• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any gyms on CF with day passes?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Maybe there are, I don’t know. I’ve always found walking a camino strengthens my whole body including my core, especially if you’re carrying your backpack. In any case, if you feel you need extra, you could always do some sit ups, planks etc just about anywhere. 😎

There are gyms in larger towns of course, but whether any allow a day pass would probably mean contacting each one. I would probably just figure out a simple routine that you could do without going to the gym. I generally find I have plenty to do on a rest day including a nice nap 😴 and allowing for some recovery.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Any gyms on the Camino Frances? Assuming I’mcapable of going there on a rest day , but I think the core training would be worth continuing.
You are a GP so you know a lot more about the physical needs of the human body than I do, but I would be very surprised if you genuinely felt the need to use your rest days to build up your core strength. We don't call them rest days for nothing.

I go to the gym five days a week at home. Never noticed if there were any in my vicinity while walking the Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In larger cities some business hotels will have a small gym. I stay at Marriott properties in the larger cities since I usually have points to get a free night and the AC Hotel brand will often have a workout facility. You can check the hotel amenities before booking in.

Any gyms on the Camino Frances? Assuming I’mcapable of going there on a rest day , but I think the core training would be worth continuing.
There are so many great core programs that are based solely on body weight moves (planks, bird dog, pelvic bridge, dead bugs, clamshells etc) Pack one stretch band and you’ll have your gym with you at all times. As others have said, a week on the Camino and you’ll be fine. Just make sure your core is solid before you start.

You are a GP so you know a lot more about the physical needs of the human body than I do, but I would be very surprised if you genuinely felt the need to use your rest days to build up your core strength
Dick Bird mentions you are a physician. You do know alot more then we do about this subject. Is this your first camino? If it is my advise to you mirrors what others have said. Walk the camino for a week or so and see how you feel. Let your body dictate when you should rest. I have a feeling no matter how much training you do you will appreciate your rest day by being lazy, taking a nap or two, strolling around and drinking coffee in cafes and doing some relaxing eating. Big city, small village there is contentment wherever you choose to stop. I always say walk a few less kilometers rather than a few more and rest a day before you think you really need to instead of waiting a day after.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Post several Caminos, I innocently giggled at the question… but ( bare with me incase that sounds disrespectful), I will admit prior to my first camino I had images of my arriving to towns and then “ taking a jog” to see the town…

I didn’t remember those thoughts some 11 years later until I read your post.
Needless to say I never took a jog, and I was dead tired everyday!!!!

Hope you find what you’re looking for!

I like she follows sea shells comment above. On one of my early caminos. I moticed after a week my stomach was well toned and nearly flat. This is a result I can't get in UK even including daily work outs at the gym

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In larger cities some business hotels will have a small gym. I stay at Marriott properties in the larger cities since I usually have points to get a free night and the AC Hotel brand will often have a workout facility. You can check the hotel amenities before booking in.
I thought about some hotels too, which do list small gyms in Burgos, Leon, Sarria and SdC for sure. But Hotels-may not have the kind of equipment you might need for core workouts…different from what you might get from walking the camino, thatis.

Consider going to a swimming pool! There are a number of albergues/hotels and town pools on the CF if you are walking between May and September. Swimming not only engages your legs, but also works your upper body and core, especially your lats and triceps, Dolphin kicks, flutter kicks, and general swimming will strengthen core, while giving you body, especially your feet a well deserved break from the pounding on the pavement!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My medicare advantage plan includes membership in Silver Sneakers (free membership in lots of gyms). When I was in Milan a few years years ago, I saw there was an Anytime Fitness club about two minutes from our hotel. I had left my little purple fob at home, unfortunately…

Fast forward to this topic, I see there are Anytime Fitness locations in León (Francés), Santander (Norte), Girona (Catalán), Vic (Catalán), Valencia (Levante and Requena), Granada (Mozárabe), and Igualada (Catalán). I’ve walked through all of these places and have never taken advantage.

I agree that spending post-walking time in cafés, museums, etc is a good way to observe the local culture, but so is going to a gym. Things are very different than what many of us know as the US gym culture. I have had some very interesting conversations with people there, so I wouldn’t rule it out if your body is still ready to endure more of a workout after walking.

I think that those who mention hotel gyms are probably giving better advice, though, because most big chain hotels have decent fitness centers.

I like she follows sea shells comment above. On one of my early caminos. I moticed after a week my stomach was well toned and nearly flat. This is a result I can't get in UK even including daily work outs at the gym
Sorry to meander @lizaqua from your original question - but following on from Maggie .. a friend recently asked me if I use walking poles, even on the flat. I said I usually do - I like the rhythm, the fact that my hands don't swell - and, after many hundreds of kms, my upper arms are toned. What a bonus!

Hi liz, this is not something I recall being discussed much here. So I'd guess most of the chatty forum members haven't felt the need to visit the gym while on the camino. The camino is generally working at its best when it makes you forget all your pre-existing routines and just lose yourself to its particular rhythms.
My take on the issue of retaining all-round strength/fitness on the camino is as follows:
The walking that we do for hours each day is generally pretty good for keeping our core in order. The main issue is that we keep a fairly fixed posture and repeat the same walking motion again and again. So taking time later to stretch the overused and underused parts becomes the important thing.
Depending on the routine you get into, most folks find some downtime mid/late afternoon after showering and washing clothes. And then that's a great time to do some stretches (ideally in a sunny albergue garden!) and quite likely some others will want to join you. I've also come across a few people who do Tai Chi forms often at this time too - and that seemed to be working really well for them.
Cheers, tom

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you really feel the need to work on core musculature (which is questionable given the daily work-out walking a Camino with a backpack), I would suggest doing the plank and all its variations. There is no need for machines or weights when you can use your own body weight and it strengthens more muscles than just your core. Just my 2 cents as a physiotherapist and Camino veteran;)

Many of the larger Camino towns have municipal leisure centres (polideportivos) with swimming pools and other facilities. A swim is a great way of stretching and relaxing after a long walk.
Public parks sometimes have outdoor exercise equipment (but I’ve never had the energy or inclination to use them!).

use your own body weight program, You don’t always need treadmills and weights to work out. I know if I asked my PT to write me a body weight program to take he would. Include bear crawls- burpees, push ups etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the CF west of Puente La Reina/east of Cirauqui in the town of Villatuerta the Poli de Portivo San Giné, Calle Regueta, 2 is a large sports center open to all.

There are several swimming pools, a weights room and various outdoor fields. The. indoor bar is open throughout the day and well heated in winter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a youth hostel on the Norte with a Gym. When they offered it to me I asked if they ever had pilgrims accept the offer. The answer was "strangely enough, no"

I had planned to do yoga each evening before I did my first Camino. I ended up hobbling to the nearest restaurant and then hobbling to my bed.
Totally get it! Although I get up 4-5 mornings a week at 5.15 a.m. to go to yoga, the one time I took a mat I never used it. I guess if you do short stages and are at the albergue early it might be an option but I walk into the afternoon. After showering, doing my wash, eating and visiting the town I'm pretty much done for the day😂

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Both the albergues I have volunteered at had plenty of yoga mats that had been left by pilgrims who didn't want to carry them. I'm sure yoga practitioners will find plenty of mats without carrying them from home...

We do CrossFit at home in Texas so I took this pic of my friend doing an overhead squat in 2017 leaving Logroño with her 22pound backpack on. We sent it to our trainer!

E4DCA217-6CB8-4578-82C4-43D7DADE7E9B.jpeg

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back