• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why 2023 is the Year of the Long Walk (NYT article)

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Interesting article ... though I'd take issue with :

The idea of a walking holiday — a long-distance journey on foot, during which you lodge overnight and carry just enough clothing, food and water for each day’s stretch — has long been popular in Europe. But within the last few years, these pilgrimage-style walks have sprung up all over the world.

Sure there are many on the Camino who are on "walking holidays", but the pilgrimage transcends that triviality.

I'd say there are three styles of long-distance hiking.

1) Yes, the walking holiday.

2) Backpacking in the US thru-hike manner -- a very different beast, and more sports discipline than holiday.

3) Pilgrimage (including the numerous varying traditions of it).

The three styles have their specifics and share some commonalities with each other, but each has a unique perspective in approaches to it and goals.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A little more work than the Camino to lay out places to stay but well worth it. I walked the European Peace Walk in 2017 which, I think, has now become two separate walks, the latter half being the Walk of Peace. Beautiful countryside with a lot of history.

Interesting article, thank you. I've just done a week or so on the Via Transilvanica, a new trail covering 1400km of Romania from the Ukrainian to Bulgarian borders. I won't be able to do it all this time, as the heat is getting too much for my cold northern blood. Some beautiful sections, some quite hard work.

DSC_0917~2.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back