• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The Way: how do you feel about THE movie?

The Way - LOVE it? HATE it? Or...meh...

• 5 - I absolutely LOVE it, and have rewatched it many times

Votes: 176 43.9%
  • 4 - It was an enjoyable movie, and I'd happily see it again but don't seek it out.

Votes: 157 39.2%
  • 3 - I really don't care one way or another (or I have not seen it).

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • 2 - I saw it once and that was more than enough.

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • 1 - I absolutely HATE it, and wish people would stop talking about it.

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
A recent post about a sequel to the the Way elicited many responses, and a few people thought a poll would be interesting. I agree, wondering what the silent people here think, not merely those of us who feel strongly enough to post their opinions.

So what's the current general feeling here on the Forum about this movie that's become iconic?

The poll is anonymous.
There is no need to post a message after you vote. But if you feel called to do so, please be kind. Opinions are opinions. None are right or wrong - they're just opinions. Kindly keep it to yourself if you feel other people are stupid or insufferable snobs (or whatever) for having them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many people have enjoyed the movie, and some have been inspired to do their own Camino. So that’s good.

I wanted to like it, but the two times I have viewed I found it literally unwatchable and could not finish it.

Particularly problematic for me was the arrogant way that Martin Sheen’s character couldn’t be bothered to learn even a few words of French or Spanish. The ‘Ugly American’ stereotype.

OMG, of course. Bring it.
Well, I saw it on an airplane, and dozed through sections, even though it was after my first Camino. It looked as good or as bad as many movies. I have never sought it out since, but would possibly watch it again if it appeared on my airplane screen again. #3 doesn't seem quite right, but neither does #4 because #4 is right up there next to the obsessives. Having #3 combine the indifferents with the did-not-see group isn't helpful in understanding the opinions.

Oh well, I will just have to pass on this poll!

Haters, please don't hate...
It inspired our first Camino. We had had no other opportunity to know about the Camino except on that rainy afternoon in Boise in 2014 when we first watched it. Phil was clinically depressed and it gave him a reason to live in anticipation of walking as we planned for our 2016 Camino. It's just a movie, but it saved a life that day...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I absolutely LOVE the movie, but there was no category in the poll for me. I own the dvd, but have only watched it 3 or 4 times in nine years...not 6 times or more every year.
I think it's about time to watch it again🙂 if my dvd player still works.

EDIT- I saw "I'll Push You" at the theater and it is my absolute favorite of the Camino films I have seen.

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE the movie, but there was no category in the poll for me. I own the dvd, but have only watched it 3 or 4 times in nine years...not 6 times or more every year.
I’d put myself squarely in category #4 (which is option 2) - but I too see the categories as a bit skewed - sorry @VNwalking. There seems to be a category ‘missing’ between 5 and 4.

You can ‘absolutely LOVE’ a movie but only watch it once or a few times over many years. But there is no spot for those people in the poll. To bundle those who would say they LOVE/D it in with those who rewatch it at least 6 times per year seems destined to skew the results. 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

EDIT- I saw "I'll Push You" at the theater and it is my absolute favorite of the Camino films I have seen.
We also own I'll Push You. Those guys were from Boise (and one is a nurse like me) when we lived there, so another "push" for us to go onthe Camino.

Love the movie, but watch it six times a year!!?!? That choice seems ridiculous, but the next one is too far down the liking scale to be accurate for me. I think a “loved it and have rewatched it often over the years” is more my style

On a very small sample, I note #3 has no votes. I wonder what else I might understand about people on this Forum and their biases, or other ... , that influences their advice or comments here.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Love the movie, but watch it six times a year!!?!? That choice seems ridiculous, but the next one is too far down the liking scale to be accurate for me. I think a “loved it and have rewatched it often over the years” is more my style
Yes, or even a simple option - I loved the movie - as the second choice. 🙏

Ah, you have a #3 now. Never seen it, didn't influence me to go on Camino, pretty much irrelevant to my life choices.

Now, Lord of the Rings / The Fellowship of the Ring, I saw 13 or so times in the year after it came out. It was a very painful year, and Gandalf spoke to me as he spoke to Frodo in the mines...

As always, I expect others mileage to vary... Buen Camino to all of us.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Particularly problematic for me was the arrogant way that Martin Sheen’s character couldn’t be bothered to learn even a few words of French or Spanish. The ‘Ugly American’ stereotype.
To be fair, in the movie he learned of the death of his son, and a few days later was in SJPdP to collect his remains, only thereafter deciding to walk the Camino himself to honor his son. I think in the same circumstances, most of us would not have decided on the flight over to sign up for Spanish lessons.

Sounds like the other thread will "fade out" so I'll repeat what I just said there

"What delighted me was to see Martin Sheen is in the titles as an executive producer under his real name of Ramon Gerard Estevez thus ending the long term regret between Marty and his dad Francisco"

By that I am saying IMHO that above all the movie is the best example I know of "family bonding" ie in the Sheen/Estevez clan over 5 generations where Francisco is born "beside" the Camino Portuguese over a hundred years ago and Emilio's grandson is born on the Camino Frances, with the name Sheen slotting into the middle to upset matters for a short time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am a 5 although I’ve watched it at least 6 times in the 12 years I’ve owned the DVD. Like @J Willhaus, I only learned of the Camino after watching the movie in Meridian (hey neighbor). It inspired me and gave me a purpose, something to strive for. Something I was praying for. I am now planning my 4th. God is good. It didn’t hurt that Martin Sheen was in it. I met him during my Hollywood days, because of him, I watched the movie. 😎👣🌻 Buen Camino!

Last edited:
This is a better wording, thank you.

So heads-up to all who've commented or passed on voting.
OPTION 5 IS RE-WORDED.
So please have a look and change your vote accordingly. You now have another option.

Last edited:
I have to say it was the film that inspired me to do my first camino. I do take the point about Martin Sheen not making the effort not to learn Spanish. When I arrive I Spain I couldn't speak a word of Spanish, but by the end of my camino I could get by comfortably, so no excuse.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
nd if a mod can get in there and renumber (and delete extra) options that would be super
I couldn't re-number, but I edited #5 to use the newer wording, but unfortunately now we don't get to see how many people actually watch it 6 times/year! Also someone voted for the new wording while it was #6, and that vote has now been lost. Whoever it was can vote again for #5.

I voted for #5 but only because I have watched Apocalypse Now (including Redux) well over 200 times and it is the numerous nuances of Marty Sheen's acting under Francis Ford Coppola that Emilio has managed to eek out of his dad 30 years later that KEEP me watching again and again for more instances.

As Emilio explains this is a tribute to his father as a father after having his one big hit in AN after Harvey Keitel did not cut the mustard in the Philippines and Marty was called in, almost dying of a heart attack during filming, but then taking ratbag roles like westwing just to make ends meet in the Sheen household, and finally giving Emilio a chance to step into Coppola's huge shoes as his first serious director role.

Went with a five because it is pretty much my favorite camino movie. However, i only learned about it after walking my first camino in 2019. Guess it was not that popular in Germany when it hit the theaters (or i did not care about the camino at the time and did not notice it).
Besides having great camera work i like the emphasis on "friendships with total strangers" which was also a very big part of my personal experience. Of course there are some weaknesses, some scenes being overly dramatic for, i guess, "Hollywood reasons". But to this day i have not found any other movie that brings back my feelings as much as this one.
(And lets not talk about the movie adaptation of the famous german camino book by HaPe Kerkeling. Really disliked that one despite loving the book)

I loved the opening words from the OP.
There are moments when people react against moderation on the forum. So many members appreciate the moderating standards.
The reminder that opinions do not need to be raged against is welcome, thank you OP.
Some people think there are cliques. What does that say about me if that is my response? Check it out if it is important, via a private message.
There could be enough clicques in real life to entertain us...
The best way to approach this forum is to say: I expect a clean agenda.
No angles. Forgive me, I speak as if I know the best way, I do not, but it is my suggestion.
Very recently, a simple mistake of mine because of lazy speech led another member to think I was disparaging her photo, and that prompted me to say, oh no!
It was a wakeup call to be so aware that yes indeed, our interactions here are so very restricted due to the lack of real face to face meetings. I am not looking for more of those!
Dear Op, forgive me hijacking your thread. I love that it is not contentious, and invites us to look openly without needing to argue.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How brave you are, VN! Can we complain about the poll choices? (That is usually the main entertainment with polls.)
I, too, would like to criticise the poll options. ;)

I started walking to Santiago before the movie even came into existence. I rented and watched it once after I had read about it in a forum thread. Nice feel-good story but if I’d ever watch it from beginning to end again it would be for the landscape shots and views of places where I can shout excitedly: “I have been there!!!”

Since then I’ve often looked for it on YouTube and watched it at 2x speed and with the sound switched off to find a scene that is being discussed in a forum thread.

I own the DVD “Saint-Jacques - La Mecque” if that helps.

Oh well. I settled for #4. But, really, we ought to have discussed the poll options FIRST. ;)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I own the DVD “Saint-Jacques - La Mecque” if that helps.
Been some discussion of the 2023 Danish film "Camino" recently. I haven't seen it but it seems to share at least one plotline with "Saint Jacques...La Mecque": characters walking a Camino reluctantly as the result of the dying wish of a relative. A similar motive for the lead character in "The Way". Interesting to see the same trope recurring in several popular fiction films set on the Caminos. I have met a few people and read posts by many more in recent years who have walked or are planning to walk as a memorial to a friend or relative. Often directly inspired by watching "The Way". I was not aware of that as a popular motivation when I first began to walk Caminos. Has it always been the case - even before these movies - and I was simply not aware of it at the time?

Last edited:
I haven't seen it but it seems to share at least one plotline with "Saint Jacques...La Mecque": characters walking a Camino reluctantly as the result of the dying wish of a relative. A similar motive for the lead character in "The Way".
Maybe we do have to take this to a separate thread ☺️.

Interesting topic, though.

"Saint Jacques ... La Mecque" has a weird twist at the end because it turns out that the mother is alive and well and that she set up this plot about her last will and testament to make her quarrelling adult children spend time together by living and walking together for many weeks. It is just one tiny scene, easily missed. The mother of one of the teenage characters does die during the course of the story which is quite sad.

But the "Camino" is not depicted as some kind of saviour. The story is about transformation - as so many narratives are - but it does not have this quasi religious-spiritual-whatever element that the "Camino" has gained during the recent decade or so (this is obviously my personal biased view). This is a major element of many movies and documentaries about the Camino experience, including The Way. The fact that we refer to "Camino experience" is already telling, I think.

SJLM is in a class of its own. Makes you laugh out loud, has some social criticism, and I don't think that there is a single line that gets quoted by viewers as "deep" :cool: ... a good movie IMHO.

SJLM is in a class of it's own. Makes you laugh out loud, has some social criticism, ... a good movie IMHO.
I agree. It was a wonderful twist, subtly shown in the final moments of the film. But I think you should put a SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post - in case anyone who hasn't yet seen it is able to get hold of a copy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry - I may not have made myself clear. I have watched and enjoyed "Saint Jacques... La Mecque" and watched and enjoyed (with a few more reservations) "The Way". So far I have not seen the Danish film.

€46,-
Sorry - I may not have made myself clear. I have watched and enjoyed "Saint Jacques... La Mecque" and watched and enjoyed (with a few more reservations) "The Way". So far I have not seen the Danish film.
I had understood that. What I wanted to point out is that, it least in my opinion, the story line of SJLM is not about coming to terms with loss (of any sort). And not about a dramatic change of life as a result of Camino walking. Not about making friends from all over the world and discussing issues with them. All of which is in the storyline of The Way, for example.

There appears to be something in The Way that makes people want to walk themselves in a way that SJLM doesn't. I think.

Not about making friends from all over the world and discussing issues with them. All of which is in the storyline of The Way, for example.
It may not be the director's principal message but that formation of a "Camino family" (dreadful phrase!) is a key feature in SJLM too. The various characters and sub-plots eventually interacting and becoming entangled.

It may not be the director's principal message but that formation of a "Camino family" (dreadful phrase!) is a key feature in SJLM too. The various characters and sub-plots eventually interacting and becoming entangled.
Indeed they do. It is an organised tour group with a leader who does this for a living. I've been on many of such organised walking tours myself in other parts of the world. :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I needed a working definition of hell that would be a fairly good starting point... :)
The first time I participated in an organised walking tour was life changing. For the better. Only five days. It had similar effects as those described by others who walked 5 weeks to Santiago. It also had the effect that I started to think about my next similar trip as soon as I got home. And that happened again and again. Very very good memories. :)

Thinking a bit more about it all and without delving too much into personal details: I myself cannot relate to the attraction that the movie The Way has for numerous people. But I guess it might have something to do with the fact that it gave them an impulse to do something of which they had not been aware of. To do something that they had never heard of before and to realise that it could be something that they could do by themselves. For the first time. On their own. Far away from home and away from familiar surroundings. As a mature person and not a person who has hiked since their youth or early adulthood. Something that would bring them a much needed renewed feeling of enjoyment or solace to come to term with loss of any kind. That sort of thing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I absolutely love The Way and have lost myself in it many times. I recognize there are many things to disparage in the movie but it is a movie not real life and I'm ok with how the story unfolds. I love the scenery and the idea of Tom pushing past his comfort zone to do something he never thought possible. I also love the idea that we can get very caught up in work (work harder! work more!) but if we stop for a moment and have an experience, well, that can be everything. Joost is wonderful but Sarah is a nightmare. I tune out when she's on screen. She "wears off quick!"

To be fair, the movie did not inspire my recent Camino. My family watched it before we did the Liechtenstein Trail in 2022 - just 45 miles in 4 days, six of us (husband & four adult kids). I loved the Trail experience so very much that I needed more. It's like that was the appetizer to the Camino which is the main course. Only my daughter Elise chose to join me on the Camino. I've watched The Way many times in the past year dreaming of what is to come when we depart this May.

And now when people ask me what on earth I'm doing next, I have a movie to point to. At least so they can have a sense of it all.

I myself cannot relate to the attraction that the movie The Way has for numerous people. But I guess it might have something to do with the fact that it gave them an impulse to do something of which they had not been aware of. To do something that they had never heard of before and to realise that it could be something that they could do by themselves. For the first time. On their own. Far away from home and away from familiar surroundings. As a mature person and not a person who has hiked since their youth or early adulthood.
I could have written this.
For me, at most the movie brings an indifferent shrug. But then I walked the Camino before seeing it, so there's none of the fervor that comes with gratitude.

It would be interesting to know if the haters or indifferent folks (1s, 2s, 3s) mostly learned of the Camino some other way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To be fair, in the movie he learned of the death of his son, and a few days later was in SJPdP to collect his remains, only thereafter deciding to walk the Camino himself to honor his son. I think in the same circumstances, most of us would not have decided on the flight over to sign up for Spanish lessons.
I would certainly not expect fluency, but learning a very few simple words and phrases in another language does not take long. It is the polite thing to do when visiting another country.
“Hello”
“My name is ...”
“Please”
“Thank you”
“Excuse me”
“Do you speak English?”

It would be interesting to know if the haters or indifferent folks (1s, 2s, 3s) mostly learned of the Camino some other way.
I'm one of the '3's. I walked my first Camino twenty years before the movie so it had no part in bringing me to the Caminos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had never heard of the Camino before stumbling upon this movie when it was first, quietly released in movie theaters oh so many years ago (2011?). No one I knew had ever heard of the Camino, either.

Has any movie ever had a bigger impact on my life?? I think not.

I rewatch it every few years.

Are there problems with the movie? Absolutely. Have there been better movies about the CF produced since then? Perhaps.

Nevertheless, for many for whom this was their first introduction to such a thing as a pilgrimage route through Spain that led to a Cathedral where the remains of a saint reside . . . well, the eye-opening gobsmacking was ground shaking and continues to rock my world.

Thanks so much for the opportunity to open up about my feelings regarding this film!

A firm #2 here. When I was planning my first Camino, I watched it and I pretty much hated it (eye-rolling script, bad acting, shallow characters representing ridiculous stereotypes; I could go on). I have never expressed these feelings around other pilgrims, because I understand that many many people adore the film, or the way it inspired them to walk a Camino. I have no desire to see it again, but I do hope to walk more Caminos. Phew.

A recent post about a sequel to the the Way elicited many responses, and a few people thought a poll would be interesting. I agree, wondering what the silent people here think, not merely those of us who feel strongly enough to post their opinions.

So what's the current general feeling here on the Forum about this movie that's become iconic?

The poll is anonymous.
There is no need to post a message after you vote. But if you feel called to do so, please be kind. Opinions are opinions. None are right or wrong - they're just opinions. Kindly keep it to yourself if you feel other people are stupid or insufferable snobs (or whatever) for having them.

The poll is anonymous.
I moved to Virginia about 32 years ago from a rural Pennsylvania community. I spent most of my off hours standing in a stream fishing for trout, I identified myself as a fly fisherman. Then a movie come out named "A river runs through it", and the quiet stream's of the Blue Ridge mountains that I fell in love with were never the same again.
Sure it was a good movie and it was nice to see people enjoy my passion but the solitude and peacefulness was gone. The silence of the river's was gone. There was people walking in the water, trash along banks of the river.....
The movie wasn't that good.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The poll is anonymous.
Now, I cannot participate - haven´t seen it.🥲 Live in NOrway and cannot find it anywhere. None of the streaming services we have offer us this movie. Can anyone tell us where to find it??

I had understood that. What I wanted to point out is that, it least in my opinion, the story line of SJLM is not about coming to terms with loss (of any sort). And not about a dramatic change of life as a result of Camino walking. Not about making friends from all over the world and discussing issues with them. All of which is in the storyline of The Way, for example.

There appears to be something in The Way that makes people want to walk themselves in a way that SJLM doesn't. I think.
"The Way" is a fairly successful adaption of "Alice in Wonderland" set in beautiful landscapes. It is also a song for the Camino and Galicia, in the backgroung it is a praise for family history. Who couldn't like it!

An 8.25 for me! 😂

Well, B, at least you are not a 1 or a 2.🙂
If we are allowed to give our vote to 2 decimal places I would upgrade to more like 3.37.... I don't actively dislike the film as a whole. It was fairly entertaining to watch. I didn't feel that I had completely wasted 2 hours of my life. But it didn't move or inspire me in the way that it clearly does for some people.

Now, I cannot participate - haven´t seen it.🥲 Live in NOrway and cannot find it anywhere. None of the streaming services we have offer us this movie. Can anyone tell us where to find it??
There is a website Justwatch.com that lets us see in which countries which movies are streamed, and indeed it is not available in Norway at this point in time. You can ask to be notified if and when it becomes available in your country.

Or see whether you can find and want to buy the DVD from Amazon or another company.

Or, since geolocation rules make our lives so unnecessarily complicated and frustrating ... it is sometimes on YouTube.

I vaguely remember reading about the movie when it was being filmed, but somehow got the impression that it was a documentary. I was aware of the Camino and knew a few acquaintances who had walked it. I had already decided to do it myself in April 2020, and had been actively training when COVID struck and delayed my Camino by 18 months. It was during that time that I sought out Camino YouTube videos, found this forum, and watched The Way for the first time. The rapidly developed friendships with complete strangers of multiple nationalities and different motivations matched my experience and was the most realistic part of the movie for me. I voted #4, but am really somewhere between 4 and 5.

The poll is anonymous.
Forget the poll. Two of our most memorable experiences on our first camino many years ago were related to the movie. I will relate the most heartwarming.

We arrived in Santiago, received our compostela, and to be sure we did not miss the swinging of the botafumeiro, took our seats two hours before mass. Already seated in the front row on the right side of the altar was another lady. I turned to her and introduced myself in Spanish and English. She replied in English. She said she was from Los Angeles and had taken two months to walk the camino from SJPdP. I commended her perseverance and determination. If she would be kind, would she explain why?

She opened the backpack she had next to her and pulled out an urn. These are my mom's ashes. Did your mom walk the camino, I asked? No. She and her mom went to see the movie The Way and her mom absolutely loved it. When they were having dinner later, her mom said, "When I die, please spread my ashes at Finisterre." Her mom had a heart attack three days later and died.

How could I deny my mom's wishes? the lady said. And now the botafumeiro will be swinging over her. She would have liked that. And when it did swing over us, she stood up holding the urn. I couldn't help but smile, knowing how many have walked the camino and continue to walk with a higher purpose.

And for a good number of people, I am sure, their introduction to the camino was this movie.

Last edited:

€46,-
Who couldn't like it!
A not insignificant number of people. The poll shows that (at least here) they are a minority but that doesn't negate the validity of their experience.

Nor importantly does their dislike of the movie mean that the people who love it are being attacked. or somehow wrong.

I couldn't help but smile, knowing how many have walked the camino and continue to walk with a higher purpose.
An amazing story. Even being indifferent to the movie, that's really touching.

I would certainly not expect fluency, but learning a very few simple words and phrases in another language does not take long. It is the polite thing to do when visiting another country.
“Hello”
“My name is ...”
“Please”
“Thank you”
“Excuse me”
“Do you speak English?”
I think in fairness, being told your son had just died and having to set off the retrieve the body at short notice, he may be excused for not learning or being in any fit state to do so.

Now if he was coming over for any other reason... sure.. pull your finger out and learn some

"What delighted me was to see Martin Sheen is in the titles as an executive producer under his real name of Ramon Gerard Estevez thus ending the long term regret between Marty and his dad Francisco"
Yes, Sheen never legally changed his name. For example Estevez is on his passport.

Sure it was a good movie and it was nice to see people enjoy my passion but the solitude and peacefulness was gone. The silence of the river's was gone. There was people walking in the water, trash along banks of the river.....
The movie wasn't that good.
By extension...a good point.
The movie has definitely impacted the Camino, and camino culture
And not everyone is happy about that.

Anything that drives more people to go on a pilgrimage is to me a good thing. Whether that is a movie, book or the internet... it's all good. Listening to whines about too many people turning up because of a movie, book or the internet.... not so much

I sense this is the sort of discussion that will soon find itself hidden by the rules much like true pilgrims , bull fighting etc The haters and those at the other end of the spectrum just won't be able to control themselves

Thanks so much for the opportunity to open up about my feelings regarding this film!

A firm #2 here. When I was planning my first Camino, I watched it and I pretty much hated it (eye-rolling script, bad acting, shallow characters representing ridiculous stereotypes; I could go on). I have never expressed these feelings around other pilgrims, because I understand that many many people adore the film, or the way it inspired them to walk a Camino. I have no desire to see it again, but I do hope to walk more Caminos. Phew.
On our first camino, and many after that, we always seem to meet people of all ages with stories that can only be described as life imitating art. The characters in The Way came to life for us. One lady whom we kept walking with and bumping into seemed so odd, always dressed in the same black outfit. She was a strikingly lovely lady around 50 years old. She never said anything...just walked.

One morning, it was raining and we slipped into a cafe. She was there and we asked if we could sit with her. We started talking and finally she opened up to us. I am leaving out a few details in case someone might recognize her.

She and her younger brother were raised by a very abusive father who beat them regularly. At the age of 16, she ran away from home and became a prostitute in another European country. Over a period of years, she made quite a bit of money. She later returned to her native country, opened a business, married a wonderful man and had four kids.

She said she was walking the camino for atonement, which is why she was wearing black. I commented that it seemed she had righted herself. What did she have to atone for? She said she had abandoned her younger brother who later committed suicide. Her conscience could not reconcile this and she was hoping the camino would purify her conscience.

She went on to Finisterre, took off the black clothing, burned it and then put on white robe, which she wore for her walk back to Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sense this is the sort of discussion that will soon find itself hidden by the rules much like true pilgrims , bull fighting etc The haters and those at the other end of the spectrum just won't be able to control themselves
Only if you bring it up, as you just did.
Nobody's doing any of that at the moment, so I think we can relax and continue our respectful discussion....

Actually the poll is an interesting snapshot.
I had assumed it would be a bell curve but it's definitely skewed to the love direction.
So I'm surprised. And know more about who's on the Forum. Or at least who's on the forum and cares enough about the topic to vote.

And I wonder if I'm the only one who's surprised?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Poll well done @VNwalking ! I found the perfect answer in #2 😉 Hate is such a strong word, one which I use rarely which ruled out #1.

Sorry, I usually read the comments but must admit that I haven't done that this time around. 60+ comments as reaction to a poll and a topic that has been hashed out (over?) for many years is a bit too much 😂

I wish you had been able to watch the film to the end. The whole point of the film was about how the Camino experience tempered him and helped him to understand why his son was so passionate about travel and he falls in love with the idea for himself.

I have watched this movie about four times. I saw it for the first time about four years after I joined this forum and two years before my wife and I managed to walk most of the Camino Frances. The movie increased my interest in spending more than a month walking this route. But here's what has made it hard for me to really like this film:

The main character is basically unlikeable

Almost nobody can put on another person's kit, especially footwear, and just walk for a month

The notion of a "Camino Family" is misleading, IMHO. It's hard to walk together for days on end with anyone due to each person's naturally different footspeed coupled with the length of each walking day. It's also naturally difficult to sustain a conversation with a stranger for more than a day or two

The Irishman's introduction is preposterous

The stolen backpack and the Roma plotting is also preposterous

People don't arrive at their destination and immediately sit down to drink and then drink to excess. They go to their bed, shower, and maybe wash some clothes. Then at dinner and into the evening people drink. Maybe a drink before dinner, also.

We arrived in SdC and had walked far enough. We walked to/from Fisterre on another Camino. Three people joining Tom to walk for a few more days is another notion of the film that seems, well, just the way Hollywood rolls.

Finally, the movie underscores Toms' transformation. But is transformation possible at Tom's age (or at my slightly older age)? Unlikely, although the movie's main character, as portrayed, certainly needs to do some major tweaking to his curmudgeon-like character. However, if you are looking or searching for a transformative experience, give the Camino a month of your time. It might work for you. And even if it doesn't, I think you'll enjoy yourself and gain some knowledge about yourself as well as the culture and people you experience along Your way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

The poll is anonymous.
I’m a 5. I love it. I watched it the first time with my husband and we started making plans to walk it soon after. He passed away before we could. I was so lost in my grief, I decided to walk it in his memory. It was one of the best things I did for myself during that time. I think it kind of saved me too. I wouldn’t have known about it without the movie - which I thought was beautifully done.
Was it just me, or did anyone else think it was a little similar to The Wizard of Oz? A person (Dorothy/Tom) goes on an unexpected journey in an unknown land and meets 3 companions 1) a simple yet loveable character (Scarecrow/Joost), 2) someone seemingly not having a heart (Tinman/Sarah), and finally an outwardly loud and boisterous / inwardly lost or stuck 3rd companion (Jack/Cowardly lion). And then the reason they’re where they are (Daniel/Toto). Lol, I don’t know, maybe it’s a stretch with the comparisons on my part, but I still LOVED it and watch it ALOT.

A pity, because that's an interesting number you pointed out. I wonder if that 1000 includes bots? Because the poll's completely anonymous.
bots, crawlers and the like I would guess .. Hopefully it can stay open a decent amount of time to get a better consensus

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Pelerina, I appreciated your comment, especially as I'd been focusing on reading the comments and had forgotten to look at the poll again when I got up earlier; I thought you had some good insight and am disappointed to see you had deleted it.

By extension...a good point.
The movie has definitely impacted the Camino, and camino culture
And not everyone is happy about that.
Yep, I'm a solid 3. Never seen the movie but of course I'm aware of it. It isn't as popular or as big of a deal this side of the Atlantic I think and it isn't available on any of the streamers over here (Ireland) as far as I'm aware, at least, not on I subscribe to anyway. If it ever crosses my path, I'm sure I wil watch it. However, I am convinced you are correct about its impact on 'camino culture', at least as far as the Frances is concerned. I will walk my third Camino route this year, in early June (The Primitivo from Oviedo) but have deliberately shied away from walking the Frances so far. I see people on (mostly FB) forums referring to 'walking el Camino' and 'The Way' and I know they mean the Frances and likely don't even know there are other less well travelled routes. It kinda puts me off it to be honest. Next year I will walk (sections of, I still work full time and can't take the block of leave needed to walk the full length) the Norte as my fourth Camino route. As to the Frances, perhaps I will get around to it eventually, but I'm avoiding it as long as I can it would seem.

@Pelerina, I appreciated your comment, especially as I'd been focusing on reading the comments and had forgotten to look at the poll again when I got up earlier; I thought you had some good insight and am disappointed to see you had deleted it.
It's not important. As you know, Chrissy, I am often at a loss with comments and replies on the forum. 🤣 But the information is there for anyone to see - i.e. how many views (BOTS or otherwise, I wouldn't know) vs respondents. 🤷‍♀️

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A couple of weeks before my 2012 Camino my son, probably unlawfully, downloaded/ streamed The Way. He kept interceding with "That'll be you Dad", "That'll be you Dad". At the scene of Tom's arrest for drunkenness he said "That'll definitely be you Dad!" Cheeky bugger.

That was the year I carried two burdens to Cruz Ferro and there laid them down. Carrying ashes to scatter on a pilgrimage route. Been there, done that, but to Muxia. That's a different tale.

In 2015, my wife was almost killed in a car accident (some of you are aware of it - a large tree fell on her car while driving). Four months later, when she finally came home, I suggested we watch "The Way" (I had seen it before, but she was never interested). After watching the movie, she said "I want to do that." To which I replied "You'll need to learn how to walk, first." Her ankle had been shattered in the accident.

Thus began the long road back to (almost normalcy). It began with little steps on our porch (we have a very, very long porch) with a walker, then upgrading to crutches, and then eventually on her own two feet. Progress was slow - it took years before she could reach the point where she could walk more than a couple of miles.

In 2018, she began her Camino. It almost ended the first day, as she struggled to get to Valcarlos (I wound up carrying her pack the last two kilometers, of which the last 200 meters took about a half hour - one painful step after another).

I have a great photo of her crossing the Pyrenees the next day :).

Rather than walk the entire way, we resumed our journey in Sarria. It was quite the emotional moment for her completing her journey of gratitude when we arrived in the plaza before the Cathedral of St. James a week later. From coding in ambulances and hospitals, 19 broken bones, and being in a coma, to completing a journey of over 100 kilometers by foot. In my not so humble opinion, that's not a small feat.

Since then, we have both walked the Camino Frances (separately) and the Camino Ingles (together with our youngest). She has also walked several Caminos in Portugal, along with serving as a hospitalera in donativos.

We watch "The Way" before every Camino (and many other times, too). My wife heads off to another Camino in April. I hope to do a longer one in 2025 (maybe Le Puy?). TBD.

Buen Camino

€60,-
Poll well done @VNwalking ! I found the perfect answer in #2 😉 Hate is such a strong word, one which I use rarely which ruled out #1.
Same. Though to be completely honest, 1 fits sometimes too. So count me as a 1.5.
Thing is the experience of 4s and 5s is equally valid, and some of the stories here are so beautiful...

Hopefully it can stay open a decent amount of time to get a better consensus
Yes, the bigger the sample size the better. Now it's looking even more skewed than an hour ago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In 2015, my wife was almost killed in a car accident (some of you are aware of it - a large tree fell on her car while driving). Four months later, when she finally came home, I suggested we watch "The Way" (I had seen it before, but she was never interested). After watching the movie, she said "I want to do that." To which I replied "You'll need to learn how to walk, first." Her ankle had been shattered in the accident.

Thus began the long road back to (almost normalcy). It began with little steps on our porch (we have a very, very long porch) with a walker, then upgrading to crutches, and then eventually on her own two feet. Progress was slow - it took years before she could reach the point where she could walk more than a couple of miles.

In 2018, she began her Camino. It almost ended the first day, as she struggled to get to Valcarlos (I wound up carrying her pack the last two kilometers, of which the last 200 meters took about a half hour - one painful step after another).

I have a great photo of her crossing the Pyrenees the next day :).

Rather than walk the entire way, we resumed our journey in Sarria. It was quite the emotional moment for her completing her journey of gratitude when we arrived in the plaza before the Cathedral of St. James a week later. From coding in ambulances and hospitals, 19 broken bones, and being in a coma, to completing a journey of over 100 kilometers by foot. In my not so humble opinion, that's not a small feat.

Since then, we have both walked the Camino Frances (separately) and the Camino Ingles (together with our youngest). She has also walked several Caminos in Portugal, along with serving as a hospitalera in donativos.

We watch "The Way" before every Camino (and many other times, too). My wife heads off to another Camino in April. I hope to do a longer one in 2025 (maybe Le Puy?). TBD.

Buen Camino
I can attest to your wife's strength of character, and was privileged to meet the three of you at dinner on the Ingles.

I plan to watch, The Way, this weekend for my 58th birthday as I plan to Camino on my 60th. I heard the movie was not filmed on location, except for a couple of places. Does this detract from the authenticity of the film?

Not just you. Emilio Estevez has said a number of times that the film is deliberately modelled on 'The Wizard of Oz'.
Are there any parallels between The Wizard of Oz and The Way other than that they follow a yellow brick road and yellow arrows? Fairly serious question because I don't see more. Perhaps four main characters looking for something and the movies had a major impact in some regions and not in others?

I mean quest narratives are nothing new, they are nearly as old as time itself ...?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I plan to watch, The Way, this weekend for my 58th birthday as I plan to Camino on my 60th. I heard the movie was not filmed on location, except for a couple of places. Does this detract from the authenticity of the film?
Not really. If you've never been, it doesn't matter. It's only after you go you pick up on the difference.

I know all the differences and it doesn't matter to me at all.

The poll is anonymous.
I learned about the movie following a Google Search, resulting from having accidentally caught a TV travel show on Galicia and the Camino de Santiago. Six months later, I walked out of Saint Jean Pied de Port, on my first Camino. From time to time, I will re-watch the film, especially if I need a mental "lift."

I just took a look and I am not surprised at all. It's pretty much the same as every time one of these threads get started and really no different; poll or no poll.
Except the people who love the movie are more likely to engage in a discussion about it than those who dont. A poll gives a clearer picture of what people think, regardless of whether they want to talk about it.

€83,-
I wish you had been able to watch the film to the end. The whole point of the film was about how the Camino experience tempered him and helped him to understand why his son was so passionate about travel and he falls in love with the idea for himself.
Yes, I wish so too.

Unfortunately, all of the main characters are so unlikeable - in my opinion - that I just could not become sufficiently interested/invested to care about their transformations.

None of the categories work for me. I first walked part of the Camino in 2011 after reading a magazine article on it. Then again in 2013, 2018, in parts and tried in 2022 (COVID stopped me). Still haven’t hit Santiago but hope to this March!! I watched the movie when it first came out and thought it was ok. But I was very glad I had walked before seeing the movie. For me, the Camino is a personal journey and the movie served to commercialize it. I prefer the magic of discovery. If I had seen the movie first, my expectations would have been very different. But I get that for some people the movie was their first intro to the camino and for them it was transformative. Nonetheless I continue to advise watching it only after walking if at all possible.

I voted 5, but my real answer would be a 4½. It's flawed, but pleasant enough that I've re-watched it a few times.

I am VERY much looking forward to Bill Bennet's Camino film !!

I was very glad I had walked before seeing the movie.
I feel the same way. When I walked the Frances the first time, I hadn't seen any films or videos and was not a member of this or any other forum. I've always been grateful that I was so 'blissfully ignorant' in many respects. By the time I watched The Way, I'd walked the Frances twice. Not to take away from any of the wonderful stories of how people were inspired to walk after watching the film, for me, I'm happy not to have seen it or much of anything beforehand.

Except the people who love the movie are more likely to engage in a discussion about it than those who dont. A poll gives a clearer picture of what people think, regardless of whether they want to talk about it.
I disagree. The anonymous poll is not really showing anything different than what we've already see on the many threads. I think those who clearly dislike it have always been in the minority on this forum. If as you say, some don't like to talk about their negative feelings about the film, the poll is their answer to be heard, but I'm not seeing it so far.

We can only say what we like or don't like and what is meaningful or not on a personal level. It is meaningful to me not because it is a great movie, but because of the emotional moment that occurred when I first watched it. If I had only watched it by myself, I might have forgotten it by now, but when Phil turned to me with tears in his eyes and asked if I thought we could do a Camino someday, it turned the movie into something important for me.

If it isn't meaningful to others, then its fine because that is their experience. I don't like Pamplona because of a bad experience on my first Camino there, but lots of other people here love Pamplona. I don't like dessert, but other people here love dessert. I think we can all just be ourselves. I can love the movie for my own reasons and other people don't have to love it for their own reasons. (Or they can just be like "meh, it was OK.")

Last edited:
I will add for myself, that the movie meant a lot to me for my own reason, different than many. My son had walked 1000 miles of the Appalachian Trail and I was so excited for him and actually rather envious when he went in 2014, but knew I was not willing to pack up a wet tent in rain, nor able to carry a weeks worth of food on my back for weeks or months on end.
So, when I accidently stumbled on "The Way" later that year, not really knowing anything about it, my enthusiasm tumbled out and I thought "maybe I can do this!...sleep indoors every night and no need to carry much food!" I have no idea if the movie would have triggered the desire for me to "go" without that background I had prior. Either way, I love "The Way" and it will always have a soft spot for me. With all the many unedifying films being put out in general, I truly do not understand the animosity some have towards this entertaining film, with its uplifting and redemptive ending, even if it fails to tick all the boxes of authenticity some are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.