• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A packlist for your consideration

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances SJPDP--->SDC (Dates TBD)
Buen Camino!
I was thinking about making a pilgrimage to Spain for the Camino de Santiago. I have a preliminary packing list that I would love some feedback on. I was thinking of going in May of whatever year i go.
IMPORTANT
U.S. Passport (book)
Pilgrim’s Passports (Credential) in little ziploc baggie
Money ($500 in Euros to start)
ATM/Debit card
Credit card (Visa)
Prescriptions for medications/glasses translated into Spanish and French
Important phone numbers (us consulates, bank, home , etc.)
Travelers insurance card
MedicAlert tag (either a watch, bracelet, sports band, etc)...Allergies
Copies of all important documents

CLOTHES
Boots. I’m not sure if I want ones that are waterproof or ones that are breathable...
Sandals (Teva would be preferred)
Flip-flops for shower.
4 pairs underwear...NOT COTTON
4 pairs socks (SmartWool)
4 pairs of liner socks
4 shirts...NOT COTTON (2 long sleeve, 2 short)
2 pair “convertible” pants
1 pair lightweight cargo pants...NOT COTTON
1 pair cargo shorts, NOT COTTON
Rain gear (poncho or rain suit)
Gaiters
Fleece jumper
Boonie hat, not a baseball cap (marks you as an American)
Warm hat (navy watch hat)
Gloves (higher altitudes like at Cruz de Ferro)
Glasses and sunglasses
Spare glasses and sunglasses
"keepers" for glasses/sunglasses

PERSONAL CARE
4 oz bottle of 2-in-1 shampoo (replace as needed)
Bar of soap in mesh bag
Microfiber washcloth (REI)
Microfiber towel (REI)
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Dental Floss
Sunblock
Bug juice (small bottle)
Lip balm
Meds
Deodorant (Arm & Hammer unscented)
Allergy pills (non-drowsy and Benadryl)
Ear plugs (for snorers in hostels) <---MYSELF included
Eyeglass repair kit
Sewing kit
Toilet paper (tubes removed)
Foot powder or Vaseline
Anti-chafe balm (BodyGlide)
no-rinse soap (washing hands on the trail)
EQUIPMENT

Pack (treated for bed bugs). I was thinking of one from LL Bean
Rain cover (not needed if we wear Altus ponchos)
Sleeping bag...find something long enough and lightweight (treated against bugs)
Twin fitted sheet w/ pillowcase sewn on.(treated against bugs)
Camping pillow (treated against bugs)
Waterproof bags for clothes and sleeping bag
Ziplock bags for other gear
Camelbak
First aid kit--> See separate document
Transport bag for pack
Whistle
Trek poles or walking stick
Lighter
Universal sink plug
Woolite laundry packets
“Kitchen sink” (collapsible washbasin) for laundry or soaking tired feet
Small trowel (for making “cat holes”)
Swiss army knife with good corkscrew
32 oz wide-mouth Nalgene bottle
Splash guard for Nalgene bottle
Headlamp and battery charger
Reflective tape strips for pack/ankles (walking in the dark)
Blinker from a bike (attach to pack for walking in the dark)
Money belt
#36 Nylon twine, OD Green, cut into 20 pieces of 25’ (making rosaries for other peregrinos)
20 crucifixes, black plastic.
Mobile phone
Backpacking clothesline (for hotels)
Irish Breakfast (or Earl Grey) tea bags/ Starbucks Vita coffee packets
Thermos mug with a carabiner attached
Knee braces (support when going over the mountains
SwissCard

MISCELLANEOUS
Missal/Hymnal...useful for Mass attendance and personal reflection time
Digital camera (get one that uses “AA” batteries or can charge via USB)
SD cards
iPod touch with cable and earphones
Nook (Bible and Divine Office loaded on)
Spanish phrasebook
Journal and pens
Airmail stationery (get stamps from Tobacconist shops)
Rosary (NOT Cursillo one)
Pilgrim guide for Camino Frances
Packets of Gatorade
GU Gel (energy)
Clif bars
Scallop shell painted with Santiago cross

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There seems to be an awful lot of duplication.
  • You only need two sets of basic clothes, not four.
  • Three or four pairs of socks is okay, but I only took two pairs of liner socks, and that worked for me.
  • Look around the forum for discussions on boots vs shoes, and choose one.
  • Sandals are generally fine for the shower, and I wouldn't add flip-flops.
  • There appears to be both a water bladder and bottle. You don't really need both.
  • You appear worried about being 'marked as an American'. I know plenty of fine Americans, some of whom even come from the US. Most seem proud of their country. If it worries you being identified as being from the US, don't worry about the baseball cap - they are almost universal - don't get an LL Bean pack, but choose one of the reputable European makers.
  • Last, pilgrims, especially long distance pilgrims, tolerate their own body odours.

If you buy a pack for your proposed load, it will be way too big for a Camino. Before making that investment, get a lighter load list, and see how much volume you need then.

Regards,

Hi!

If I were you, I would first weigh everything.
(That's fun. I love weighing my things)

And I would only take one pair of trousers, and one pair of shorts.
Four tops are ok if they are very light. But otherwise three will be fine. Or even two. The same about the underwear.
(The pleasure of not having to wash your clothes exactly everyday maybe makes it worth to carry a little extra)
Very light flip flops are essential, otherwise your Tevas will be soaked when showering and how fun is it to wear wet sandals when off to pilgrim dinner. :wink:

If I were you I would especially weigh the boots, as you might end up preferring to walk in sandals and then you will have to carry the boots. (I'm also walking in May and I'm leaving the boots at home, as I consider boots as winter shoes)
There's a lot of work with boots, trying to keep them dry (gaiters etc), and trying to make your feet bear with them.

And deo is a great thing as it makes it easier to wash the t-shirts =less smelly.
A nalgene is great in winter as you can use it as a hot water bottle, but in summer maybe unnecessary?
And a thermos etc sounds nice, but it must be heavy? Myself I prefer to buy coffee in a bar, and use their toilet. And only use the nature as a bathroom in case of emergency.

Please don't worry that people won't like you because you are an American. That's not true.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Try to make your gear do more than one thing, that way you can take less e.g. rather than taking gloves, wear spare socks on your hands; a small wet scarf tied around your neck will cool you down, tied around your head it will keep you warm.

• Zip-off pants are great and, with two pairs of them, you don't need either the shorts or the cargo pants. Four pairs of things is overkill, two is plenty.
  • Some people like to wear two pairs of socks (i.e. liners and outer socks) and others use Vaseline. You shouldn't need both.
  • Some like gaiters but I can't see the need for them.
  • Spare glasses? In case of emergency you have your prescription. How about sunshades that clip over your normal glasses rather than separate sunglasses?
  • Kitchen sink is unnecessary weight. Taking your socks off when you're resting will cool your feet.
  • As has already been mentioned, you need either water bottles or a bladder, not both.

That's enough for starters. The basic rule is that if you are not going to use something every day, leave it at home. Naturally, there are exceptions and these are wet weather gear and a warm top.

If you have time you can see these pages :
- CLOTHING FOR ST JAMES : http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/clothing/
- What to bring in your backpack for St James : http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/20...-what-to-bring-in-your-backpack-for-st-james/
- http://alaquarelle.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/paquetage/
the picture is here
pak021.jpg

- a bit of humor :
532102_3385084986844_199563000_n.jpg

Buen camino

Letendre

Hi Wanderingchristian blessings on your Camino
It looks an awful lot. You can get virtually everything you need on the Camino. A place to wash and dry clothes each night and if occasionally you don't its not the end of the world. Coffee, tea, food there are so many bars and cafes. look at each days walk and listen to others - or just ask the hospitaleros and you will find out the very few sections where you may need a little picnic lunch of bread cheese and or meat. And there are virtually always places to eat at night, or the hospitaleros will be cooking. It is nice to share cooking a meal with fellow pilgrims in an Albergue but these can usually be spontaneous and food bought where you are staying.
2 Pairs Zip offs 3-4 trekking t sirtrs / shirts. 1 pair boots or trekking shoes - personal choice and flip flops can suffice. All purpose soap, tooth paste etc just the basics
Shower at night not in the morning - it makes your feet soft. put on clean clothes and wear them next day and so on. Safety pins - you can dry things hanging from your back pack. Back pack liner ( bin bag is fine and light) and raincover is all you need to keep everything dry

I posted sandals, spare glasses, camera case and lots more onto Santiago from Burgos - as did many others. Go light - Blessed are you pilgrim when you get to the end of the journey and your back pack is empty because you dont need anything

Chill out about everything from possessions to food and drink etc - and the Camino will look after you Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think you'll need a fork lift truck to carry that lot! Personally as a man weighing 95 kilos I find that carrying my 6.3 kilo plus water/food is quite enough There is plenty of advice already posted for you to spend happy hours reading. There are different views abound, but a general consensus is the lighter the better, just see the posts about things being left at albergues or posted ahead when the weight bites.
Buen Camino
allan

Thermos mug is heavy--no mug necessary IMO, but if so titanium at REI. Journal can be replaced by carrying appropriate number of pages from spiral notebook. One pen--if you lose it, buy another locally. Tear out pages from guidebooks as needed. Nalgine and bladder are redundant. If you need a temporary water container, buy a soda and reuse the plastic bottle. Sink plug unnecessary. Not sure about you intended Woolite use--a small Campsuds bottle will wash clothes (If you are staying in hotels occasionally, you can "resupply.") No need for pillow -- use some of the clothes you are carrying (fleece pullover). Not sure what a transport bag is--not needed for carry-on. If you mean waterproof liner, use a trash compactor bag, which is very lightweight.
Susan "backpack" Alcorn

Wow, that is a very comprehensive list. You've really thought this through, but you'd better throw in a trailer to tow it all. Seriously though, I probably took less than half of that and still dropped some items off and had other stuff I never used. Got some great ideas from this forum for next time.

You won't need bushwalking gaiters but I use lightweight cotton gaiters used by people in the building industry to keep sawdust out of their boots. It's personal choice, but I like them to keep gravel and grass seeds out of mine.

As for soap, I got a small bottle of liquid shower soap while already on the Camino. It was great and I was able to use it to wash both me and my clothes. I simply bought more as I went. As already mentioned above, it is good to aim for multi-use products.

You'll be right.

PS. I love Americans as do most people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Looking at this list I have to say that you could do away with half of this and a much more pleasant experience. Here is the most important adage: Ounces makes pounds, pounds make pain....Practice a little creativity for things that you think you need to carry. "Less is more". Although parts of the route or routes are somewhat remote, it's Spain and not the Outback. One is probably not more than a one day walk from civilization. I carried less than 15 pounds and that included a lightweight down sleeping bag. My pack fit easily in the overhead rack on a bus. If you would like more details on what I carried let me know, I'll send a list.
I suppose for me it was very much a spiritual quest. And I truly believed that if I needed "it", "it" would appear. This proved to be true.
Have fun,
Obinja

Folks talked about most things to adjust, but I would look at your books and tech gadgets. I have an android but you could look to finding your books as an iPod app and put them there. If apple has a Nook reader for your iPod then you could drop the heavier tablet and deal with the iPod alone. Remember you have to add the weight of European current compatible chargers for all devices you carry. If an item can do more than one job then drop the other redundant items.

Ok, here is my take on your original list:

U.S. Passport (book) - Yes
Pilgrim’s Passports (Credential) in little ziploc baggie - Yes
Money ($500 in Euros to start) - Yes
ATM/Debit card + Credit card (Visa) - Yes, don't forget to check their expire date and to inform your bank that you are going abroad. Some banks might block your card for "unusual activity" otherwise.
Prescriptions for medications/glasses translated into Spanish and French - Yes
Important phone numbers (us consulates, bank, home , etc.) - Yes, can be loaded into your phone.
Travelers insurance card - Yes, make sure it covers hiking!
MedicAlert tag (either a watch, bracelet, sports band, etc)...Allergies - Yes, make sure you have the info also in French and Spanish.
Copies of all important documents - again, scanned copies can go in a smartphone or in the internet cloud.
Boots. I’m not sure if I want ones that are waterproof or ones that are breathable... Yes, you can get boots that are both ;-)
Either Sandals or Flip-flops, not both.
4 pairs underwear...NOT COTTON - 3 pairs are enough
4 pairs socks (SmartWool) - 2-3 pairs are enough
4 pairs of liner socks - 2-3 pairs are enough
4 shirts...NOT COTTON (2 long sleeve, 2 short) - 3 are enough, one long sleeves
2 pair “convertible” pants - Yes
1 pair lightweight cargo pants...NOT COTTON - No, why?
1 pair cargo shorts, NOT COTTON - No, you can zip off the legs on your walking trousers.
Rain gear (poncho or rain suit) - My preference is a poncho that covers you and your backpack.
Gaiters - Yes
Fleece jumper - Yes, one only I hope ;-)
Boonie hat - Yes.
Warm hat (navy watch hat) - No, you only need one.
Gloves (higher altitudes like at Cruz de Ferro) - Not really necessary in May.
Glasses and sunglasses - Yes.
Spare glasses and sunglasses - Certainly no spare sunglasses, if you need spare glasses depends on how much you still see without them.
"keepers" for glasses/sunglasses - I guess you mean a carry case for them? Yes.

4 oz bottle of 2-in-1 shampoo (replace as needed) - Yes, but replace with something like body and hair shower gel.
Bar of soap in mesh bag - No, use the shower gel.
Microfiber washcloth (REI) - No, why you have hands ;-)
Microfiber towel (REI) - Yes
Toothbrush - Yes
Toothpaste - Yes
Dental Floss - Yes
Sunblock - Yes
Bug juice (small bottle) - Yes
Lip balm - Yes
Meds - Yes
Deodorant (Arm & Hammer unscented) - Not really necessary.
Allergy pills (non-drowsy and Benadryl) - Yes, but take only small quantities, Spain is full of pharmacies where you can buy replacement.
Ear plugs (for snorers in hostels) <---MYSELF included - Yes.
Eyeglass repair kit - Again, if you see enough without glasses to make it to the next town I wouldn't take it.
Sewing kit - A very small one from a hotel I hope!
Toilet paper (tubes removed) - 1/2 roll to start it and then buy more.
Foot powder or Vaseline - Vaseline, not powder, powder can clump when wet and chaf your skin.
Anti-chafe balm (BodyGlide) - If would take either this or Vaseline, not both.
no-rinse soap (washing hands on the trail) - Why?
Pack (treated for bed bugs). I was thinking of one from LL Bean - Yes, make sure it is not too big to avoid the temptation of filling it.
Rain cover (not needed if we wear Altus ponchos) - Correct.
Sleeping bag...find something long enough and lightweight (treated against bugs) - Yes
Twin fitted sheet w/ pillowcase sewn on.(treated against bugs) - Why?
Camping pillow (treated against bugs) - No, use the bag of your sleeping bag and fill with clothes.
Waterproof bags for clothes and sleeping bag - Rubbish bags are fine for that and cheaper ;-)
Ziplock bags for other gear - Yes
Camelbak - Not really a fan of those, I prefer bottles.
Transport bag for pack - Why??? And where will you leave after your arrival?
Whistle - If you think so, I never took one.
Trek poles or walking stick - Yes
Lighter - Yes, but only if you are a smoker, otherwise what would you need it for?
Universal sink plug - Yes
Woolite laundry packets - No, you can use your shower gel for that.
“Kitchen sink” (collapsible washbasin) for laundry or soaking tired feet - Lol, certainly not! There are bassins for both uses in many albergues.
Small trowel (for making “cat holes”) - No, visit a bar instead ;-)
Swiss army knife with good corkscrew - Yes
32 oz wide-mouth Nalgene bottle - Yes
Splash guard for Nalgene bottle - No, why?
Headlamp and battery charger - If you really must, but not much need for this in May.
Reflective tape strips for pack/ankles (walking in the dark) - Yes.
Blinker from a bike (attach to pack for walking in the dark) - No, you already have the stripes.
Money belt - Yes
#36 Nylon twine, OD Green, cut into 20 pieces of 25’ (making rosaries for other peregrinos) - Yes
20 crucifixes, black plastic. - Yes
Mobile phone - Yes, make sure it works in Spain and you know about roaming costs ect.
Backpacking clothesline (for hotels)
Irish Breakfast (or Earl Grey) tea bags/ Starbucks Vita coffee packets - Only a few, buy replacements later. Spain has shops ;-)
Thermos mug with a carabiner attached - No, why???
Knee braces (support when going over the mountains - Yes
SwissCard - You already have a Swiss knife, so no.

Missal/Hymnal...useful for Mass attendance and personal reflection time - Try to find an electronic version that you can load on your phone / Nook, see below.
Digital camera (get one that uses “AA” batteries or can charge via USB) - Yes
SD cards - Yes
iPod touch with cable and earphones - Why? Don't you like the song of the birds? ;-)
Nook (Bible and Divine Office loaded on) - You can load a lot of stuff on it and save so considerably in weight.
Spanish phrasebook - yes, but try to find an e-version.
Journal and pens - yes, or use your smartphone to write
Airmail stationery (get stamps from Tobacconist shops) - You can buy that in Spain if needed, no need to bring it
Rosary (NOT Cursillo one) - Yes
Pilgrim guide for Camino Frances - Yes, try to find a e-version, lighter.
Packets of Gatorade - Why? 1-2 sachets of rehydration powder for an emergency, then buy to replace.
GU Gel (energy) - No, why? There are shops in Spain, you are not going hiking in the wilderness.
Clif bars No, see above.
Scallop shell painted with Santiago cross[/quote] - Yes.

Hope that helps and don't forget to bring the right chargers / converters for your e-gadgets! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The fate of some spare boots:

Be sure you really need as many as in your photo. If the spare is just because you might want them, leave them home. Take the pair that fits, and walk in Crocs if necessary.

Buen camino!

Attachments

• boots.JPG
    boots.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,568
I recommend Ecover washing -up liquid - used for washing hair, body, dishes and clothes - a little goes a long way and you can generally get it filled up at a health shop (I only needed one refill in 3 months!) Also 'Crocs' for wearing in the evening, in the shower, to cross streams in, or go in the sea, as well as to wear if its really hot or indeed if it's really wet. Ok they don't look great but they are comfy and durable. (look at any hospital - all the staff wear them!) and they weigh practically nothing, I always keep them clipped onto the back of my pack or bike.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're taking far, far too much stuff. Carrying it will make you miserable and increase your risk of injury.

3 pairs underwear. 3 pairs liner socks. Do you plan to change your outer socks daily? If not, reduce those to two.

Take the two pairs of zip offs and forget the other trousers. Take the two short sleeved shirts only - if you're cold, wear your sweater. One hat only or, better, a buff, as it does more.

Take a pair of sandles that will serve both for evenings and the shower, so you can leave the flip flops behind.

Spare glasses and a glasses repair kit? When you're never more than a couple of days from a town with an opticians? Why?

Kitchen sink? No. Trowel? No. Thermos mug? Definately no! Pack cover and waterproof bags? You don't need both. Shampoo and soap and laundry soap? Wash your clothes with your shampoo or your hair in soap - you don't need all three.

I'd lose the pillow - most albergues have them, or you can stuff your pillow case with spare clothes. I'd lose the sheet, too - why do ou need it when you have a sleeping bag?

Seriously, the thing I saw which made pilgrims suffer more than anything was carrying tooo much stuff!

Our latest packing lists are here http://peripatio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/plans-and-packing-weights.html.
We try to make as much as possible serve more than one purpose.
Glasses:- I wear one pair and carry the empty case in my pack. I also have a spare pair which are 'Reactolites'. I cannot see well enough without glasses to risk walking without a spare pair. This year I did think about a repair kit. The weight is absolutely minimal, but so far we have never needed even to tighten a screw so probably won't take it.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.