• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Women's Underwear Thread(s): Tops n Bottoms

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
Yesterday found me sweating my under-breasts off on a vigorous four-mile hike It occurs to me that all the merino wool shirts in the world aren't going to protect me from smelling bad and feeling soggy if my (expensive) jog bras don't wick and dry fast.

What have you used? My girls aren't huge, but I need the support so I don't want to go commando.

On to bottoms: I have purchased a few pairs of Ex Officios, and they are okay: typical leg with higher waist.

That said, I do wear skirts. I just purchased a pair of merino wool undergarments with a 9' length, and will see how they do. I see that Icebreaker makes some for guys too. Thinking about trying those. What do you use.

I really don't give a rip who responds. Fellas, if you know of something good, feel free to chime in.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used Macpac men's merino underwear last year on the Le Puy route in April-May, as I'd had chaffing before leaving for Le Puy. Apart from my walking buddy dining out at my expense and the odd bit of confusion when guys denied owning them when hospitaleros tried to give the knickers to them, they were great. Pity no one seems to produce women's merinos in anything other than bikini or hipster styles.

Bernice

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Deb, although not very hi-tech or chic, I'm liking Fruit of the Loom Breathable Micromesh underwear -- not the bikini version, but the hi-cut-at-legs with "comfort covered leg openings". Very comfy and quick-dry mesh. I got them at (Wally World) for $9.94 per 4-pack in solid colors.

I wear the same bra that I wear at home and it is quick drying. (Wear one and take one). No sports bra here. I wear exofficio panties.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I like a sports bra but really hate trying to take it off/put on in the small shower stall when I am damp! I Like the comfort and stretch especially to sleep in. Wore my everyday bra on my first camino and found it a little uncomfortable. I love my sports bra that has cotton content but found a nylon wicking bra on line for my winter camino where any trapped sweat can result in hypothermia. It worked well with a merino wool base layer. Probably would work in heat as well. I wore ExOfficio underwear on all caminos - comfy, quick drying.

I have skinny legs so no chafing. I have considered leaving my 300 g breast prosthesis at home and filling the space with something else. However, I decided that is going TOO far with weight watching, so I wear my usual underwear and fake part so that I feel normal. (Is this TMI, by any chance? :eek: Maybe I should remove my photo.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wore my normal nylon underwired bra and had a spare to change into for evenings. Unless I'd got very sweaty I wore a bra twice. They dried pretty quickly but I didn't care about pinning them to my backpack to dry if required.

Unless you are wearing a skirt, like the Macabi, regular undies. Regular bra. With SportsGlide rubbed inder the breast and groin area. I will forever avoid Tilley's undies as on Camino 1 they caused a very deep groove in groin area due to the super thick seams. Not fun, super painful.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am taking my favorite Ibex merino wool bras: I cycle [and sweat] in these all the time; they're the most comfortable! Stretchy, but give adequate support [C], although I wouldn't jog in them. And Stoic brand merino boy-shorts to wear with my Macabi skirt (or at bedtime) plus a couple pair of Ex Officio quick-dry.

PS This time next week I hope to be fast asleep at Orisson....!

I have skinny legs so no chafing. I have considered leaving my 300 g breast prosthesis at home and filling the space with something else. However, I decided that is going TOO far with weight watching, so I wear my usual underwear and fake part so that I feel normal. (Is this TMI, by any chance? :eek: Maybe I should remove my photo.)
Love you too much, Clare. You rock those TMI bits, and keep smiling!

Someone on another post asked about what luxury item pilgrims can't do without. Well my luxury item is Sports Suds weighing 200 gm. I've been using it to wash my workout clothes this summer and I think it's keeping the bacteria count down. 400 gm does 40 loads of wash using 1 tablespoon of detergent per load. So I think I'll use a tsp for hand washing. At this point I can't afford to replace my clothes with wool items so this is my solution.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I took one sports bra, which was very comfortable, and one other normal nylon one and wore each for two days before washing. Re knickers, I took three quick drying briefs from Kathmandhu, and they drove me insane with the dreaded 'creep'. They might as well have been thongs! So much so that I went shopping when I got to Logrono. I found a couple of pairs of mens' boxer-type underpants in a stretchy knit fabric, and they were wonderful. I can't find any labels, but on one waistband it says 'Yuhao' and the other 'Uomo'. For comfort I can very much recommend them.

Same bra as for home - find it dries quickly (unlike most sports bras) and is comfy. Bottoms - under pants I wear my normal (silk) nickers. Under hiking skirts I wear long-leg wicking boy shorts - cheap things bought on eBay that proved fine on the Norte.

I have just consigned my faithful merino wool pants to the bin, having served me well during 3,000 km's of camino and countless walks and horse riding in between. They were very far from attractive, but excellent in every other way. I will be replacing them with more merino wool so this thread will be useful for recommendations. I have worn sports bras but they have not been very fast drying and will also look to find a merino replacement.

I would however put in a recommendation not to take white underwear as it is very difficult to keep sparkling white with hand washing.

And, as a point of interest, I purchased a cup of washing machine detergent but then decided I didn't want to wait for the washing machine to become free, so hand washed my clothes with the detergent. I have to say they came up much cleaner and fresher than they did with the bar of soap I normally used. I shall take an amount of detergent on my next camino.

@C clearly, I also love your humorous information. My mind was working overtime thinking about what you could fill that space with! x

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sports bras. Walk - shower - change into the other sports bra - handwash - dry overnight or on backpack or wrapped in microfibre towel - repeat. Panties just regular quick drying. Agree that whites are not practical. Had all my underwear bright red, could use as swimming bikini.

I haven't done my camino yet (less than 2 weeks to go…), so please take this FWIW. I purchased 2 sets of Icebreaker merino boy shorts and sports bras with racerback. I have worn them on approximately 6 training walks of up to 20 miles each recently in the warm Pacific Northwest summer, so there was a fair amount of sweat happening.

Underwear: no chafing, no wedgies - v. good. (I did have chafing with a set of my everyday underwear on an earlier training walk, which is what prompted this purchase).

Bra: comfortable to sit around afterwards and my body did not get chilled. (with regular sports bras I definitely get chilled when they are soaked in sweat after hikes or runs).

I have hand-washed both a few times to test how fast they dry. The undies dry overnight no problem. The bras take longer as they are double-layered.

Cheers!
Araz

Bra: comfortable to sit around afterwards and my body did not get chilled. (with regular sports bras I definitely get chilled when they are soaked in sweat after hikes or runs).
The trick is that after the walk you don't sit around in sweaty clothes: shower and change. Makes a world of difference.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The trick is that after the walk you don't sit around in sweaty clothes: shower and change. Makes a world of difference.

Tricky when it’s communal showers, and you’ve just seen 4 burly European men walk in there in their speedos, with just a towel over the shoulder :p

Better to go get a beer until the showers are free :D

So off topic question here ... when you say communal showers, do you mean one big open room like a gym shower or do you mean not gender specific but individual stalls with privacy ?? Just curious. I don't mind showering in a non-gender specific shower room with individual stalls, may draw the line at everyone showering together in one big open area.

So off topic question here ... when you say communal showers, do you mean one big open room like a gym shower or do you mean not gender specific but individual stalls with privacy ?? Just curious. I don't mind showering in a non-gender specific shower room with individual stalls, may draw the line at everyone showering together in one big open area.
I was a little surprised by this as well. In Lugo you have a big ceramic "enclosure" with a number of showerheads, but it's not coed. And when I say enclosure I lie as there is no door, no curtain, it is open onto the main part of the bathroom, with a lovely view to and from the hallway when that door is open ;0)

In Pobena (Norte) there is a bathroom with 2 showerheads facing eachother at the back. This is coed but there are curtains between the main room and the shower area and in between the two showerheads.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here's what we did in Cambodia: a sarong is sewn together at the width ends. Step into it (or whatever), pull it tight to your body, then loop it in and fold it. Shower in a sarong. They dry fast, you are covered, and then they hang and drip dry fast. Just a thought.

Hi, some albergues have mixed ablutions, for men and women, with the toilets and showers each having their own cubicle. However, occasionally there is no door on the shower (e.g. Xunta albergue in Palas de Rei when I was there), or just a flimsy curtain that wafts around in the breeze. The guys in their itsy bitsy speedos happened to me at the municipal in Fromista; my sister and I took one look and headed for the bar. On arriving at the Xunta albergue in Ribadiso, we asked if they had separate showers for men and women, as we hadn’t washed for 2 days. It was November, it was freezing cold, but that hot shower was fantastic.

Yesterday found me sweating my under-breasts off on a vigorous four-mile hike It occurs to me that all the merino wool shirts in the world aren't going to protect me from smelling bad and feeling soggy if my (expensive) jog bras don't wick and dry fast.

What have you used? My girls aren't huge, but I need the support so I don't want to go commando.

On to bottoms: I have purchased a few pairs of Ex Officios, and they are okay: typical leg with higher waist.

That said, I do wear skirts. I just purchased a pair of merino wool undergarments with a 9' length, and will see how they do. I see that Icebreaker makes some for guys too. Thinking about trying those. What do you use.

I really don't give a rip who responds. Fellas, if you know of something good, feel free to chime in.
A generic reply to several comment here: Re sports bras, last year on the Frances I had running bras with adjustable (but really thick) straps. After the first day, I discovered that the pack straps were on top of the bra straps and together digging in deep, so went commando until the end of walking. Not the most comfortable, but beats a pressure sore. This year, on the Portugues, I had cheapie $10 nylon sports bras for low impact activities from Target. The tiny racerback straps were almost never under the pack straps, they dried very quickly, and two weighed hardly anything. Wore them all the time.
Re: chafing, I have only rarely had chafing from undies. (But let's not talk about sopping wet crotch-seam stitching!) I have had good luck with both the Ex Officio ones and with old Barely There breathables. Sadly, can't find much of the latter around for replacements. I might try the boyshort type in the future if we do it again, maybe that will protect the upper inner leg from the pants seams.
Re: detergent, yes it's better than soap, but I think if we do it again I'll carry a little bit of Mexican laundry bar as well as the detergent--for extra work on the stains. Though it's possible nothing will remove the road colored marks on the ankles of my light gray Injinjis.
Best to all...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, some albergues have mixed ablutions, for men and women, with the toilets and showers each having their own cubicle. However, occasionally there is no door on the shower (e.g. Xunta albergue in Palas de Rei when I was there), or just a flimsy curtain that wafts around in the breeze. The guys in their itsy bitsy speedos happened to me at the municipal in Fromista; my sister and I took one look and headed for the bar. On arriving at the Xunta albergue in Ribadiso, we asked if they had separate showers for men and women, as we hadn’t washed for 2 days. It was November, it was freezing cold, but that hot shower was fantastic.
Ah, the gang showers. I encountered those for the first time this year on the Portugues. Girls-only, in Ponte de Lima. It reminded me of junior high school. I prefer cubicles, but the cubicles at Ponferrada last year fronted onto a row of urinals (in the coed bathroom) and I couldn't face the thought. It's possible the outside shower space there is different, though.

I wear my normal non-wired bra, synthetic and with no cotton. The few times i have worn my cotton rich bras I have found that they hold any sweat and go cold and clammy, so not for the Camino. Knickers are synthetic too.
The showers at Mino on the Inglés were 3 sided cubicles and the middle one was in full view when the door into the room was opened. The side ones were more private as the toilet and wash basin walls shielded them. I think the men's side had the same arrangement. Walk the Camino, see life :)

Patagonia panties!!! Light weight, no chafing, and quick drying.

@C clearly I plan to take a small mesh bag (the kind for washing delicates in the machine) that I can pin to my backpack. The prosthetic can dry in it during the day without providing everyone on the trail with TMI! What do you think?

Heading to Spain on September 1, 2015! See you on the Camino!!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The prosthetic can dry in it during the day
I'm puzzled - I wouldn't take it if I didn't want to wear it every day! Anyway, it doesn't need to dry, being silicone or something like that. I do take a second bra so that I always have one to wear. Going without would definitely be TMI for me, as would communal showers!

I'm puzzled - I wouldn't take it if I didn't want to wear it every day! Anyway, it doesn't need to dry, being silicone or something like that. I do take a second bra so that I always have one to wear. Going without would definitely be TMI for me, as would communal showers!
No kidding! I am not so keen on going Greek with the team....

I'm looking at the Icebreaker Sprite Racer Bra.....here's a review on it that I found:

December 17, 2014
I started out the Camino with the Sprite and one other back-up sports bra(non Icebreaker), Since backpack weight is critical,I quickly ditched the second one and never regretted it for the next 5 weeks of 20-30 KM days in the heat, rain, and cold. I even wore it swimming. No chaffing, the straps are comfortable and it dries super quick. The medium is perfect for my 36A size.If I wear any other bra I feel like I am wearing armor. This bra is SO comfortable, I wear it to yoga, everyday activities and lounging.I am an absolute convert to the Sprite and feel it is worth every penny...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While it is mainly just ladies on this thread, (I hope) do any of you bring those nifty plastic funnel things so you can pee standing up? If so, do you like them, are they worth buying?
I priced them in the sports store in Germany because it seemed like a good thing to have, but they were 25 €. Seems a lot for a small piece of plastic.

Not planning on wearing any kind of different undies or bras than what I normally wear. Do women really wear their bras to sleep in when overnighting in the albergues?

If you are thinking of taking a sports bra, do practice a few times in a tiny shower cubicle, drying yourself with whatever towel you plan to take and putting on your sports bra while holding the towel between your knees because there's nowhere else to put it. Waiting until your body air dries is not acceptable because others are waiting.

I don't wear my bra to sleep because I just don't feel as comfy in my sleeping bag and I prefer to have "pyjamas" (a spare set of long underwear, which I need anyway for an October-November camino). I carry my clothes (across my chest!) to the toilet in the morning and dress there. Since, I'm not trying to rush out the door before dawn I don't need to wear my walking clothes to bed.

I cannot imagine bothering to carry or use one of those plastic funnels for peeing. Squatting is not too hard, it's faster and probably less prone to accidents. Use the lightest-weight pantyliner to catch drips and reduce use of toilet paper.

While it is mainly just ladies on this thread, (I hope) do any of you bring those nifty plastic funnel things so you can pee standing up? If so, do you like them, are they worth buying?
I priced them in the sports store in Germany because it seemed like a good thing to have, but they were 25 €. Seems a lot for a small piece of plastic.

Not planning on wearing any kind of different undies or bras than what I normally wear. Do women really wear their bras to sleep in when overnighting in the albergues?
I do own an FUD (female urination device), and I generally like it while I'm in a public-ish hiking place with too many people around for me to feel comfortable slipping off the trail , pulling down the britches, and taking a quick pee.

The pro's of the FUD as follows:
1. works well
2. plastic, so easy to rinse off or shake a la dude style

Con's as follows:
1. do you really want to have to worry about placing it exactly, which involves unzipping and getting it there? what if you are in a bit of a hurry? hope you're wearing quick dry!
2. If you're wearing lots of clothes (pants) or if clothes are snug and not stretchy, it can be a bit of a challenge.
3. then you are packing it around....in a plastic wrap, of course.

I think it's handy enough and I have to urinate frequently enough so that I may actually bring it, as it is uber light (plastic funnel and tube). Jury is still out on it though.

You will have an easier time taking a quick pee if you're in a hiking skirt, unless you're layering 6" merino wool undies underneath too.

So many considerations, but be comfortable and you will be fine. I learned a long time ago that bodily functions were nothing to be embarrassed about, and my plans are to be as respectful, clean and discreet as possible!

Sleeping in albuerges, I will probably be dressed at night for "on the trail" in the morning---wearing at least a jogging bra, undies, and t shirt if not more. That's just me. Many people sleep with no problem in night shirts, et cetera. That's not me in a group setting, but I think you should be comfortable, and I've read of women in flannel pajamas, t shirts and undies, and even fancier gowns!

My walk begins 9/28, and I haven't been to Spain yet, but my ideas and habits are based on months of backpacking around SE Asia as well as doing backpacking in the Cascade mountains of Oregon and Washington (and California). I am glad to be approaching my pilgrimage!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One other consideration, with respect to peeing in private, is what time of year you are walking. I have only walked in mid-October-November when it is not at all hard to find an opportunity to get out of sight for a quick pee. Perhaps during the busier months when there are hordes on the trail, it would be more difficult at times and the FUD might be worth carrying.

I always wear nylon briefs, since they dry so fast, but occasionally they may feel a bit humid. Hence, what the Spanish call "salvaslips" - pantyliners. They're also nice if you have to squat somewhere beside the path, with just a little bit of shaking I don't feel I need toilet paper. (I do carry some in an accessible pocket, in a double plastic bag, and carry it with me in one of the bags if I end up having to use some. People who leave TP on the camino have my undying hatred.)

I always wear nylon briefs, since they dry so fast, but occasionally they may feel a bit humid. Hence, what the Spanish call "salvaslips" - pantyliners. They're also nice if you have to squat somewhere beside the path, with just a little bit of shaking I don't feel I need toilet paper. (I do carry some in an accessible pocket, in a double plastic bag, and carry it with me in one of the bags if I end up having to use some. People who leave TP on the camino have my undying hatred.)
Leave nothing but footprints; take nothing but memories!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The guys in their itsy bitsy speedos happened to me at the municipal in Fromista; my sister and I took one look and headed for the bar.
I know I'm dumb blonde but here I don't get how one is better (or worse) than the other.

I'm looking at the Icebreaker Sprite Racer Bra.....here's a review on it that I found:

December 17, 2014
I started out the Camino with the Sprite and one other back-up sports bra(non Icebreaker), Since backpack weight is critical,I quickly ditched the second one and never regretted it for the next 5 weeks of 20-30 KM days in the heat, rain, and cold. I even wore it swimming. No chaffing, the straps are comfortable and it dries super quick. The medium is perfect for my 36A size.If I wear any other bra I feel like I am wearing armor. This bra is SO comfortable, I wear it to yoga, everyday activities and lounging.I am an absolute convert to the Sprite and feel it is worth every penny...

@CaminoDebrita - that is the style that I purchased, 2 pairs of the Sprite bras, and 2 pairs of the matching boy shorts. I have not experienced any pressure issues from the straps with my pack on for several long training walks. I find them very comfortable, and happy to have undies that are both cute & functional for my camino. Do be aware, though, that because the bra is double-layered it takes longer than the shorts to dry. My bra does not dry overnight, and will require hanging off my pack. Just my experience - ymmv.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A friend of mine wore workout tops with a built in shelf bra when she walked the Camino which I thought was a great idea. She said they worked like a charm as they wick away moisture and keep you dry while giving support, and negates the need to pack separate bras.

A friend of mine wore workout tops with a built in shelf bra when she walked the Camino which I thought was a great idea. She said they worked like a charm as they wick away moisture and keep you dry while giving support, and negates the need to pack separate bras.
I've got three of those, one by Prana--Prana's is great, the Nike ones are not so comfortable.

I got two pair of Merino Wool shorts and two merino jog bras that I'll take---both field tested now. Pretty good. The problem with the merino Jog's is that they have a stretchy band at the bottom, but you really need some fabric between the girls and the midriff to wick the sweat, which is wear that occurs. I am going to get creative, but will need to hit the fabric store. Of course, October won't be as hot in Spain as it is here in the PAC Nw in Oregon in August.....or will it be? I will be prepared!

... the middle one was in full view when the door into the room was opened...
Reminds me of some of the restrooms at Madrid-Barajas Airport that I walked by. Men's rooms with the main doors propped open with full view of guys using the urinals~

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Title Nine has great bras for all sizes that are wicking. I got fitted by a “ Bravangelist” and then ordered online. My fave is called Hallelujah. Really!

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.