• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim distances incorrect - needs updating please

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello, currently on the Camino Ingles and just arrived in Betanzos. We popped over here this week after arriving in Sarria on Sunday on our Camino Frances. We used the Wise Pilgrim app constantly on the Camino Frances, but we are finding that the Wise Pilgrim app for the Camino Ingles needs a ton of updating. Just a word to the wary, the distance between Pontedeume and Betanzos is not 14.5km, it is more like 20 and very hilly on hard pavement the entire day. The mile marker in Betanzos is at 65km remaining, not 70.9. I am hoping that this means the long trek up to Hospital de Burma is actually 24km and not 30. Gronze.com appears much more accurate for the Camino Ingles (although I disagree with the difficulty ratings on gronze LOL).

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Send a message to @wisepilgrim - he is very responsive to these reports.
When I found little glitches in the Plata app, @wisepilgrim fixed them within hours and had a replacement version in the Play Store overnight.

In the instance highlighted here, it appears that the distance from A Ponte do Porco to Betanzos (8.3 km) isn't added properly to the cumulative distance from Ferrol. That is an interesting find, and I am sure @wisepilgrim will, as @trecile says, respond quickly if you send him a message or he sees this here.

edit: even quicker than I could type this message, it would seem!!

Hello, currently on the Camino Ingles and just arrived in Betanzos. We popped over here this week after arriving in Sarria on Sunday on our Camino Frances. We used the Wise Pilgrim app constantly on the Camino Frances, but we are finding that the Wise Pilgrim app for the Camino Ingles needs a ton of updating. Just a word to the wary, the distance between Pontedeume and Betanzos is not 14.5km, it is more like 20 and very hilly on hard pavement the entire day. The mile marker in Betanzos is at 65km remaining, not 70.9. I am hoping that this means the long trek up to Hospital de Burma is actually 24km and not 30. Gronze.com appears much more accurate for the Camino Ingles (although I disagree with the difficulty ratings on gronze LOL).

Buen Camino!
Glad to hear someone else who’s wary of the difficulty ratings on Gronze!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The problem here is two-fold. The distance to Santiago from Betanzos ought to be 5.7km shorter than the app says, which means that to get to Betanzos you need to walk 5.7 more that the app will sum to. The second error is the distance between Betanzos and Cos, which was also off 5.7 but in the opposite direction. So you get that back on the way out of Betanzos. The rest of the distances ought to sum correctly.

The fix is in, but it usually takes a day for Apple/Google to get it published.

Thanks everyone for looking out for each other. And to @dreholden my apologies to your feet.

Edit to add: the update is now universally available.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gronze.com appears much more accurate for the Camino Ingles (although I disagree with the difficulty ratings on gronze LOL).
Glad to hear someone else who’s wary of the difficulty ratings on Gronze!
When I walked the Inglés in March 2022, I wrote to Gronze about the 2 star difficulty rating from Pontedeume to Betanzos, I thought it was more likely a 3, and for me, that day was more difficult than por Hospitales on the Primitivo. They (Gronze) very vocally disagreed. Many of the seasoned Peregrinos I met on this Camino also found it more than a 2 star difficulty rating. Seems you guys & others agree.
Just make a pit stop, on this stage, (see picture) before Miño & say Hi to Roció and all will be well!

Attachments

• IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
When I walked the Inglés in March 2022, I wrote to Gronze about the 2 star difficulty rating from Pontedeume to Betanzos, I thought it was more likely a 3, and for me, that day was more difficult than por Hospitales on the Primitivo. They (Gronze) very vocally disagreed. Many of the seasoned Peregrinos I met on this Camino also found it more than a 2 star difficulty rating. Seems you guys & others agree.
Just make a pit stop, on this stage, (see picture) before Miño & say Hi to Roció and all will be well!
Completely agree - having just finished the walk to Hospital de Bruma, I am convinced that the walk from Pontedeume to Betanzos was much more difficult.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Loved this place!

Most "official" "stage" distances are at least hazy, or outright false.

It's mainly from best walking route v. quickest cycling one v. hiking association redefinitions.

Remember though -- the Way of Saint James is NOT passive subjection to any route mandated by a number of yellow arrows.

Certainly the Camino is our Way -- but it is also yours, personally.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Most "official" "stage" distances are at least hazy, or outright false.

It's mainly from best walking route v. quickest cycling one v. hiking association redefinitions.

Remember though -- the Way of Saint James is NOT passive subjection to any route mandated by a number of yellow arrows.

Certainly the Camino is our Way -- but it is also yours, personally.
Okay? Sorry I don’t understand your point.

Assuming that most folks understand that distances are based on some mid-point from town to town, I think it is fair to say that an average pilgrim will use the tools available and still make determinations on their own path/itinerary. We certainly have and just about everyone I have met on two Camino routes does the same. I have yet to meet anyone on the Way who believes there are ‘official’ stages, although I am sure they exist.

I’m not sure where your comment about ‘passive subjection to a route mandated by yellow arrows’ is coming from? Anyone can walk anywhere to get to Santiago is your point, I guess? If so, okay yes agree. But where tools do exist (people do use technology as a modern era mapping tool), should we not try to ensure those tools are accurate?

Buen Camino

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back