• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Quiet Camino Route?

Walkingboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was very peaceful. My question is how many walk this route and would I be able to find my own space?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am assuming you are referring to Via de la Plata, which by all accounts would suit your solitary requirements until maybe the very latter stages.

Be careful not to rule out other routes though based on a single criteria, because sometimes the last thing you want is the first thing you need.

If you want quiet... The Mozarabe in January.

Anyway i joined vdlp in Merida in mid-February and can confirm you'll have plenty of space and only a handful of other pilgrims you'll likely meet in the albergues in the evenings.

But after the mozarabe it was odd seeing other people occasionally while walking

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
What time of year are you planning for your Camino? That will make a difference as to how busy a route is, or in the case of the VdlP from Sevilla, how advisable it is to walk at that time.

What time of year are you planning for your Camino?
The VdlP fits the bill but don´t go in high summer, it will be much too hot and there is little support between towns and villages. The Olvidado, which starts in Bilbao would be better in summer but it finishes in Ponferrada on the Francés. From there you could follow the Invierno.

I've been lucky enough to walk this way twice. The pro's there are days where you can see a pilgrim a click or two a head and a click or two behind and you have space. You wave when they pass but you dont have to talk. It hurts to talk some days. There are otherdays blessidly, where you say good bye to the camino family at the accomodation and never really see them or hear voices again until dinner.

Its a route that you can set your interaction level and then go, make friends or make peace with your self. I went in late April. Didin't get to Seville untill the 15th of may? will need to check the stamps. Seville was full of summer tourists but the road was quiet.

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The VdlP is very quiet. We hiked it from mid-September through October last year - During the day sometimes we might see 5 or 6 other pilgrims, sometimes none. Including cyclists, the most crowded we saw at albergues was maybe 15. But we didn't stay in alburques in the big cities, so there might be more then.

If you want something even more solitary, we started by walking the 10-day Via Serrana from La Linea de la Concepcion (right by Gibraltar) to Seville. We saw a handful of hikers but nobody who was a pilgrim walking the route we were walking during that entire 10 days. An extraordinary camino, but you have to be resourceful with GPS, etc. - it's not the world's best-markered camino.

I agree with the comments about the time of year. The VdlP gets brutally hot for several months during the summer. But it's a splendid camino with magnificent cities, amazing history and varied terrain.

The VdlP is very quiet. We hiked it from mid-September through October last year - During the day sometimes we might see 5 or 6 other pilgrims, sometimes none. Including cyclists, the most crowded we saw at albergues was maybe 15. But we didn't stay in alburques in the big cities, so there might be more then.

If you want something even more solitary, we started by walking the 10-day Via Serrana from La Linea de la Concepcion (right by Gibraltar) to Seville. We saw a handful of hikers but nobody who was a pilgrim walking the route we were walking during that entire 10 days. An extraordinary camino, but you have to be resourceful with GPS, etc. - it's not the world's best-markered camino.

I agree with the comments about the time of year. The VdlP gets brutally hot for several months during the summer. But it's a splendid camino with magnificent cities, amazing history and varied terrain.

Loved Via Serrana, good recommendation!

What time of year are you planning for your Camino? That will make a difference as to how busy a route is, or in the case of the VdlP from Sevilla, how advisable it is to walk at that time.
The VdlP fits the bill but don´t go in high summer, it will be much too hot and there is little support between towns and villages.
I would agree about the time of year. I started in Sevilla about October 20, 2021 and it was over 90 every day for about 9 days. No shade at all. I would avoid all southern camino routes from mid May until late October. Temperatures can easily rise above 100F consistently.
When I walked there were alot of days I met pilgrims in albergues. During the day I hardly ever saw pilgrims as I walked. If you seek solitary as I do when I walk the caminos like the VDLP, Mozarabe, Lana etc. are made for you! I was thinking of doing the Mozarabe this year but because of circumstances I would end up starting about October 10. So ii has to wait for next year for the Mozarabe. I will be walking three different caminos this year. WIll start on the Madrid about October 23 or 24.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was very peaceful. My question is how many walk this route and would I be able to find my own space?
I walked half of the Via de la Plata last April starting in Sevilla. Very few people compared to Frances, Portuguese, Norte etc. I would see same half dozen people on the trail most days. I mostly walked alone and did meet someone that I walked with for a week or so. He wasn’t a big talker so it was nice peaceful walking. You’ll find lots of peace and quiet on this route.

I did the VdlP in April, it was quiet and I moved north with the advancing spring weather. The migratory birds were returning, the countryside was alive. There were other pilgrims, it was not crowded or solitary.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cami Catalan, out of Montserrat. I've done it three times, totalling 40 days walking, and met five pilgrims in total.
@Walkingboy, I agree that the Catalan is a good candidate for you. I walked Oct/Nov. At albergues for the first few days I met walkers going the opposite direction on the Camino Ignaciano. One night with a very fast walker heading to Santiago and one night sharing an albergue with a hiker using it as a base camp for day hikes in the Pyrenees foothills. Log books indicated other walkers were ahead of me by days. You can continue walking on the Aragonese with more people but the numbers will still be low. In the autumn I found the landscape dreary but in spring it should be cheery (green fields and orchards in bloom). As a northern route the heat shouldn't be oppressive.

I’m currently on the via de la plata and can confirm it is quiet. For the past 7 nights it has only been me and a french woman in the albergues. Today we are in Lubian and it is slightly busier in the albergue but I walked today and saw no other pilgrims. I did chat with some old locals and saw great wildlife

I started from Sevilla on 22 September. In the early weeks it was hot but quite manageable by starting before dawn - around 6.30 and finishing by 1.00 pm at the latest.
I had days when there was only me - both walking and in albergues. There were other days when there were more people with whom I could hang out with or not - as I felt like it.
I think most pilgrims on VDLP are a solitary lot - that’s why they chose that Camino. It’s a wonderful Camino - particularly if you have time to walk to Santiago via the Sanabres. Such a range of landscapes.
Buen Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back