• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zabaldika donativo

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Fall 2024
I read a thread about the alternate route from Lintzoin, which I am interested in doing when we walk in September. Then I looked for information on the donativo in Zabaldika on Wise Pilgrim and found a comment dated March 2024 that the sisters have stated that they don't take reservations and asked that Wise Pilgrim remove that from Services.
Can Wise Pilgrim or anyone confirm this?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I asked our wonderful @wisepilgrim member to note that indeed, Zabaldika does not accept reservations. Above comments confirm the fact. It is part of the Donativo element of the Camino network.
If you arrive in time, you will be lucky, and blessed, whatever that means to you, to enjoy a space and an experience that is special. (In my opinion, humble or however you choose to express it!)
The village has very few homes, perhaps five residents at peak season! No anything, just the beauty of the place, and the experience of sharing the space with other pilgrims. If you need buzz, keep going.
In time means before the albergue opens for the day. The hospitaleros close at 8 am and clean, go shopping, have their own time for lunch etc, then open the doors to welcome 18 fortunate pilgrims.
Anyone who arrives later can be directed onwards the further 3km more or less to the next wonderful Trinidad de Arre albergue. It has its own charm, and has more attractions, being in a town. They, Trinidad de Arre, have a facebook presence, and places can be reserved.
Pilgrims who arrive later to Zabaldika, and really need help, can be offered transport to Trinidad de Arre. No chancers!
If you can walk, it is only about 3km, and along a beautiful mountain shoulder...if you want peace, and quiet, go ahead, aim for it
I know the score rather well, from experience as hospitalera, as well as being one of the members of the international community of sisters who run the church side of things. I am sorry to miss being there this year as I have other commitments at home, here in Ireland.
Buen camino, peregrinos.

It is true that luggage transfer is not accepted as a token of reservation. Luggage is picked up using the local agency, and left there as well. But it does not mean you have a bed booked. Nor do the hospitaleros accept responsibilty. That is your privilege. Your luggage can sit happily outside waiting for your arrival and if you are on time to get a bed, magnifico!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
De
I read a thread about the alternate route from Lintzoin, which I am interested in doing when we walk in September. Then I looked for information on the donativo in Zabaldika on Wise Pilgrim and found a comment dated March 2024 that the sisters have stated that they don't take reservations and asked that Wise Pilgrim remove that from Services.
Can Wise Pilgrim or anyone confirm this?
Definitely a special place to stay… we walked in 2018, I know things have changed, but you don’t really need to book anywhere unless it’s the like of Orrisson at the start of the French Way. Hope to be back next year…..

I hope it will be available to us when we walk in September- thanks to everyone for your comments
I'm confident that it will be. Why do I say this? When we showed up, we were among the first. Then more and more and more came. They simply put down mats for all the newcomers. It was a packed room. After a very simple communal meal in their kitchen, we gathered in the 12th century bell tower for a discussion and prayer service. Again...packed in like sardines. Then there was thunder and lightning as if on cue when we bowed our heads and the elderly nun said a prayer for us. In the end, we all had an unforgettable experience while bonding early on with a group of peregrinos we kept bumping into all the way to Santiago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know the score rather well, from experience as hospitalera, as well as being one of the members of the international community of sisters who run the church side of things. I am sorry to miss being there this year as I have other commitments at home, here in Ireland.
Thank you to you and your sisters, as well as the hospitaleros/hospitaleras for your wonderful albergue, it is one of the most special on the Camino Francés.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.