• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women needs?

Hello everybody :) I had a question about women/young women equipment :)

My girlfriend and I are doing the camino Frances together this year mid July and August and I really have no clue about what a women might need on the camino -_-.
I have done the camino Frances twice now and have experience with packing .

My backpack is around 6 kilos and her backpack is around 4 including makeup ect, But my question is for the lady's what will you not leave behind or find out something that you really needed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Make up is hardly a necessity on the camino, but summer or winter a good sun block cream/lotion will be most useful for anyone! There are a multitude of pharmacies or farmcias along the CF where various sanitary needs can easily be purchased; these are also found in supermarkets along the way. Over the counter medicine such as ibuprofen or imodium is readily available. Any prescription medicine should be brought from home as well as a copy of the prescription in case an additional supply is needed. If by chance either of you wear glasses a copy of that prescription can be VERY handy in case of breakage.

May you both have a healthy and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ditto to mspath's post. And aside from makeup not being a necessity, who would want to spend any time on it. Besides, anyone monopolizing bathroom space (in short supply as it is) while applying make up will hardly be held in high regard. However, hand cream and a chap stick are must-haves for me. The Vaseline that I took for my feet doubled as hand cream (just a tiny bit will do the job), and my little chap stick, I kept in my pocket.

Yea about the make up :) try to tell her no :) about the medicine I know, I was wondering more about the extras :)
If I read between the lines, are you really asking about things like tampons and feminine pads?

If so, then not to worry. Farmacia's will have those too, or she can pack enough. Beyond that, I'm way out of my league, but it seems to me that personal preference and comfort while walking 20-30KM per day are key factors.

If I read between the lines, are you really asking about things like tampons and feminine pads?

If so, then not to worry. Farmacia's will have those too, or she can pack enough. Beyond that, I'm way out of my league, but it seems to me that personal preference and comfort while walking 20-30KM per day are key factors.

Oh no -_- I'm just asking for like special items that some women with experience on the camino will not go without...mirrors,hair bands or special cloths they like to take for when we are on a day off.

I'm not gonna say no to her make up :) our backpack are light enough to take some with us

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How did you get your packs down to 4 kilos? What is in your pack? Does that include water?

My absolute luxury that I would not go without is a small illuminated 10x magnifying mirror and a pair of good tweezers. I don't worry about makeup but well kept brows are a necessity as far as I am concerned.

I had a sunblock / cream lotion, chapstick and the three in one soap. But then I don't use make-up in real live, just a cleanser, tonic and day/night cream.
Walking in itself makes you glow, no worries about that ;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How did you get your packs down to 4 kilos? What is in your pack? Does that include water?

Well it helps that she is petite :)
After my first camino I realize 12 kilograms is way to much for me to walk comfortable. So the second one I did had only 7 including water.

Everything we are bringing is light weight and we only have a pair if each cloth items. In July as August everything get dry pretty quickly so why take more :), the only extra cloth item she has is a light summer dress for our rest days.
The water is not being counted with the 4 kilos because she will be carrying it in a small heap bag thingy

And I will be carrying the rest of the items for the shower and so fort :)

Thank you all for the ideas

Ps: I'm one of those people that don't even bring socks :) just some great sandals

Last edited:
I'm usually the kind of woman who goes on vacation with a giant suitcase filled with lots of clothes and several pairs of shoes! But its different when carry your vanity on your back...

I start walking on Monday. My beyond-the-essential "girly" luxuries include a tiny pot of eye cream, face lotion with sunblock, hair bands, a hotel-sized bottle of shampoo and leave-in hair conditioner that I added essential oils to keep bugs out of my hair. She may be too young to relish the luxury of eye cream, but if she has long hair, she will probably be unhappy without conditioner. Paul Mitchell leave-in condition can be found on Amazon. I repacked a small amount in a tiny travel bottle. I only need a small dollop in the palm of my hand to handle my long hair. I'll get 2 days out of the shampoo and pick up new bottles along the way. I'm not bringing makeup, but I packed a 5 ounce silk peasant dress to pull on after the end of long day so I can go to dinner in something cool, clean, comfortable, and pretty.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A light weight sarong is super-useful. There are threads about them, but I'd never go without one! It can be a sheet, a cover -up, a pillow case, a shawl, a skirt, wear it when everything else is being washed etc etc !

I think it's worth bringing a hair band/bandana. If you have long hair it's nice keeping hair out of your face on windy days, I have short hair but use a bandana to cover it to stop it from drying out, + it's less dust to wash out. On hot days, I often start with wet hair, and will wet it again if I see an acceptable water source (does not have to be drinking quality for my hair:p ) - it really does make a difference in keeping me cool(er).

Whilst most things are easily available, I'd bring enough tampons/liners to last for a couple of days ( or for whole period if fussy about brands/products) - it won't weigh much, and better than going without.

Last, but not least - toilet paper!!! Both for bars and if you have to use the outdoors (other threads available for how to deal with using the outdoors...)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here in France le look sport est trés chic ! Small fortunes are spent on monthly gym fees, hiking boots are often worn to stroll along the Champs-Élysées in autumn and winter, and multitudes wear designer backpacks. Attitude is all.

My first camino reinforced basic priorities the hard way. In Villadangos del Paramo glanced in a mirror one morning my face appeared tanned and slimmer; I briefly thought ‘not too bad, considering’. 10 km later after crossing the long medieval bridge at Hospital de Órbigo I lost my footing and fell head first onto the irregular pavement! My pack crashed into my right shoulder. Flat on the ground my forehead and shoulder hurt like hell! An egg quickly swelled on my forehead; by day’s end and for the next weeks I resembled Cyclopes.

Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all these years clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

Margaret Meredith

I would say to bring a light weight scarf. In the sweltering heat of July she can drench it at the water fountains and wrap it around her neck or drape it under her hat (like Lawrence of Arabia) for a bit of cool luxury. On a chilly evening she can use it as a mini shawl. On a chilly morning -- it can be a scarf. And if a pack strap is a bother, it can be a bit of extra padding. I think it is worth its weight.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A pair of nail clippers and a good quality but short nail file - I hate 'snagging' nails and also use mine on my toe nails nearly every night on the Camino. This is partly to avoid holes in my socks from overlong nails and partly to make sure that a rough corner doesn't rub the next toe. I don't carry nail scissors.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I posted this on an other thread about men's underwear failing in the course of duty but I think I should re-post it here:

from “A Brief History of Ladies Underwear”
After the fall of Rome women did not usually wear knickers until the 19th century.

From “A Timeline of Underwear”
1800Women begin to wear knickers which were usually open between the legs. At first they are called drawers because they are drawn on.
1860sSome women begin to wear coloured drawers.
1880sIn Britain drawers for women are now called knickers and men's underwear is called pants.
1900Some women are so poor they have to make their knickers from sacks.

If you pretend to be a pre-1800 female pilgrim it could cut down on the weight of your packing list:)

My "happy to have " items on Camino right now in Castrojeriz:

Nail clipper and tweezers.

One cotton or technical headband. - we use them every day. Under hat, or alone.

Benedryl- none in Spain!!

Chap stick or even small tinted gloss - daughter using this.

Big YES to a cotton (light color is best ) scarf- not the dark one you showed.

One dress - using it nightly! So comfy. Patagonia quick dry for me.

Yes- using leggings when colder at night or fashion.

We are two happy females with this list.

Indeed in my case "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall", Proverbs 16:18

Now after all these years clean, matching hiking socks are the height of what I dare consider camino chic.

Margaret Meredith

Very amusing post Margaret - madee laugh.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm in the lightweight cotton sarong brigade.

Tell her she is naturally beautiful and does not need makeup.

I do need a bit of hair taming product or I can't get a comb through. The best one I've ever had my daughter bought on the Camino. It came in a tiny container. Wish I could remember the brand. Bought in a hair salon.

Which, by the way, is my bit of advice - build in the time to let her have a half day at a local hairdresser somewhere along the way, if she wants it. It's a great way to meet the locals (who love the challenge of making a pilgrim look presentable again), contribute to the economy, and make a woman feel relaxed and pampered.

Hehe I make sure to tell her everyday that she's beautiful :), but just to make it clear the make up is only for our days off in the big cities, and it's only like three items :) don't ask me what it's all the same to me

I'm in the lightweight cotton sarong brigade.

Tell her she is naturally beautiful and does not need makeup.

I do need a bit of hair taming product or I can't get a comb through. The best one I've ever had my daughter bought on the Camino. It came in a tiny container. Wish I could remember the brand. Bought in a hair salon.

Which, by the way, is my bit of advice - build in the time to let her have a half day at a local hairdresser somewhere along the way, if she wants it. It's a great way to meet the locals (who love the challenge of making a pilgrim look presentable again), contribute to the economy, and make a woman feel relaxed and pampered.
Kanga, your hair is naturally beautiful and doesn't need a taming product! ;)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everybody :) I had a question about women/young women equipment :)

My girlfriend and I are doing the camino Frances together this year mid July and August and I really have no clue about what a women might need on the camino -_-.
I have done the camino Frances twice now and have experience with packing .

My backpack is around 6 kilos and her backpack is around 4 including makeup ect, But my question is for the lady's what will you not leave behind or find out something that you really needed.
Hello Christian,
I think it is important not to get sunburned. If one has fair skin it doesn't take long under the camino sun! I used sunblock each day and a foundation with SPF 15+. Also wear a good hat that doesn't blow off. Tilley hats are good.
Your girlfriend could also wear a scarf or sarong, as some have suggested to protect the sides of the face when the sun is lower in the sky. A "buff" is good to cover the face too. I also used a buff as a hair band at times.
Leave in conditioner is also a must, but only need a small amount. I put my hair in a single plait each day, so took 2 small covered elastic bands for the purpose. If I didn't tie my hair back it was very knotty from the wind at the end of the day.
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.