• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino gear for the quasi-large?

KaliKat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2017)
Hello all,

I am in the planning stages of a Winter trek on the Camino Frances in early next year, maybe that's too abrupt, I'm not sure, I'll see how the training and the Spanish-learning go. My issue is that the high-end trek clothing, primarily the pants, all seem to stop at size not-big-enough. I'm wearing a 16/18 US jean but the hiking clothes manufacturer's (for example, LL Bean and Colombia) have "plus sizes" that go up to a size 20 which is somehow smaller than the size 16 jeans I wear everyday. (I also ended up with a perfect size XL jacket after the size 3XL jacket I tried on locally was too small... what?) I have large thighs as well, so I'm extremely cagey about buying several hundred dollars in probably too small pants online. What I've read from other larger hikers on the wide web is that they're wearing leggings/shorts/skirts which I'm concerned won't help me much in the winter.

I guess my main question is what are you winter peregrinos wearing for bottoms? Anyone have experience with larger sizes in brands? And does anyone have any suggestions for where to go about getting those in the Canadian region? So far the only thing I can get locally is a pair of baselayer tights with a pair of BDU-style hunting pants over top. Does that sound fair enough? I'm having trouble with the sizes/fear of extreme chafe in the cold.

Anyway, thanks all! Buen camino!

Kali

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess my main question is what are you winter peregrinos wearing for bottoms? Anyone have experience with larger sizes in brands? And does anyone have any suggestions for where to go about getting those in the Canadian region?

@KaliKat
Welcome to the forum. Have you considered Stanfield long underwear? My warmest pair of leggings is from Stanfield, 90% wool, 10% nylon. I did not take them with me for a fall camino, as they are warmer than I needed. But you might find something warm in your size in one of their stores in Nova Scotia. They seem to have fairly large sizes and you could try them on if you buy locally. I bought my leggings at Sears in Calgary under the Elita brand, but see the Stanfield website at http://www.stanfields.com/ for further information and addresses in Truro and Dartmouth. Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi Kali - Just wondering if you ever considered going to a seamstress/tailor and having a pair of pants custom-made for yourself? I've had pants made for myself in the past that way and at the end of the days between material and labour costs it really wasn't much different than the $99 Northface trekking pants I use now. Made with good material they could be an investment for many years to come. Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In general, mens' sizes go much further up. You may have to shorten the legs a bit, but that's cheaper than tailoring from scratch.

I have a sister who is "plus sized." She lives in upstate New York near Rochester, just across the lake from Toronto. My comments are based on things she learned her winter outdoor activities, and from her husband who works outside in the building trades in all weather.

For example: For extra warmth, and as others have suggested above, consider a pair of tights, or even panty hose under your outer trousers. ;)

Note: Professional football player in the US and Canada used to wear ladies panty hose under their uniforms to play in cold weather outdoors. Then Underarmour invented real tights for men's athletic wear...same net effect at 10 times the price...:eek:

Alternatively consider buying men's trousers. You would need to go to the shop to try them on to get something that fits. The most likely issue is leg inseam length. You may have to hem the trousers to suit. My sister does this all the time. She is 5 feet 2 inches tall and always hems the inseams. When she finds a waist / hip combination that fits well, the legs are like a foot too long...:eek:

Remember to NOT buy cotton fabric as it gets wet and stays wet, and dries ever so slowly. You want synthetic materials that provide warmth but either shed water, or dry really fast.

In the States, I would recommend brands such as Cabela's, Duluth Trading, and Carhartt. I confess to ignorance in Canada regarding availability of these or comparable brands. But if you check out their web sites, you will get the idea. The trick is to seek the synthetic or high synthetic blend material, shying away from high or total cotton content.

You do NOT need lined trousers, like with fleece or flannel. If you use these or "over pants," you are carrying dead weight. Walking all day provides enough generated body heat. However, you might consider a second layer, like the panty hose or tights to start off in the morning. Then, if you warm up, remove them in the toilette at your first or second cafe stop of the day.

I hope this helps.

Columbia Sportswear has some good plus sized clothes. Most of my wardrobe is from there. I bought a pair of fleece leggings for a recent Alaska trip and they were generously sized and plenty warm. I have heard Canadians have a hard time getting their products though...I don't remember if they don't ship to Canada or if the shipping cost is high, but it's a brand worth looking into.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In New Zealand when tramping in cold weather we wear Merino leggings which keep you warm even when a bit wet and shorts over the top.
Lots of merino layers on top of body in varying thicknesses so you can peel off as needed. Perhaps light down jacket.
Waterproof over the top.
You could probably get away with a large poncho over the top if you can't get large enough rain jackets/pants.

Hello all,

I am in the planning stages of a Winter trek on the Camino Frances in early next year I'm wearing a 16/18 US jean.

I guess my main question is what are you winter peregrinos wearing for bottoms? Anyone have experience with larger sizes in brands? And does anyone have any suggestions for where to go about getting those in the Canadian region?
Kali

I too am planning a Winter trek on the Camino Frances in early next year. I wear slightly larger than you 18/20 jeans. I have the same problem and not many solutions - however I am going with the winter tights and a light pair of pants from REI. REI has plus sizes on their website but not too many at this time. I bought an Altus Poncho on Amazon.es in XL/XXL I am swimming in it but I love the length and it keeps me dry!

Kalikat,

You are a lucky girl: you live in Canada.

Take a look at the Sportives Plus website.

Canadian company, many of its items are their own creations, and made in Canada. Price is not inexpensive, but the quality is there, and when on sale they are a super buy. And they have phenomenal prices at the moment.

I wear their walking pants daily: on the Camino or at the dog run.
https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/bas/cherokee-10-zinc.html

Here is the Capri version of them: https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/bas/freedom-10-stone.html

I also have walked the Camino in these tops, but as tech, light and quick drying as they are you can easily pull a thread. Despite that I bought a little black dress recently. It's that good a product.

https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/hauts/sans-manches/pinehurst-turquoise.html

Lately I have been walking in their 25$ T: I can't see it on their website, bit you can ask for it, it has their logo on the back. Mine came in white amd fuscia.

Pant sizes I fond true to size, but I have the waist taken in. Thank you hips! Tops I like to go a size up so love handles don't show.

I also bought the softest leggings and matching top from them for the Camino. Hot something or other. They also have theor own brand now.

My dog run winter coat is their own brand, and I also got a short Columbia jacket last year (thought it would be for a winterish Camino). Go one size up for it. This is the one they made this year to compete with Columbia I guess:
https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/exterieur/flake-gris.html

Then, if you don't mind itchy, there is Merino whool. Some say it does not itch, but I find it does, even if it's from IceBreaker. This being said, I tolerate the long sleeve tshirt in a man's cut (not as close to the skin) and undies. But Merino does not dry as quickly as synthetics which can be a problem in winter with chilly albergues.

Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's a very good review and it looks like a good source. I'm not a large person but often find myself wearing "Large" clothes, so I wonder what the larger people wear. It is nice to see a supplier with realistic sizing.

Thank you,

It really is frustrating: you start putting on a bit of weight and all of a sudden there are no fitness, sports, outdoors clothes made for you, so it becomes more difficult to het active, so you put on mpre weight. Urgh.

This company makes quality clothing for anyone who wants to move and be outisde in all weather.

That's a very good review and it looks like a good source. I'm not a large person but often find myself wearing "Large" clothes, so I wonder what the larger people wear. It is nice to see a supplier with realistic sizing.

Thank you,

It really is frustrating: you start putting on a bit of weight and all of a sudden there are no fitness, sports, outdoors clothes made for you, so it becomes more difficult to het active, so you put on mpre weight. Urgh.

This company makes quality clothing for anyone who wants to move and be outisde in all weather.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a sister who is "plus sized." She lives in upstate New York near Rochester, just across the lake from Toronto. My comments are based on things she learned her winter outdoor activities, and from her husband who works outside in the building trades in all weather.

For example: For extra warmth, and as others have suggested above, consider a pair of tights, or even panty hose under your outer trousers. ;)

Note: Professional football player in the US and Canada used to wear ladies panty hose under their uniforms to play in cold weather outdoors. Then Underarmour invented real tights for men's athletic wear...same net effect at 10 times the price...:eek:

Alternatively consider buying men's trousers. You would need to go to the shop to try them on to get something that fits. The most likely issue is leg inseam length. You may have to hem the trousers to suit. My sister does this all the time. She is 5 feet 2 inches tall and always hems the inseams. When she finds a waist / hip combination that fits well, the legs are like a foot too long...:eek:

Remember to NOT buy cotton fabric as it gets wet and stays wet, and dries ever so slowly. You want synthetic materials that provide warmth but either shed water, or dry really fast.

In the States, I would recommend brands such as Cabela's, Duluth Trading, and Carhartt. I confess to ignorance in Canada regarding availability of these or comparable brands. But if you check out their web sites, you will get the idea. The trick is to seek the synthetic or high synthetic blend material, shying away from high or total cotton content.

You do NOT need lined trousers, like with fleece or flannel. If you use these or "over pants," you are carrying dead weight. Walking all day provides enough generated body heat. However, you might consider a second layer, like the panty hose or tights to start off in the morning. Then, if you warm up, remove them in the toilette at your first or second cafe stop of the day.

I hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the list! We are getting a Cabela's locally (too late) next year but there's one about 150 miles from me so I might make a day trip based on your recommendation!

Kali

Kalikat,

You are a lucky girl: you live in Canada.

Take a look at the Sportives Plus website.

Canadian company, many of its items are their own creations, and made in Canada. Price is not inexpensive, but the quality is there, and when on sale they are a super buy. And they have phenomenal prices at the moment.

I wear their walking pants daily: on the Camino or at the dog run.
https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/bas/cherokee-10-zinc.html

Here is the Capri version of them: https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/bas/freedom-10-stone.html

I also have walked the Camino in these tops, but as tech, light and quick drying as they are you can easily pull a thread. Despite that I bought a little black dress recently. It's that good a product.

https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/hauts/sans-manches/pinehurst-turquoise.html

Lately I have been walking in their 25$ T: I can't see it on their website, bit you can ask for it, it has their logo on the back. Mine came in white amd fuscia.

Pant sizes I fond true to size, but I have the waist taken in. Thank you hips! Tops I like to go a size up so love handles don't show.

I also bought the softest leggings and matching top from them for the Camino. Hot something or other. They also have theor own brand now.

My dog run winter coat is their own brand, and I also got a short Columbia jacket last year (thought it would be for a winterish Camino). Go one size up for it. This is the one they made this year to compete with Columbia I guess:
https://www.sportiveplus.com/fr/vetements/exterieur/flake-gris.html

Then, if you don't mind itchy, there is Merino whool. Some say it does not itch, but I find it does, even if it's from IceBreaker. This being said, I tolerate the long sleeve tshirt in a man's cut (not as close to the skin) and undies. But Merino does not dry as quickly as synthetics which can be a problem in winter with chilly albergues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I hadn't even heard of Sportives so I guess coupled with a general hockey ignorance I'm a pretty poor Canadian. :/

Kali

[Edit: THANK YOU for saying so, Merino wool is soooooo itchy I can't stand it, I bought a shirt on the itch-free and stink-resistant testimonials and I literally cannot wear it. No one believed me because it's so famously wonderful. :(]

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all of your help! I didn't want the fleece lined pants for weight reasons, as noted above by the more experienced, but based on the recommendations here I have a few pairs of leggings in the mail and a lot cheaper than expected!

I'll be perusing some more of these links for pants and then I am well on my way to being dressed! I really appreciate all of the responses!

Kali

Thanks a lot for the list! We are getting a Cabela's locally (too late) next year but there's one about 150 miles from me so I might make a day trip based on your recommendation!

Kali

Try Cabela's mail order. Their service is excellent, perhaps unlike Canada Post. But they DO ship to the Maritimes.

Then there is always the option of taking the ferry to Portland, Maine and making the car pilgrimage to L L Bean in Freeport, Maine. They are open, 24 x 7, unless they changed the policy. I did this once when I lived outside Boston, Massachusetts back in the 80s. It was very cool!

Tom

Try Cabela's mail order. Their service is excellent, perhaps unlike Canada Post. But they DO ship to the Maritimes.

Then there is always the option of taking the ferry to Portland, Maine and making the car pilgrimage to L L Bean in Freeport, Maine. They are open, 24 x 7, unless they changed the policy. I did this once when I lived outside Boston, Massachusetts back in the 80s. It was very cool!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately the Portland ferry is off season, I did however make the ten hour South Portland car pilgrimage about a month ago so it's not impossible (just not ideal) to run down to Freeport! I'll have to sell some worldly possessions and see if I can make it back down before the snow. :)

Kali

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.