• This section is a collection of FAQs on the Camino. No new questions can be posted here, but questions that are asked often will be move here by a moderator.
  • Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
  • Order your 2019 Camino Guide now.
    (6 2019 guides now shipping)
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

60 and over on the Camino

martyseville

Camino(s) past & future
a/a
Well over 70 here. Biked the French route few years ago. Went back and walked it. Since then walked the Portuguese and the Ingles.
This May I did the Norte.

By far the Norte was the toughest of all. But made it.

IMHO don't use a tour company for any camino! Period.

If bags are too heavy or you cannot walk long distance with a pack, then use a LAG van. Easy to find van/transport service to move your bag/pack to next anticipated layover.

The TOUR companies are a RIP OFF. No need for such.

Do your camino your way. Take your time. Train up some. But not too much.
Be smart, be safe, and you will be fine.

Take your time. Enjoy YOUR walk. YOUR way.

Good luck.
Blessings

Camino(s) past & future
(2016) ; 1st Camino ; Frances Way ; 2017 Camino Frances begins August 10,2017
Wife and I walked the Frances twice in 11 months (2016 & 2017) For each Camino we were 65 & 66 : 66 & 67 respectively. I had a heart attack in 2005, suffered temporary paralysis in 1999(recovered). On our first Camino Frances my wife broke a bone in her foot, as later affirmed by the surgeon and walked approx. 500 miles on that foot. Second Frances she did damage to tendons in her legs and ended up in the Univ. Hospital @ Burgos. I am going in for surgery on both knees at once in August 2018 just having MRI's done on them and finding torn meniscus and ligaments in both knees from pre-Camino days. In September 2019 we will be trekking the Via de la Plata which is just over 1000 miles. We don't think about our age but we do think about our physical health which we work closely with our medical professionals to heal,monitor and keep us informed. We know our limitations ... sort of. By the way, after my first Camino Frances, our cardiologist performed a heart catherization on me and found that in the "dead' part of my heart new blood vessels were formed and forming !!!! Trek On !!!! and Buen Camino :) Go for as long as you feel good, walk shorter days and definitely take rest days and remember ... IT IS NOT A RACE !!!! :)

Camino(s) past & future
In your third paragraph, ' start like an old woman...I walked from StJPdP to Santiago for my 80th birthday, with my own 13 lb pack. So I guess you would put me in that category, BUT....I passed 20 & 30 year olds who had to stop walking because of shin splints and infected blisters, so maybe reconsider what some 'old women' are capable of.

WOW !!! AMAZING !!!! Congratulations, I hope I can do that at 80 :D

Camino(s) past & future
I'm with you John! Last December when arriving again in Santiago at 75 I was totally pooped. Everything ached. After sitting in the cathedral to literally catch my breath and, of course, gave thanks, all felt easier. Now in the peace of retrospection the way calls once again.
lol ... exactly how we felt when we got to Santiago, came back 11 months later did it again and now planning the Via de la Plata for Sept. 2019, over 1000 miles and can't wait !!!! :)

Camino(s) past & future
I walked my first Camino from St Jean to Finistere in 39 days at the age of 79, and honestly I found it easy. I carried my pack all the way and stayed in albergues because I enjoyed meeting people of all ages from all over the world. But I was very fit because I had done a decent walk of 20kms or so carrying my pack about twice a week, and most of the other days walked locally for about 2 hours. Since then I have walked the Frances 3 more times and several other Caminos. Never had feet problem. Never had a blister. I think the secret is fitness.
You are my hero...wow !!!

Camino(s) past & future
May (2013)
I did the Santiago pilgrimage back in 2013. and I know want to do Santiago to Finisterre. I find the walks are a little long when going through an agency, so perhaps I can do it on my own and take 4 - 5 days. I am a 65 year old female walking solo (or sola)...any suggestions on the stops just doing 10 miles per day, and how to have my suitcase transported from albergue or hotel to hotel. I am unable to carry the weight. Thank you

yma01blue

Camino(s) past & future
npne
I did the Santiago pilgrimage back in 2013. and I know want to do Santiago to Finisterre. I find the walks are a little long when going through an agency, so perhaps I can do it on my own and take 4 - 5 days. I am a 65 year old female walking solo (or sola)...any suggestions on the stops just doing 10 miles per day, and how to have my suitcase transported from albergue or hotel to hotel. I am unable to carry the weight. Thank you
I'm in the same boat as you, so am interested in any responses you receive.

Jodean

Camino(s) past & future
22 Sept. to 21 Oct. 2015, Pamplona to Santiago
6-23.04 Porto to Santiago 2018
17.09-30.09 CF 2018
63 and starting mid Sept. in SJPDP. Hope to meet some of you along the way!

Did almost half the CF when I was 60, did the Portugeuse Camino with my daughter this past April, but am really, really excited for this Camino.

I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.
Over
[]I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Dont even think of tour with support. You can always forward backpack some days if required. 60 young I walked Norte in april may this year vldlp 2017 and norte priminito twice in last few years all in my late 60s. 70 next birthday and no problems. Always carry my backpack and never take rest day. An odd slow day about 20 km i consider rest day. Practice on small hills rather than long flat treks buen camino

yma01blue

Camino(s) past & future
npne
Over
[]I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Dont even think of tour with support. You can always forward backpack some days if required. 60 young I walked Norte in april may this year vldlp 2017 and norte priminito twice in last few years all in my late 60s. 70 next birthday and no problems. Always carry my backpack and never take rest day. An odd slow day about 20 km i consider rest day. Practice on small hills rather than long flat treks buen camino[/QUOTE]

You know your body and physical limitations better than anyone else. Don't listen to anyone who may be at a higher physical level than you are. What is the longest distance you've ever walked? Can you walk long distance for consecutive days?
Perhaps you should wait for additional replies. However read the reviews of some of the tours with support

Camino(s) past & future
29th April to May 31 2014
April to May (2015) starting in Burgos on the (27th April 2015) completing in Santiago on the 10th May flights booked from Dublin into Madrid and alsa bus up to Burgos
12th August 2015 Starting at Croagh Patrick Clew Bay to Downpatrick known as Camino Way of St Patrick
you will probably gain your fitness on the camino keep hydrated do sensible distances at the start which can be increased latter part of the journey change your socks and relax your feet every two hours make sure your shoes /boots are suitable for the conditions and don't carry more than 4Kg. Extra stuff not required can be forwarded to Ivor from the post office in many towns. You will be able to hire a forwarding company that will transport your pack to the next overnight stop where you have previously booked your hostel or hotel.
You will meet fellow pilgrims however do not feel obliged to travel at there speed if walking fast remember to enjoy yourself take in the magnicent stes along the route and carry a daily dairy to record your adventure.

Buen Camino

Too old to be a pilgrim/hiker? Nah, I’m 79 and just finished my fifth camino in July (six if the walk from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP counts). My first camino was SJPP to SDC in 2004. I was 66 at the time, not exactly a youngster, far from an athlete and certainly not an experienced hiker, and I found it eminently doable. I did it with my daughter, which added to the enjoyment. (She later told me she only agreed to go because she didn’t think I was serious.) I lived in Spain from 1966 to 1972, so my Spanish is serviceable and no doubt that enhances the experience. My motivation: I was looking to re-capture the Spain of bygone years only to learn that that Spain, for reasons both good and bad, no longer existed. My second camino was in 2006 with one of my sons. It was SJPP to Finisterre and was another wonderful experience. The third was the Le Puy walk in 2009 with folks whom I met on my second camino. The fourth was the via de la plata in 2012, perhaps the most memorable of all. My other two sons met me in Orense for the last part of that walk – they could not afford to take off 40 days to do the entire walk starting in Seville – and I treasure memories of that camino. The next was the Portuguese walk from Porto in 2014, again with friends from a previous camino and again a thoroughly delightful time. And the last was two months ago starting in Ferrol. A difference this time was that I stayed in hotels, having read that the camino ingles was crowded and I did not look forward to, as they say, sleeping rough. It turns out that it was not at all crowded, and I doubt there was competition for beds in the hostels. The advantage of a hotel, besides the assurance of a place to stay, is having one’s own bathroom. The disadvantage is missing out on the camaraderie with other walkers. On reflection, I think the latter outweighs the former. I told myself at the end of that walk that it would be my last, but I’m already having second thoughts So if there is a take home message in all this, it is that one is never too old to walk the camino.
Bob from the USA

Camino(s) past & future
October, 2014
September, "2017"
Too old to be a pilgrim/hiker? Nah, I’m 79 and just finished my fifth camino in July (six if the walk from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP counts). My first camino was SJPP to SDC in 2004. I was 66 at the time, not exactly a youngster, far from an athlete and certainly not an experienced hiker, and I found it eminently doable. I did it with my daughter, which added to the enjoyment. (She later told me she only agreed to go because she didn’t think I was serious.) I lived in Spain from 1966 to 1972, so my Spanish is serviceable and no doubt that enhances the experience. My motivation: I was looking to re-capture the Spain of bygone years only to learn that that Spain, for reasons both good and bad, no longer existed. My second camino was in 2006 with one of my sons. It was SJPP to Finisterre and was another wonderful experience. The third was the Le Puy walk in 2009 with folks whom I met on my second camino. The fourth was the via de la plata in 2012, perhaps the most memorable of all. My other two sons met me in Orense for the last part of that walk – they could not afford to take off 40 days to do the entire walk starting in Seville – and I treasure memories of that camino. The next was the Portuguese walk from Porto in 2014, again with friends from a previous camino and again a thoroughly delightful time. And the last was two months ago starting in Ferrol. A difference this time was that I stayed in hotels, having read that the camino ingles was crowded and I did not look forward to, as they say, sleeping rough. It turns out that it was not at all crowded, and I doubt there was competition for beds in the hostels. The advantage of a hotel, besides the assurance of a place to stay, is having one’s own bathroom. The disadvantage is missing out on the camaraderie with other walkers. On reflection, I think the latter outweighs the former. I told myself at the end of that walk that it would be my last, but I’m already having second thoughts So if there is a take home message in all this, it is that one is never too old to walk the camino.
Bob from the USA
Bob, remarkable.

Dan, in North Carolina

ShelleyS

Camino(s) past & future
Leave SJPDP 9/20/17
I turned 65 last September on the Frances. Loved it. My body objected somewhat to the steep descents, but got used to it after the first 10 days or so with the help of a knee brace. I had such a wonderful time meeting people from all over the world. Many solo walkers and many over 60, 70 and even a few in their 80s. Buen Camino!

Tarnz

Camino(s) past & future
Aiming for 2022
I am 68 today. I have walked the C.Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago over three years. and most of Pamplona to Santiago last year. I was hoping to do part of Camino del Norte next spring. but have just read that the bit from Irun to Bilbao is harder than anything on the Frances. so maybe it is not for me.

I would love to start in St.Jean and go over the Pyreenees. Can anyone give me a bit of encouragement.???

Flights from Dublin to Bilbao in May are just €9.99 at present. It seems a pity to waste such good value.
I want to book and know what I am going to do. I know I can book and keep options open. bus to San Sebastian or Pamplona or Biaritz ??
Please encourage me somebody. The family here think me a bit cracked!!

Hi Lydia,

I have never done a Camino,Im planning to do the CF in 2022,I so wish I could go sooner,however other plans leave me that date. I think you are amazing,having already done other sections on Camino.Go for it Lydia, Buen Camino :):)

Camino(s) past & future
Frances
Norte
Finstr/Mux
Primitivo
Via la Plata
Sanabres
Portugues
Levante
Lana
Ingles
I had a North Face, 40 lt, but it has now just about disintegrated, so wouldn't recommend it! As Lynne mentioned enter Packing List on the search tool. You will finds loads of good information. Of course, what is necessary for one person does not always apply to another. And as mentioned, don't take anything that you consider "Just in case". You can buy anything you want in Spain, if you really need to. Also by then, you will probably have been walking a while, so you will have become used to the weight of your pack and so you can safer add some extra items, (not too much though), further on in your walk. Anne
North Face has great customer service. If your pack fell apart due to construction or materials they will replace it ...mine was replace a couple of years ago. Call North Face or drop by one of their stores. If it can't be fixed they may also offer you a gift certificate towards a new pack. It never hurts to ask....

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
North Face has great customer service. If your pack fell apart due to construction or materials they will replace it ...mine was replace a couple of years ago. Call North Face or drop by one of their stores. If it can't be fixed they may also offer you a gift certificate towards a new pack. It never hurts to ask....
Thanks for the suggestion, but this was many years ago. Actually also my husband's North Face disintegrated too ( similar model, but larger. The material was the same). Besides, these packs were taken for me from the States to where we live in Costa Rica. Even if I had thought about complaining, which I didn't, it would have envolved the hassle of getting them back to REI! The packs were thrown out with the rubbish. I then purchased an Osprey, which is still going strong after I think, 5 different Caminos!
I just checked my original posting: it was back in 2011! Lots of Caminos since then! I've even lent it to other Pilgrims who couldn't get a suitable ladies backpack here in Costa Rica!

Last edited:

owms2323

Credential question
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Frances (2014) Camino Frances (2016) Camino Finisterre/Muxia (2017)
I am 68 today. I have walked the C.Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago over three years. and most of Pamplona to Santiago last year. I was hoping to do part of Camino del Norte next spring. but have just read that the bit from Irun to Bilbao is harder than anything on the Frances. so maybe it is not for me.

I would love to start in St.Jean and go over the Pyreenees. Can anyone give me a bit of encouragement.???

Flights from Dublin to Bilbao in May are just €9.99 at present. It seems a pity to waste such good value.
I want to book and know what I am going to do. I know I can book and keep options open. bus to San Sebastian or Pamplona or Biaritz ??
Please encourage me somebody. The family here think me a bit cracked!!
I did the CF from St Jean to Santigo twice, once at 67 and once at 69. Stopped in Orisson the first night and sent my pack ahead. My sister was 71 when she did it. Go for it. We did bus into and out of Leon. You can do it. Take your time and enjoy.

Camino(s) past & future

Wife and I walked the Frances twice in 11 months (2016 & 2017) from SJJP to Santiago. For each Camino we were 65 & 66 : 66 & 67 respectively. I had a heart attack in 2005, suffered temporary paralysis in 1999(recovered). On our first Camino Frances my wife broke a bone in her foot, as later affirmed by the surgeon and walked approx. 500 miles on that foot. Second Frances she did damage to tendons in her legs and ended up in the Univ. Hospital @ Burgos. I went in for surgery on both knees at once in August 2018 finding torn meniscus and ligaments in both knees from pre-Camino days. Since my August operation I have torn my MCL and repairing it.

In September 2019 we will be trekking the Via de la Plata which is just over 1000 km. We don't think about our age but we do think about our physical health which we work closely with our medical professionals to heal,monitor and keep us informed. We know our limitations ... sort of. By the way, after my first Camino Frances, our cardiologist performed a heart catherization on me and found that in the "dead' part of my heart new blood vessels were formed and forming !!!! Trek On !!!! and Buen Camino :) Go for as long as you feel good, walk shorter days and definitely take rest days and remember ... IT IS NOT A RACE !!!! :) You can it as long as you go at your own pace. Buen Camino !!! :)

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%