• In case you had not seen it, there is a new link in the top menu to the most popular contents on the forum from the last 90 days, 1 year and all the way from the beginning in 2004.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

1 or 2 day religious walks in Australia?

2020 Camino Guides

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi all

Are you aware of any short trails around Australia that lead to a religious destination? There are obviously the Aussie Camino (VIC-SA) and the Camino Salvado (WA) trails, but they are about 10 days each. Are you aware of anything that could be done over 1 or 2 days?

Accepting suggestions, even if not "official" trails. Maybe I should just start walking 20km away from a church and go for it :)

Adhemar78

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2014)
Via Francigena (2017)
Kumano Kodo (2018)
Portuguese Coastal Camino (2020)
Hi all

Are you aware of any short trails around Australia that lead to a religious destination? There are obviously the Aussie Camino (VIC-SA) and the Camino Salvado (WA) trails, but they are about 10 days each. Are you aware of anything that could be done over 1 or 2 days?

Accepting suggestions, even if not "official" trails. Maybe I should just start walking 20km away from a church and go for it :)
How about the Way of St James Cygnet in Tasmania? There’s a website for it at https://www.waytostjames.com.au

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
How about the Way of St James Cygnet in Tasmania? There’s a website for it at https://www.waytostjames.com.au
This sounds like an amazing experience, thank you so much!
I'll be arriving from an overseas trip on that week, but maybe I can get my way to Tasmania right after.
Thank you so, so much indeed, I had not heard of that trail before :)

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011 (2019)
At Easter each year there's an organised pilgrimage from Yass to the Monastery at Galong. It's around 60k and generally spreads over three days. I think it still happens.

De Colores

Bogong
The St Clements Way walk hasn't been conducted for a few years. I am not sure when it was last organized, nor why it stopped. There has been occasional discussion about whether to run it again, but there have been other priorities keeping some other signature walking events in the Canberra region going.

Bogong

Camino(s) past & future
First, March 2014
The St Clements Way walk hasn't been conducted for a few years. I am not sure when it was last organized, nor why it stopped. There has been occasional discussion about whether to run it again, but there have been other priorities keeping some other signature walking events in the Canberra region going.

I think we may need to have a ping at it again, Doug?

LesR

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018, 2018;Camino Portuguese 2019
At Easter each year there's an organised pilgrimage from Yass to the Monastery at Galong. It's around 60k and generally spreads over three days. I think it still happens.

De Colores

Bogong
Would seem to be a bit more than the 1-2 days envisaged by the OP - but the map and details as https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1cx_m9-IQ7-s99E6SAXXxmF51Ytc&ie=UTF&msa=0&ll=-34.6952744827106,148.64116345386333&z=11 may be enough to plan a solo pilgrimage, but I would doubt that it will be a pleasant walk for much of the next 3 or 4 months due to heat...

Knowing a little of the area, most walking would seem to be on sealed roads with limited traffic, little shade and few ups and downs. Accommodation and food/water supplies will be limited to the few towns along the way. On the upside, I cannot see the need for a bed race!

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Levante-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
England Camino routes ?2024
Would seem to be a bit more than the 1-2 days envisaged by the OP - but the map and details as https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1cx_m9-IQ7-s99E6SAXXxmF51Ytc&ie=UTF&msa=0&ll=-34.6952744827106,148.64116345386333&z=11 may be enough to plan a solo pilgrimage, but I would doubt that it will be a pleasant walk for much of the next 3 or 4 months due to heat...

Knowing a little of the area, most walking would seem to be on sealed roads with limited traffic, little shade and few ups and downs. Accommodation and food/water supplies will be limited to the few towns along the way. On the upside, I cannot see the need for a bed race!
What are the elevations like? Would be good training for an Oxfam Trailwalker!

LesR

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2018, 2018;Camino Portuguese 2019
What are the elevations like? Would be good training for an Oxfam Trailwalker!
According to windy app,the total uphill bit between Yass and Galong is 785 m and the total downhill bit is 782 m

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Why not just the last couple of days of the Mary MacKillop Way AKA "Aussie Camino" ?

Nick B

Camino(s) past & future
Frances - May/June 2018
Portugese - (2019)
Norte - (2020)
Can recommended Cygnet, lived there for a few years. Beautiful part of Tasmania the Huon Valley, food is fantastic along with the wine, beer and cider.

The Cygnet folk festival is on the same weekend and sees some great artists.

GaryAus

Camino(s) past & future
CF December 2017
Not a Christian religious walk but one of spiritual significance to Indigenous Australians.....the 80km walk (just opened this week) from Bondi Beach to Manly Beach following the Sydney Harbour Foreshore and across the Harbour Bridge. Must be one of the worlds best city walks and chronicles the indigenous heritage of the area.

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Not a Christian religious walk but one of spiritual significance to Indigenous Australians.....the 80km walk (just opened this week) from Bondi Beach to Manly Beach following the Sydney Harbour Foreshore and across the Harbour Bridge. Must be one of the worlds best city walks and chronicles the indigenous heritage of the area.
That sounds interesting....

Last edited:

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Why not just the last couple of days of the Mary MacKillop Way AKA "Aussie Camino" ?
Because that one is on the plans to be done in full in the future :)
Also, it takes me a while to get anywhere on that route, as most of it is very far from the bigger cities and airports.
But that camino will happen eventually, oh, it will :)

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
rossmckay Australia and New Zealand 5
OLDER threads on this topic
Australian walks

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 49 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%