• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

?any advice for a group of 8 hoping to go to Muxia for the day?

bms1970

All being well we hope to arrive in Santiago late May. We would like to visit Muxia and Finisterre or just Muxia on our remaining day and are looking at several possibilities that might be feasible, there are 8 of us.

We could hire two small cars for the day which would allow us to go to both places or a larger vehicle for all 8 of us.

We have considered going to Muxia by local bus but weren't sure how long it would take to walk out to the Virgen de Barca church spend a little time there and get back in time for the return bus to Santiago-is this feasible?

Are there any organised tours that could take us to either Muxia or both and if so how much does it cost?

Can you go in a taxi and again how much would this cost.?

Regretably none of us speak Spanish fluently so it is somewhat difficult to research all the options but we would be grateful for any advice from the forum. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes there are tours that do both in a day. Others around have the details, so I am sure they will post soon. I seem to recall someone saying that you can get information at the Tourist Office.

bms1970,

I suggest that you wait until Santiago to finalize your Muxia or Finisterre plans.
The Galicia Tourist Office in Santiago at 130 rua do Vilar near the cathedral has a good free list of ALL services on the paths to Finisterre and Muxia. This includes shops, albergues, lodgings, restaurants, bars, banks, buses, taxis and tours. Their multilingual staff is also most helpful.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your query is really a matter of personal preferences. The bus service takes care of you but you will be bound to inflexible schedules and routes; if you want to do both, Muxia and Finisterre, (recommended) your schedule for the day will be tight. A private tour will give more flexibility and the benefits of a local guide, but is bound to be more expensive. And quite frankly, after having walked the entire Camino by myself, I was certainly not ready to be guided around like a tourist.
So my choice was to share a small car rental with 3 compañeros, about 45 € + 10 € Gas divided into 4. (Example www.sixt.es, their pick-up is at the airport)
This gave us complete freedom to move around freely, letting us stop for pictures and leaving us lots of time to spend a fabulous day. The roads are well marked and as seasoned peregrinos, we had no problems to find our way. Btw: I kept the car 'till the next day to drive to the airport for the flight home, at no extra cost (The rental is for 24 hours).

<ps. none of us spoke spanish

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the two places, I preferred Muxia. Tjhe pleasant walk from, the village takes about 20/30 minutes. Remember that the church was gutted by a fire last autumn, so I guess you can't go inside it anymore. Actually, when we went last September, the church was closed and that was before the fire. Anne

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Last September (2013) I stayed at the Seminario Menor (just outside of the downtown area of Santiago de Compostela) and I recall that they had information posted about reasonably-priced bus tours to Finisterre and Muxia. I would suspect that the Tourist Office would have information, as well. You might stop by the soon-to-be opened "Pilgrim House" just one block over from the Pilgrims' Office and see if they can help you. They are in the process of renovating the space but someone should be there during the day. Ask for Nate or Faith -- they are friends of mine.

It's a nice drive and you won't be rushed by the tour company, take you about an hour qnd half up to two hours to get there, hardest part will be leaving and entering Santiago. Most rentals require going to the airport though. Avoid Goldcar as they are worse than bad (lots of hidden costs). Every single hotel or hostel in Santiago, and the tourist office, offer organised day trips to Muxia and Fisterre. I would skip Fisterre if possible, Muxia is much nicer, even if the chapel burnt down. It might be cheaper to take the tour once you factor in the gas and the rental and the insurance.

Thanks everyone for all the helpful replies. I myself and 4 others in our little group have previously been to Muxia and 2 of us have also been to Finsiterre , they are very different places. Muxia is very tranquil and I felt a real sense of completion of my pilgrimage when I went there (by car) following my first camino in 2012. Finisterre is also very beautiful but more touristy so if I could only chose one place to visit it would be Muxia.
I have come to the conclusion that the hire of 2 smalls cars will give us the most flexible options in terms of time and the possibility of going to both places.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, At this stage looks like we are going to finish in SdC on Friday, our flight home is only Monday night. The weather forecast doesnt look to be promising - showers over the whole weekend...
Hi all We are walking the reverse Camino from Muxia to Santiago via Fisterra. Any tips or information to help us on our way?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back