• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for SJPP and next day to Orrison

Melissa Barry

Time of past OR future Camino
Start 9/1/17
Hello all !
I'm very new to all of this. I just made the decision to do the Camino and I'm finding that maybe I needed a little more planning time, however, the plane tickets are already purchased.

I booked my first night in SJPP through bookings.com and heard back from gite azkorria that they are full. They gave me the name of MAKILA for another place to try. Then I received an email back from the refuge orrison that they are booked for what I though would be my second night. They gave me the offer of staying at Gite Atton saying that someone (a friend of his) would come by car to get me and bring me back to orrison the next day.

I don't know any of these places and does this all sound legit? How about logistically? Should I just try and spend both nights at this Gite Atton? Has anyone had any experience with any of these places? I'm worried I'm not going to have anywhere to stay (not only for the first two nights but throughout journey). It seems everything is very full. Thanks for you help and advice !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome,
How soon are you going? Where are you coming from? How long will you have to walk the Camino?
Yes this is normal. Orisson fills fast, has only 28 beds.
Just begin searching for a bed at St Jean, you will find one.

Welcome,
How soon are you going? Where are you coming from? How long will you have to walk the Camino?
Yes this is normal. Orisson fills fast, has only 28 beds.
Just begin searching for a bed at St Jean, you will find one.

I arrive in Biarritz on August 31 (this year). I am coming from New York through Paris. I have tickets to return on Oct 18th.
What do you think about the Gite Antton which it seems is neither right in SJPP ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I arrive in Biarritz on August 31 (this year). I am coming from New York through Paris. I have tickets to return on Oct 18th.
What do you think about the Gite Antton which it seems is neither right in SJPP ?
Hi, Melissa and welcome to the forum!

It looks like Gite Antton is approx.2 km from SJPdP center but on the Camino. That's what their web page says:
http://www.chemindecompostelle.com/giteantton/index.html
If the prices listed there (22€/person) are correct that's quite cheap for a private room in France.

If you like to walk first day to Orisson and sleep in the Pyrenees maybe ask them if they have spare place in their secondary house Gite Kayola which is roughly 1 km before Orisson: https://www.gronze.com/francia/pirineos-atlanticos/orisson/gite-kayola
or another option in Honto, which is 3,5km before Orisson: https://www.gronze.com/francia/pirineos-atlanticos/honto/gite-chambre-dhotes-ferme-ithurburia

Still Antton can be good choice with pick up/drop off service. Maybe you can have early dinner at Orisson and breakfast at Antton and then continue walking from Orisson after the owner take you back up.

Anyway Buen Camino!

There are several places available on Booking.com in the center of SJPDP on 8/31 (use map view). You mentioned Gite Makila which looks like a great place to stay as far as location. You can walk to Roncesvalles in one day, so you do not have to stop in Orrison. Although KinkyOne has some good alternative suggestions.

However, you should probably make a reservation at the albergue in Roncesvalles as there are not a lot of options for places to stay there. http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/

You will definitely have places to stay throughout your journey - the first few days and the last few days are crowded and you may have to be creative, but between Pamplona and Sarria we did not have any difficulties booking a place an hour or so in advance in April/May 2015, and although we prebooked the whole journey for ourselves and a travelling companion for late May/June 2017 because we thought June would be crowded, it was not necessary (we were the only people on the trail most days) and I wish we had had more flexibility. Our travelling companion cancelled all of his reservations after Zubiri and had no problem finding a bed the rest of the journey.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like - I know planning a journey like this can be intimidating. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
However, you should probably make a reservation at the albergue in Roncesvalles as there are not a lot of options for places to stay there. http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/
@Melissa Barry that's very good advice for a first timer because Roncesvalles albergue started with this reservation process this spring and not many people know that. Although I'm sure Pilgrim Office in SJPdP would ask/tell you about that.

There are several places available on Booking.com in the center of SJPDP on 8/31 (use map view). You mentioned Gite Makila which looks like a great place to stay as far as location. You can walk to Roncesvalles in one day, so you do not have to stop in Orrison. Although KinkyOne has some good alternative suggestions.

You will definitely have places to stay throughout your journey - the first few days and the last few days are crowded and you may have to be creative, but between Pamplona and Sarria we did not have any difficulties booking a place an hour or so in advance in April/May 2015, and although we prebooked the whole journey for ourselves and a travelling companion for late May/June 2017 because we thought June would be crowded, it was not necessary (we were the only people on the trail most days) and I wish we had had more flexibility. Our travelling companion cancelled all of his reservations after Zubiri and had no problem finding a bed the rest of the journey.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you would like - I know planning a journey like this can be intimidating. Buen Camino!

The problem I've run into is that I book through Booking.com but then receive direct email from Gite saying they have no beds.

I book through Booking.com but then receive direct email from Gite
Do you have the date, nights you want to stay filled out? That's the only thing I can think of causing your problem with reserving. Reserving through Booking.com and getting the response from the Gite is normal. I have made two reservations that way.

For St Jean you can reserve.
Orisson is full, you have to go to their web page to ask about overflow availability.
Roncesvalles albergue must be reserved on their web site as well.
It may take a few days to hear back. That's normal.

A bed in a dorm may also be more available than a private room.

Last edited:
There is no problem reserving. Booking is taking my reservation but 3 times now I have received an email after booking that has come directly from the booked place saying they are sorry but they are full. That is my problem.
I have been in direct contact through email with Orisson also and they offered to have a friend from Gite Antton come and get me when I reach Orisson. I didn't know if this was normal practice as I am a female travelling alone and would be in a car with some unknown person going to somewhere i don't even know.

Walking to Orisson can be done in 3 hours, some do it even faster. So ...

1. you could keep walking to Rincesvalles
2. ask about the alternative options on the hii
3. taxi back down and up again in the morning.

If you opt for 3:

1. Spend the two nights at the same place and climb up without your full backpack
2. Pick a place located so that you can walk around SJPP during the day
3. Don't have dinner in Orisson: it would be a long day of waiting there for dinner to be served (I was there at 10 am, in Roncesvalles btpy 3:30pm)

You can also take the Valcarlos route where the albergue has many beds.

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/roncesvalles

https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's normal, and a very nice offer to help you out. You will find people along the Camino will do their best and go out of their way to help you. Just say "Yes and thank you very much."

Thank you...that's kind of what I wanted to know. I'm from NY and I am a burnt out social worker. I'm quite jaded and discouraged. So when a stranger offers a ride my mind immediately goes to bad places....I'm hoping to get back to who I use to be and regain some faith in myself...and humanity.

Thank you...that's kind of what I wanted to know. I'm from NY and I am a burnt out social worker. I'm quite jaded and discouraged. So when a stranger offers a ride my mind immediately goes to bad places....I'm hoping to get back to who I use to be and regain some faith in myself...and humanity.
Now I understand better. Thank you for explaining why you would question and be very cautious. Please use the forum to find out what you want to know. There is a search area at the top of the main page. I spent some time reading and some time asking questions. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The problem I've run into is that I book through Booking.com but then receive direct email from Gite saying they have no beds.
I have not had that experience with Booking, so I cannot give you any advice on that. I definitely would go by what the people at the accommodation are telling you.

However, I can offer advice as far as your worries concerning lack of accommodations throughout your journey which is that what is available on Booking.com is not a reflection of what is available on the Camino. Most places (especially albergues which are great places to meet people) are not listed on Booking.com. I used a couple of guide books - Brierly's guide and Leslie Gilmore's ebook guide which had links to many accommodations not listed on Booking: https://www.caminoadventures.com/camino-guide-books/ I think the accommodations are listed on his site as well, so you don't have to buy the book, but I thought it was a useful planning tool.

I also used the resources listed on this site under "most popular resources" and my most favorite way to find a place to stay - walking around on Google street maps. :) My planning was ridiculous (but I enjoyed it :) ) and as I said earlier between Pamplona and Sarria completely unnecessary and somewhat of a pain to be so prepared and stuck on a rigid course (which Booking.com made a little more difficult because one is not dealing directly with the accommodation when one wants to cancel one's plans).

I think you are very wise to be cautious AND I think you will find on the Camino that people will go out of their way to help you (this happens everyday at home, but I think we take these kindnesses for granted in our daily life). We will all be looking out for you as you make your way along the Camino.

Hi.me and friend walked Camino in June and got as far as orrison first day..they were full and arranged for someone from gitte anton to pick us up and drop us off back next morning.very nice clean place to stay I think it was €35 for bed and 3 course meal..definitely a good idea.next day we walked from orisson to Burgette as didn't like the crowds at roncevailles..so enjoy and burn camino

It is always a surprise to me that so much worry and stress is generated by the legend of Orisson and the Napoleon Route.
1. Most Pilgrims do not stop at Orisson. There is a very limited number of beds compared to the number of pilgrims walking to Roncesvalles each day.
2. The original route is through Valcarlos.... not the "Napoleon" route.

This will be my first journey after some medical issues I have had recently. I thought it best to start slowly and thought stopping at Orisson would be a good idea for me. Also, even in tip top shape I am a slow hiker/walker. I have asthma/compressed lungs and two metal rods in my back.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I thought it best to start slowly
Yes, start slowly. I have compressed disks as well as other back issues. You can have your pack transported to Orrison and to Roncesvalles. I plan to take advantage of this service. Ask at St. Jean or see here http://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/ or http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transporte-mochilas.php

After Roncesvalles you don't need to walk far to the next place you can stay the night. I have Wise Pilgrim app on my phone and love it for planning. We have no reservations after Roncesvalles, so will just walk short days until I build up my abilities. I have trained, very slowly, at home.

Lighten your pack as much as possible so it will be easier when you do carry it. What kind of pack do you have?

Take an emergency inhaler as well as your daily one. Altitude and/or exercise may cause you to need it. Don't wait until you are full blown in the middle of an attack, use it when your lungs feel stressed.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Breaking the first day into two days is a good idea for many people for a number of reasons.

The point I was making is that Orisson and the Napoleon route are not the only option. I have done both routes several times as many here have done. The Napoleon route is the fad and the myths and legends are what everyone hears.
In my opinion, it is not a better route...nor even a harder route than the Valcarlos. The first 7 km to Orisson are steep and difficult for those on their first day. After that it is pretty much a gentle walk on pavement most of the way.
In my opinion the Valcarlos route is just as difficult and challenging.
The horror stories are just that...stories. However, in bad weather the Napoleon is very difficult and can be dangerous.

There are good places to stay in the town of Valcarlos.

It is not necessary to walk the Napoleon route or to make complicated arrangements just to stay at Orisson.
Most of the folks who tout the Napoleon route over the Valcarlos have not walked both and have no real basis of comparison.

I suggest you make the start of your adventure as simple as possible and avoid unneeded complications.

Yes, start slowly. I have compressed disks as well as other back issues. You can have your pack transported to Orrison and to Roncesvalles. I plan to take advantage of this service. Ask at St. Jean or see here http://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/ or http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transporte-mochilas.php

After Roncesvalles you don't need to walk far to the next place you can stay the night. I have Wise Pilgrim app on my phone and love it for planning. We have no reservations after Roncesvalles, so will just walk short days until I build up my abilities. I have trained, very slowly, at home.

Lighten your pack as much as possible so it will be easier when you do carry it. What kind of pack do you have?

Take an emergency inhaler as well as your daily one. Altitude and/or exercise may cause you to need it. Don't wait until you are full blown in the middle of an attack, use it when your lungs feel stressed.

Thank you. Yes, got the inhaler. My pack is kind of large on the liter-side but it is a ULA circuit and is 39 ounces. It is my hiking pack and I love it. I don't want to spend anymore money getting a smaller pack. Because of my scoliosis it was very hard to find one that fit just right and this one does. It's actually a child's adjustable size....lol I'm really short in the torso because of my curved spine.

Breaking the first day into two days is a good idea for many people for a number of reasons.

The point I was making is that Orisson and the Napoleon route are not the only option. I have done both routes several times as many here have done. The Napoleon route is the fad and the myths and legends are what everyone hears.
In my opinion, it is not a better route...nor even a harder route than the Valcarlos. The first 7 km to Orisson are steep and difficult for those on their first day. After that it is pretty much a gentle walk on pavement most of the way.
In my opinion the Valcarlos route is just as difficult and challenging.
The horror stories are just that...stories. However, in bad weather the Napoleon is very difficult and can be dangerous.

There are good places to stay in the town of Valcarlos.

It is not necessary to walk the Napoleon route or to make complicated arrangements just to stay at Orisson.
Most of the folks who tout the Napoleon route over the Valcarlos have not walked both and have no real basis of comparison.

I suggest you make the start of your adventure as simple as possible and avoid unneeded complications.
Thank you....is the Valcarlos very well marked? Just as much as the Napoleon? I was looking forward to the views of the Napoleon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Melissa Barry,
I understand your excitement and questions about beginning the Camino. The people at Orrison were very nice when we were there and I very much doubt that they would try to take advantage of you. We found that many albergue owners on the Camino were willing to help you find another bed or call you a cab to another town with a bed when needed. You can always travel back to the location where you were originally picked up to start the next day. We also received help to call ahead for the next night at many locations. Booking.com is a familiar product for many, but lots of great locations do not take reservations online. We found many might hold you a bed until a certain time with a contact by phone or email.
Janet

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you....is the Valcarlos very well marked? Just as much as the Napoleon? I was looking forward to the views of the Napoleon.

Actually, the Valcarlos Route is the only year round route. The Napoleon route is closed from October through March.
It is very well marked and highly traveled. I am not sure of the numbers or where the numbers might come from...but I would think that the number of pilgrims would be at least equal on any given day on the two routes.
I don't think that there is any way to know the numbers on either route as the two just fork after St. Jean. Most walk on through to Roncesvalles on both routes.
There is a limited number of beds at Orisson on the Napoleon and a greater number available on the Valcarlos, thus I would guess that more people stop on the Valcarlos.

The views on the Napoleon are very often blanked by mist and fog even in the summer so that is not a sure thing. There are no villages or towns on the Napoleon. There is just the albergue/café at Orisson with nothing around it.
The Valcarlos route does go through a couple of villages.

On the way to Valcarlos the route does indeed pass through a few small villages with a large grocery, resto and gas station in Arneguy. mHowever after Valcarlos there is neither food nor potable water until you reach the Roncesvalles monastery.... Be prepared!

Last edited:
It is very well marked and highly traveled. I am not sure of the numbers or where the numbers might come from...but I would think that the number of pilgrims would be at least equal on any given day on the two routes.

That was certainly not my experience when walking the Valcarlos route last September at a time when every albergue bed in St Jean had been full the previous night. Between St Jean and Roncesvalles I met only four other pilgrims walking. I arrived at Roncesvalles around 3pm to find the place heaving with people who had walked the Route Napoleon, with many more arriving later. The vast majority seem to have walked the Napoleon. The Valcarlos was very much the route less travelled.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Melissa,
I am arriving Paris August 31 from California! I have tickets to return on October 14th. How are you getting from Paris to Biarritz/SJPP? Where are you flying out from on the 18th Oct.? I fly out from Paris on the 14th Oct.
Thank you
Beth

Hey,....if it doesn't reconcile your humanity.....you can hang with this ChubbyHikerGirl and her NY Cousin. We will all poke fun at each other. See you on the road.

Hey,....if it doesn't reconcile your humanity.....you can hang with this ChubbyHikerGirl and her NY Cousin. We will all poke fun at each other. See you on the road.

Are you going to be out there during this time too? So cool to find/meet (virtually) people beforehand !!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Melissa,
I am arriving Paris August 31 from California! I have tickets to return on October 14th. How are you getting from Paris to Biarritz/SJPP? Where are you flying out from on the 18th Oct.? I fly out from Paris on the 14th Oct.
Thank you
Beth
I am flying from Paris to Biarritz. I think I have a 3 hour wait in Paris. I guess from Biarritz I take a train/taxi??? lol ...I'm kind of winging this. I Fly out of Paris on the 18th.....if I decide to come home...lol...I have romantic visions of heading off to Portugal...lol

So, I believe what I will plan on doing is starting early and going to Orission. I think I will then head back down to SJPP. Stay the night again in SJPP and take a taxi to Orission the next day. I very highly doubt I can do the whole stretch to Roncesvalles. Does this sound whacky?? Also, I have taken the other route into serious consideration, but I hiked 56 miles at the beginning of July over 7 days and I was completely alone nearly the whole time. I would like to be around others if only briefly to say hi. It will reassure me.

I was looking forward to the views of the Napoleon.

Hi, I come to this conversation quite late and I haven't had time to read all the responses.... All I wanted to add is that ...sometimes there are NO views whatsoever on the Napoleon route, even in Summer. I last walked it mid-July 2016 and although the route was safe, there was a heavy fog and showers/drizzle ALL the way from Orrisson to Roncesvalles. I could barely see my friend who was slightly ahead of me. I heard the bells of the cows but only saw them when some were on the road in front of me.
You can't predict the weather ;)
Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Valcarlos route is not lonely.
It would not be unusual to not see other pilgrims at times on either route.
Other times you may think you are walking in a parade...especially on the 7km steep climb from St. Jean to Orisson.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back