page on Gronze says about using the app:

"Currently, Gronze Maps only works with an Internet connection . If the connection temporarily fails, it will be indicated with a "No Network" message until it is available again."
Trecile...yep...positive. Used it on the Augusta and VdlP. Was definitely my 'go to' for GPS. I can't imagine why anyone would develop a GPS 'map app' that relied on an internet connection.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back