• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Adverse weather? Q to pilgrims walking now

• Thread starter Former member 97924
  • Start date
F

Former member 97924

I'm starting my Camino in 2 weeks' time. I am an extremely laid-back and spontaneous person and tend to dismiss worries and warnings. If I want to do something and I think it's worthwhile, I tend to just go for it, just like with my previous Camino.

However. My mother has started to send me videos and articles of massive extreme weather events from all over Europe, including Spain. She wants me to not travel to Spain and walk through the countryside at the moment. She's getting very worried. Now obviously I will just go anyway, barring some monumental catastrophe, but I'd really like to reassure her. Can anyone (perhaps someone currently walking the Frances - my route) help me out? Is this area of Spain susceptible to extreme flooding, severe storms, etc.?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Here in Spain we have not had any extreme weather event in recent times ... and even counting the unpredictability of the weather ... I have not heard any extreme weather forecast.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mothers are the best, yes :)
She sent me videos of huge floods and storms taking off the tops of rooves in Spain. That's what I'm talking about, not just a bit of rain. Again, as I said, this doesn't bother me, but mothers are mothers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was a very large storm covering much of Spain, not an extreme weather event as such. I mean, it wasn't a hurricane. These are very rare in Europe ; so when we do have them, by definition that's extreme weather.

Just tell her that if the weather gets bad you'll hunker down in a hotel or albergue until it passes. There's no requirement for a pilgrim to venture out in a raging tempest, though I suppose there's extra spiritual merit in that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loved walking in the rain. If you have the right gear, it's part of the pleasure of doing something a little different. I live in a place (central coast California) where it doesn't rain for 9 to 10 contiguous months at a time. To walk in rain was heavenly. So long as I kept my core warm and dryish, I was always fine...and if you can keep your gear dry (thick trash bag containing your gear on the inside of your bag, poncho on the outside) you should be just fine. ¡Buen camino!

I loved walking in the rain. If you have the right gear, it's part of the pleasure of doing something a little different. I live in a place (central coast California) where it doesn't rain for 9 to 10 contiguous months at a time. To walk in rain was heavenly. So long as I kept my core warm and dryish, I was always fine...and if you can keep your gear dry (thick trash bag containing your gear on the inside of your bag, poncho on the outside) you should be just fine. ¡Buen camino!
I agree - coming from San Diego - place of seemingly eternal sun - walking across the Meseta in the pouring rain and ankle deep mud was such a joy!

To be fair to your mum the weather (in France at least) has been horrible for the last few weeks. Lots of heavy rain and a big thunderstorm. I wouldn’t say extreme but pretty miserable... I wish I was walking in Spain as the weather sounds better :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There were days one September when it was so hot… I would have welcomed a heavy, sustained, downpour. If you check the weather the night before you walk, and then the early morning before you depart each day, then a large weather front will not be a surprise and you can plan accordingly. We walked 27 days in mostly heavy rain one March. Go with”flow”😀!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for your comments - so many of them!

Many of you didn't seem to get it that the point here was to find something reassuring to say to the worried mother of a pilgrim and not to persuade someone to be more adventurous. Dancing with the rain, going with the flow (nice puns, btw) and a photo of a pilgrim sitting in a flooded square (which I loved, also btw) may be good for the latter (which I don't need, as I stated), but they certainly won't help with the former. If anything, they would make her more worried.

I did get a few helpful suggestions though. Thank you very much for those. I know what to say to her now. It's no big deal; I just needed a little input.

When one usually stop when in bad weather? Lighting? Thunder? Well alone, women in middle of the rain i find it more difficult to use a phone and find help if one needs it no? Curious how many solo women venture under the bad weather and just keep going??? I am all for an adventure but safety is also important and more older more seems like safety levels changes. 😊

Thank you for your comments - so many of them!

Many of you didn't seem to get it that the point here was to find something reassuring to say to the worried mother of a pilgrim and not to persuade someone to be more adventurous. Dancing with the rain, going with the flow (nice puns, btw) and a photo of a pilgrim sitting in a flooded square (which I loved, also btw) may be good for the latter (which I don't need, as I stated), but they certainly won't help with the former. If anything, they would make her more worried.

I did get a few helpful suggestions though. Thank you very much for those. I know what to say to her now. It's no big deal; I just needed a little input.

Aaah... forgot to tell you. I got the picture from someone who wrote: this is where my mother lives

😇

Tell your mother to go on any of the several weather sites on the internet. So many of them. She can see exactly what is going on. Actual science. Radar. Monitoring stations etc.
Besides, you are walking the Camino, not climbing Everest and you are doing it during the summer. Every time I walked it during the summer I never wore anything but shorts and a t-shirt. No worries. Enjoy. Buen Camino.

And some additional advice: you can tell your mother that extreme weather conditions in Spain only occur at nighttime and never during walking hours.

😉

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.