• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zero Shoes (sandals)

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
I should start this by saying I'm a fan of both Teva and Keen sandals. But in an attempt to reduce weight I was window-shopping lightweight sandals online and stumbled across Zero Shoes.

I was tempted by the promise of comfy trail walking and super light ... So I thought I'd give them a try.

I've had them 4 days and I've put them on when I get up and take them off when I go to bed... Almost :rolleyes:

image.jpeg

They are very comfortable and I think I'll take them as my second shoe... And not too expensive either?

http://xeroshoes.co.uk/xero-shoes-umara-ztrail.html

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
They look very interesting. Have you tried them on a long walk yet?

No, not yet @Kanga but I've been shopping and doing chores so on my feet all day. It's hot at the moment and I've not had socks on with them... But still comfy and no hotspots.

The website has great templates for sizing too, which was a brilliant idea... Wish all shoe makers would do this!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I purchased a pair of Zero Shoes a couple of months ago, I haven't worn them much yet, but I decided to buy some Teva sandals with more support.

I bought some Zeros too, thinking the lightweight would be a plus. I ended up taking Tevas, since I wasn't sure I could walk long distances in the Zeros--they have no arch support. I was happy with the Tevas I took, but some folks swear by these ultralight sandals. I agree with other posters, wear them on a long walk and see how you do. If your regular hiking shoes end up giving you trouble, you may need to rely on your sandals.

Hi folks... I'm still wearing my xero shoes :D

I went for a walk today, albeit along the river so flat and easy... And only for an hour... But I still find them comfy. But I am a barefoot kind of girl. Before my Teva sandals I spent much of my time in adidas flip flops.

My plan is to take this sandal as a second shoe... And wear off Camino when we finish for the day ... Or on Camino if the paths aren't too bad. I have my lovely wide fit Keen walking shoes and will use these (I hope) in the most part.

I've taken keen newports as spare shoes on my last two caminos but they did spend most of the time in my bag... So for me I think the saving in weight is really advantageous... But I appreciate for some these shoes just may not be right. :rolleyes:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
But doesn't one need waterproof shoes as well? I am walking from mid September, from SJPDP to Santiago, all being well.

@MegH ... These are going to (maybe) be my spare/evening/second/shoes/sandal.

I've got heavier shoes that I walk in and was planning to take my Teva sandals (I also love these) but they are heavy as an alternative (for me anyway).

I stumbled across these and bought a pair... I posted as folks often ask about shoes such as lightweight crocs... So these are just another alternative option... We all have different needs of course... But I'd not seen these before and I am really impressed so far. :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@MegH you will find two schools of thought on waterproof shoes. Some people think they are a necessity when the path is wet and muddy. They love their waterproof shoes and are happy with them. Some of us (like me) think differently. In a heavy downpour water gets into my shoes no matter how waterproof, and in heat my feet sweat so the shoes get wet from the inside. Waterproof shoes I find hot and uncomfortable. The lining breaks down. They take a long time to dry out. In contrast I have found light breathable shoes (runners) without waterproofing "walk dry".

You also need to consider the weather. It is always unpredictable on the Camino Frances, but of all the months September is probably the most settled. It can get very hot in September. You may get lucky and walk the whole Camino without one day of rain.

Personally, I'd go for comfort. Nowadays I wear sandals. I carry a pair of waterproof breathable socks for emergency wear if it is very cold.

@MegH you will find two schools of thought on waterproof shoes. Some people think they are a necessity when the path is wet and muddy. They love their waterproof shoes and are happy with them. Some of us (like me) think differently. In a heavy downpour water gets into my shoes no matter how waterproof, and in heat my feet sweat so the shoes get wet from the inside. Waterproof shoes I find hot and uncomfortable. The lining breaks down. They take a long time to dry out. In contrast I have found light breathable shoes (runners) without waterproofing "walk dry".

You also need to consider the weather. It is always unpredictable on the Camino Frances, but of all the months September is probably the most settled. It can get very hot in September. You may get lucky and walk the whole Camino without one day of rain.

Personally, I'd go for comfort. Nowadays I wear sandals. I carry a pair of waterproof breathable socks for emergency wear if it is very cold.
Sandals?! I'm starting my first Camino Frances on Sept. 5. I think I'm in Shoe Hell! I have tried 5 different shoes the last 2 months trying to find one that feels good. I have a wide toe box, but medium width. I tried the Altra, for it's wide toe box, but it just didn't seem to provide much support and gave me a low backache. I am getting so discouraged and not training enough, because I can't settle on a pair of shoes!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@sbauc i feel your pain!

I have wide feet 27cm long and 27cm around... And in Europe and France finding wide shoes is not easy. I bought. Several pairs for my first Camino and still got it wrong... And bought some salomons in Estella and they worked well. I bought wide fit Keens for this trip but I do also love my Teva sandals. I have considered taking my Tevas as my main shoe... But in the end decided to stick with the boots... But I have seen folks walking the CF in Tevas so this could be an option? .Good luck!,

@sbauc it is only a suggestion - everyone's body is different, everyone's foot structure is different, and there are factors like weight of body, weight of pack, age, injury - so what suits me might not suit you. But I love my Ecco OffRoad hiking sandals (I think in the States they are called Yucatan) in a mens size. I also like the look of the Teva Terra Fi-Lite, but they don't seem to fit me as well.

Last edited:
Sandals?! I'm starting my first Camino Frances on Sept. 5. I think I'm in Shoe Hell! I have tried 5 different shoes the last 2 months trying to find one that feels good. I have a wide toe box, but medium width. I tried the Altra, for it's wide toe box, but it just didn't seem to provide much support and gave me a low backache. I am getting so discouraged and not training enough, because I can't settle on a pair of shoes!!
I have wide feet and problem big toes from sports injuries, and I walked the Camino very happily, with no blister or foot problems, in New Balance 1080V5 running shoes. They have good traction, and mesh toppers that dry quickly. You can put in a different pair of insoles, but the ones they came with were fine for me. I got them from Zappos online, which has free returns. I also sized them one larger than my normal shoe, and used a liner and wool sock. Also applied a light coating of a vaseline type cream every morning, and aired my feet out at least once during the day. All of these things combined (plus a low pack weight and poles) kept my feet and me happy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked sjpp to Santiago 2014 Sept Oct... and have similar feet and always in shoe helll as one foot larger since walking. My Lowa boots died in Burgos with nasty blisters and more and I wore out my Tevas in days ...bought Salomon walkers half size bigger in wide width and finished in them. Shipped the boots to Leon. I still can't wear them now even though they were perfect as new boots the last month before my trip. I am still wearing the Salmon Walkers in 2016...waterproof and with pull wire and even work in them. Still can't find a new boot....

to Santiago Sept Oct 2014

Thank you, Islandjoe. Today I will be trying out a pair of Ahnu hiking shoes. I'm so glad the store lets me return shoes after wearing them! Hopefully this will be THE ONES.

Thank you, Islandjoe. Today I will be trying out a pair of Ahnu hiking shoes. I'm so glad the store lets me return shoes after wearing them! Hopefully this will be THE ONES.
The last week on Camino I used bag balm ... you can buy on line or at farm stores too (used on cow teets) ...this is much better than Vaseline. Put a lot on in morning then sock and shoe ... fantastic... your feet will love you !!
Next Camino I will use it everyday!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I should start this by saying I'm a fan of both Teva and Keen sandals. But in an attempt to reduce weight I was window-shopping lightweight sandals online and stumbled across Zero Shoes.

I was tempted by the promise of comfy trail walking and super light ... So I thought I'd give them a try.

I've had them 4 days and I've put them on when I get up and take them off when I go to bed... Almost :rolleyes:

View attachment 27792

They are very comfortable and I think I'll take them as my second shoe... And not too expensive either?

http://xeroshoes.co.uk/xero-shoes-umara-ztrail.html

Horses for courses. Sandals fine as 2nd pair back up. For me personally boots or trekking shoes. On 14 caminos no blisters over 10000 km. I wore my echo sandals for an hour town walking and got massive blister on bottom of foot. I bring sketchers as back up. Very light Buen camino

The last week on Camino I used bag balm ... you can buy on line or at farm stores too (used on cow teets) ...this is much better than Vaseline. Put a lot on in morning then sock and shoe ... fantastic... your feet will love you !!
Next Camino I will use it everyday!
Thank you. I have a farm store nearby and will consider. Not sure what to think. I read in some articles not to use vaseline/creams on feet and then others say to generously apply it. Have also been told that Body Glide is better than vaseline. Six one way...half dozen the other!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am an avid hiker and walker and always got blisters no matter what I did. I thought it was something I had to live with. On my Camino in 2014, I bought women's Keene low hiking shoes, a full size larger than my usual street shoes. No blisters! I used a thin liner sock and a heavier hiking sock. If I felt a hot spot coming on I put on bandaid on the spot before walking the next day. I found that during the Camino walk my feet seemed to flatten, broaden and lengthen. Maybe that sounds crazy but I believe the larger, naturally wider Keene's were a miracle answer for me. I hope you find the shoe/system that works best for you. Buen Camino.

I am an avid hiker and walker and always got blisters no matter what I did. I thought it was something I had to live with. On my Camino in 2014, I bought women's Keene low hiking shoes, a full size larger than my usual street shoes. No blisters! I used a thin liner sock and a heavier hiking sock. If I felt a hot spot coming on I put on bandaid on the spot before walking the next day. I found that during the Camino walk my feet seemed to flatten, broaden and lengthen. Maybe that sounds crazy but I believe the larger, naturally wider Keene's were a miracle answer for me. I hope you find the shoe/system that works best for you. Buen Camino.
I actually have been trying a pair of Keen low hiking shoes with the wide, rounded toe box but it is causing a sharp shooting pain in the ball of my big toe on one foot. Otherwise, they feel great. Go figure.

I wore my echo sandals for an hour town walking and got massive blister on bottom of foot. I bring sketchers as back up. Very light Buen camino

yep... me too!

Well not quite but I have been doing a little experiment over the last 4 days... walking the same circuit around our house... rough stoney ground with 120m elevation up and down and with a little road walking thrown in for good measure... 4.2km so it's about an hour walking.

Day 1 - Keen's (discovered that my feet have shrunk as I've lost weight (22kg) so now the shoes are too big
Day 2 - Salomon's GTX Ultra - I've worn these on my last 2 camino's and they were great then but they are also too big now
Day 3 - Teva Terra... I bought these for a holiday in February and have lived in them almost all the time since... they worked like a dream
Day 4 - Xero shoes - I've been wearing these as a sandal for the last week and loved them but on the trail they were no good. I didn't feel any stones underfoot but my foot moved too much side to side and I've got a small blister coming on the ball of my left foot and a hotspot on the right.

So Teva's won hands down... although thats a little unfair on the Keen's and Salomons as my foot has shrunk so they are just too big for me.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
yep... me too!

Well not quite but I have been doing a little experiment over the last 4 days... walking the same circuit around our house... rough stoney ground with 120m elevation up and down and with a little road walking thrown in for good measure... 4.2km so it's about an hour walking.

Day 1 - Keen's (discovered that my feet have shrunk as I've lost weight (22kg) so now the shoes are too big
Day 2 - Salomon's GTX Ultra - I've worn these on my last 2 camino's and they were great then but they are also too big now
Day 3 - Teva Terra... I bought these for a holiday in February and have lived in them almost all the time since... they worked like a dream
Day 4 - Xero shoes - I've been wearing these as a sandal for the last week and loved them but on the trail they were no good. I didn't feel any stones underfoot but my foot moved too much side to side and I've got a small blister coming on the ball of my left foot and a hotspot on the right.

So Teva's won hands down... although thats a little unfair on the Keen's and Salomons as my foot has shrunk so they are just too big for me.
Are you referring to the Teva Terra Fi Lite sandals? Do you wear them with socks or just barefoot? I tried out a pair of Ahnu shoes today. No pain in arch or ball of toe, but got my first small blister on heel!

Are you referring to the Teva Terra Fi Lite sandals? Do you wear them with socks or just barefoot? I tried out a pair of Ahnu shoes today. No pain in arch or ball of toe, but got my first small blister on heel!

I bought a pair of Men's Terras Fi 4.. not the light version. I bought my real size and I have worn them day after day after day for months but this is the first real test on trail conditions. I expected it to be a problem as there are lots of small lose stone on this walk but they were great. I walked without socks but I think I might consider wearing some liners to help prevent blisters for longer walks.

I still think I would prefer to take a shoe as well as the Teva... and i've emailed them to ask about the lite version... but I was surprised at how good my feet felt at the end of the walk. I'm keen to take them on a longer trip now. Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought a pair of Men's Terras Fi 4.. not the light version. I bought my real size and I have worn them day after day after day for months but this is the first real test on trail conditions. I expected it to be a problem as there are lots of small lose stone on this walk but they were great. I walked without socks but I think I might consider wearing some liners to help prevent blisters for longer walks.

I still think I would prefer to take a shoe as well as the Teva... and i've emailed them to ask about the lite version... but I was surprised at how good my feet felt at the end of the walk. I'm keen to take them on a longer trip now. Hope this helps.
Yes, it does help. I will look into them. Thank you!

I wore this boot
http://www.paddypallin.com.au/teva-riva-peak-mid-event-waterproof-boot-womens.html

on the Kokoda Trail recently. It has a wide toe box. I normally wear a size 8.5 (Australia), but wore a US 10 in this boot to allow for the "rule of thumb" (extra room of a thumb's width from the longest toe).
I usually find my heel slips in boots but these had a narrower heel, and therefore were a great fit for me.
Didn't seem to need breaking in either - were comfortable from day 1.
Although they are a bit weighty, I am thinking of using them on the Camino as I have so much trouble getting shoes for my wide feet.
I figure "tried & tested" is the way to go.

The down side is, I'm not sure how readily available they are.
I do have a brand new size 10.5 (US) I will probably sell. I figure it would suit someone who normally takes a 9-9.5, but wants extra toe room to allow for swelling, downhill walks etc.
(I bought both sizes to see which worked best. Only had the 10.5 on for 10 minutes before deciding it would be too big)

Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
For a 'modern' take on the Viet Minh and Masai solutions to footwear, you might try Vibram 5fingers.

My walking companion on the Frances last year reported a woman walking barefoot, which picqued my curiosity, as I was wearing heavy leather 3-season boots, and not comfortably. Looking for alternative footwear for our next walk on the Ingles this year I found the 5fingers.
Closest you can get to barefoot, and almost as light as a feather.
And I found a size to fit my feet which I couldn't do with conventional boots/shoes without being silly with socks.

They do let you feel every impact on your feet, including blades of grass between the toes, and are not waterproof - but it never bothered me. No blisters either, whereas with the boots ...
Unlike sandals they don't let stones in.

Yes, we walked for a while with a young woman who was walking barefoot. She had taped around the balls of her feet and heels, but that was all, and she said it was fine. She did tend to pick her way onto softer surfaces whenever possible.

Exactly my experience!! I may settle on my comfortable old reebok trainers as I have minor foot problems but have sent away for some waterproof reebok trail shoes to try these. I think they are wider than some. Meantime I am doing some aerobics or swimming each day. I suspect it is good to get some sort of fitness training going ASAP. I am off on 15th September. Good luck. Meg

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Cheers, I'm on the last week before my first Camino (frances) and anxiety is rising... I will start from SJPP on apr/30, and understood that maybe on the first section of the Camino, I might...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have about a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. I'm not a super big planner, but I'm...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back