• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OK guys, what underwear?

How do you find the sizing? You look fairly trim (at least from the neck up on your photo). I’m fairly heavily built 200lbs, bought a pair of XL and I could have got a close friend in there with me!
Had to laugh when I read your post. First off, the photo is about 25 years old, although I've only added about 10 pounds of fat since then (always working on that last 10 pounds).

I generally wear a size 34 pants and find the medium size brief a good fit for me. Same goes for other brands of underwear, sweats, gym shorts, etc. A medium size generally fits me best. So I would say order the same size brief you would normally purchase.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
How do you find the sizing?
On this webpage there is a "What's my size" tool near where you select your size for ordering. It asks your height, weight, age and pant size for various brands and gives you a guess.

It selected a Large (36-38) for me probably based mostly on my Levis size (34/32) and advanced age :-( but I'm totally comfortable in my snug Mediums (32-34).

I'm confused; is it Mediums or Media?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some years back I bought a bunch of different brands as I tried to find good running underwear, including some very pricey ones.
As some others have said, I found and settled on Saxx. It's all I have now and used them on all my Caminos and a few months back on the Kumano Kodo.
I found first performance is very good, but also wear, drying, and price to win out over others.

As we are avid hikers and walk several miles a day, I have tried various kinds of underwear. I just can't find anything as comfortable and regular old cotton briefs. But, 5 weeks on the Camino means cotton might be not awesome at all. Do tell... What should I be looking for. I tried "Smart Wool" and no bueno... The cut is useless. I tried moisture wicking from Adidas. They are OK, not bad. But, not as comfortable as cotton.

What's your trusted brand, etc.. for mens underwear on the Camino? I'm tired of spending money for items that aren't good.
The only thing that annoyed me during my first Camino were the useless mens underwear that I had purchased. Since then, I have walked another three Caminos wearing Lulu Lemon's "lockdowns" (real name). - they are supportive, non-irritating and dry quickly. They do however come in two leg lengths and I prefer the boxer to the cycle pant length.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As we are avid hikers and walk several miles a day, I have tried various kinds of underwear. I just can't find anything as comfortable and regular old cotton briefs. But, 5 weeks on the Camino means cotton might be not awesome at all. Do tell... What should I be looking for. I tried "Smart Wool" and no bueno... The cut is useless. I tried moisture wicking from Adidas. They are OK, not bad. But, not as comfortable as cotton.

What's your trusted brand, etc.. for mens underwear on the Camino? I'm tired of spending money for items that aren't good.
I like these but they take forever to dry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240221-184331.png
    Screenshot_20240221-184331.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Smart wool merino or decathlon merino boxers. Moisture wicking, quick to dry and natural odour control. If facilities are sparse I know I can wear them a couple of days without any hygiene issues 😜

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I was a little worried about wearing wool for underwear but I bought Saxx black sheep merino wool boxers for my camino. it was cold my first day walking over the Pyrenees in May and hot in Fisterra and Madrid at the end of June when my Camino was finished. They performed great in the cold and heat and no chafing.

I wear Marks &Spencers cotton boxer shorts and haven't had a problem. They dry quickly enough too. One thing I would say is to have different colours, otherwise you lose track of which one needs washing and can end up getting confused if you can't differentiate between the two. I bring only 2 pairs, one "live" and one ready to wash and change every second day. I've got away with it so far 👃

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I saw that Patagonia was on sale at REI so I pulled the trigger on those. Apparently they have done their homework on this topic.

About 15 years ago I ditched the tighty whities for Duluth Buck Naked Boxers (not boxer briefs). I use them for gym workouts, bicycling, traveling around the world, construction work on 100+ F days, camping, skiing, etc. Once in an albergue shower, I forgot my towel, but had on the boxers. Turned out they were easy to wring out and were very absorbent. They also had more area than the $14 REI space aged micro fiber rag I bought. Now I don't bother bringing any towel on Camino, just the one pair of boxers I wear during the day, and the second clean pair to change into once I wash out the boxers in the shower. Then use them for washcloth. When finished, wring dry and wipe down. Repeat 2-3 more times and I am done. I have used for shorts in albergues and on the way to the beach, and swim for swim trunks at the beach. I tested them as emergency hat/buff/bug screen, but have not utilized this capability yet.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am a female however just wore my breathable cotton undies that I wear at home. Took 3 pairs plus the ones I wear. Had no problem drying them. If still damp, just placed them in the springs of the upper bunk or hung them on the rails.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.