• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 Month Training & Weight Loss Plan for an Overweight/Plus Size Pilgrim

Keep in mind that exercise is like, 3% of weight loss. Diet it the rest, generally speaking. Exercise is non-negotiable in my mind.

I hate to diet. My wife and I are working on this together. We walk and hike a lot. We walk long distances. We will be on the Frances during your pilgrimage.
Yes I agree, it’s 99% diet in my opinion. I just spent a few weeks rather meticulously tracking foods, and even though I’m low carb, it was shocking the quantity AND frequency I was eating. Like 😬😮🙄 shocking. I need to rein it in and tracking is the only way I can do that, I am very out of sight out of mind.

I have to exercise because I am so imbalanced and under muscled and basically broken, but I do not think it will result in weight loss, maybe a little recomposition will happen tho!

The Frances sounds lovely. I’m already dreaming of it *some day*. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You've had some excellent advice from the people who are basically taking a sensible approach, and advising that you do your training at a reasonable--even slow--pace.

I'm going to add one more major piece of advice, and it applies to both training/fitness and life in general. In a few words, in order to be successful and keep it up for more than short bursts at the beginning, you have to LIKE what you're doing.

I do not always follow my own advice, but I've been sort of in continual training (for life) for literally decades (I'll be 77 in March). And I've never done a complete Camino because I know that I get bored following a routine for more than a week. I have loved walking and hiking since I was a very young child, hanging out with my father, who had recently returned from the Army after World War II. During that time I also discovered that I loved swimming even more. Did most of my competitive swimming as an adult; before Title IX, there were very, very few high school and college swimming teams for girls/women, but I always swam laps to keep both stress levels and weight down. Now I'm more into endurance and swim 250+ miles a year. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to prevent burn-out and really ease back on swimming until January, since I'm already over 250 miles. And Thursday I had to sub for two other yoga instructors who couldn't teach that day, and I swam 1.5 miles in between. Now I'm kind of achy.

And I still work--when I feel like it on projects and with people I like. Somehow I managed this for most of my several careers, too, and didn't retire until a few years ago. And clients and employers have always gotten more than their money's worth from me.

Now I think I'm going to work in the yard for a bit and then take a short walk . It's a beautiful day here in coastal South Carolina, but I paid my dues in northern Ohio, upstate New York and Toronto and Kingston, Ontario for many years.

Take care and have a good time.

Instead of focusing on the weight, I suggest focusing on your fitness.

Here are my suggestions:

Training
While losing weight will reduce the stress on your body, you can still get fitter even without losing large amounts of weight!

Just walking with a back pack (start very light) to build up toward the distances you want to walk on the first day or two will get you fit enough. Include some steps too. It’s actually a bit boring doing this around local streets, so try to do a couple of longer day hikes in nature.

When you are actually on the Camino, it will be very interesting and you can go slowly, take breaks - and also it’s easier to achieve the extra distance compared to walking at home.

As long as your feet, ankle and knees hold out:

Pacerpoles
I recommend Pacerpoles which you buy from a UK site.

I have the carbon fiber ones.

Because they are designed by a physiotherapist, they have ergonomic hand grips and allow you to ‘push off’ with your hands more than other poles uphill and on the flat. This will take pressure off your ankles and knees. They also work going down hill. The instructions for using them are amazing too.

Ankle / knee support
Get your physiotherapist’s advice about proper ankle and ankle braces If you need them. I used knee braces and they were very helpful.

Shoes
if you need a lot of cushioning in your shoes I can highly recommend Altra Olympus trail runners. They are wide too. But use arch support inner soles in them. I use the kind of innersoles that have a plastic shell under the bottom 2/3rds, with gel under the heel and forefoot.

With shoes, have a good thumbs width of room in front of your longest toe.

Chafing
Bodyglide (inner butt cheeks and anywhere else that gets sweaty and rubs).

Double socks to prevent blisters
Blisters are caused by ‘shear’ between the layers of skin. Wear injinji synthetic liner toe socks under wool mix hiking socks.

The liner toe socks have ‘cool max’ that wicks away sweat. The ‘toes’ stop blister forming between your toes.

The two layers of socks work move the ‘shear’ from your skin layers to between the sock layers.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your plan sounds elaborate, but like others, I caution you not to overtrain. I walked the CF in 2016 with someone who didn't know he'd left home with a broken bone in his foot until he returned home. He thought the recurring pain was from the walk or his shoes.

I agree with others that your current weight in a nonfactor. You'll meet pilgrims from teenagers to octogenarians with virtually every body type. Just listen to your body and move at your own pace. Even if you travel with someone or develop a Camino family, you can easily make a plan to meet for meals and accommodations. It's great to walk alone or with other Pilgrims that match your pace.

My advice is to increase your steps per day and then put in a long hike (over 5 miles) in an unpaved nature trail on the weekends. That will give you the chance to perfect the use of hiking poles and adjust to walking on uneven ground with unexpected obstacles (roots, trees, rocks, etc.). If you have the opportunity to climb a steeper ascent, take it. My daily goal before the CF was 20,000 steps a day. I bought a step climber with tension straps to work out at home while bingeing my favorite shows. So, I was usually able to keep pace with the younger members of my Camino family (5-6 km/hr on flat ground, 2-3 km/hr uphill) and walk 6-8 hours.
Sunny Health Stepper

Your yoga will help begin or end a day of walking. My muscles were super tight the first week, so I started each morning with sun salutations to stretch out my back, thighs and calves. Most albergues have courtyards, lawns or lobbies that are perfect for a yoga workout.

I think you're going to have a brilliant time. Buen Camino!

I see not much need to do a weighted backpack walk to someone who is losing weight. You are wearing extra weight already compared to the future you.

Would be a great goal for an overweight person to lose a full gear set or two of weight before the Camino. Then you know the Camino will not feel harder than you already do on a daily basis.

Maybe the last few weeks before the real Camino it makes sense to do a training walk or two with your actual Camino gear and see how it feels.
I would suggest the backpack during training because this is a good chance to be sure it’s comfortable for a whole day - and if by some chance the OP gets fitter but doesn’t lost weight, they have trained with the extra weight. However, would also be fine to just add the back pack closer to departure time…

I am mainly documenting this for myself, because maybe by posting it here I will stick to it!

I want to document / get advice on a training plan for my Camino.

In January 2012, my wife got some very bad health news. A few days later she looked at me and challenged me to "do the walk in northern Spain, when I am gone".

I opened a weight record spreadsheet from 10 years before and started recording. I was now well and truly in the "obese" category.

And I started walking.
My first walk was 5 km (? 3 miles) downhill and took almost 90 minutes: at the end I was buggered, my feet hurt something terrible and it took nearly an hour in a cafe before I felt able to struggle to the bus stop to get home.

And I started taking smaller meals. I figured, there was no point in complaining (to myself) about the weight of my pack, if the real problem was my girth.

And, I created spreadsheet to record details of my local training trips and to note multi-day trips (local or Europe)

The weight log says it took 30 months to get from well over BMI 30 (obese) to the top of the "normal" BMI range.

My trip log says it took 3 months to achieve a trip exceeding 30 km (just) (about 18 miles). And for 2012 I completed 33 trips, covered 837 km (about 520 miles) and averaged 4.84 km (almost 3 miles) per hour.

As I was in no rush, I took time to trial, test and gather the gear I wanted. As I had been a tramper (think AT lite) in my 20s and 30s, I had some modes to fall back on. But I knew that the backpacks now available locally were too heavy (more than 20% of the total limit) and had other deficiencies, as I saw them.

In the event I had four years of weight reduction (and holding it), getting fit (see @Joynz above) and getting my gear together.

I started from Le Puy-en-Velay (south central France) in early April 2016 and started from Saint-Jean on 1 May. That morning I was in the middle of the peloton (the first group started about 30 minutes before me). I had dressed with a short sleeved top for a cool morning and I knew to shorten my step on the steep bits, maintain my pace and breathe at a constant rate. These were things I had learnt in my training trips and in coming across France and were now second nature for me.

Having said the above, I do recognise we are all different in our thinking and outlook..

I am particularly taken, for example, by the narrative above from @Robo. I have followed his journeys for many years now and think highly of him (even with the rice cooker episode!).

And I say to you kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident) and hope to hear of your achievements from time to time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good Afternoon from Snowy New York! I want to document / get advice on a training plan for my Camino. Today, 12/7/23 marks 6 months until My Walk commences on the ground, on or around June 7th 2024 so I figured 6 months out is a good time to figure out how to prepare.

See my intro post here: Intro Thread

Copied from my Intro Post:

"I was quite the athlete back in "the day" but am finding myself very PLUS size / overweight presently (I believe the technical term is morbidly obese). I am a full disclosure human and have no problem sharing that I am currently, 5ft 4in and 240lbs, with very high body fat. I will post about these challenges as I would like your thoughts on some of the different things I find myself having to consider given my size. I am planning a slower walk due to this!"

Considerations for Training Plan:

1) Route is the Portuguese Coastal Way / Senda Littoral from Porto to Santiago about 187km/178km.
2) Planning around 20 days to complete, with shorter stages. Avg = 9miles/day.
3) Starting weight is 240 lbs for age 37F, quite under muscled
4) Very out of shape and broken but still somewhat active (pickleball, short walks, pilates, yoga)
5) Chronic left ankle issues and surgeries
6) Chronic right knee issues that have caused quad and glute atrophy
7) Muscle imbalances due to the above
8) No medical issues to speak of aside from a low thyroid / Hashimotos and my doc has no concerns, all clear!
9) I am generally a low energy person. Yes I currently do things like play pickleball, pilates, yoga, walk to work, but I already dread/avoid activity outside those dedicated times. I am hoping this plan gives me an overall more active lifestyle. I am a CPA and sit on my a$$ all day (and have since 2007).

My Training Plan for the Winter Months 12/7/23-3/7/24:

Weekly:
Stretching Routine: Develop morning and evening stretching habit (will service me well on The Walk)

Pilates: 2x/wk (Wed evening and Sat late morning)

Slow Flow & Yin Yoga: 2x/wk (Wed evening and Sat late morning)

Pickleball (Level 3.5-4.0 intense play): 2-3x/wk (Fri, Sun, and another day maybe M/Th) + some tournaments and training sessions w/ private coach

Weight Training: Simple Full body routine with increasing weights 3x /week. (M, W, and maybe either Fri or Sat)

PT and Injury Prevention Work: Perform PT routine + Knees Over Toes / Knee Ability Zero routine on days before weight training 3x / wk (M, W, and either Fri or Sat).

Treadmill Walking with Pack: I have access to a treadmill at work. I was thinking of doing 2hrs a day in the morning before work with a pack for the 3 days a week I work. I walk pretty slow right now, at about 2.25m/hr. I will increase the incline. Should I add in a longer weighted walk on the weekend? I dread the treadmill, so boring, but I have accepted that it will be my device until March.

Snow Shoeing: I would like a goal of getting my a$$ outside during this winter on my show shoes. I find it to be such a low reward activity because I can't get far, but I love the cold and would like to get into it this winter. I think a good goal is 1 snow shoe per week. My daughter has some too, this will be good for us.

My Training Plan for the Spring Months 3/7/24-6/7/24:

Continue with routine as stated above for all else but walking.

Reverse/Backwards Walking:
Add 1hr of reverse walking each night. This helps my knee immensely.

Ramping up the mileage for the 3 months prior to the camino. I was thinking of walking parts of the Erie Canal Trail or Empire Trail here in Upstate NY which would tick those off my list. I have a list of friends who will walk some of these miles with me or I will be taking my daughter if I decide to bring her along on My Way.

March 2024: 4 days of walking 8m/day in a row with pack
April 2024: 6 days of walking 10m/day in a row with pack
May 2024: 5 days of walking 12m/day in a row with pack

Weight Loss Plan:

Hopefully the above consistency with exercise gives me some much needed muscle!

Goal: Lose 1lb / wk for the next 24 weeks before The Walk. The goal is therefore to lose 24lbs, bringing me down to 216lbs. This would be fantastic, I haven't weighed that "little" in 10 years.
Diet: Low Carb w/ a focus on animal proteins, over 100g of protein a day.
Restricted Foods: Alcohol only once a month at neighborhood wine night, limit high fat dairy like heavy cream, limit sugars
Calories: Cutting calories via tracking on My Fitness Pal + fasting and having only 2mad (2 meals a day)
Supplements: Consistent use of collagen peptites to help the joints, 40gr a day

I am mainly documenting this for myself, because maybe by posting it here I will stick to it!

I would love advice, in particlar on the "Ramp Up" plan the 3 months before the camino! Is it overkill? Is it not enough?

Thank you everyone!
I recommend swapping the animal protein for fruits and vegetables. Eliminate wheat, corn, dairy, soy and eggs. Eat only organic and only drink spring water. No alcohol or caffeine. Do not bring any food in the house that works against you. If man made it, don’t eat it and it it tastes good spit it out. When you get on the Camino just walk and have fun! You can always arrange for luggage transfer or even take a taxi on some days. Just have a good time!

My own experience of being a very overweight and unfit Pilgrim taught me this.
Your mileage may vary......... ;)

On my first Camino I got a Personal Trainer and did lots of training............
and got injured due to my excess bodyweight.

I walked my first 800 km Camino injured as a result..........and still very overweight.
I walked 18-25 km / day with the odd 30 km (that nearly crippled me).
I could barely walk 10 kms / day by the end.

2nd and 3rd Caminos, I did some very 'gentle' exercise with my wife Pat who was coming too.
We also walked much shorter days for her. 18 km average.
We tried to lose a bit of body weight without much success.
But the shorter days led to only 'manageable' injuries. Plantaar Facitis and Achilles Tendonitis.
No shin splints this time.

4th and longest Camino (1200 kms this year)
I focussed 95% on weight loss. with very little training.
I lost 18 kg through intermittent fasting.
The Camino was easy this time without any injury or discomfort.
I managed to just get into the BMI range of overweight rather than my normal 'obese'.
So I was still 'fat'. But it made a huge difference.

My 'training' these days consists of a few gentle 5 km walks in the weeks before I depart.
Maybe 2 / week. Carrying a light pack.
Then I 'warm up' on Camino, building up my days slowly.
10 kms, 14 kms, 18 kms, 20 kms etc. My sweet spot is 20-25 kms / day.
I think this gradual 'warm up' is key.
Many people seem to get injured in the first 7-10 days by traying to walk too far too fast.
IMHO, you need to ease into it unless you are starting out as a fit strong hiker!

I have a regular debate with my business partner who is really skinny.
He keeps telling me to exercise more prior to my Caminos........
As this will help me lose weight.

I just ask him how much exercise it would take to lose the weight gained by eating a Big Mac!
(A brisk walk for about 90 mins)............

Much easier not to eat the fatty/excess foods in the first place ;);)
Which is hard for a food and wine lover...........but it's still easier than becoming a gym junkie and seeing slow progress.

Your 1 lb / week is a sensible and 'maintainable' goal.
Too big a goal is very hard to maintain.

When in 'training' for a Camino I weigh myself daily and have charts of my progress.
I start out at 1 kg / week and tail back to 500 gms as I get closer to my goal.
I start about 6 months out.

Keeping the weight off post Camino is my next challenge :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But hey. You sound determined.
You just need to find a preparation regime that will work for you! ;)

Hello Robo! Thanks so much for taking the time out of your week last week to share your insight with me. I completely agree that the training will not equate to weight loss, at least it never has for me! It was more to condition my body before The Way!

While I currently enjoy the activities I am doing ... pilates, pickleball, weight training, etc. after everyone's responses my overall take is that nothing will get you more ready for the Trek than walking. I am considering replacing some pickleball time with more walking.

I appreciate you sharing your experience, that focusing on weight loss, rather than training, yielded the best results for you. I am going to heed that advice, and make sure I make my diet plan non-negotiable, which essentially fasting, low carb, higher protein, limited sugars and alcohol, and limiting high fat foods that I tend to overeat (bacon, dairy, nuts).

Thank you again Robo :) Bom Caminho!

In January 2012, my wife got some very bad health news. A few days later she looked at me and challenged me to "do the walk in northern Spain, when I am gone".

I opened a weight record spreadsheet from 10 years before and started recording. I was now well and truly in the "obese" category.

And I started walking.
My first walk was 5 km (? 3 miles) downhill and took almost 90 minutes: at the end I was buggered, my feet hurt something terrible and it took nearly an hour in a cafe before I felt able to struggle to the bus stop to get home.

And I started taking smaller meals. I figured, there was no point in complaining (to myself) about the weight of my pack, if the real problem was my girth.

And, I created spreadsheet to record details of my local training trips and to note multi-day trips (local or Europe)

The weight log says it took 30 months to get from well over BMI 30 (obese) to the top of the "normal" BMI range.

My trip log says it took 3 months to achieve a trip exceeding 30 km (just) (about 18 miles). And for 2012 I completed 33 trips, covered 837 km (about 520 miles) and averaged 4.84 km (almost 3 miles) per hour.

As I was in no rush, I took time to trial, test and gather the gear I wanted. As I had been a tramper (think AT lite) in my 20s and 30s, I had some modes to fall back on. But I knew that the backpacks now available locally were too heavy (more than 20% of the total limit) and had other deficiencies, as I saw them.

In the event I had four years of weight reduction (and holding it), getting fit (see @Joynz above) and getting my gear together.

I started from Le Puy-en-Velay (south central France) in early April 2016 and started from Saint-Jean on 1 May. That morning I was in the middle of the peloton (the first group started about 30 minutes before me). I had dressed with a short sleeved top for a cool morning and I knew to shorten my step on the steep bits, maintain my pace and breathe at a constant rate. These were things I had learnt in my training trips and in coming across France and were now second nature for me.

Having said the above, I do recognise we are all different in our thinking and outlook..

I am particularly taken, for example, by the narrative above from @Robo. I have followed his journeys for many years now and think highly of him (even with the rice cooker episode!).

And I say to you kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident) and hope to hear of your achievements from time to time.
Alwyn - My condolences on the loss of your wife.

I love your approach. Calculated yet unhurried. I am Certified Accountant, so data is helpful to me as well. Also, it is very hard to argue with facts when they are made known to you.

I have been reading a lot and everyone seems to focus so much on the pack weight, but I agree with you, I need to focus on reducing my own weight in conjunction with having an efficient pack weight.

You will surely hear from me again!

What a story you shared with me! I am grateful. Gracias / Obrigado!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recommend swapping the animal protein for fruits and vegetables. Eliminate wheat, corn, dairy, soy and eggs. Eat only organic and only drink spring water. No alcohol or caffeine. Do not bring any food in the house that works against you. If man made it, don’t eat it and it it tastes good spit it out. When you get on the Camino just walk and have fun! You can always arrange for luggage transfer or even take a taxi on some days. Just have a good time!
Hello! Thanks for your thoughts :)

I tend to be an all or nothing person, so the idea of luggage transfer and/or taxi makes me feel a certain way, but the more stories I hear and research I do, has given me some grace to make this My Camino.

You've had some excellent advice from the people who are basically taking a sensible approach, and advising that you do your training at a reasonable--even slow--pace.

I'm going to add one more major piece of advice, and it applies to both training/fitness and life in general. In a few words, in order to be successful and keep it up for more than short bursts at the beginning, you have to LIKE what you're doing.

I do not always follow my own advice, but I've been sort of in continual training (for life) for literally decades (I'll be 77 in March). And I've never done a complete Camino because I know that I get bored following a routine for more than a week. I have loved walking and hiking since I was a very young child, hanging out with my father, who had recently returned from the Army after World War II. During that time I also discovered that I loved swimming even more. Did most of my competitive swimming as an adult; before Title IX, there were very, very few high school and college swimming teams for girls/women, but I always swam laps to keep both stress levels and weight down. Now I'm more into endurance and swim 250+ miles a year. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to prevent burn-out and really ease back on swimming until January, since I'm already over 250 miles. And Thursday I had to sub for two other yoga instructors who couldn't teach that day, and I swam 1.5 miles in between. Now I'm kind of achy.

And I still work--when I feel like it on projects and with people I like. Somehow I managed this for most of my several careers, too, and didn't retire until a few years ago. And clients and employers have always gotten more than their money's worth from me.

Now I think I'm going to work in the yard for a bit and then take a short walk . It's a beautiful day here in coastal South Carolina, but I paid my dues in northern Ohio, upstate New York and Toronto and Kingston, Ontario for many years.

Take care and have a good time.
Thank you for sharing your love for being active and also your tendency toward getting "bored" for lack of a better word, with some of it. I can absolutely relate!

Here are my suggestions:

Training
While losing weight will reduce the stress on your body, you can still get fitter even without losing large amounts of weight!

Just walking with a back pack (start very light) to build up toward the distances you want to walk on the first day or two will get you fit enough. Include some steps too. It’s actually a bit boring doing this around local streets, so try to do a couple of longer day hikes in nature.

When you are actually on the Camino, it will be very interesting and you can go slowly, take breaks - and also it’s easier to achieve the extra distance compared to walking at home.

Pacerpoles

Because they are designed by a physiotherapist, they have ergonomic hand grips and allow you to ‘push off’ with your hands more than other poles uphill and on the flat. This will take pressure off your ankles and knees. They also work going down hill. The instructions for using them are amazing too.

Ankle / knee support
Get your physiotherapist’s advice about proper ankle and ankle braces If you need them. I used knee braces and they were very helpful.

Shoes
if you need a lot of cushioning in your shoes I can highly recommend Altra Olympus trail runners. They are wide too. But use arch support inner soles in them. I use the kind of innersoles that have a plastic shell under the bottom 2/3rds, with gel under the heel and forefoot.

Chafing

Blisters are caused by ‘shear’ between the layers of skin. Wear injinji synthetic liner toe socks under wool mix hiking socks.

The liner toe socks have ‘cool max’ that wicks away sweat. The ‘toes’ stop blister forming between your toes.

The two layers of socks work move the ‘shear’ from your skin layers to between the sock layers.
Thank you so much Joy! I have been thinking I might need some bodyglide. I've never used to but have some in my amazon shopping cart, I'm generally quite sweaty and will be testing it out on longer walks.

I'm currently wearing the Altra Alpines and find them to be very comfortable but I wonder if they are not breathable enough for July?

I have the olympus in my shopping cart. I will consider them! I typically wear barefoot style shoes so having that much cushioning makes me nervous! Barefoot style shoes are the only thing that cured my plantar fasciitis but the camino is A LOT more walking than I'm used to and I want to have a little protection. Thanks for the recommend!

I've never heard of liners until this group, and I have to research them more. Thank you.

Thank you very much Joy for taking the time to respond to me and share your wisdom!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your plan sounds elaborate, but like others, I caution you not to overtrain. I walked the CF in 2016 with someone who didn't know he'd left home with a broken bone in his foot until he returned home. He thought the recurring pain was from the walk or his shoes.

I agree with others that your current weight in a nonfactor. You'll meet pilgrims from teenagers to octogenarians with virtually every body type. Just listen to your body and move at your own pace. Even if you travel with someone or develop a Camino family, you can easily make a plan to meet for meals and accommodations. It's great to walk alone or with other Pilgrims that match your pace.

My advice is to increase your steps per day and then put in a long hike (over 5 miles) in an unpaved nature trail on the weekends. That will give you the chance to perfect the use of hiking poles and adjust to walking on uneven ground with unexpected obstacles (roots, trees, rocks, etc.). If you have the opportunity to climb a steeper ascent, take it. My daily goal before the CF was 20,000 steps a day. I bought a step climber with tension straps to work out at home while bingeing my favorite shows. So, I was usually able to keep pace with the younger members of my Camino family (5-6 km/hr on flat ground, 2-3 km/hr uphill) and walk 6-8 hours.
Sunny Health Stepper

Your yoga will help begin or end a day of walking. My muscles were super tight the first week, so I started each morning with sun salutations to stretch out my back, thighs and calves. Most albergues have courtyards, lawns or lobbies that are perfect for a yoga workout.

I think you're going to have a brilliant time. Buen Camino!
Cha! Thanks for sharing that stepper with me, I follow a famous person on instagram actually and she uses the stepper, she has gotten quite fit from it!

Thanks for the yoga at the Albergues tip! I am really trying to stick to my stretching. It helps with pickleball and I know it will only serve me well as my walking ramps up.

Obrigado!

I would suggest the backpack during training because this is a good chance to be sure it’s comfortable for a whole day - and if by some chance the OP gets fitter but doesn’t lost weight, they have trained with the extra weight. However, would also be fine to just add the back pack closer to departure time…
I will be! I have 3 packs that just arrived, nothing was available locally. So I will be at least walking around my house and returning the ones that aren't comfortable from the beginning. I've never walked with a pack, so I really want to make sure it fits right. My body is a bit of an anomaly, I have the world's longest torso but a big butt and smaller back, so I actually need a women's XS sized pack. Makes no sense, I know, but when I got fitted years ago for a day pack the were confused as well that I needed a women's XS. Anyway, I am working on the pack early! Thanks!

You have given yourself lots of time to prepare - sounds like a really good start already. I am not a disciplined person and think that many others are similar - very few of us are these disciplined paragons of virtue that we think others are. My best laid plans often go haywire half way through the day and the walk/healthy eating I had planned for that day don't go to plan!

I've found that keeping in mind that tomorrow is always another day and that I am not a 'failure' though things might gone better. Then tomorrow is indeed another day and a fresh start! Just keep going one way or another and you will get there. All good wishes with your best efforts!!
All or Nothing mindset is real! My hubby had a last minute trip out of town ALL WEEK, which completely changed my routine this week from the plan. But I am doing what I can, when I can. Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My suggestion is as follows:

SLOW DOWN!

Question: Are you working with a trainer and/or seeing a physical therapist now??

I must advise caution here. I understand that you have consulted with and been cleared by your physician to undertake this walk. You would do well to seek a professional trainer to work with you, if you don’t have one already. Given your physical injuries, walking on a treadmill with a back pack for such lengths of time might not be advisable!?

Why not take a kinder, gentler approach. Many folks who go on a camino, wind up lifers. The Camino becomes part of their DNA. Or they add other walking/adventure challenges.
Your 24lb weight loss goal is doable in 6 months. In my honest opinion, your training program may not be an appropriate one for where you may physically be at this point. Seek out someone who can work with you. I know you are looking for assistance from us and am excited for you that you want to walk! But, I encourage you to consult with someone who can assess exactly where you are, physically and Guide you as you prepare for this adventure!

Consider using a transport service for your pack daily, or as needed. You can decide upon that later, but given the ankle and knee injuries and body weight it might be advisable.
Hello! Thanks for your caution here. My Doc is actually a personal trainer. I am doing most of these activities already, and walking 5m 3-4 days a week. He has no reservations!

I was mainly asking for assistance on the walking distance / time ramp up plan!

The more I learn about the transport services for a pack, the more I am coming to terms with the idea that might be a good route for me. Thanks for sharing. My biggest concern is that I am plus size, and cannot buy clothing in EU likely, so if my baggage gets lost I will be but naked walking The Camino, which is NOT the look I am going for.

Thanks!

I have the world's longest torso but a big butt and smaller back, so I actually need a women's XS sized pack.
It is definitely odd that you have a long torso yet need a women's XS pack. Backpack size mostly depends on torso length. I would suggest getting another opinion on this. Also, some backpacks are adjustable in torso length.

Edited to add: You might find this thread, and this one by @davebugg to be helpful.

Last edited:
It is definitely odd that you have a long torso yet need a women's XS pack. Backpack size mostly depends on torso length. I would suggest getting another opinion on this. Also, some backpacks are adjustable in torso length.

Edited to add: You might find this thread, and this one by @davebugg to be helpful.
Okay so yes in theory its based on Torso Length, but I was fitted by a professional and he said when women in particular have a big and HIGH butt, back size/length is the limiting factor. In the sewing world this is called a "sway back" and it requires extra attention for proper fit. The medium and large packs were very uncomfortable and did not sit correctly on my hips. I am now finding the same goes even for the O/S that I have been walking around the house with.

Thank you very much for sending along those links, I will definitely check them out I will be trying all the packs to make sure the fit is right!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm 6"3", 134kg (295lbs, seeing that you are american). Yes I have a fair bit of muscle mass, but still fat and unfit. I am now planning my 3rd camino.

My input as a heavy person is to train on treadmill at 8-12% at about 5-5.5km per hour (3.1-3.5mph) and just build your fitness that way. ultimately you want to get to the point where you can go for a solid hour at that %. If you can get to two hours, you'll be flying. BUT, iF you need, go slower. If you can, go faster. but try to keep that incline % where it is.

Most important thing to exercise is your head. As a heavy person there will be times you tell yourself you can't make it, or that soreness is more than what it is. In fact, on both my caminos I have cursed myself a times, often multiple times a day, but that's ok. you get to the end of the day, relax, and that goes away, good food, good sleep and you go again the next day.

Your mind will let you down more than your body, so prepare for that.

Last edited:
Most important thing to exercise is your head. As a heavy person there will be times you tell yourself you can't make it, or that soreness is more than what it is.
I agree. Although I have lost some weight recently and feel stronger and more healthy as a result I am still obese according to UK health standards. At the peak of my weight and the nadir of my physical condition I was on the borderline of qualifying for bariatric surgery. Yet even then I was capable of walking and enjoying a 40km day carrying a pack on occasion. I am sure that was largely due to confidence and past experience rather than any personal physiological quirk on my part. Knowing that I had often done so before in similar circumstances. I am convinced that many of those who walk Caminos are limited more by their expectations of themselves than by their actual physical condition.

Last edited:
I'm 6"3", 134kg (295lbs, seeing that you are american). Yes I have a fair bit of muscle mass, but still fat and unfit. I am now planning my 3rd camino.

My input as a heavy person is to train on treadmill at 8-12% at about 5-5.5km per hour (3.1-3.5mph) and just build your fitness that way. ultimately you want to get to the point where you can go for a solid hour at that %. If you can get to two hours, you'll be flying. BUT, iF you need, go slower. If you can, go faster. but try to keep that incline % where it is.

Most important thing to exercise is your head. As a heavy person there will be times you tell yourself you can't make it, or that soreness is more than what it is. In fact, on both my caminos I have cursed myself a times, often multiple times a day, but that's ok. you get to the end of the day, relax, and that goes away, good food, good sleep and you go again the next day.

Your mind will let you down more than your body, so prepare for that.
Thank you Returning for offering your perspective. I was thinking of adding incline too, thanks for the specific %. I will do that once I get on the treadmill, next week it begins!

You're right on that. Everything is in my head. I am like Jekyll and Hyde right now, I have the utmost confidence in myself some moments and then other moments am in panic.

When is your next? Bom Caminho!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree. Although I have lost some weight recently and feel stronger and more healthy as a result I am still obese according to UK health standards. At the peak of my weight and the nadir of my physical condition I was on the borderline of qualifying for bariatric surgery. Yet even then I was capable of walking and enjoying a 40km day carrying a pack on occasion. I am sure that was largely due to confidence and past experience rather than any personal physiological quirk on my part. Knowing that I had often done so before in similar circumstances. I am convinced that many of those who walk Caminos are limited more by their expectations of themselves than by their actual physical condition.
Oh wow Brady! Just your comment right there has given me confidence. I can always do more than I think. I just want to know that I prepared myself as best I could. I live in constant fear of injury (left ankle, right knee, falling and hurting wrists/hands) so I just want to do the best I can do to enjoy, experience, meditate, see the sights, etc on my camino.

Thanks for sharing with me Brady.

Thank you Returning for offering your perspective. I was thinking of adding incline too, thanks for the specific %. I will do that once I get on the treadmill, next week it begins!

You're right on that. Everything is in my head. I am like Jekyll and Hyde right now, I have the utmost confidence in myself some moments and then other moments am in panic.

When is your next? Bom Caminho!
It's because I've been where you are. I've always been a walker, so that helps. you might not be able to manage that % incline at first, but definitely put at least 4% on the very next time you walk. there is simply no substitute for incline. weight usually drips off me if I do extended walks on long incline. On each camino, I found Day 6-9 are usually the hardest days, your head will tell you all sorts of things, but any soreness is temporary Be prepared for Hyde to come out. But I can assure you, the eurphoria of pushing through that is worth every inch of soreness you may have.

if I don't start the De la plata by mid April, I will not start it until Mid October. Not the camino to be on during the height of summer.

Buen CAmino.

100% agee with this. I did no training (only decided to do it (Porto to Santiago) the day before I started), am slightly overweight, and of course everyone is different. You can get injured or ill of course, but that can happen anywhere, but in 3 caminos (CF/Norte/Portuguese), I have yet to see anyone fail to complete the course from start to finish, no matter how old or out of shape! You will be fine, by not carrying too much and just putting one foot in front of another from city to city and town to town.

Don’t overthink it. It not Everest Base Camp or Kilimanjaro with possible altitude, dehydration and food issues. It like a quite a few consecutive laps of Central Park! In fact a few walks from south Manhattan up to the north and past the park may be good training!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
100% agee with this. I did no training (only decided to do it (Porto to Santiago) the day before I started), am slightly overweight, and of course everyone is different. You can get injured or ill of course, but that can happen anywhere, but in 3 caminos (CF/Norte/Portuguese), I have yet to see anyone fail to complete the course from start to finish, no matter how old or out of shape! You will be fine, by not carrying too much and just putting one foot in front of another from city to city and town to town.

Don’t overthink it. It not Everest Base Camp or Kilimanjaro with possible altitude, dehydration and food issues. It like a quite a few consecutive laps of Central Park! In fact a few walks from south Manhattan up to the north and past the park may be good training!!
It is so funny you say that, walking the central park loops is part of my training plan :) I am a city girl, used to live by central park west!

It is so funny you say that, walking the central park loops is part of my training plan :) I am a city girl, used to live by central park west!
Great. Central Park West eh!! Very nice!!

I am not frrom USA but love a long walk from the Staten Island Ferry Port ( or Brooklyn Bridge) up to the Apollo Theatre Theatre on 125th. Probably too much for one walk, you can break at CP, but it’s exhilarating! Nothing will make you love NYC more and feel prouder of your city! It will make exercise seem great rather than a chore!

Last edited:
Good Afternoon from Snowy New York! I want to document / get advice on a training plan for my Camino. Today, 12/7/23 marks 6 months until My Walk commences on the ground, on or around June 7th 2024 so I figured 6 months out is a good time to figure out how to prepare.

See my intro post here: Intro Thread

Copied from my Intro Post:

"I was quite the athlete back in "the day" but am finding myself very PLUS size / overweight presently (I believe the technical term is morbidly obese). I am a full disclosure human and have no problem sharing that I am currently, 5ft 4in and 240lbs, with very high body fat. I will post about these challenges as I would like your thoughts on some of the different things I find myself having to consider given my size. I am planning a slower walk due to this!"

Considerations for Training Plan:

1) Route is the Portuguese Coastal Way / Senda Littoral from Porto to Santiago about 187km/178km.
2) Planning around 20 days to complete, with shorter stages. Avg = 9miles/day.
3) Starting weight is 240 lbs for age 37F, quite under muscled
4) Very out of shape and broken but still somewhat active (pickleball, short walks, pilates, yoga)
5) Chronic left ankle issues and surgeries
6) Chronic right knee issues that have caused quad and glute atrophy
7) Muscle imbalances due to the above
8) No medical issues to speak of aside from a low thyroid / Hashimotos and my doc has no concerns, all clear!
9) I am generally a low energy person. Yes I currently do things like play pickleball, pilates, yoga, walk to work, but I already dread/avoid activity outside those dedicated times. I am hoping this plan gives me an overall more active lifestyle. I am a CPA and sit on my a$$ all day (and have since 2007).

My Training Plan for the Winter Months 12/7/23-3/7/24:

Weekly:
Stretching Routine: Develop morning and evening stretching habit (will service me well on The Walk)

Pilates: 2x/wk (Wed evening and Sat late morning)

Slow Flow & Yin Yoga: 2x/wk (Wed evening and Sat late morning)

Pickleball (Level 3.5-4.0 intense play): 2-3x/wk (Fri, Sun, and another day maybe M/Th) + some tournaments and training sessions w/ private coach

Weight Training: Simple Full body routine with increasing weights 3x /week. (M, W, and maybe either Fri or Sat)

PT and Injury Prevention Work: Perform PT routine + Knees Over Toes / Knee Ability Zero routine on days before weight training 3x / wk (M, W, and either Fri or Sat).

Treadmill Walking with Pack: I have access to a treadmill at work. I was thinking of doing 2hrs a day in the morning before work with a pack for the 3 days a week I work. I walk pretty slow right now, at about 2.25m/hr. I will increase the incline. Should I add in a longer weighted walk on the weekend? I dread the treadmill, so boring, but I have accepted that it will be my device until March.

Snow Shoeing: I would like a goal of getting my a$$ outside during this winter on my show shoes. I find it to be such a low reward activity because I can't get far, but I love the cold and would like to get into it this winter. I think a good goal is 1 snow shoe per week. My daughter has some too, this will be good for us.

My Training Plan for the Spring Months 3/7/24-6/7/24:

Continue with routine as stated above for all else but walking.

Reverse/Backwards Walking:
Add 1hr of reverse walking each night. This helps my knee immensely.

Ramping up the mileage for the 3 months prior to the camino. I was thinking of walking parts of the Erie Canal Trail or Empire Trail here in Upstate NY which would tick those off my list. I have a list of friends who will walk some of these miles with me or I will be taking my daughter if I decide to bring her along on My Way.

March 2024: 4 days of walking 8m/day in a row with pack
April 2024: 6 days of walking 10m/day in a row with pack
May 2024: 5 days of walking 12m/day in a row with pack

Weight Loss Plan:

Hopefully the above consistency with exercise gives me some much needed muscle!

Goal: Lose 1lb / wk for the next 24 weeks before The Walk. The goal is therefore to lose 24lbs, bringing me down to 216lbs. This would be fantastic, I haven't weighed that "little" in 10 years.
Diet: Low Carb w/ a focus on animal proteins, over 100g of protein a day.
Restricted Foods: Alcohol only once a month at neighborhood wine night, limit high fat dairy like heavy cream, limit sugars
Calories: Cutting calories via tracking on My Fitness Pal + fasting and having only 2mad (2 meals a day)
Supplements: Consistent use of collagen peptites to help the joints, 40gr a day

I would love advice, in particlar on the "Ramp Up" plan the 3 months before the camino! Is it overkill? Is it not enough?

Thank you everyone!
Hi Lauren! That's an amazing schedule you have planned out, and so much great advice from others.
I would encourage you to find a therapist who is trained in John Barnes Myofascial Release. This therapy really helps you achieve balance in your body, which greatly decreases your chance of injury, and helps heal the old stuff. It also removes physical resistance so walking is easier.
I wish you all the best, and may you receive everything you need during your training, and especially during your Camino 😍

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Lauren! That's an amazing schedule you have planned out, and so much great advice from others.
I would encourage you to find a therapist who is trained in John Barnes Myofascial Release. This therapy really helps you achieve balance in your body, which greatly decreases your chance of injury, and helps heal the old stuff. It also removes physical resistance so walking is easier.
I wish you all the best, and may you receive everything you need during your training, and especially during your Camino 😍
Yehta - Thank you so much for chiming in. I have never heard of this, I need all the help I can get!! Will be looking into, my birthday is in January, so maybe I will do this as a treat to myself!

Obrigado!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Here are my suggestions:

Training

Pacerpoles

Ankle / knee support

Shoes

Chafing

You had me at 'Pacer Poles'!

€60,-
When I walked my first Camino (Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres/Fisterra) I was 53 yo, unfit and about 20kg overweight.

I did no training in advance and was very uncomfortable during my first two weeks. By the time I reached Fisterra I had lost 15 kg and was fit as a fiddle. I treated those first two weeks as my training period and heeded the advice: "start as an old person. finish as a much younger person."

It worked for me, but maybe not for you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked my first Camino (Mozarabe/VdlP/Sanabres/Fisterra) I was 53 yo, unfit and about 20kg overweight.

I did no training in advance and was very uncomfortable during my first two weeks. By the time I reached Fisterra I had lost 15 kg and was fit as a fiddle. I treated those first two weeks as my training period and heeded the advice: "start as an old person. finish as a much younger person."

That sounds quite ideal! Being 100lbs overweight with some knee issues I’m just trying to prepare as best I can, esp because I’ll be traveling alone with my daughter!

I agree. In some ways; I find the shorter Caminos more challenging for exactly that reason. When I did my first Camino (the Frances) I thought I was pretty much 'trail-ready' but the Pyrenees were a reminder that I should have done more hill-training!
No problem finishing though; just took it a day at a time and adjusted pace/number of breaks/ daily distance as necessary.
Doing the Camino Ingles this year which is only around 6 days. Planning on doing The Finisterre loop after my week of acclimatisation in Week One though. 😃

I'm also in NYC and planning a summer camino. I signed up for The Great Saunter to jumpstart my training.

I am from a place quite distant from NYC. And I can get on a plane, and 15 hours later, get off at at JFK.

With a niece and family living in Kingston, Ontario (just a few hundred km away, right?) I toyed with the idea of walking the Empire State Trail through Albany and up to the border at Rouse Point.

Using the waymarked trails app (link here) I noticed the trail to Albany at least seemed to encounter few towns that might provide coffee stops and/or meals en route.

Would that be you understanding also? Or have I missed something?

Kia kaha (take care be strong)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@laurenligreci, kia ora (greetings, I hope your are well) from way down under.

We are headings towards the end of summer with autumn creeping in later in March.

I am struggling with getting my weight down the last three 3kg (6 lbs?) and getting fit. And I can say, with great confidence, 32 miles - 50 km for me - would be an impossibility in one day for me.

The Great Saunter and the various walks in Central Park would be grand if they were repeated down here.

Regrettably, all my training walks of more than 10 km (6 miles?) involve hills ascents of around 100 metres (300 feet?). But good experience for me for a camino in Spain.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident)

I am from a place quite distant from NYC. And I can get on a plane, and 15 hours later, get off at at JFK.

With a niece and family living in Kingston, Ontario (just a few hundred km away, right?) I toyed with the idea of walking the Empire State Trail through Albany and up to the border at Rouse Point.

Using the waymarked trails app (link here) I noticed the trail to Albany at least seemed to encounter few towns that might provide coffee stops and/or meals en route.

Would that be you understanding also? Or have I missed something?

Kia kaha (take care be strong)
Hello! I live about 20 minutes from Albany but am not overly familiar with the trails. I know the areas aren't exactly, elegant. There is not much for little coffee shops and things like that here. I would hate for you to be let down! Many folks here use All Trails app, that app might have more info!

I plan to walk some of the empire trail as part of my training. I will be walking with a pack with my things, I won't be relying on the trail to provide anything.

I hope this was helpful!

Hello! I live about 20 minutes from Albany but am not overly familiar with the trails. I know the areas aren't exactly, elegant. There is not much for little coffee shops and things like that here. I would hate for you to be let down! Many folks here use All Trails app, that app might have more info!

I plan to walk some of the empire trail as part of my training. I will be walking with a pack with my things, I won't be relying on the trail to provide anything.

I hope this was helpful!
I am not from USA so forgive me if geography is out, but Albany can’t be too far from the Catskill Mountains which must have some good treks?

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am not from USA so forgive me if geography is out, but Albany can’t be too far from the Catskill Mountains which must have some good treks?

Hello!! There are LOTS of trails here. The catskills are about an hour south of Albany and 2 hours North of NYC. The beginning of Adirondacks are an hour north of Albany and therefore 4 hours north of NYC. There is also the 12mile central park loop in NYC. What you will NOT find here, is any sort of food, snack, water, or accommodation infrastructure on any trails. I just want to make that clear, I do not want you to think there is any food or drink or bathrooms on any trails here because to my knowledge (and pretty good experience) there is nothing trailside! I hope you do come here, its beautiful. There are many beautiful hikes around the Lake George area which also has of course a beautiful lake.

I might walk the central park loop in April as part of my preparation. I've never walked 12 miles in a day but really need to start upping my mileage!

Bom Caminho!

Hello!! There are LOTS of trails here. The catskills are about an hour south of Albany and 2 hours North of NYC. The beginning of Adirondacks are an hour north of Albany and therefore 4 hours north of NYC. There is also the 12mile central park loop in NYC. What you will NOT find here, is any sort of food, snack, water, or accommodation infrastructure on any trails. I just want to make that clear, I do not want you to think there is any food or drink or bathrooms on any trails here because to my knowledge (and pretty good experience) there is nothing trailside! I hope you do come here, its beautiful. There are many beautiful hikes around the Lake George area which also has of course a beautiful lake.

I might walk the central park loop in April as part of my preparation. I've never walked 12 miles in a day but really need to start upping my mileage!

Bom Caminho!
Ah thank you! Central Park loop sound a great option. I like a south to north Manhattan walk but it’s hard surface and, well, not quite the same vibe as Camino walking!!! Good luck!

@laurenligreci, kia ora (greetings, I hope your are well) from way down under.

We are headings towards the end of summer with autumn creeping in later in March.

I am struggling with getting my weight down the last three 3kg (6 lbs?) and getting fit. And I can say, with great confidence, 32 miles - 50 km for me - would be an impossibility in one day for me.

The Great Saunter and the various walks in Central Park would be grand if they were repeated down here.

Regrettably, all my training walks of more than 10 km (6 miles?) involve hills ascents of around 100 metres (300 feet?). But good experience for me for a camino in Spain.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, patient and confident)
Hello in Australia!

I have lost virtually no weight but I have gained some muscle, I can feel it everywhere! I am going to start cutting back a bit on food (not a lot, but I just eat too much generally) in hopes to shed some weight before the BIG walk.

32 miles would be IMPOSSIBLE for me. I did some googling after that was mentioned, and my body wouldn't last. I plan on doing 10miles a day on the Camino!

I haven't done a training walk over 2 hours yet. I've been sick twice this winter and taken a regrettable 2 weeks off each time, just could not get back into it. The longest I've walked is maybe 4.5 miles in a row. My daily walk to work is 4 miles round trip and my weekly walk to pilates/yoga is about the same round trip. I need to start building up!

Thanks for sharing my friend.

Bom Caminho!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ah thank you! Central Park loop sound a great option. I like a south to north Manhattan walk but it’s hard surface and, well, not quite the same vibe as Camino walking!!! Good luck!
Let me know if/when you plan to walk the Central Park Loop and would want company! I need a little motivation to walk that long!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello in Australia!

I have lost virtually no weight but I have gained some muscle, I can feel it everywhere! I am going to start cutting back a bit on food (not a lot, but I just eat too much generally) in hopes to shed some weight before the BIG walk.

32 miles would be IMPOSSIBLE for me. I did some googling after that was mentioned, and my body wouldn't last. I plan on doing 10miles a day on the Camino!

I haven't done a training walk over 2 hours yet. I've been sick twice this winter and taken a regrettable 2 weeks off each time, just could not get back into it. The longest I've walked is maybe 4.5 miles in a row. My daily walk to work is 4 miles round trip and my weekly walk to pilates/yoga is about the same round trip. I need to start building up!

Thanks for sharing my friend.

Bom Caminho!
In past four years, moved three times, had Covid twice (has done a NUMBER on my breathing), food poisoning, right hip beautifully replaced and 9 months hunched over computer expat'ing myself from Missouri to Portugal. 2023-24, winter in Coimbra, gloom and rain, repeated often and unexpectedly, for three months. But is that stopping this overweight (you do NOT want to know) 79 year young grandmother from sauntering forth 11 April from Roncesvalles? Of course not! And nothing fits from Decathlon or Amazon? Looks like the rain poncho from Ivar is best choice! This time, unlike the three previous Caminos, I have all the time in the whole wide world. I may, I say I may, make it to Viskarret the 1st day. Don't care! No rush! Thinking 01 June return to Coimbra slimmer, fitter, as the heat gets hotter, to return to who knows which Camino in mid-September! Forclaz backpack is, so far, a miracle!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In past four years, moved three times, had Covid twice (has done a NUMBER on my breathing), food poisoning, right hip beautifully replaced and 9 months hunched over computer expat'ing myself from Missouri to Portugal. 2023-24, winter in Coimbra, gloom and rain, repeated often and unexpectedly, for three months. But is that stopping this overweight (you do NOT want to know) 79 year young grandmother from sauntering forth 11 April from Roncesvalles? Of course not! And nothing fits from Decathlon or Amazon? Looks like the rain poncho from Ivar is best choice! This time, unlike the three previous Caminos, I have all the time in the whole wide world. I may, I say I may, make it to Viskarret the 1st day. Don't care! No rush! Thinking 01 June return to Coimbra slimmer, fitter, as the heat gets hotter, to return to who knows which Camino in mid-September! Forclaz backpack is, so far, a miracle!
I absolutely LOVE your attitude! All the best to you! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.