• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A little whining...

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Air travel just isn't fun any more. I remember the excitement of the journey as a child and watching airplanes take off and land at the airport with my grandparents in the big city of St Louis.

Today I am in Frankfurt on an overnight layover home to the US. I woke to find our flights have been changed now for the 5th time with a 3 hop from here back to our destination and only 40 minutes to make one of the flights.

Starting the day of a transatlantic trip in a bad mood...going to the airport early for all the good that will do.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Air travel just isn't fun any more. I remember the excitement of the journey as a child and watching airplanes take off and land at the airport with my grandparents in the big city of St Louis.

Today I am in Frankfurt on an overnight layover home to the US. I woke to find our flights have been changed now for the 5th time with a 3 hop from here back to our destination and only 40 minutes to make one of the flights.

Starting the day of a transatlantic trip in a bad mood...going to the airport early for all the good that will do.
I once had to race around almost the entire airport there due to our flight landing being delayed. With my pack on. Not fun.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I understand completely! Sometimes it can become very stressful… as it’s just not the ending we are seeking after our time on ‘the way’

Hoping the time on your short transit flight is lengthened ‘perhaps’ by an earlier arrival at that airport than anticipated. My long haul 2 days ago from Sydney into LAX - landed earlier than ETA .. however staff at airport receiving flights didn’t start until 6am so had to wait longer before exiting the plane 😂😂. I just ran. (Bathroom stop could wait). You also need to collect your checked baggage at LAX and re check for the next leg! .
I notice a difference flying in recent years too but one great positive is not needing to show vax certificate etc and negative covid tests anymore. 🙏🙏🙏. I was one of about 5 passengers I saw wearing a mask on a full flight. I thought in a plane was a reasonable place to take care .

I hope you let us know how it rolls out for you. So many changes and more stops.
I feel for you. ❤️❤️❤️

Annie.

Last edited:
I agree completely on the notion on flights just not being enjoyable anymore. Pretty much why i don't travel outside of europe anymore. Well, that, and my dog which doesnt really fit in the overhead compartment.

Just wanted to let you know that depending on the circumstances of your flight you might be entitled to some compensation if you are re-routed, a flight is cancelled or you arrive late on your destination. It's a bit of a hassle, and the airlines won't tell you much about it, but since it can be up to 600€ per passenger i recommend at least reading the Wikipedia article:

Wish I had known you were in Frankfurt, would have come out to the airport and met you for a coffee. We had several people on our tour this morning that were on long layovers, arrived this morning, flying out tonight.
Good luck to you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FWIW - this weekend in the US is HORRIBLE for air travel. There are delays all over the place. The FUBAR situation is record-setting. Thousands of flights have been cancelled. International flights might get to their first US port-of-entry, but getting anywhere from there is a coin toss.

As you know, one delay snowballs into a big delay, then spreads to all the interconnected airports, spreading out from the fewer airline hubs. Everyone here is blaming everyone else.

Multi-segment flights are bad enough. But worrying about connection times, tight connection times, and missed flights is usually not worth it.

My best suggestion is to see if you cannot arrange an overnight layover at one of your connection points. This would allow the system to calm down overnight. Then continue homeward tomorrow.

In Europe, the US or Canada, the overnight location does not matter. Try to stay at an airport hotel with free shuttle service. Try to book a later morning departure so you can get a full night's sleep. The world will look a lot better after some decent food and a good bed overnight.

Depending where you are in your trip home, your airline Customer Service desk might be able to rebook you tomorrow, and reserve an appropriate hotel for you at your current or next connection. They can also retrieve and re-route your checked luggage.

Remember, you are a pilgrim. When presented with any challenge, you assess, devise an adaptation, then overcome the challenge. You did this every day while on Camino. You can do this!

Personally, I have traded off cost for convenience and comfort many times over the past fifty years of global air travel.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Isn't fun anymore???? It has sucked the big wazoo for years and years and more years. In the 80's and 90's I flew ALOT for work and it has gotten worse and worse and worse over the years. I can barely remember when I enjoyed flying or even saw it as only a minor inconvenience.

Everything looked better when you were a kid ... someone else was dealing with all the crap. I have found, however, flying in, out, or around the US is much worse than anywhere else in the world ... and the airports are some of the most uncomfortable.
Don't whine ... be flexible. 😉

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Could say first world problem but flying does have some upside.

Flying in a small tourist plane in Tanzania had to get into the co-pilot's seat as it was the only seat available. Was able to view the whole scene including a very large vulture flying past within a couple of feet. Looked at the pilot who just shrugged and said it's easier to keep flying straight as birds are more maneuverable than a fixed wing and can adjust.

Whether that is true or not, he stuck to his story.

PS. All through the flight I could hear my wife whisper - "don't touch the dials!. She knows me so well.

@Corned Beef reminds me of the floatplane which took me from Salt Spring Harbour International Airport's clapboard quay to Union Lake in Seattle. Pre 9-11 I sat in the co-pilot's seat while the pilot ate his cheese sandwich and chocolate milk lunch. He was Alaskan and had done small plane transport in Vietnam ut moved to Victoria when children arrived. We saw one of the tremendously huge US submarines in the sound and he announced that he would fly down and buzz them as they were old friends. The sailors saw us coming and began to dance a conga line for us. I fear that things have changed since then.

I had to wait a half-hour for the flight to arrive at Ganges, but there was a café across the street with great muffins and strong coffee (which they called a Canadiano rather than an Americano).

As far as the situation described above, I wish I could solve it. Depending on the delay, an airport hotel with shuttle is my first preference, but all-day waits have ended up with my buying a pass to the Business Class lounge--- some day I will have them stamp my credential.

Last edited:

I am sorry to hear of your inconveniences. I have experienced much of the same earlier this year (on a short haul domestic flight) and hear many similar nightmare scenarios from others who have flown lately. I agree completely with your sentiments, especially those pertaining to the excitement of travel when I was younger. As someone who has been very fortunate to have traveled extensively around the world for decades, I no longer feel the need to deal with these current travel and logistical nightmares. I’m now quite content exploring my own continent by car nowadays. Perhaps someday I’ll return to the skies, but until they become friendlier I’ll stick to quieter backroads travel by car. Safe travels.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Air travel just isn't fun any more.
It is more fun when you are heading out, isn't it?

I agree that the long flights can be more brutal on old bodies than they were on our younger selves.

The big difference I see is how cheap air travel is now, compared to the old days, if you consider the average incomes. If we were prepared to pay for first class tickets (still a smaller fraction of my income than regular fares were 50 or 30 years ago), it would be more comfortable and likely more fun. Of course, I am too cheap to do that, so I must put up with the consequences.

I sympathise. But frankly, as an adult I’ve never found air travel fun.
Whilst running between flights is NOT enjoyable,(especially as we age!) it’s much rarer nowadays than it used to be when I first started out. And one MAJOR improvement - no smoking!! The first few years I was travelling were NOT enjoyable.
Except for looking out the windows during takeoff and landing!
And @C clearly is right about the price- my first one way ticket from Auckland to Sydney cost me around two weeks wages. Now it’s around a day’s, less if you get lucky…… .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm on hold as I write this, having discovered that my first flight tomorrow of three is canceled. No notification, no email, nothing. I found out when I (fortunately!) went to check my flight details - I checked in this morning no problem.
Welcome to the club, Janet.
Flying ceased to be fun decades ago.

I don't like flying, the air always seems weird, maybe low in oxygen. I tend to sleep a lot when i fly. I would hate travelling from Europe to America. It was bad enough going UK to Cuba.

I can remember my first flight as a toddler in probably early 1966 (to Spain hehehe), and utterly loathing it, screaming my head off after take off.

With the exception of a couple of near empty Air France flights in late adolescence with refreshments galore, my impression of flying has little changed since the 1960s. I hate it -- despite an uncle and a nephew having been fighter pilots (Hurricane and F-16), and a brother having had a small airline business.

Doesn't help that my extremely log legs fit poorly into typical airliner leg "room" ...

Does help though that the Camino starts at my front door and with a single step !!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can remember my first flight as a toddler in probably early 1966, and utterly loathing it, screaming my head off after take off.

With the exception of a couple of near empty Air France flights in late adolescence with refreshments galore, my impression of flying has little changed since the 1960s. I hate it -- despite an uncle a
I spent about 4 hours pressing the buttons on the seat while heading to Hong Kong with my parents around 1976. Thankfully ( I guess) I don't remember the engine falling off the 747 on the way back and being forced to land at Tehran airport (or whatever it was called back then). Still I did a holiday i barely remember and went to two places that some people rarely go to. :p

I once had to race around almost the entire airport there due to our flight landing being delayed. With my pack on. Not fun.
I have done this exact same thing myself before many times; most recently to catch a train to the Madrid airport going home from my most recent Camino on May 24th.

Unfortunately this time while racing, I slipped and fell hard on the slick granite floor and the momentum caused me to fracture my arm in two places. Only this past week am I finally able to dress myself. I have now started physical therapy, but am told it usually takes a long time to have full range of motion when the upper humerus bone is broken.
I learned a lesson that no matter how fit I think I am, I will never run again to make a bus, train, or airport connection because I am always wearing a cumbersome backpack. I now would rather have the annoyance of missing a connection, rather than what I have been going through since I fell.😐

Please folks, think twice before charging ahead in such a hurry; one day it may not be worth it.

I have done this exact same thing myself before many times; most recently to catch a train to the Madrid airport going home from my most recent Camino on May 24th.

Unfortunately this time while racing, I slipped and fell hard on the slick granite floor and the momentum caused me to fracture my arm in two places. Only this past week am I finally able to dress myself. I have now started physical therapy, but am told it usually takes a long time to have full range of motion when the upper humerus bone is broken.
I learned a lesson that no matter how fit I think I am, I will never run again to make a bus, train, or airport connection because I am always wearing a cumbersome backpack. I now would rather have the annoyance of missing a connection, rather than what I have been going through since I fell.😐

Please folks, think twice before charging ahead in such a hurry; one day it may not be worth it.
It's not just airports.

Mainly hitching but also a little bit of hiking back from Compostela in 2014, at El Burgo Ranero I slipped on a wet floor after a shower at the Albergue and broke my wrist. Still hurts sometimes.

It's when you think the hard stuff is done and it's just EZ back home that you're liable to be careless and not move with the proper care that is essential to any carrying along on the Camino. Even in a train or bus station or airport or your final trip from arrival to home.

Until you're home, you're still a pilgrim -- so take care !!

€83,-

Broken bones are not good. Done what you have done in the past. I now have a very chilled out attitude to it. If you are late for whatever reason, so be it. If you miss a connection it's unfortunate, but that's why you have travel insurance (assuming you do). Injuring yourself in the pursuit of getting somewhere is seldom wise. ;)

I'm still recovering from a broken hand and wrist. They heal, but never fully and they still ache when it's cold.

I always purchase travel insurance, but made a decision to wait to seek treatment until I got home instead, which was "the lesser of two evils" so to speak, in my situation.
I know my accident was entirely preventable in hindsight, of course.
I'm sure there are many other Camino related accidents each year as you both already know.

Update: the flight from Frankfurt to Denver was on time, but after reconsideration, we consulted again with the airline and will stay here in Denver overnight tonight and take a direct flight to Springfield tomorrow.

Normally we'd be almost home by now as Denver is the largest international Airport to our home in Wyoming, but we left our car in Springfield, Mo, so we could check in with my aging and ailing parents before heading back home to go camping in the Wyoming Big Horn Mts the rest of the summer. We've got a 2 day drive back home after we back get to Springfield after checking in on my parents.

Slept a little on the plane, but there were lots of crying babies and families on our flight so it will feel good to sleep in a Marriott property with their good fluffy pillows tonight.

Thanks for all the commiserating.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Could say first world problem but flying does have some upside.

Flying in a small tourist plane in Tanzania had to get into the co-pilot's seat as it was the only seat available.
In my area, there's lots of 10 seater Cessna's that fly to various small airports throughout New England. They always put a passenger in the copilot seat for the balance. I was on one of those planes a few years ago but decided that I didn't like to be on an airplane with only one pilot...

I always purchase travel insurance, but made a decision to wait to seek treatment until I got home instead, which was "the lesser of two evils" so to speak, in my situation.
I know my accident was entirely preventable in hindsight, of course.
I'm sure there are many other Camino related accidents each year as you both already know.

Yeah, accidents happen. On Camino (and slightly off it).

First year I walked I met up with my parents at the end and we ended up at a small village called Entrago in the Picos near Oviedo. I had seen a rock face in a somewhat sketchy location near the place I was camping at, maybe a couple hundred metres up a very steep scree slope. Decided I was going to go up there and get some pictures (and if I had gear would have climbed there too). So went up and realised just how steep and high it was. Made it maybe 3/4 the way up before a rock slide occurred. I ended up face planting on the slope. Cut my forehead up a bit. Embarrassment came shortly after. But i also realised had I fallen, I would have definitely gone over the edge at the bottom into the gorge. But it was a humbling experience. :p

I've seen a few people do things on Camino that I would badge as risky, but no one ever got hurt thankfully. I have no interest in using my First Aid training if I can help it. :)

I've resisted the urge to add to this post until now...but I can no longer.
I'll say just 3 things & I'm sure I'll hear the collective groan & sense the stress/sinking feeling all the way down here in Tassie...
1/ flight cancellation
2/ alternative flight scramble
3/ skyrocketing $$$ & crush of last minute airport hotel bookings....

& that was just to get home from a domestic flight!

Yep, I'm over it too. Have not been able to even contemplate a long haul flight since Covid lockdowns. Much loved Bali is as far as I can face venturing these days.

Good on those of you who have found your way back to the trail, hassles & all ...I so effectively shut down that side of my life, I can't seem to kick start it again. Momentum lost. 🤷‍♀️
👣🌏

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ok, still on the wrong time zone, but slept about 10 hours in my near- the- Denver-airport hotel. Used points on my Marriott account to pay and will also get a free breakfast and shuttle to the airport. Flight at 10 and back in Springfield around 1 pm or so with yet another time zone change.

Phil and I are discussing our arrangements to get back to my Dad's and where our pickup truck is parked. The Springfield airport isn't near Dad's place. We also have to retrieve a fly fishing reel that our nephew who works at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield has had the line replaced on while we were gone. My dad had a recent open heart surgery followed by a stroke and while he can drive, I know he has a therapy schedule to keep. Might Uber to Bass Pro which is near his therapy place and if he can't pick us up, then Uber on to his house in rural Missouri south of Nixa. It will be a pricey, but all relative since we just spent 6 weeks in Spain...we'll just cut back on extras at home to make up the difference.

After an overnight check on my Dad and stepmother, must be in Raymore just South of Kansas City, by noon tomorrow to check on my mother and stepdad (2 or 3 hour drive) They planned a family get together with my brother at a restaurant near their home and my Mom is pretty much a shut-in due to her health problems. My stepdad also has a number of health concerns and needs Phil's help with moving something around at their house. Don't want to disappoint...

Hopefully then on towards home after lunch, but we will see how we feel. If we're too tired, we'll stay somewhere else along the way. No more air travel (hopefully) till I return to Spain for my Study Abroad group in December and January!

IGood on those of you who have found your way back to the trail, hassles & all ...I so effectively shut down that side of my life, I can't seem to kick start it again. Momentum lost. 🤷‍♀️
👣🌏
Life is finite, you get an allowance and when it's up, it's up. No refunds. ;)

So you should try and get back into the swing of things. Maybe don't do a full camino, but there are other trails, probably nearer to you. The trails in Japan could be a possible.

I am walking this year. I have been told due to immunosuppression issues I shouldn't. But I would rather live an enjoyable life and die happy, than die with regrets (although there will still be some of those when the time comes). So I will go walk my Camino, maybe do Francigena or something else next year. You only live once. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Anything to springboard the process again. I mean Covid was bad, but we have to move on now. It's not going away, but we pretty much understand a lot about it. It's time to re-embrace some level of normality. ;)

i know she did some of it from reading the Japanese Trail threads the other year, but even revisiting somewhere you have previously been might work. It doesn't have to be new. Just has to be interesting and get you out of your normal life, long enough that you might get that itch once again.

The last time I did Camino was 2017, so it's been a while. :)

Thanks for your thoughts @Pathfinder075 (& sentiments @VNwalking, @JennyH94, @OzAnnie & @Bradypus)...I understand what you're saying but I look at the way I'm currently feeling a bit differently.
It's not a case of not moving on from Covid, I just have a new normal. I still walk everywhere (my car battery carked it from lack of use 😏). I have to walk, need to walk, its part of who I am...at the moment, I just don't feel the need to go afar to do it.
I think I can safely say I'm quite well travelled (50+ countries) & have walked long distance trails in a dozen different nations. My current mind set says 2 things to me;
I'm appreciative/grateful/thankful for all I've done to date
&
I'm happy & content to 'live local' for now.

The 2nd point is huge for me; I've always been a restless soul so to be enjoying staying put is a revelation to me.

To try & get back into the swing of international travel, late last year I went back to where it all began; Bali...I loved it...so much so I'm going back for longer Oct/Nov this year. I have also done multiple domestic trips this year incl places I hadn't visited for 25+ years.
So @Pathfinder075 fear not, I'm not rusting away...what seemed so 'have to' (My Trail To Do List was long...now I barely recall what was on it) just doesn't feel that important anymore. Will that change in the near or far future?...who knows...& that's the beauty of it all! 🤗

My very best wishes to you & everyone else back 'out there'...I couldn't be happier for you & enjoy reading about it here on the Forum.
Happy trails!
👣🌏
PS..sorry for the diversion @J Willhaus 😇

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
FYI, we did make it back to Springfield, Mo. My dad had a dizzy spell shortly after setting out to get us at the airport and had to divert to his Dr office and then urgent care. We took an Uber after all. He seems ok, but has a follow up appt this morning. Starting the 1000 mile journey back home in our own vehicle later this morning.

FYI, we did make it back to Springfield, Mo. My dad had a dizzy spell shortly after setting out to get us at the airport and had to divert to his Dr office and then urgent care. We took an Uber after all. He seems ok, but has a follow up appt this morning. Starting the 1000 mile journey back home in our own vehicle later this morning.
Safe journey home. Thank you for all your updates and sharing your experiences as a hospitalero and pilgrim. Your writings were wonderful to read.

Drove through south to North through half of Missouri yesterday. Stopped for lunch with family. Stayed in Lincoln, NE, last night. Hope to be home in Laramie, WY, tonight. Will post some costs on another thread when I get home and some budget places I found to eat in Madrid and Santiago for the research for my study abroad trip with students this coming December January.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Home! Probably a hiatus from the forum now as we are going camping in remote areas of Wyoming now through the end of the month. Thanks to all of you for following us on this year's volunteer and Camino journey. I will post some costs and restaurant picks tomorrow though.

I don’t hate flying. I don’t even hate airports (which have so many more services than they had 30 years ago.) I do occasionally despair of the other people in the airports and on airplanes. 🤔

I recall flying in the ‘no smoking’ section of airplanes. The logic of that separation made as much sense as saying the passengers at the front of the plane were going to a different destination. I hated flying on those planes.

I understand completely! Sometimes it can become very stressful… as it’s just not the ending we are seeking after our time on ‘the way’

Hoping the time on your short transit flight is lengthened ‘perhaps’ by an earlier arrival at that airport than anticipated. My long haul 2 days ago from Sydney into LAX - landed earlier than ETA .. however staff at airport receiving flights didn’t start until 6am so had to wait longer before exiting the plane 😂😂. I just ran. (Bathroom stop could wait). You also need to collect your checked baggage at LAX and re check for the next leg! .
I notice a difference flying in recent years too but one great positive is not needing to show vax certificate etc and negative covid tests anymore. 🙏🙏🙏. I was one of about 5 passengers I saw wearing a mask on a full flight. I thought in a plane was a reasonable place to take care .

I hope you let us know how it rolls out for you. So many changes and more stops.
I feel for you. ❤️❤️❤️

Annie.
LAX is the a-**%$#@*-le of the world, in my experience over 45 years, and it was a wonderful day when QANTAS started the non-stop flights between Sydney and Dallas Ft Worth, some years ago now, pre-Covid. Anything that minimises/prevents the need to fly on US carriers is an improvement and even better if one can by-pass LA entirely. It's possible, although travel agents and flight websites stubbornly persist in routing Aus-NZ travelers via LAX as a first option. And it's puzzling, because LAX is notorious as a dreadful airport, poorly staffed and inefficient. I do anything I can to avoid traveling that way, and hardly ever travel back to visit my Yank family/friends due to the challenges. I'd rather fly to Europe and a pilgrimage, despite the distances!

€60,-
I don’t hate flying. I don’t even hate airports (which have so many more services than they had 30 years ago.) I do occasionally despair of the other people in the airports and on airplanes. 🤔

I recall flying in the ‘no smoking’ section of airplanes. The logic of that separation made as much sense as saying the passengers at the front of the plane were going to a different destination. I hated flying on those planes.
I actually enjoyed my one and only flight on a "no smoking" section plane many years ago. I was in the section that didn't allow smoking, but of course I could smell smoke from the "smoking section." I said something to the flight attendant and she put me in first class seating for the remainder of the trip. A VERY fond memory!

I generally make sure I have long layovers. Especially with Greyhound (US bus company that is never on time and often arrives after the departure of the one I needed to change to). But I don't wear a cumbersome backpack in airports or bus/train stations. There are bags that will fit in an airplane overhead that have wheels AND shoulder straps.

Last edited:
@Corned Beef reminds me of the floatplane which took me from Salt Spring Harbour International Airport's clapboard quay to Union Lake in Seattle. Pre 9-11 I sat in the co-pilot's seat while the pilot ate his cheese sandwich and chocolate milk lunch. He was Alaskan and had done small plane transport in Vietnam ut moved to Victoria when children arrived. We saw one of the tremendously huge US submarines in the sound and he announced that he would fly down and buzz them as they were old friends. The sailors saw us coming and began to dance a conga line for us. I fear that things have changed since then.

I had to wait a half-hour for the flight to arrive at Ganges, but there was a café across the street with great muffins and strong coffee (which they called a Canadiano rather than an Americano).

As far as the situation described above, I wish I could solve it. Depending on the delay, an airport hotel with shuttle is my first preference, but all-day waits have ended up with my buying a pass to the Business Class lounge--- some day I will have them stamp my credential.
Ganges and the floatplane service is still pretty much the same, thankfully.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Janet and Phil, I do hope you are home safely now.
However I imagine that none of us here today had to wait at a the town now called Puenta la Reina waiting for a man to ferry us across the river.

My journey TO the Camino was supposed to be Belize - Miami - London - Madrid, reaching Thursday evening to get rested before our train the next morning. BUT:

Flight from Belize to Miami got diverted to Orlando. Orlando Immigration wasn't set up to receive us, so we spent a couple of hours on the plane.

Of course not a single soul on that plane (and many others) was meant to be going to Orlando, so we spent hours in line for rebooking. For some reason, they had to split our booking to get my companion and me on the same flights, but that was fine. (Haha or WAS it?)

After a "restful" 4 hours in a hotel near the airport, we flew from Orlando to Chicago, where we sat for 12 hours. (Make that 13½ as our flight got delayed.)

We got to Madrid Friday morning, and made a mad dash to the train station, with nearly 15 minutes to spare!

Fast forward to the night before we were to return home. We were sitting at a café next to our hotel sipping wine after a flamenco show, when it dawned on me that I hadn't gotten a check in reminder for the flight the next morning. Julie said she had, so I started digging...

Long story short, when they split our booking, they neglected to remove me from the Miami - London flight. When I wasn't on it, THE REST OF MY ITINERARY GOT CANCELED!!!

My original flight was now full, but they managed to book me on a different airline leaving a couple of hours after my friend. We did link up again in Miami that evening, and flew home to Belize together the next morning.

So no, flying is not the fun adventure it used to be!

€83,-
The flying is not so bad....to me the worst part are the people. People are not like they were before.

I love flying!
The worst part are the people.
People are not as considerate as they were before. They act like they are the only ones on the planet.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Sorry to hear of your problems! Hope you are relaxed now post journey. I also loved watching the planes take off about a mile from my home in the 80s, (London Heathrow), esp. the big planes off to the USA with Pan Am seemingly impossibly glamourous. Then came Concorde in 1976 with thousands of people going about their daily business looking up in the air in unison!

Airline travel was very exclusive and very expensive, passengers dressed to impress, and full services meals offered even on 1 hour flights!

It changed of course. Well especially in price and availability to the normal person. There are frustrations…call centres for one. But I do question whether it’s got worse.

If you look at possibly the three major metrics;

Regularity. - less than 1% of scheduled flights are cancelled.
Punctuality - > 90% services depart on time.
Baggage Delivery - >99% of bags are delivered as scheduled.
Connections achieved. - don’t have a stat but it’s the vast majority.

Just my thoughts and none of them meant to minimise anyone’s issues as apprecaitw none of this is much consolation when your individual trip goes wrong, and of course understandably we get a lot of reports on here re that!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your problems! Hope you are relaxed now post journey. I also loved watching the planes take off about a mile from my home in the 80s, (London Heathrow), esp. the big planes off to the USA with Pan Am seemingly impossibly glamourous. Then came Concorde in 1976 with thousands of people going about their daily business looking up in the air in unison!

Airline travel was very exclusive and very expensive, passengers dressed to impress, and full services meals offered even on 1 hour flights!

It changed of course. Well especially in price and availability to the normal person. There are frustrations…call centres for one. But I do question whether it’s got worse.

If you look at possibly the three major metrics;

Regularity. - less than 1% of scheduled flights are cancelled.
Punctuality - > 90% services depart on time.
Baggage Delivery - >99% of bags are delivered as scheduled.
Connections achieved. - don’t have a stat but it’s the vast majority.

Just my thoughts and none of them meant to minimise anyone’s issues as apprecaitw none of this is much consolation when your individual trip goes wrong, and of course understandably we get a lot of reports on here re that!
Three years in a row we were among the 1% with cancelled flights and among the 10% with late flights causing us to miss connections. As a child in the 70's my parents often put my brother and I on overseas flights back and forth to visit the other parent and no airlines staff ever checked on us except to note we were traveling alone and I recall only one or 2 issues with layovers resulting from late flights. No one helped us with bags or checked the ID of the parent picking us up. I remember military with machine guns and dogs at the Frankfurt airport during terrorism scares. Don't know if those were the bad old days or the good ones. It is just a lot less certain now with planes and tickets making it harder to get hotels and train connections in Spain.

Right now,, I am sitting in my campsite in the Wyoming Snowy Range sipping my camp coffee. We have been camping around Wyoming in the mountains near Yellowstone, in the Big Horn mountains, and now close to home again for the last 3 weeks. I am watching 4 hummingbirds fight over my brought from home feeder and yesterday a cow moose and her calf browsed near our campsite for 15 minutes. We have been fishing, hiking, and generally watching wildlife (foxes, weasels, chipmunks, deer, antelope, moose and even one bear). I feel the stress of travel slipping away and will use these moments to recall during future travel snafus that I know will occur despite the statistics.

Going back to Spain this winter leading a group of University over the winter break on a short Camino so will store up my Zen memories for that trip.

Thank you - yes its a changing world...on reflection, maybe not better or worse just different!

Your current situ sounds sounds idyllic - I have a rare domestic trip within the UK later this week and am looking forward to it immeasurably and not having to fly I must admit - sadly no moose or bears, but the smell of the countryside, some cozy pubs and some time for walking and thinking - have a great one!

Edit - ooh sorry - just realised I mentioned Pan Am when I think STL is/was TWA territory!!!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Three years in a row we were among the 1% with cancelled flights and among the 10% with late flights causing us to miss connections. As a child in the 70's my parents often put my brother and I on overseas flights back and forth to visit the other parent and no airlines staff ever checked on us except to note we were traveling alone and I recall only one or 2 issues with layovers resulting from late flights. No one helped us with bags or checked the ID of the parent picking us up. I remember military with machine guns and dogs at the Frankfurt airport during terrorism scares. Don't know if those were the bad old days or the good ones. It is just a lot less certain now with planes and tickets making it harder to get hotels and train connections in Spain.

Right now,, I am sitting in my campsite in the Wyoming Snowy Range sipping my camp coffee. We have been camping around Wyoming in the mountains near Yellowstone, in the Big Horn mountains, and now close to home again for the last 3 weeks. I am watching 4 hummingbirds fight over my brought from home feeder and yesterday a cow moose and her calf browsed near our campsite for 15 minutes. We have been fishing, hiking, and generally watching wildlife (foxes, weasels, chipmunks, deer, antelope, moose and even one bear). I feel the stress of travel slipping away and will use these moments to recall during future travel snafus that I know will occur despite the statistics.

Going back to Spain this winter leading a group of University over the winter break on a short Camino so will store up my Zen memories for that trip.
A nice morning on the river casting a dry fly to just the right place in the river. Good times to you both. Glad that the flights went off well, your father in a more stable condition, and a good cup of camp coffee sounds wonderful.
Appreciate the updates,

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back