• This section is a collection of FAQs on the Camino. No new questions can be posted here, but questions that are asked often will be move here by a moderator.
  • Missing the daily forum e-mail? Subscribe again.
A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Ad

Luggage Storage in Santiago

- Ship your things to Santiago, pick them up when you arrive.

Advertisement

60 and over on the Camino

martyseville

Camino(s) past & future
a/a
Well over 70 here. Biked the French route few years ago. Went back and walked it. Since then walked the Portuguese and the Ingles.
This May I did the Norte.

By far the Norte was the toughest of all. But made it.

IMHO don't use a tour company for any camino! Period.

If bags are too heavy or you cannot walk long distance with a pack, then use a LAG van. Easy to find van/transport service to move your bag/pack to next anticipated layover.

The TOUR companies are a RIP OFF. No need for such.

Do your camino your way. Take your time. Train up some. But not too much.
Be smart, be safe, and you will be fine.

Take your time. Enjoy YOUR walk. YOUR way.

Good luck.
Blessings

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
(2016) ; 1st Camino ; Frances Way ; 2017 Camino Frances begins August 10,2017
Wife and I walked the Frances twice in 11 months (2016 & 2017) For each Camino we were 65 & 66 : 66 & 67 respectively. I had a heart attack in 2005, suffered temporary paralysis in 1999(recovered). On our first Camino Frances my wife broke a bone in her foot, as later affirmed by the surgeon and walked approx. 500 miles on that foot. Second Frances she did damage to tendons in her legs and ended up in the Univ. Hospital @ Burgos. I am going in for surgery on both knees at once in August 2018 just having MRI's done on them and finding torn meniscus and ligaments in both knees from pre-Camino days. In September 2019 we will be trekking the Via de la Plata which is just over 1000 miles. We don't think about our age but we do think about our physical health which we work closely with our medical professionals to heal,monitor and keep us informed. We know our limitations ... sort of. By the way, after my first Camino Frances, our cardiologist performed a heart catherization on me and found that in the "dead' part of my heart new blood vessels were formed and forming !!!! Trek On !!!! and Buen Camino :) Go for as long as you feel good, walk shorter days and definitely take rest days and remember ... IT IS NOT A RACE !!!! :)

Camino(s) past & future
In your third paragraph, ' start like an old woman...I walked from StJPdP to Santiago for my 80th birthday, with my own 13 lb pack. So I guess you would put me in that category, BUT....I passed 20 & 30 year olds who had to stop walking because of shin splints and infected blisters, so maybe reconsider what some 'old women' are capable of.

WOW !!! AMAZING !!!! Congratulations, I hope I can do that at 80 :D

Camino(s) past & future
I'm with you John! Last December when arriving again in Santiago at 75 I was totally pooped. Everything ached. After sitting in the cathedral to literally catch my breath and, of course, gave thanks, all felt easier. Now in the peace of retrospection the way calls once again.
lol ... exactly how we felt when we got to Santiago, came back 11 months later did it again and now planning the Via de la Plata for Sept. 2019, over 1000 miles and can't wait !!!! :)

Camino(s) past & future
I walked my first Camino from St Jean to Finistere in 39 days at the age of 79, and honestly I found it easy. I carried my pack all the way and stayed in albergues because I enjoyed meeting people of all ages from all over the world. But I was very fit because I had done a decent walk of 20kms or so carrying my pack about twice a week, and most of the other days walked locally for about 2 hours. Since then I have walked the Frances 3 more times and several other Caminos. Never had feet problem. Never had a blister. I think the secret is fitness.
You are my hero...wow !!!

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
May (2013)
I did the Santiago pilgrimage back in 2013. and I know want to do Santiago to Finisterre. I find the walks are a little long when going through an agency, so perhaps I can do it on my own and take 4 - 5 days. I am a 65 year old female walking solo (or sola)...any suggestions on the stops just doing 10 miles per day, and how to have my suitcase transported from albergue or hotel to hotel. I am unable to carry the weight. Thank you

Camino(s) past & future
npne
I did the Santiago pilgrimage back in 2013. and I know want to do Santiago to Finisterre. I find the walks are a little long when going through an agency, so perhaps I can do it on my own and take 4 - 5 days. I am a 65 year old female walking solo (or sola)...any suggestions on the stops just doing 10 miles per day, and how to have my suitcase transported from albergue or hotel to hotel. I am unable to carry the weight. Thank you
I'm in the same boat as you, so am interested in any responses you receive.

Camino(s) past & future
22 Sept. to 21 Oct. 2015, Pamplona to Santiago
6-23.04 Porto to Santiago (2018)
17.09-31.10 CF (2018
63 and starting mid Sept. in SJPDP. Hope to meet some of you along the way!

Did almost half the CF when I was 60, did the Portugeuse Camino with my daughter this past April, but am really, really excited for this Camino.

I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.
Over
[]I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Dont even think of tour with support. You can always forward backpack some days if required. 60 young I walked Norte in april may this year vldlp 2017 and norte priminito twice in last few years all in my late 60s. 70 next birthday and no problems. Always carry my backpack and never take rest day. An odd slow day about 20 km i consider rest day. Practice on small hills rather than long flat treks buen camino

Camino(s) past & future
npne
Over
[]I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Dont even think of tour with support. You can always forward backpack some days if required. 60 young I walked Norte in april may this year vldlp 2017 and norte priminito twice in last few years all in my late 60s. 70 next birthday and no problems. Always carry my backpack and never take rest day. An odd slow day about 20 km i consider rest day. Practice on small hills rather than long flat treks buen camino[/QUOTE]

You know your body and physical limitations better than anyone else. Don't listen to anyone who may be at a higher physical level than you are. What is the longest distance you've ever walked? Can you walk long distance for consecutive days?
Perhaps you should wait for additional replies. However read the reviews of some of the tours with support

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.7%
  • May

Votes: 156 26.1%
  • June