• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do people 60-and-over plan their Camino?

Well over 70 here. Biked the French route few years ago. Went back and walked it. Since then walked the Portuguese and the Ingles.
This May I did the Norte.

By far the Norte was the toughest of all. But made it.

IMHO don't use a tour company for any camino! Period.

If bags are too heavy or you cannot walk long distance with a pack, then use a LAG van. Easy to find van/transport service to move your bag/pack to next anticipated layover.

The TOUR companies are a RIP OFF. No need for such.

Do your camino your way. Take your time. Train up some. But not too much.
Be smart, be safe, and you will be fine.

Take your time. Enjoy YOUR walk. YOUR way.

Good luck.
Blessings

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wife and I walked the Frances twice in 11 months (2016 & 2017) For each Camino we were 65 & 66 : 66 & 67 respectively. I had a heart attack in 2005, suffered temporary paralysis in 1999(recovered). On our first Camino Frances my wife broke a bone in her foot, as later affirmed by the surgeon and walked approx. 500 miles on that foot. Second Frances she did damage to tendons in her legs and ended up in the Univ. Hospital @ Burgos. I am going in for surgery on both knees at once in August 2018 just having MRI's done on them and finding torn meniscus and ligaments in both knees from pre-Camino days. In September 2019 we will be trekking the Via de la Plata which is just over 1000 miles. We don't think about our age but we do think about our physical health which we work closely with our medical professionals to heal,monitor and keep us informed. We know our limitations ... sort of. By the way, after my first Camino Frances, our cardiologist performed a heart catherization on me and found that in the "dead' part of my heart new blood vessels were formed and forming !!!! Trek On !!!! and Buen Camino :) Go for as long as you feel good, walk shorter days and definitely take rest days and remember ... IT IS NOT A RACE !!!! :)

In your third paragraph, ' start like an old woman...I walked from StJPdP to Santiago for my 80th birthday, with my own 13 lb pack. So I guess you would put me in that category, BUT....I passed 20 & 30 year olds who had to stop walking because of shin splints and infected blisters, so maybe reconsider what some 'old women' are capable of.

WOW !!! AMAZING !!!! Congratulations, I hope I can do that at 80 :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm with you John! Last December when arriving again in Santiago at 75 I was totally pooped. Everything ached. After sitting in the cathedral to literally catch my breath and, of course, gave thanks, all felt easier. Now in the peace of retrospection the way calls once again.

lol ... exactly how we felt when we got to Santiago, came back 11 months later did it again and now planning the Via de la Plata for Sept. 2019, over 1000 miles and can't wait !!!! :)

I walked my first Camino from St Jean to Finistere in 39 days at the age of 79, and honestly I found it easy. I carried my pack all the way and stayed in albergues because I enjoyed meeting people of all ages from all over the world. But I was very fit because I had done a decent walk of 20kms or so carrying my pack about twice a week, and most of the other days walked locally for about 2 hours. Since then I have walked the Frances 3 more times and several other Caminos. Never had feet problem. Never had a blister. I think the secret is fitness.

You are my hero...wow !!!

I did the Santiago pilgrimage back in 2013. and I know want to do Santiago to Finisterre. I find the walks are a little long when going through an agency, so perhaps I can do it on my own and take 4 - 5 days. I am a 65 year old female walking solo (or sola)...any suggestions on the stops just doing 10 miles per day, and how to have my suitcase transported from albergue or hotel to hotel. I am unable to carry the weight. Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the Santiago pilgrimage back in 2013. and I know want to do Santiago to Finisterre. I find the walks are a little long when going through an agency, so perhaps I can do it on my own and take 4 - 5 days. I am a 65 year old female walking solo (or sola)...any suggestions on the stops just doing 10 miles per day, and how to have my suitcase transported from albergue or hotel to hotel. I am unable to carry the weight. Thank you
I'm in the same boat as you, so am interested in any responses you receive.

63 and starting mid Sept. in SJPDP. Hope to meet some of you along the way!

Did almost half the CF when I was 60, did the Portugeuse Camino with my daughter this past April, but am really, really excited for this Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Over
[]I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Dont even think of tour with support. You can always forward backpack some days if required. 60 young I walked Norte in april may this year vldlp 2017 and norte priminito twice in last few years all in my late 60s. 70 next birthday and no problems. Always carry my backpack and never take rest day. An odd slow day about 20 km i consider rest day. Practice on small hills rather than long flat treks buen camino

Over
[]I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Dont even think of tour with support. You can always forward backpack some days if required. 60 young I walked Norte in april may this year vldlp 2017 and norte priminito twice in last few years all in my late 60s. 70 next birthday and no problems. Always carry my backpack and never take rest day. An odd slow day about 20 km i consider rest day. Practice on small hills rather than long flat treks buen camino[/QUOTE]

You know your body and physical limitations better than anyone else. Don't listen to anyone who may be at a higher physical level than you are. What is the longest distance you've ever walked? Can you walk long distance for consecutive days?
Perhaps you should wait for additional replies. However read the reviews of some of the tours with support

you will probably gain your fitness on the camino keep hydrated do sensible distances at the start which can be increased latter part of the journey change your socks and relax your feet every two hours make sure your shoes /boots are suitable for the conditions and don't carry more than 4Kg. Extra stuff not required can be forwarded to Ivor from the post office in many towns. You will be able to hire a forwarding company that will transport your pack to the next overnight stop where you have previously booked your hostel or hotel.
You will meet fellow pilgrims however do not feel obliged to travel at there speed if walking fast remember to enjoy yourself take in the magnicent stes along the route and carry a daily dairy to record your adventure.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Too old to be a pilgrim/hiker? Nah, I’m 79 and just finished my fifth camino in July (six if the walk from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP counts). My first camino was SJPP to SDC in 2004. I was 66 at the time, not exactly a youngster, far from an athlete and certainly not an experienced hiker, and I found it eminently doable. I did it with my daughter, which added to the enjoyment. (She later told me she only agreed to go because she didn’t think I was serious.) I lived in Spain from 1966 to 1972, so my Spanish is serviceable and no doubt that enhances the experience. My motivation: I was looking to re-capture the Spain of bygone years only to learn that that Spain, for reasons both good and bad, no longer existed. My second camino was in 2006 with one of my sons. It was SJPP to Finisterre and was another wonderful experience. The third was the Le Puy walk in 2009 with folks whom I met on my second camino. The fourth was the via de la plata in 2012, perhaps the most memorable of all. My other two sons met me in Orense for the last part of that walk – they could not afford to take off 40 days to do the entire walk starting in Seville – and I treasure memories of that camino. The next was the Portuguese walk from Porto in 2014, again with friends from a previous camino and again a thoroughly delightful time. And the last was two months ago starting in Ferrol. A difference this time was that I stayed in hotels, having read that the camino ingles was crowded and I did not look forward to, as they say, sleeping rough. It turns out that it was not at all crowded, and I doubt there was competition for beds in the hostels. The advantage of a hotel, besides the assurance of a place to stay, is having one’s own bathroom. The disadvantage is missing out on the camaraderie with other walkers. On reflection, I think the latter outweighs the former. I told myself at the end of that walk that it would be my last, but I’m already having second thoughts So if there is a take home message in all this, it is that one is never too old to walk the camino.
Bob from the USA

Too old to be a pilgrim/hiker? Nah, I’m 79 and just finished my fifth camino in July (six if the walk from Le Puy en Velay to SJPP counts). My first camino was SJPP to SDC in 2004. I was 66 at the time, not exactly a youngster, far from an athlete and certainly not an experienced hiker, and I found it eminently doable. I did it with my daughter, which added to the enjoyment. (She later told me she only agreed to go because she didn’t think I was serious.) I lived in Spain from 1966 to 1972, so my Spanish is serviceable and no doubt that enhances the experience. My motivation: I was looking to re-capture the Spain of bygone years only to learn that that Spain, for reasons both good and bad, no longer existed. My second camino was in 2006 with one of my sons. It was SJPP to Finisterre and was another wonderful experience. The third was the Le Puy walk in 2009 with folks whom I met on my second camino. The fourth was the via de la plata in 2012, perhaps the most memorable of all. My other two sons met me in Orense for the last part of that walk – they could not afford to take off 40 days to do the entire walk starting in Seville – and I treasure memories of that camino. The next was the Portuguese walk from Porto in 2014, again with friends from a previous camino and again a thoroughly delightful time. And the last was two months ago starting in Ferrol. A difference this time was that I stayed in hotels, having read that the camino ingles was crowded and I did not look forward to, as they say, sleeping rough. It turns out that it was not at all crowded, and I doubt there was competition for beds in the hostels. The advantage of a hotel, besides the assurance of a place to stay, is having one’s own bathroom. The disadvantage is missing out on the camaraderie with other walkers. On reflection, I think the latter outweighs the former. I told myself at the end of that walk that it would be my last, but I’m already having second thoughts So if there is a take home message in all this, it is that one is never too old to walk the camino.
Bob from the USA
Bob, remarkable.

Dan, in North Carolina

I turned 65 last September on the Frances. Loved it. My body objected somewhat to the steep descents, but got used to it after the first 10 days or so with the help of a knee brace. I had such a wonderful time meeting people from all over the world. Many solo walkers and many over 60, 70 and even a few in their 80s. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am 68 today. I have walked the C.Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago over three years. and most of Pamplona to Santiago last year. I was hoping to do part of Camino del Norte next spring. but have just read that the bit from Irun to Bilbao is harder than anything on the Frances. so maybe it is not for me.

I would love to start in St.Jean and go over the Pyreenees. Can anyone give me a bit of encouragement.???

Flights from Dublin to Bilbao in May are just €9.99 at present. It seems a pity to waste such good value.
I want to book and know what I am going to do. I know I can book and keep options open. bus to San Sebastian or Pamplona or Biaritz ??
Please encourage me somebody. The family here think me a bit cracked!!

Hi Lydia,

I have never done a Camino,Im planning to do the CF in 2022,I so wish I could go sooner,however other plans leave me that date. I think you are amazing,having already done other sections on Camino.Go for it Lydia, Buen Camino :):)

I had a North Face, 40 lt, but it has now just about disintegrated, so wouldn't recommend it! As Lynne mentioned enter Packing List on the search tool. You will finds loads of good information. Of course, what is necessary for one person does not always apply to another. And as mentioned, don't take anything that you consider "Just in case". You can buy anything you want in Spain, if you really need to. Also by then, you will probably have been walking a while, so you will have become used to the weight of your pack and so you can safer add some extra items, (not too much though), further on in your walk. Anne
North Face has great customer service. If your pack fell apart due to construction or materials they will replace it ...mine was replace a couple of years ago. Call North Face or drop by one of their stores. If it can't be fixed they may also offer you a gift certificate towards a new pack. It never hurts to ask....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
North Face has great customer service. If your pack fell apart due to construction or materials they will replace it ...mine was replace a couple of years ago. Call North Face or drop by one of their stores. If it can't be fixed they may also offer you a gift certificate towards a new pack. It never hurts to ask....
Thanks for the suggestion, but this was many years ago. Actually also my husband's North Face disintegrated too ( similar model, but larger. The material was the same). Besides, these packs were taken for me from the States to where we live in Costa Rica. Even if I had thought about complaining, which I didn't, it would have envolved the hassle of getting them back to REI! The packs were thrown out with the rubbish. I then purchased an Osprey, which is still going strong after I think, 5 different Caminos!
I just checked my original posting: it was back in 2011! Lots of Caminos since then! I've even lent it to other Pilgrims who couldn't get a suitable ladies backpack here in Costa Rica!

Last edited:
I am 68 today. I have walked the C.Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago over three years. and most of Pamplona to Santiago last year. I was hoping to do part of Camino del Norte next spring. but have just read that the bit from Irun to Bilbao is harder than anything on the Frances. so maybe it is not for me.

I would love to start in St.Jean and go over the Pyreenees. Can anyone give me a bit of encouragement.???

Flights from Dublin to Bilbao in May are just €9.99 at present. It seems a pity to waste such good value.
I want to book and know what I am going to do. I know I can book and keep options open. bus to San Sebastian or Pamplona or Biaritz ??
I did the CF from St Jean to Santigo twice, once at 67 and once at 69. Stopped in Orisson the first night and sent my pack ahead. My sister was 71 when she did it. Go for it. We did bus into and out of Leon. You can do it. Take your time and enjoy.

Wife and I walked the Frances twice in 11 months (2016 & 2017) from SJJP to Santiago. For each Camino we were 65 & 66 : 66 & 67 respectively. I had a heart attack in 2005, suffered temporary paralysis in 1999(recovered). On our first Camino Frances my wife broke a bone in her foot, as later affirmed by the surgeon and walked approx. 500 miles on that foot. Second Frances she did damage to tendons in her legs and ended up in the Univ. Hospital @ Burgos. I went in for surgery on both knees at once in August 2018 finding torn meniscus and ligaments in both knees from pre-Camino days. Since my August operation I have torn my MCL and repairing it.

In September 2019 we will be trekking the Via de la Plata which is just over 1000 km. We don't think about our age but we do think about our physical health which we work closely with our medical professionals to heal,monitor and keep us informed. We know our limitations ... sort of. By the way, after my first Camino Frances, our cardiologist performed a heart catherization on me and found that in the "dead' part of my heart new blood vessels were formed and forming !!!! Trek On !!!! and Buen Camino :) Go for as long as you feel good, walk shorter days and definitely take rest days and remember ... IT IS NOT A RACE !!!! :) You can it as long as you go at your own pace. Buen Camino !!! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.

I’m 65 in 3 weeks time and I’ve just followed the way of St James from St Jean and when I received my certificate in SDC yesterday, it said 799km.

My Camino was a pilgrimage and I’m certainly not an athlete. So I took it steady and walked solo - just the three of us - my body, myself and Christ.

Age is not a determinant in my view - it’s about being in-tune with your reasons for starting the Camino - your way - whatever you do is the right way.

I found that it took my legs 2 hours to “warm up” so I’d set out about sunrise and walk for 3 hours straight and then I’d rest up at one of the wonderful bar/restaurants along the way and have refreshment- coffee and tortilla (potato omlette with bread). Then I’d check how far I could walk in the next three hours and then deciding which albergue I’d stay the night in.

So what I’m saying is don’t measure the distance - measure the hours you walk - 2 sessions of 3 hours is plenty.

Interesting- as your body tunes in a third session - wholly unexpectedly becomes a real possibility.

I went off Camino a lot and I have walked 1002 kilometres since Nov 1st and that was my experience.

The other thing is - tune into your body - if you listen - it will tell you what it needs - you’ll be craving things you never eat at home - for me it was liquorice or haribo, salted nuts, mandarin oranges and calamari - perfect for my knees.

I have so many more insights

Enjoy it

Buen Camino

Go for it...always!
I'm 73 and did SJPDP to SdC from 9/18-10/25.
Took my time especially in the first two weeks.
Then added miles later, when I was acclimated to walking such distance every day.
Such a joy to get up every morning and watch the sunrise as I walked.
I miss the trail so much.
I even miss the rainy days!
Nothing like the Camino! Nothing!

I wholeheartedly agree, except for those with very limited time, the Camino is not a race. My wife and I trekked the Frances twice in 11 months(2016 & 2017) we are in our late 60's, we are coming back in 2019 for either the Frances or Via da le Plata. Go for it... like you said ....two 3 hour sessions :) Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just go and do it take your time. each day assess yourself and see how you feel. I am 73 and have done the Camino for ten years. Next year I plan on going again on 74 birthday. The best to you both.

This thread was started in 2011, and many of the over-60s who replied then are still walking, 7 years older!
Correct, and loving it !!!
My first Camino ... Camino Frances 2011. This year I walked the Primitivo, over the mountains, 317 km in 12 days. Keep on keeping on everyone.
Eric

I finished my first Camino (Frances) earlier this year. I can’t help it! I want to do another one. I miss the villages, the trails, the scenery and the cafes. And the Cathedrals. I would start early April. I haven’t picked one yet. I would love to walk from Eastern Europe (Budapest?) which would most likely take a few months.

Are there any good apps that give the route from faraway places?

I’m 65 and walked Sarria to Santiago Sept. 13-19 this year. My longest day was 14 miles, my shortest 9. I was a newbie so I asked Katherine Baldwin at Follow the Camino to help me with places to stay and luggage transfer - she was outstanding. I started out carrying an 18 pound pack but was having problems with balance on the downhills, so I bought a small daypack and started sending my big bag (Osprey 35) ahead. It only cost 3-5 euro a day and it was SO worth it! Follow the Camino also has a training plan you can find on Pinterest that was so helpful. My legs were ready, but I didn’t do enough hills to adequately train my lungs (no hills in Florida). One of the reasons my pack was too big was the weather forecast was for cool weather, changed while I was en route, 85 and humid most days, so I had several thing that never got worn! Another reason to send a bag ahead! Just buy a cheap carryon size roller bag, check it in so you can pack your poles and knife, and send it ahead each day keeping only a daypack with meds and whatever you need for the day. Those were the lessons I learned, but it was wonderful!
Buen Camino

The Camino is not a race . . . it's to be enjoyed. Just walk at a pace with which you are comfortable. My wife and I did our first walk 4 years ago averaging 19.5k per day over 41 days.
Last year we walked the Kumono Kodo in Japan . . . . both the CF and KK are the only UNESCO world heritage listed walks.
In April/March this year 2019 we are walking the Lisbon/Santiago.

So you asked about getting too old . . . . but here's the crunch
I'm turning 80 this year and my wife 76. And an even bigger crunch . . . my wife is a below the knee amputee (left leg since she was 6yo) and we carry our own packs.

Each persons walk is an event . . . and you are the star.

Walk on my friend . . . stay healthy and it's simple, just one foot in front of the other. Enjoy.
Buen Camino

I walked the Camino Frances this last fall at 61. It was hard, and made more challenging by very strong heat at the beginning and snow in the middle, but I did the whole thing and was thrilled to march into Santiago the last day! Feet are important and I wore trail runner and very good socks. Changed my socks in the middle of long days and really took care of my feet. Never got a blister and never tried to keep up though it was tempting when I met groups I loved. I went about 20k a day (most I did was 30k) and stayed in places that interested me rather than fit the guidebook suggestions. That way I saw lovely places, ate some great food and stayed in smaller towns. It changed my life. Best to you. My friend Tim Roberts took this picture of me. Doesn't it make you want to go right now?Me on Camino.jpg

I will start my Camino in one month @ 66. Have been skiing for 30 days over 2 months and walk everywhere. Keep the faith and you will accomplish anything you set your mind to do. Penpal?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Camino Frances this last fall at 61. It was hard, and made more challenging by very strong heat at the beginning and snow in the middle, but I did the whole thing and was thrilled to march into Santiago the last day! Feet are important and I wore trail runner and very good socks. Changed my socks in the middle of long days and really took care of my feet. Never got a blister and never tried to keep up though it was tempting when I met groups I loved. I went about 20k a day (most I did was 30k) and stayed in places that interested me rather than fit the guidebook suggestions. That way I saw lovely places, ate some great food and stayed in smaller towns. It changed my life. Best to you. My friend Tim Roberts took this picture of me. Doesn't it make you want to go right now?View attachment 53320
Very inspiring!

I walked the Camino Frances this last fall at 61. It was hard, and made more challenging by very strong heat at the beginning and snow in the middle, but I did the whole thing and was thrilled to march into Santiago the last day! Feet are important and I wore trail runner and very good socks. Changed my socks in the middle of long days and really took care of my feet. Never got a blister and never tried to keep up though it was tempting when I met groups I loved. I went about 20k a day (most I did was 30k) and stayed in places that interested me rather than fit the guidebook suggestions. That way I saw lovely places, ate some great food and stayed in smaller towns. It changed my life. Best to you. My friend Tim Roberts took this picture of me. Doesn't it make you want to go right now?View attachment 53320
I know exactly where this picture was taken. I have a picture of me where you are in the spring (all green) and in the fall (autumn colors like in your pic.)

I will be walking for the first time this August for about 7 weeks. That's about 12 miles a day, some shorter, some longer. I plan to carry my pack but will be realistic if I have to send it on some days. I am also realistic about possibly taking a bus to the next planned stop. I have always been a walker so I don't plan to have too much difficulty but one never knows. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know exactly where this picture was taken. I have a picture of me where you are in the spring (all green) and in the fall (autumn colors like in your pic.)
Please post your picture!! Your fans want to see it. Thank you. Ed

Hola @Labtails - as one who had climbed Mt Kilimanjaro (in my 60th year) I just followed on with a similar training routine. A couple of 10km (6.5 mile) walks too or three times per week and built up. In reality if you have a light pack (say 10 kg - 22 lb or less) you do not need to do a big training routine - just your daily walks. Once on the camino - of old rule of "slow and steady" is surely the best - Oh and get a couple of good quality walking poles. Most good trekking shops will have the ones I am talking about - another thing get walking shoes that have a good layer of cushion support - even buy extras if the ones supplied are up to scratch. Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I love the spring best! Longer days, lots of flowers and green (which we don't have a lot of in New Mexico). Looking forward to hearing about your walk. Will you have a blog?

I love the spring best! Longer days, lots of flowers and green (which we don't have a lot of in New Mexico). Looking forward to hearing about your walk. Will you have a blog?
I don’t blog but if I have something to say about my day I’ll post on the forum (if I start !!!!!!!)- about (being over 60)..
I turned 70 a couple of weeks ago. 3 days ago I came out with a case of shingles. I wasn’t expecting them and they’re not fun. Just on 2 weeks to departure.
Annie

I don’t blog but if I have something to say about my day I’ll post on the forum (if I start !!!!!!!)- about (being over 60)..
I turned 70 a couple of weeks ago. 3 days ago I came out with a case of shingles. I wasn’t expecting them and they’re not fun. Just on 2 weeks to departure.
Annie
@OzAnnie
You have my sympathy. I too am 70 and planning my next camino, but my case of shingles is in the past. As you say, "they're not fun." I managed to get an anti-viral injection within the first two days, and the shingles subsided. The injection was very expensive, for my graduate student's budget at the time. And it would not have worked if I had not got the diagnosis and injection very soon. I understand that there is now a vaccine to prevent shingles, for the many of us who had chicken pox as children. Of course, this is no help to you, but perhaps some older adults on the forum who know they had chicken pox as children might consider getting the vaccination as a preventive measure. I cannot advise you, but I hope that with your doctor's advice you might decide whether to put off your camino until the shingles subside. I don't think I could have walked a camino with shingles. Blessings on your way, whenever you decide to walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie

Poor you! If you have not done so yet, do get treatment urgently! The sooner you get it the likelier it will be successful. I got shingles in December, treatment after one week turned out no good any longer and I can still feel it sslightly! Turning 79 next week and starting the Mozárabe from Almeria end of April

@OzAnnie
You have my sympathy. I too am 70 and planning my next camino, but my case of shingles is in the past. As you say, "they're not fun." I managed to get an anti-viral injection within the first two days, and the shingles subsided. The injection was very expensive, for my graduate student's budget at the time. And it would not have worked if I had not got the diagnosis and injection very soon. I understand that there is now a vaccine to prevent shingles, for the many of us who had chicken pox as children. Of course, this is no help to you, but perhaps some older adults on the forum who know they had chicken pox as children might consider getting the vaccination as a preventive measure. I cannot advise you, but I hope that with your doctor's advice you might decide whether to put off your camino until the shingles subside. I don't think I could have walked a camino with shingles. Blessings on your way, whenever you decide to walk.
Thanks Mary Louise @Albertagirl
Yes it’s worth mentioning for others any tips ..
I found out on the day I got shingles that in Australia for those 70 + there is a free shingles preventative injection. Also one for pneumonia and of course the flu.
I was not aware .. the doctor prescribed a 7 day course of anti viral tablets. 2 off 3 times a day.

I would recommend anyone 60 or over asking about this as it can be mild but it can also have lasting effects.

I’ll see how I feel in a week and make a call then.
I agree that feeling as I do today, I would not like to be carrying a backpack and being so physical (like walking any stage of the Vdlp )

Annie

Last edited:
Poor you! If you have not done so yet, do get treatment urgently! The sooner you get it the likelier it will be successful. I got shingles in December, treatment after one week turned out no good any longer and I can still feel it sslightly! Turning 79 next week and starting the Mozárabe from Almeria end of April
Thanks Pelerine. I noticed it immediately- I had thought initially that it was just soreness in my glutes from overworking at the gym. Then I noticed the rash starting. The doctor mentioned that it was early and the anti viral course would be more effective.. Well it’s now day 4. Still burning.
How long did yours take for the burning pain and rash to subside ?
I’ve frightened myself a bit too much reading all about it on mr google.

Annie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@OzAnnie
I am so glad for you that you got treatment right away. Two of my brothers got shingles when I did and did not see a doctor right away. Both had it for some time. I had to beg a nurse who was doing triage at a clinic to let me see a doctor on a Saturday. She had no idea what shingles looked like. If I had waited for two days, the anti-viral might not have worked. Now that I think about it, my anti-viral may have been pills by mouth. In any case, it worked. But I would certainly ask my doctor about a vaccine if I were planning a camino and knew that I had had chicken pox as a child, or thought that I might have. You are doing your fellow citizens a favour by letting them know what free vaccines are available to them. I hope that all will be well and you will be able to go on camino as planned.

Annie
Please do not go until your shingles are in the non contagious stage. Better for you and everyone who may be exposed. Thank you.

Welcome - but I take exception to the “senior” bit, so don’t sell yourself short. If you’re reasonably fit, you should have no issues. Just listen to your body, keep yourself well-hydrated and you’ll do fine. I’m 60+ (it’s only a number), run 6-7 miles per day at a decent pace and compete in community running events. I walked the Portugues summer ‘17 and my only issue was not drinking enough water (it was August). Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In the U.K. a one off dose of anti shingles vaccine is offered FOC for all at age 70

It's the same in Australia (free over 70) and in some cases, your Dr can arrange for you to have it even before that age. I have a bad Hx of recurring cold sores and shingles and I am getting the vax soon, at age 65.

65 on my first Camino...this year would have been my 4th if not for Covid. Slow but steady, listen to your body and. Travel light. If you really need it, you can most likely find it on the camino

I walked my first Camino from St. Jean to Santiago in 2016 and it took me about 38 days. I took my time, met wonderful people and definitely drank the Kool-Aid. I returned in 2017 and walked the Portuguese route and from Santiago to Fisterre to Muxia and back to Santiago. In 2018 I walked to Santiago from Pamplona. In 2019 I walked the Madrid Camino and joined the Frances to Ponferrada. I intended to walk again in 2020 but due to covid-19 was unable to get to Spain. I hope to walk again in the spring of 2021. I am currently 73 and in decent shape, not exceptional. I never was a hiker and was drawn to the Camino because of the potential life changing aspects. The Camino continues to not disappoint and has become part of my annual self care maintenance. I hope to continue to walk the Camino until that is no longer possible. As others have said: take your time, listen to your body , enjoy, step out of your comfort zone whenever you feel the inner nudge to do so, listen to the stories of other pilgrims and locals and share your story when you feel so moved. Each year I walk, I notice how my story, the way I tell the story of who I am changes, becomes healthier, less judgemental of self and others, more accepting of self and others , more free and loving. I remember speaking with the son of a proprietor of a hotel on the Camino. He said that his father had walked the Camino five times. I asked did you notice any change in your father after his various Caminos. The young man answered, " every time, after each Camino he was more human".

Walked my first Camino 2 years ago at 64. Am typically very active, but trained specifically, upping my normal 2x/week runs and 3x/week walks into gradually longer twice daily walks at least 5 days/week. Try to mimic what you will actually be doing when you’re out there. I also did upper body work at the gym 3x/week knowing I would be carrying my pack, and wanted the weight of the pack to be a non-issue. There are those who would argue this is over-training, but I never felt that way, and it allowed me to comfortably walk from SJPdP to Santiago in 35 days of walking, take an extra day to enjoy Burgos and Leon, walk injury and blister-free, enjoying every step. Contrast that with the 30 year olds who started with a flurry, but who I passed later, limping along, badly injured. Or those with a dozen blister on each foot, wondering what had happened since “I went for two 10k walks before I came.” I repeat, try to mimic what you will do on the Camino for a period of time before you leave home! It will serve you well. Many seem to not train, thinking they will get stronger as they go. And they may. Or they may totally break down. Training will be the difference between those possibilities. Buen Camino. You will be fine. As long as you can find a way to legally travel from the U.S. to Spain.

Walked my first Camino 2 years ago at 64. Am typically very active, but trained specifically, upping my normal 2x/week runs and 3x/week walks into gradually longer twice daily walks at least 5 days/week. Try to mimic what you will actually be doing when you’re out there. I also did upper body work at the gym 3x/week knowing I would be carrying my pack, and wanted the weight of the pack to be a non-issue. There are those who would argue this is over-training, but I never felt that way, and it allowed me to comfortably walk from SJPdP to Santiago in 35 days of walking, take an extra day to enjoy Burgos and Leon, walk injury and blister-free, enjoying every step. Contrast that with the 30 year olds who started with a flurry, but who I passed later, limping along, badly injured. Or those with a dozen blister on each foot, wondering what had happened since “I went for two 10k walks before I came.” I repeat, try to mimic what you will do on the Camino for a period of time before you leave home! It will serve you well. Many seem to not train, thinking they will get stronger as they go. And they may. Or they may totally break down. Training will be the difference between those possibilities. Buen Camino. You will be fine. As long as you can find a way to legally travel from the U.S. to Spain.
I did no trainiing at all for my first camino, which I walked at the age of 68, or indeed, for any other camino. But I was an experienced walker, both locally in my city and in the mountains near my home. I did a reasonable amount of planning, including walking short days for about a week, until I got into my stride, I ended up with a lot of extra time at the end of my camino, because I had given myself extra days, which I did not need. I settled into a rhythm of about twenty or twenty-five kilometre days. I did not find walking the camino or carrying a pack at all strenuous. But then, I was comparing it to a lifetime of walking, not for exercise, but for transport in the city and holidaying in the mountains. This might not work at all for someone with limited walking experience. If you can train, and feel that you need to, go ahead. If you are not sure of your ability to walk long distances, be sure to give yourself extra time and start slowly. Our bodies are made for walking, but may need a little help if we have not kept up the practice.

Absolutely! I walked 600km last Fall. Due to a back issue and also a knee one, I had decided not to walk more than 20km a day. This I did except for 1 day when I did 21 - had to reach Castrojerez for an ATM - no euros left! Sure you can do the Pyrenees - make a reservation (early) to stay at Orisson and also one at Roncevalles for the next night. You will be just fine if your pack is light enough and you walk slowly at your pace and don't try to keep up with anyone else. If you feel your pack may be too heavy - you can ship it ahead to Orisson and to Roncevalles also and just walk with a daypack, plenty of water and food! PS I was 74 am now 75 and planning for my next time in a couple of years.

I too walked my first Camino (CF) on 2017 as a celebration of my 60th birthday but I walked with friends who were older. We got in shape by walking together here in Dallas. First shorter walks, then longer with our loaded packs, we were a sight. Not many hills here so I added stairs to my regimen. Nothing hard core, it was friends out for a walk. Once you get there, walk at your pace and walk only as far as you want. You will walk yourself into Camino shape, for me by the time I got to Pamplona I was physically and psychologically ready. We met younger friends in Sarria, they could not believe how we climbed the hills so fast. We went back last year, the Inglés this time. At least one more in 2023 on the Aragones/Francés. So, go for it. Buen Camino.

Last edited:

Here's a left field suggestion. Catch the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao, do over the Guggenheim etc.Local train to San Sebastian stay a few days. This is a fabulous boutique city that makes Paris look like a dump. Local train to Irun, change to French line to Bayonne, then the usual train to St J pied de Port to start the Frances. I was 69 when I walked in winter 2014 the weather was vile and it took 26 days. I'm around 70kg and was carrying a 16kg pack which I stripped down to 12 from Ponferrada on.Depends on how fit you are (I was fit), how grimly determined you are (I was grimly determined) and how terrified you are of wife/sister-in-law whom you were on a deadline to meet ( I was utterly terrified). I had no real problems with injuries, feet etc but had to replace my worn out boots in Ponferrada. Just strapped on a new pair and kept walking. I may try it all again before 80.

De Colores

Bogong

Hello
I celebrated my 70th birthday on the way in 2018
I left PUY in early May 2018 with my 65-year-old Michel
We walked with backpack 12kg for 74 days
Le puy -Saint Jean Pied Port - Camino Frances Roncesvales - Logrogno ---
BUS to Bilbao -Camino Norte - Primitivo - Santiago - Fistera - Muxia
We met people older than us!
Whatever the age it is possible.... It's in the head that it's happening
Buen CaminoIMG_4320.JPG

I've did 3 caminos now & I'm in my 60's. I've never planned anything yet, just wing it & hey, it comes together better than planning it. I fly & catch whatever train cones next to SJPP, then wander down the street & find an albergue that has a vacant bed. Get a pilgrim passport from the office, then have a good sleep. Next day, just walk to Roncesvalles, get a bed, eat & sleep. And every day from then on, walk until tired, find a bed, do laundry, eat sleep & repeat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Made my first Camino at 64. Even though I had never heard of it a year previously, I just got up and went. I had no gear at all as walking was of no interest to me. Took advice from the store I went to and bought what I needed. Booked flights to Biarritz and of i went. No planning, no training just an unexplainable desire to go. Took advice from other pilgrims along the way and learned from them. I booked flights home a few days before reaching Santiago. Three further caminos followed with almost the same preparation except I did book my first night accommodation and second night in Orisson. After that, it was take things as they came along.

Many thanks to all the comments posted.

I will be walking, trekking, crawling (?) through my first Camino beginning around May 8th starting in StJPP. I have not done much long distance walking in preparation. I have had two hip replacements (either side). I know that when I begin to walk the hip acts up. Nevertheless my cranky hips simmer down after thirty minutes of walking.

I will try to keep my backup weight under 12 - 15 kilos (no more than 35 lbs). Sadly I also suffer from a bad back which will necessitate my carrying a back brace.

After reading several books on the Camino, I know I will develop blisters. I intend to take vaseline, moleskin and a first aid kit.

I intend to walk the Camino Frances and hopefully reach Santiago by the 45th day with planned 2 day stops in Pamplona and Burgos. Am I being realistic?

I am a faithful reader of the comments through this blog. Any further suggestions for a sixty year YOUNG man traveling alone.

Utreia e sus eia Deus adjuva nos!

John in NJ.
It is not compulsory to get blisters. Good well fitting boots/shoes good socks and a liberal application of Vick and you should be OK, I was.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I took that same picture in the fall, and one time in the spring. It's a beautiful spot and yes, I wish I was there, too!

Attachments

• camino springtime.jpg
    camino springtime.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Well-fitting shoes won't always prevent blisters. Sometimes it's a matter of how your toes rub together. I recommend bringing tape to wrap any place that is starting to get hot spots.
I use Injinji liner socks to prevent the blisters I otherwise get between my toes. (I also carry some tape and Compeed blister plasters in my first Aid kit 'just in case'.)

I did my first Camino in my 60th year. What an amazing and exhilarating experience. I met lovely people. Achieved and was challenged in all kinds of ways. Prayers were always answered and boy did I weep when I collected my Compostela. Don't wait guys and girls just do it! I am hooked now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Had to laugh at a travel to Spain commercial for getting people back to the camino. It shows a guy with all his hiking gear and backpack on and he's walking on a treadmill in his bedroom. Never thought about training like that, but whatever works. Also maybe put all your gear on and stand in the shower to simulate walking in the rain, or maybe not. I will be 63 this Sept when I want to attempt my first Camino. I'am pretty excited!

When I walk on my own and am not taking a group, I just start when I want and finish when I want. I find if I finish by 2 pm, I have no problems getting a bed. I'm 68 - will be 69 in August.

Some days maybe I'll only walk 3 hours, other days 6 or 7. Depends on the terrain and how I feel. Also depend on if there is a place that I particularly want to stay or spend time, like Burgos, Leon, Astorga or some of my favorite albergues where I've made friends over the years.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Had to laugh at a travel to Spain commercial for getting people back to the camino. It shows a guy with all his hiking gear and backpack on and he's walking on a treadmill in his bedroom. Never thought about training like that, but whatever works. Also maybe put all your gear on and stand in the shower to simulate walking in the rain, or maybe not. I will be 63 this Sept when I want to attempt my first Camino. I'am pretty excited!
Snap! I did my first at 63 - the Via de la Plata. You'll be good. Buen camino.

Well-fitting shoes won't always prevent blisters. Sometimes it's a matter of how your toes rub together. I recommend bringing tape to wrap any place that is starting to get hot spots.
And lamb's wool. New Zealanders do it and they know everything about hiking. Work it into a patch and place it over the hot spot BEFORE you get the blister.

I've did 3 caminos now & I'm in my 60's. I've never planned anything yet, just wing it & hey, it comes together better than planning it. I fly & catch whatever train cones next to SJPP, then wander down the street & find an albergue that has a vacant bed. Get a pilgrim passport from the office, then have a good sleep. Next day, just walk to Roncesvalles, get a bed, eat & sleep. And every day from then on, walk until tired, find a bed, do laundry, eat sleep & repeat.
We did our first Camino when I was 63. No planning other than giving ourselves 45 days to complete. In the end we did it in 37. We walked until we were tired and then chose an albergue. We were fortunate to have both the time and the funds to use this strategy.

I am 75. My most recent trek in 2019 started in Le Puy and ended in Hontanos, unfortunately due to a family death I had to cut short my goal of Santiago. I have walked 11 Caminos over various routes. I have neuropathy in my right foot which started around 15 years ago after my first Camino. I do little to train for the walk. The only planning I do is the logistics of getting to my starting point.

Like biarritzdon noted. I, too, simply went when the time was right.
I began at 65 and after ten successful CFs due to injury stopped when 76. I never booked anything except the train from Paris and generally stayed in pilgrim albergues for a total of 450 camino nights.

For lots of personal commentary regarding walking including a kit list see my Camino Gazetteer blog.

Last edited:
As part of that over-60 crowd for 7 caminos, I think you can do it. Press yourself just enough for the first part to be "conditioning." Avoid overdoing it. You aren't 20, and your recovery time will be longer than in your youth. Take care of your feet. Take breaks. Stop when you are tired. Do not follow the standard camino stages; if you are good for only 6 km, then walk only 6 km. Do not try to keep up with the interesting people you meet. It will only pull you off of your own pace. Expect to hurt. Expect most of the hurt to go away each night. Accept discomfort. Avoid misery. Everything about a camino is optional, so do not burden yourself with a lot of artificial rules or expectations, particularly the rules and expectations of others. There is no right way. There is no official route, just the path the local juntas set. Most of the traditional route of yore is under pavement. There is no such thing as cheating (except if you accept a Compostela when you did not meet the criteria).

One step at a time. Have no goal except that next step. Have fun! Buen camino.
Deleted Member 3000 has it exactly right. I'm 65, weight 268lbs, have 2 total knee replacements, a 5 level laminectomy and I'm going on my 5th Camino (CP Literally from Lisbon) in 5 years, leaving in one month. Not too far, not too fast, you'll be fine.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I walk on my own and am not taking a group, I just start when I want and finish when I want. I find if I finish by 2 pm, I have no problems getting a bed. I'm 68 - will be 69 in August.

Some days maybe I'll only walk 3 hours, other days 6 or 7. Depends on the terrain and how I feel. Also depend on if there is a place that I particularly want to stay or spend time, like Burgos, Leon, Astorga or some of my favorite albergues where I've made friends over the years.

Huh! You kids today don’t know you’re born. 😂

I forgot to mention I have only walked between April and October. No winter Caminos for me like Meredith. I like summer the most and try my best to avoid long days walking in the rain. I am avoiding all of the drama connected with the madness of trying to dodge the restrictions and hoping to go in 2022, that makes me 77.

I didn't get through all the posts on this thread but I love hearing from the 50-60-70-80 year olds, back in 2011-12-13, so I'll read it all. Any chance anyone from back then, that posted on this thread, have more to say since then, it's 2021 now, 10 years since the thread started and all this wisdom. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I forgot to mention I have only walked between April and October. No winter Caminos for me like Meredith. I like summer the most and try my best to avoid long days walking in the rain. I am avoiding all of the drama connected with the madness of trying to dodge the restrictions and hoping to go in 2022, that makes me 77.
I agree. I don't want to dodge any restrictions. I want to return to the Camino when I can fully enjoy it. It's a bit like my son and his fiancée - They have been engaged since 2018, and were planning to get married last year. Instead of having the wedding this year, with the uncertainty and possible restrictions, they are (tentatively) planning for next year. Having been together for over 10 years (wow, that makes me feel old!), they want to have a wedding celebration that they can fully enjoy with no worries about their friends or relatives, especially grandparents.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found because of bathroom issues a bottom bunk was important.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found because of bathroom issues a bottom bunk was important.
We had a back up plan in case of injury or not liking it but other than that we took it as it came. Initially we walked shorter distances for the 1st couple days (10-15 km) then we found our sweet spot of around 26 km. Listen to your body

Isn't this thread a little ageist? What is this with over 60? I imaging in my naiveté that we plan, or don't bother to plan too much. Like everybody else. But then I am not in anyone else's head, like everybody else isn't.

I remember meeting a frenchman a few years ago doing his 10th consecutive walk from Arles. He had done it every year for 10 yrs: 50 days at 30 km /day. His first time was when he was 72. He gave the impression that he didn't do much planning the first time. Now he certainly didn't need to do any. His annual spring outing. He averaged long days so not everyone slows down when they tip over 60 and start the decline into dementia.

I walked my first Camino (Frances) five years ago when I was 63. No planning (apart from sorting out my rucksack). I trained on my pilgrimage; walking around 15kms a day initially & built up to 20-22kms. This distance suited me. I had the luxury of taking as much time as I wanted as I was recently retired.

Was planning to walk from Zagreb to Trieste via Ljubljana but the pandemic got in the way. Maybe next year …. I’m in no hurry 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I planned my first Camino the same as anyone else! :) OK, MAYBE SLOWER :) I was only 65 then and now 83 been tottering along cheerfully ever since 2003. Do what you can .Camino (to me) is pilgrimage, not a race. Be kind to yourself, leave the flagellation for another day! Camino will give you much,, if you listen and look. Don't be afraid to change your mind or your schedule, the Thought Police are NOT waiting for you when you finish :)

Have a great Camino !

Samarkand.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure many of you like me have followed the writing of Anton Pombo, who is currently lecturing in the United States. See this interview...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back